With Mayfiled lighting up the league for the past month and fun personality are you starting to wish Darnold didn't fall to us?

Jetsbb

Do you wish we had Mayfield lighting it up on the field and in the newspapers?  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Do you wish we had Mayfield lighting it up on the field and in the newspapers?

• Wish Mayfiled was my QB
    • No Happy with Darnold having a typical rookie year

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, King P said:

You guys think everything is douchey, because none of you have any personality. 

Thats another reason why Darnold is perfect for this fanbase, because he has the personality of a wooden plank 

Rex Ryan had plenty of personality, as did a lot of guys on the roster he built.  How did that work out?

38 minutes ago, Stark said:

If people here can't stand Jamal Adams talking, they would loose their sh!t if Mayfield was here. 

Not if the team is winning more games than they are losing.

Remember how the fans loved big mouth Rex when they were performing well?

If the Jets had 8 wins right now Jamal would be a god here.

9 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Actually he did, literally. The Ravens were leading 3-0 with less than 2 mins left before halftime. Baker runs their 2 min offense 80 yards for a TD to take the lead heading into halftime. At the end of regulation the score is 9 all and they head into overtime. 

Baker gets the ball with 2 minutes left in Overtime and he marches the offense down the field into scoring position and wins the game. 

That's how it happened. I didn't expect it to be 50-0 Cleveland. This Ravens defense is the #1 defense in America you know. 

You mean he didn't score his 12 points against the offense?  Kudos. 

12 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Celebrating a 12-9 win reminds me of the Sanchez days. 

It's not a celebration. It's an acknowledgement to those who've made it a thing to discredit his performance against lower ranked teams in order to make it seem like he cant hold his own against tougher opponents. 

Sure, the boxscore won't tell the entire story. But what Mayfield has been showing in multiple games (including the Ravens game) is a tendency to move the offense at critical moments and put them into scoring position. The Browns won that Ravens game because of 2 separate 2 min drives. One before halftime, and one in overtime. He's shown the ability to do that in a few games. That's a tendency that you want in your QB because it shows an ability to close. 

7 minutes ago, King P said:

You guys think everything is douchey, because none of you have any personality. 

Thats another reason why Darnold is perfect for this fanbase, because he has the personality of a wooden plank

You think JN lacks personality?  lol  You must be dead.

And I'll have you know, I'm known for my personality and good looks.

10 minutes ago, peebag said:

Baker is a perfect fit for Cleveland.  Sam is a perfect fit here.

That is all.

Bottom 5 QB is a perfect fit? Hard to say that when all Darnold has proven is that he is about a good a rookie QB as Sanchez and Geno were. Didn't turn out great for those two.

2 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

The Kudos was actually getting the W.

The kudos goes to the Browns D, which statistically has been only slightly below the Ravens in the metrics this year. 

Mayfield is having a solid season.  Being ranked the # 20 QB by DVOA is really good for a rookie.  But there's no need to exaggerate how good it's been like you're doing here. 

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

For sure.  In no way am I knocking his talent or level of play to date.  Only suggesting there's a chance he's a ticking timebomb.  We'll see.

Which is why I was ultimately cool with drafting him.  I wanted front row seats to the crash and burn and if he actually panned out, even better! lol

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The kudos goes to the Browns D, which statistically has been only slightly below the Ravens in the metrics this year. 

Mayfield is having a solid season.  Being ranked the # 20 QB by DVOA is really good for a rookie.  But there's no need to exaggerate how good it's been like you're doing here. 

However you want to slice it, folks are going to slice it in the direction they want to cut. 

The Browns defense didn't score the points that gave them the win. So maybe folks shouldn't be so quick to write off the offense and the head of that offense for getting the points needed, especially when they had to get those points against a defense ranked #1 in the league today. 

Why the semantics? 

10 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

Bottom 5 QB is a perfect fit? Hard to say that when all Darnold has proven is that he is about a good a rookie QB as Sanchez and Geno were. Didn't turn out great for those two.

sure, just right him off before the end of his rookie season.

GFOH

6 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

However you want to slice it, folks are going to slice it in the direction they want to cut. 

The Browns defense didn't score the points that gave them the win. So maybe folks shouldn't be so quick to write off the offense and the head of that offense for getting the points needed, especially when they had to get those points against a defense ranked #1 in the league today. 

Why the semantics?  

It's not semantics.  In no way do I ever find a 12-9 victory to be impressive for the QB, no matter how good the opposing defense is.  I don't see what the problem is.  Mayfield is good.  This win was not a big deal one way or the other.  Pretty simple.

1 minute ago, Villain The Foe said:

***A win after 5 quarters of play*** 

Thats a rare commodity out there in Cleveland. Sort of like at MetLife.  

They're a pretty good team this year.  Only -30 in net points.  Mayfield is a big part of that, but the young talent they've accumulated as a whole is starting to come together.  Myles Garrett, Njoku, Chubb, Denzel Ward, Landry, a pretty decent offensive line, etc.  

20 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Look... I loved Mayfield. I watched so much college football last year and it was obvious he was the best QB in the draft. I thought Darnold was an average prospect and an average player. I booed at MetLife stadium when Goodell said Sam Darnold. I love Mayfield’s arrogance and his marketability. I think Sam is boring. 

But even I think this is one of the dumbest threads I’ve ever seen.

and this has to be the dumbest post I have ever read.

3 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

***A win after 5 quarters of play*** 

Thats a rare commodity out there in Cleveland. Sort of like at MetLife. 

True.  Mayfield's game winning field goal and superb defense keeping the Ravens to 9 points was on full display.

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

It's not semantics.  In no way do I ever find a 12-9 victory to be impressive for the QB, no matter how good the opposing defense is.  I don't see what the problem is.  Mayfield is good.  This win was not a big deal one way or the other.  Pretty simple.

Maybe you should. Our team is losing 6-13 to a Miami team that's ranked 22nd in points allowed and 29th in yards per game. 

You're worry about the wrong thing. Like I said, this is a kid that got the W not because he scored 50 points and blew the doors off the team, but because on two key 2 min drives he moved the ball and put points on the board when it mattered most. You can get stats all damn day, but it means nothing if you're not winning the football game. Mayfield did what he needed to do to win the game. 

Winning the game against that level of defense and a division rival is a big deal to them, which is the only thing that matters. The thing thats pretty simple is understanding that the objective is to get the W. 

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

They're a pretty good team this year.  Only -30 in net points.  Mayfield is a big part of that, but the young talent they've accumulated as a whole is starting to come together.  Myles Garrett, Njoku, Chubb, Denzel Ward, Landry, a pretty decent offensive line, etc.  

I ABOSOLUTELY AGREE WITH THIS. 

This is much different than saying "He's a bust, he's only playing well because he's playing against poor defenses". That narrative isnt true. 

Again, my point wasn't a celebration, but showing that the dude is doing more than just being carried by his defense (Sanchez) or beating up on scrub teams. There are critical moments in games that Baker Mayfield is stepping up, and it's crazy to see from a rookie. 

Will he have ups and downs? Sure, and we'll be right here talking about it when he has those downs as well. But just like folks wouldn't want me to damage control his downs with nonsensical comments, I think folks need not to do that when it comes to his ups. 

16 minutes ago, JiF said:

True.  Mayfield's game winning field goal and superb defense keeping the Ravens to 9 points was on full display.

You want to hear something funny? 

Scoring drives are credited to the quarterback. Especially game winning scoring drives. 

Take the good with the bad JIF. When folks were talking about all of Mayfield's turnovers in that Raiders game, no one wanted to hear about the pick 6 being a dropped pass by Callaway and a fumble being a botched snap by the Center. Why? Because ultimately those stats are credited to the QB. 

Folks had their cake when it was about all those turnovers, eat the cake now that it's about completing a scoring drive to beat the best defense in the league.  

Folks who hate on this dude cannot have it both ways. 

10 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Why the semantics? 

Funny that you are crying semantics. 

The Browns D didn't score?  Okay, but Denzel Ward did pick Flacco off at the goal line to save one score.  The also recovered a Buck Allen fumble in Ravens territory that led to a field goal.  Plus, when Mayfield was picked off at his own 30 they only gave up 7 yards and 3 points.  To be fair, the Browns also missed and extra point and a 55 yard FG near the end of regulation.  He won the game.  Nobody is taking that away, but he didn't exactly light up the Ravens. 

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

Funny that you are crying semantics. 

The Browns D didn't score?  Okay, but Denzel Ward did pick Flacco off at the goal line to save one score.  The also recovered a Buck Allen fumble in Ravens territory that led to a field goal.  Plus, when Mayfield was picked off at his own 30 they only gave up 7 yards and 3 points.  To be fair, the Browns also missed and extra point and a 55 yard FG near the end of regulation.  He won the game.  Nobody is taking that away, but he didn't exactly light up the Ravens. 

How many points the the Browns defense score? 

I'll wait. 

1 hour ago, Jetsbb said:

This is looking more and more like the Leonard Williams pick. Everyone was so happy saying the best player in the draft fell to us at 6. Turns out he is just an okay player probably not even worth a first round pick let alone first overall. The question is out on Darnold but the verdict is becoming more clear on Mayfield. I like his honest personality and real leadership skills. Darnold is a shy guy so all he can really do is lead my example. Case wont be settled right now but Baker has a pretty big head start.

Do not agree with you at all. I still believe Darnold in most ways has been more impressive than Mayfield, and the stats do not paint an accurate picture of Darnold at all in any way. I am 100% confident that if we bring in the right head coach that Darnold will have a significantly better career than Mayfield. However and I have said this all along, all 4 of the top QBs will be very successful QBs in the NFL. It will be looked at as one of the best QB draft classes ever. Darnold's 14 interceptions is the most misleading stat ever. And all this negative talk on Darnold is focused on that one completely overrated stat.

13 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Maybe you should. Our team is losing 6-13 to a Miami team that's ranked 22nd in points allowed and 29th in yards per game. 

You're worry about the wrong thing. Like I said, this is a kid that got the W not because he scored 50 points and blew the doors off the team, but because on two key 2 min drives he moved the ball and put points on the board when it mattered most. You can get stats all damn day, but it means nothing if you're not winning the football game. Mayfield did what he needed to do to win the game. 

Winning the game against that level of defense and a division rival is a big deal to them, which is the only thing that matters. The thing thats pretty simple is understanding that the objective is to get the W. 

I too was impressed when the threw a 5 yard slant that he caught and took 40 yards to get them into FG range.  His 3 runs that followed the play to solidify FG range were quite impressive too. lol

15 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

You want to hear something funny? 

Scoring drives are credited to the quarterback. Especially game winning scoring drives. 

Take the good with the bad JIF. When folks were talking about all of Mayfield's turnovers in that Raiders game, no one wanted to hear about the pick 6 being a dropped pass by Callaway and a fumble being a botched snap by the Center. Why? Because ultimately those stats are credited to the QB. 

Folks had their cake when it was about all those turnovers, eat the cake now that it's about completing a scoring drive to beat the best defense in the league.  

Folks who hate on this dude cannot have it both ways. 

Actually, I think every single person in this thread has recognized he's been playing well.  We're all just confused why you're beating this games drum when Baker had very little do with the victory. 

Archived