With Mayfiled lighting up the league for the past month and fun personality are you starting to wish Darnold didn't fall to us?

Jetsbb

Do you wish we had Mayfield lighting it up on the field and in the newspapers?  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Do you wish we had Mayfield lighting it up on the field and in the newspapers?

• Wish Mayfiled was my QB
    • No Happy with Darnold having a typical rookie year

This is looking more and more like the Leonard Williams pick. Everyone was so happy saying the best player in the draft fell to us at 6. Turns out he is just an okay player probably not even worth a first round pick let alone first overall. The question is out on Darnold but the verdict is becoming more clear on Mayfield. I like his honest personality and real leadership skills. Darnold is a shy guy so all he can really do is lead my example. Case wont be settled right now but Baker has a pretty big head start.

Baker Mayfield: 62.7% 2,242yds 7.21avg 17TD 7INT 93.2 rating

Sam Darnold:    55%   1,934yds   6.69avg  11TD  14INT  68.3 rating

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

This is looking more and more like the Leonard Williams pick. Everyone was so happy saying the best player in the draft fell to us at 6. Turns out he is just an okay player probably not even worth a first round pick let alone first overall. The question is out on Darnold but the verdict is becoming more clear on Mayfield. I like his honest personality and real leadership skills. Darnold is a shy guy so all he can really do is lead my example. Case want be settled right now but Baker as a pretty big head start.

People thought Wentz was the far superior pick to Goff about a year ago.  How is that working out?

Mayfield is the # 20 QB in the NFL based on DVOA.  Dalton is # 19 and Derek Carr is # 21.  Let's chillax on this "Mayfield is a sure thing" deal for a bit, yeah?

I wanted Darnold or Mayfield so have nothing against the guy. With that said, I would have told you that Mayfield would outperform Darnold right out of the gate. Baker is older, played more college football and I felt that the overall Browns team had more talent than the Jets due to strong drafts the last few years. 

With that said, I want the long-term answer at QB, not the guy that is great one year until defenses figure him out. I think Darnold still has a higher ceiling and all the tools necessary to become a great QB, it will just take him some time to get there. 

31 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Mayfield will be a bust. He's been feasting on weak defenses and is already talking. When things start getting rough, I wouldn't have confidence in him.

Ravens are the #1 defense in the league. Browns beat them with Baker at the helm. 

Today the excuse is "Mayfield will be a bust because he's feasting on weak defense" 

Two months ago it was "Mayfield beat the Jets because we weren't prepared for him. Wait until the league gets tape on him then he'll be exposed". 

2 months and 9 games worth of tape later, now the story is "he's going to be a bust because he's feasting on weak defenses???" Well, that's his job. What was the excuse when he beat the Ravens? Not enough tape? Or was the #1 defense in the league not rough enough? 

Folks really cant give this short QB credit. Im not saying love the kid, but my goodness. Wishing for his downfall, even after he's shown you that he has skill is just a shame. Baker is ranked as the 14th best QB in the league. Dude is a rookie and is already playing like he's the in the top half of QB's in the league. 

21 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

This is looking more and more like the Leonard Williams pick. Everyone was so happy saying the best player in the draft fell to us at 6. Turns out he is just an okay player probably not even worth a first round pick let alone first overall. The question is out on Darnold but the verdict is becoming more clear on Mayfield. I like his honest personality and real leadership skills. Darnold is a shy guy so all he can really do is lead my example. Case wont be settled right now but Baker has a pretty big head start.

Im happy that Mayfield is not our QB. I actually like Mayfield and the Jets would have found a way to destroy his career. 

I liked Mayfield. Probably my first choice. But I gotta say, through camp and into the season, I really think we got a special QB. A lot is going to hinge on who this regime brings in to develop him. This offseasons is huge. And we should have the answer to the biggest question real soon after it's done. 

Baker Mayfield is a classless A hole. Why comment on Hue Jackson at all? It's such a dooshy thing to say about a coach that no longer has anything to do with the team you play for. I can't wait to see when Baker goes through some tough times, he walks around & speaks his mind like everything in his NFL career is going to go straight up. 

Sam Darnold will get another 16 games next year & wont be Mayfields age until he starts the 2020 season. Mayfield is throwing to Jarvis Landry & Sam is throwing to Robbie Anderson. The Browns defense is 2nd in the league & the Jets are in the twenties & might break another record by going 6 games without a turnover. Sam played the Vikings & Bears defenses with no starting WRs & a rookie TE. Baker just threw 4 TDs against the 32nd ranked defense in the NFL.  It's apples & oranges at this point. 

Lets see how Baker fairs Sunday in Houston vs the Texans or 2 weeks later vs the Broncos D. He's hot the type of personality that makes defenders froth at the mouth if they get a chance to knock that little smirk off his face.

Mayfield strikes me as a guy who won't handle adversity well.  It's cool to talk a bunch of sh*t when you're winning.  Just use the 2009-10 Jets as a reference point.  But when you fail?  You fall hard when that's your personality. 

If it was just tongue in cheek stuff coming from Mayfield that would be one thing, but I don't think it is.  I sincerely doubt he's very self-aware.  That's a Ryan Leaf-esque characteristic. 

Not saying he'll definitely fail or that he'll definitely be unable to handle adversity, but I am saying that's a risk the Browns took by taking him # 1. 

22 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Ravens are the #1 defense in the league. Browns beat them with Baker at the helm. 

Today the excuse is "Mayfield will be a bust because he's feasting on weak defense" 

Two months ago it was "Mayfield beat the Jets because we weren't prepared for him. Wait until the league gets tape on him then he'll be exposed". 

2 months and 9 games worth of tape later, now the story is "he's going to be a bust because he's feasting on weak defenses???" Well, that's his job. What was the excuse when he beat the Ravens? Not enough tape? Or was the #1 defense in the league not rough enough? 

Folks really cant give this short QB credit. Im not saying love the kid, but my goodness. Wishing for his downfall, even after he's showing you that he has skill is just a shame. Baker is ranked as the 14th best QB in the league. Dude is a rookie and is already playing like he's the in the top half of QB's in the league. 

Dude, you really can spread it. He put up 9 points in regulation against the Ravens.  Did he really "beat the #1 defense?"  Nothing against his game, but that seems a funny one to hang your hat on. 

12 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

This is Jetsbb 》default_stirsthepot3.gif

Yeah except it's blatantly obvious what he's trying to do, which makes it incredibly lame.

True pros at this sort of stuff leave people wondering if that really is their take, or they are just stirring the pot.  I applaud people that are good at it.  This guy is as subtle as a sledgehammer.

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

Dude, you really can spread it. He put up 9 points in regulation against the Ravens.  Did he really "beat the #1 defense?"  Nothing against his game, but that seems a funny one to hang your hat on.  

And are the Ravens even the # 1 defense right now?  Pretty sure the Bears, Bills, Broncos, Texans,  Vikings and Browns have all been as good or better. 

9 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Actually he did, literally. The Ravens were leading 3-0 with less than 2 mins left before halftime. Baker runs their 2 min offense 80 yards for a TD to take the lead heading into halftime. At the end of regulation the score is 9 all and they head into overtime. 

Baker gets the ball with 2 minutes left in Overtime and he marches the offense down the field into scoring position and wins the game. 

That's how it happened. I didn't expect it to be 50-0 Cleveland. This Ravens defense is the #1 defense in America you know. 

19 minutes ago, freestater said:

I liked Mayfield. Probably my first choice. But I gotta say, through camp and into the season, I really think we got a special QB. A lot is going to hinge on who this regime brings in to develop him. This offseasons is huge. And we should have the answer to the biggest question real soon after it's done. 

Totally agree with this. It's all about coaching in the NFL. I was afraid of this going into the draft tbh, I knew this CS would not be able to develop a rookie QB, just hope he can recover and get straightened out if and when the right guys are brought in to coach him up. Mayfield would suck a$$ under this CS, and with the lack of talent at the offensive skill positions as well as Sam has. It is WAAAAAAY to early to say Sam is no good, or average, or to say anything really except he has played for arguably the worst HC since Richie Kotite, the worst OC since Paul Hackett, and has played with zero talent around him behind a sub par OL.

To quote one of the GOATS: "Just relax", Sam will be ok.

3 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Actually he did, literally. The Ravens were leading 3-0 with less than 2 mins left before halftime. Baker runs their 2 min offense 80 yards for a TD to take the lead heading into halftime. At the end of regulation the score is 9 all and they head into overtime. 

Baker gets the ball with 2 minutes left in Overtime and he marches the offense down the field into scoring position and wins the game. 

That's how it happened. I didn't expect it to be 50-0 Cleveland. This Ravens defense is the #1 defense in America you know.  

Celebrating a 12-9 win reminds me of the Sanchez days. 

16 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Mayfield strikes me as a guy who won't handle adversity well.  It's cool to talk a bunch of sh*t when you're winning.  Just use the 2009-10 Jets as a reference point.  But when you fail?  You fall hard when that's your personality. 

If it was just tongue in cheek stuff coming from Mayfield that would be one thing, but I don't think it is.  I sincerely doubt he's very self-aware.  That's a Ryan Leaf-esque characteristic. 

Not saying he'll definitely fail or that he'll definitely be unable to handle adversity, but I am saying that's a risk the Browns took by taking him # 1. 

Well, he handled adversity earlier this year and it resulted in his entire coaching staff being fired, rightfully so.  He also handled adversity at Texas Tech and it resulted in mommy and daddy buying a handful of lawyers to challenge the NCAA so he could play at Oklahoma.  He faced some adversity vs. Georgia in the 2nd half and he sh*t the bed.  There is probably some truth to him not handling adversity well but he hasnt seen any the last few weeks.  @ Texans, vs. Carolina, @Denver some real tests on the horizon.

All that said, he's playing much better than I expected.  Cant take that away from him.  Still hope he fails miserably because I hate his guts.  One of the most unlikable characters I've ever witnessed.

35 minutes ago, JiF said:

Fun personality??? WTF????

That ugly smug pompous prick has a quote of him saying, "I woke up this morning feeling dangerous".

GTFO here with fun personality.  He's a douchebag in every sense of the word.

You guys think everything is douchey, because none of you have any personality. 

Thats another reason why Darnold is perfect for this fanbase, because he has the personality of a wooden plank

Look... I loved Mayfield. I watched so much college football last year and it was obvious he was the best QB in the draft. I thought Darnold was an average prospect and an average player. I booed at MetLife stadium when Goodell said Sam Darnold. I love Mayfield’s arrogance and his marketability. I think Sam is boring. 

But even I think this is one of the dumbest threads I’ve ever seen.

Archived