With Mayfiled lighting up the league for the past month and fun personality are you starting to wish Darnold didn't fall to us?

Jetsbb

Do you wish we had Mayfield lighting it up on the field and in the newspapers?  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Do you wish we had Mayfield lighting it up on the field and in the newspapers?

• Wish Mayfiled was my QB
    • No Happy with Darnold having a typical rookie year

Just now, BroadwayRay said:

This is one of the most buttfumble-worthy posts I've seen in a long time. It's the stereotypical fan view -- a completely short-sighted, knee-jerk, what-have-done-for-me-lately reaction to what has happened the past three games.

Just two points, because that's all the OP is worth:

It's way too early to make any conclusions.

Baker is 23, Darnold is 21. Baker had four college seasons under his belt, Darnold had two. What does that mean? It means Darnold is greener and still has a lot to learn.

Precisely what bothers me.  Why invest in a kid who is that green?  We pulled the same b/s with Sanchez who had relatively few college starts.  And guess what?  He was an INT machine too.  

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Precisely what bothers me.  Why invest in a kid who is that green?  We pulled the same b/s with Sanchez who had relatively few college starts.  And guess what?  He was an INT machine too.  

Because, unlike Sanchez, Darnold displayed incredible skills despite his green-ness, that's why. 

7 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Im not arguing with you. Remember, you wrote me....I didn't write you. You literally quoted Jeremy2020 but literally left out the part that caused me to even mention the Ravens to begin with. 

You called Mayfield a douche....but I never quoted you on your opinion. Given the back and forth that I've been having in this thread I never even seen the post until you just mentioned it. However, it was you who quoted me, but furthermore, the thread that you quoted was my response to Jeremy2020. 

So why are you all of a sudden acting like you dont know what the topic was, or as if I quoted you because you called him a douche? 

C'mon man. You got to treat your boy Villain better than that. I can clearly follow the thread and see how this convo transpired. 

If there were points given for relentlessness you would score big.  Logic, not so much. You chose the Ravens game to champion to Mayfield.  They scored 9 in regulation.  You may be impressed.  I am not.  I do not see your response as being a particularly helpful response to him "feasting on weak defenses."  

8 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Exactly. 

Rex and Tanny traded up for a USC QB who had less than 20 starts under his belt, but atleast Sanchez was a Junior. The Jets today traded up for a guy from USC who's 21, left college two years early, not just 1 year, and before this season only played 3 years of organized football as a QB given that his first time playing QB in high school was his senior season. 

Now, im not saying that Darnold cant work, what im saying is that you dont have all of this info readily available to review and you trade a 26 year old Teddy Bridgewater and throw this 21 year old to the wolves with no help, no playmakers, no Oline, no QB coach, no respectable offensive coaching/coordinator and think that paying Josh McCown 10 million dollars makes sh*t better. 

This is how the Jets organization is being ran folks. 

14 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

If there were points given for relentlessness you would score big.  Logic, not so much. You chose the Ravens game to champion to Mayfield.  They scored 9 in regulation.  You may be impressed.  I am not.  I do not see your response as being a particularly helpful response to him "feasting on weak defenses."  

Now you're "moving the goal post" again, but I'll move with you...no problem. 

If there were points given for relentlessness I'd score big. 

Logic?...even more. 

I used the Ravens game because it's one thing to see a guy just run up the score on bottom feeder defenses. It's another to see how a Rookie can react under pressure. Less than 2 minutes to go before half time, you're down against a division rival,  and you got to go 80 yards to take the lead. He does it. 

Could have won in regulation, but your kicker misses, 2 minutes to go in overtime and this is your 2nd overtime in as many weeks, as well as your 2nd start as a rookie going up against the best defense. What are you going to do? He decides that he's going to lead them down the field and put his team in scoring position to get his first win as a starter. 

If that's not a logical angle to you, then I need to make sure that I maintain this level of logic given that you may not be on my level. 

8 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

Because, unlike Sanchez, Darnold displayed incredible skills despite his green-ness, that's why. 

Watching him play this season I don't see it.  He's looked fine mechanically, I guess.  But other than throwing the ball to the other team, far from having "incredible skills".  

9 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Now you're "moving the goal post" again, but I'll move with you...no problem. 

If there were points given for relentlessness I'd score big. 

Logic?...even more. 

I used the Ravens game because it's one thing to see a guy just run up the score on bottom feeder defenses. It's another to see how a Rookie can react under pressure. Less than 2 minutes to go before half time, you're down,  and you got to go 80 yards to take the lead. He does it. 

Could have won in regulation, but your kicker misses, 2 minutes to go in overtime and this is your 2nd overtime in as many weeks, as well as your 2nd start as a rookie going up against the best defense. What are you going to do? He decides that he's going to lead them down the field and put his team in scoring position to get his first win as a starter. 

If that's not a logical angle to you, then I need to make sure that I maintain this level of logic given that you may not be on my level. 

It was a 55 yard try for the win.  Can you tell me what he decided to do the first two drives he had in OT?  

37 minutes ago, JiF said:

It's a deep rooted hatred.  @Lith the kid made me root for the freaking Georgia Bulldogs.  I already hated him before that game because he's a dbag but that hatred drove me to root for my biggest rival and it took my hatred over the top.

All that said, I was a total pusswah and wouldnt commit to an opinion on Baker.  I really had no clue what he'd be.  I ultimately came around to being ok if the Jets took him but only because I wanted front stage to see him fail and if he did succeed, well groovy! 

I hate Baker too. 

Especially after the "Philly special" TD in the 2nd quarter against us in the Rose Bowl and that d-bag went clowning on the sideline as if they had already won the game.  But, we stayed patient got after him and had the last laugh.  Kid looks good in Cleveland, but the game is not over yet. Still hoping that someday Darnold and the Jets will get the last laugh.  Maybe when we beat Cleveland in the 2022 AFCCG, although it never seems to work out that way for us.

I was resigned to the faact that we would end up with him and I would root for the jersey, but not the guy in it.  And I am surprised by his success -- did not expect him to look this good.

So, hated rival thing ands all -- which hated rival are you going to be rooting for on Saturday?  

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

It was a 55 yard try for the win. 

That's why kickers get paid. 

Can you tell me what he decided to do the first two drives he had in OT?  

Nope, but if I had to guess, he was probably deciding on if he should give his kicker another opportunity given that he missed the first 55 yarder when Baker drove the offense down the field to put them in position to win during regulation. lol. 

19 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Watching him play this season I don't see it.  He's looked fine mechanically, I guess.  But other than throwing the ball to the other team, far from having "incredible skills".  

Because his awareness of how much space he has to throw in and what angle he needs to throw at in order to get it in tight windows is natural and jaw dropping at times. He has superb anticipation and puts it on the WR before he even gets to the top of his route. He knows if the man will be open before the play develops and he’s only 21 with 4 years of playing QB. Because his pocket awareness and ability to extends plays is jaw dropping at times. Because his ability to process information and digest the play book was nothing this poor franchise has seen before and it’s why he started game 1. Because he’s ability to throw on the run and be deadly accurate is great. Because all of these things together create the “IT” factor. 

Look at it little deeper and try again. 

Yeah, he’s been down right bad at times but if you actually see what’s going on the average play that’s being run....it’s special.

3 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

This is looking more and more like the Leonard Williams pick. Everyone was so happy saying the best player in the draft fell to us at 6. Turns out he is just an okay player probably not even worth a first round pick let alone first overall. The question is out on Darnold but the verdict is becoming more clear on Mayfield. I like his honest personality and real leadership skills. Darnold is a shy guy so all he can really do is lead my example. Case wont be settled right now but Baker has a pretty big head start.

Baker Mayfield: 62.7% 2,242yds 7.21avg 17TD 7INT 93.2 rating

Sam Darnold:    55%   1,934yds   6.69avg  11TD  14INT  68.3 rating

Darnold one of the youngest rookies ever to play in nfl. Mayfield is one of the oldest. You don’t judge a rookie until yr 3

42 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

It wasn't a response that would be particularly helpful for "feasting on week defenses" but it would be for the highlighted below. 

No need to cherry pick what my response was. It doesnt help your argument at all. Go back and read what my original response was. You've been moving the goal post so damn much you forgot what my original response was that you quoted. 

3 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

Mayfield will be a bust. He's been feasting on weak defenses and is already talking. When things start getting rough, I wouldn't have confidence in him.

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

third freakin time sharing this. How do you not see special? I’m totally cool with who we got. Wtf is wrong with Jet fans. Give him time.

Even I came around to thinking that Sam Darnold is pretty special, and I didn't like what I seen in college. But there are some throws that he's made as a pro and it's clear as day. One of the filthiest throws I seen Darnold make was a TD pass in the Bears game to the rookie TE Chris Herndon. Scary! The ball jumps out his hand. 

8 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Even I came around to thinking that Sam Darnold is pretty special, and I didn't like what I seen in college. But there are some throws that he's made as a pro and it's clear as day. One of the filthiest throws I seen Darnold make was a TD pass in the Bears game to the rookie TE Chris Herndon. Scary! The ball jumps out his hand. 

Exactly! There’s a ton of mixed results here but the good parts are undeniable and he makes something happen out of nothing very often. Not every QB can turn nothing into something during a play. 

I just keep going back to the fact that this is what we’re seeing out of a QB who is the youngest starter ever and has 4 years playing the position. 

If they can just get him some kind of weapons, we’re going to have a good QB. His gained experience and an offensive coach will do the rest.

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Arguing for Mayfield over Sam at this point is silly, but imagine Baker’s response to being held out for a month with a fake foot injury so Josh McCown could give him a breather. Francesa would stroke out covering Baker’s comments.

I feel like every QB went to the most ideal team.

Baker in Cleveland will give Browns fans a legit hard working unapologetic kid.

Darnold in NY will give us someone who will work hard, not let the city life interfere, won’t cause a big scene and he’ll do work.

Rosen in Arizona will give Rosen a quieter place to reside. He can still be opinionated and the world won’t know unless it’s something crazy.

Lamar in BAL is good because he needed polish and he needed to sit. He got that opportunity behind Flacco for the majority of the year.

Allen to the Bills...well idk about that one I really don’t have anything.

Well the rumors were the Patriots were interested in Mayfield no such rumors about any interest by them in Sam. But when you look long term not a few games rookie season, imo I take Darnold. Sams' at t a low for the season even before the injury and Baker is at a high. If Baker ends up being Marino to Sam's O'Brien ok,  we end up with a good starting NFL Qb. I don't think either guy is a Marino (and neither org has a Shula) but Sam should end up a good player. 

3 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

Mayfield will be a bust. He's been feasting on weak defenses and is already talking. When things start getting rough, I wouldn't have confidence in him.

Possible...  but look at Goff, Manning etc.

JETS are a dumpster fire with NO weapons, no Oline and we want to judge a 21 year old?

Ill wait a year or two.  

Jury out on Sam and Baker.

13 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I feel like every QB went to the most ideal team.

Baker in Cleveland will give Browns fans a legit hard working unapologetic kid.

Darnold in NY will give us someone who will work hard, not let the city life interfere, won’t cause a big scene and he’ll do work.

Rosen in Arizona will give Rosen a quieter place to reside. He can still be opinionated and the world won’t know unless it’s something crazy.

Lamar in BAL is good because he needed polish and he needed to sit. He got that opportunity behind Flacco for the majority of the year.

Allen to the Bills...well idk about that one I really don’t have anything.

Saquon has been pretty good, but Rosen would have been a perfect Giant. The thing that makes Darnold so good for the Jets is that he appears to be emotionally dead inside, which will help him in dealing with this atrocious franchise. Agreed on Baker in Cleveland with Dorsey, especially. 

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

I dont even know why you're talking Sam Darnold, but I'll entertain this. 

You said that both Mayfield and Darnold "struggled" against the top 3 defenses. 

Can you pull up both guys stats so we can compare?

Also, can you pull up Darnold's stats against defenses that are at the bottom? The last I checked, Miami is near the bottom and Darnold completed 53% of his passes and threw 4 picks. 

But let me guess. This is why you made sure to say "Darnold has less talent around him". 

If you really believe that, then #1. dont even make the comparison.....especially when Darnold is having that type of performance against lower-tier defenses like Miami. 

You don't think Cleveland has way more skill position talent than the Jets? Do you even watch football? And lets add in that the Browns have the 7th rated offensive line in the NFL by PFF right now compared to the Jets who are bottom 5. You can't ignore those factors. My point is that Baker has played a week schedule this year and you're going around trying to tell everybody he hasn't bc he beat the Ravens. Umm no he didn't, the Cleveland defense beat the Ravens.

I dont think anyone is saying darnold cant improve and become a good player.  But currently, compared to the 2 guys picked before him, he stinks.  And the two teams above us made the right choice.

And the "Darnold has only been a qb for 4 years" is starting to reach Leonard Williams gets "double teamed" legendary excuse status around here.

1 minute ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I dont think anyone is saying darnold cant improve and become a good player.  But currently, compared to the 2 guys picked before him, he stinks.  And the two teams above us made the right choice.

And the "Darnold has only been a qb for 4 years" is starting to reach Leonard Williams gets "double teamed" legendary excuse status around here.

That’s precisely the problem though. There should be no comparison at all right now lol 

13 minutes ago, choon328 said:

You don't think Cleveland has way more skill position talent than the Jets? Do you even watch football? And lets add in that the Browns have the 7th rated offensive line in the NFL by PFF right now compared to the Jets who are bottom 5. You can't ignore those factors. My point is that Baker has played a week schedule this year and you're going around trying to tell everybody he hasn't bc he beat the Ravens. Umm no he didn't, the Cleveland defense beat the Ravens.

No WR on the Browns roster cost the Browns more than a fourth round pick. Njoku was drafted at the end of the first and Chubb was a second rounder. 

I must admit I haven't watched too many Browns games this season, but nothing I've read suggests that Mayfield has had to deal with a centre with a broken finger that results in bad snaps far too often, an offensive line that forgets how to pass block at the most inopportune times, a bottom tier group of skill players or (since Todd Haley was fired) an offensive coordinator who seems to think that running on first and second downs straight ahead and making it 3rd and long is an NFL calibre offence.

I'm still more than comfortable that Darnold is our man and I hope that whomever runs this football team in the off-season (hopefully not Maccagnan) gets weapons and an offensive line for him.

52 minutes ago, choon328 said:

I think @T0mShane response was perfect. 

Please, provide that info that I asked for if  you really need to make a Darnold comparison. I've not once compared the two during this discussion or any discussion as of late. 

The bottomline is that it's folks like yourself that create these comparisons that no one can ever win given that you'll  say that Mayfield is playing weak teams which discredits his performance while at the same time saying that Darnold has no help in comparison to Mayfield which immediately justifies any bad stats that he produces. 

I've seen this game before and it's a pretty old and lame manipulative tactic. I'd rather dismiss myself since I have no problem with Darnold as the Jets QB, but rather the owners that decided to keep this  incompetent coaching staff and GM 

Archived