With Mayfiled lighting up the league for the past month and fun personality are you starting to wish Darnold didn't fall to us?

Jetsbb

Do you wish we had Mayfield lighting it up on the field and in the newspapers?  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Do you wish we had Mayfield lighting it up on the field and in the newspapers?

• Wish Mayfiled was my QB
    • No Happy with Darnold having a typical rookie year

15 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

It's not a celebration. It's an acknowledgement to those who've made it a thing to discredit his performance against lower ranked teams in order to make it seem like he cant hold his own against tougher opponents. 

Sure, the boxscore won't tell the entire story. But what Mayfield has been showing in multiple games (including the Ravens game) is a tendency to move the offense at critical moments and put them into scoring position. The Browns won that Ravens game because of 2 separate 2 min drives. One before halftime, and one in overtime. He's shown the ability to do that in a few games. That's a tendency that you want in your QB because it shows an ability to close. 

He was 2-5 prior to playing Atlanta and Cincinnati with 10 TD & 7 Int.  Cincinnati has the worst defense in the NFL and Atlanta is not very far from them.  These are the teams he's played so far:

Baker Mayfield                                                                                                         Sam Darnold

Team             Points/Allowed             Yards/Allowed                                          Team                     Points/Allowed                   Yards/Allowed

NYJ                      19                                   21                                                       DET                            24                                          14

Oak                     30                                   26                                                       MIA                            23                                          29

Bal                        1                                     1                                                        CLE                            22                                          31

LAC                      4                                     9                                                       JAX                              8                                            5

TAM                   31                                   27                                                       DEN                            13                                          25

PIT                     12                                    6                                                        IND                             18                                          17

KC                      28                                   30                                                      MIN                            10                                            3

CIN                    32                                   32                                                       CHI                              2                                            4

ATL                    29                                  28                                                       MIA                             23                                           29

Averages:          20.6                               20                                                                                         15.8                                        17.4

Darnold has less talent around him and has played better defenses overall than Mayfield. They have both struggled against the top 3 defenses that they've played on the season.  Mayfield is 1-2 against his top 3 defenses and Darnold was 0-3 against his top 3 defenses.  Mayfield put up 44 pts and Darnold put up 39 pts in those 3 games. 

Let's stop acting like Mayfield is beating tough defenses b/c he's not.  He has 11 tds & 1 int against CIN/ATL/KC/TAM.  4 of the worst defenses in the NFL.  Beyond those teams he has 6 tds and 6 int and that includes a game against OAK in which he threw for 52.5 Comp and had 2 picks.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Darnold didt "fall" to us.  2 better players went before him.

I know say he "fell" makes alot of jet fans feel like they got some special gift or something, but the fact is the browns and giants did they due dilligence on darnold and didnt want him.

And with the season coming to end end, so far those teams are correct.

Barkley is a hall of fame type runner and mayfield is the next drew brees.

Darnold looks like a total turd right now.

8 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Funny that you are crying semantics. 

Actually. I'll re-answer this. 

#1 Im not crying semantics, im asking "why the semantics"? The reason why I ask is for reasons such as what you just did. Example: 

The Browns D didn't score?  Okay, but Denzel Ward did pick Flacco off at the goal line to save one score.  The also recovered a Buck Allen fumble in Ravens territory that led to a field goal.  Plus, when Mayfield was picked off at his own 30 they only gave up 7 yards and 3 points.  To be fair, the Browns also missed and extra point and a 55 yard FG near the end of regulation.  He won the game.  Nobody is taking that away, but he didn't exactly light up the Ravens. 

All of this above is true, and you even forgot to mention the Justin Tucker blocked field goal by that same Denzel Ward. Now here's why I asked the "semantics" question, and I'll give it to you in a form of a question and then I'll go on to answer the question. 

With everything that you mentioned above that is true, would the browns have won the game if we take away those two 2min drives by Mayfield? The answer is "no". 

This is why I asked the question. @Jetsfan80 was giving the credit to the defense for the win. Im saying that the defense did their part defensively, but they didn't score the points required to given them the W. This does not at all take away from what the defense did. Not at all. Im saying that there's no need for the semantics, there's no need to criticize 12 points when it took 12 points coming from the offense on key drives to win this game. 

Baker won the game, but yes, folks are trying to take that away. They do so when they talk about how he's only successful because he's playing poor defenses yet never once mention the Ravens win. So of course folks are taking it away when they're omitting it. Why do you think I even brought it up? 

The Browns defense did what the defense had to do, and the Offense did what they had to do to get the win. He didn't light up the Ravens, but he got the W. Baker Mayfield and that Browns offense "lit up" the Raiders...put up 42 points on them, THE HIGHEST EVER for a rookie debut. But they lost the game, so what the hell does it mean? It doesnt matter. 

13 minutes ago, JiF said:

I too was impressed when the threw a 5 yard slant that he caught and took 40 yards to get them into FG range.  His 3 runs that followed the play to solidify FG range were quite impressive too. lol

You mean this play, that clearly isnt a slant play, on a 3rd and 8 while avoiding pressure to keep the drive alive and throwing an accurate pass across his body to a covered receiver in stride? 

Quite impressive indeed. 

1 minute ago, Villain The Foe said:

Actually. I'll re-answer this. 

#1 Im not crying semantics, im asking "why the semantics"? The reason why I ask is for reasons such as what you just did. Example: 

All of this above is true, and you even forgot to mention the Justin Tucker blocked field goal by that same Denzel Ward. Now here's why I asked the "semantics" question, and I'll give it to you in a form of a question and then I'll go on to answer the question. 

With everything that you mentioned above that is true, would the browns have won the game if we take away those two 2min drives by Mayfield? The answer is "no". 

This is why I asked the question. @Jetsfan80 was giving the credit to the defense for the win. Im saying that the defense did their part defensively, but they didn't score the points required to given them the W. This does not at all take away from what the defense did. Not at all. Im saying that there's no need for the semantics, there's no need to criticize 12 points when it took 12 points coming from the offense on key drives to win this game. 

Baker won the game, but yes, folks are trying to take that away. They do so when they talk about how he's only successful because he's playing poor defenses yet never once mention the Ravens win. So of course folks are taking it away when they're omitting it. Why do you think I even brought it up? 

The Browns defense did what the defense had to do, and the Offense did what they had to do to get the win. He didn't light up the Ravens, but he got the W. Baker Mayfield and that Browns offense "lit up" the Raiders...put up 42 points on them, THE HIGHEST EVER for a rookie debut. But they lost the game, so what the hell does it mean? It doesnt matter. 

The answer is very simple.  

People are saying that Mayfield is feasting on these weak defenses.  He beat the Ravens.  No disputing that.  OTOH, re-read the thread title and the poll.  Are you claiming that Mayfield was "lighting it up on the field" against the Ravens?  

Anyone praying for Mayfield’s downfall is simply insecure and worried about Sam Darnold not being as good as him.

with that said, Sam has the potential to be just as good, if not, better.

with that also said...you all are reactionary children who cannot grasp the concept of a “ROOKIE SEASON” or circumstances that create what we have seen this year.

this is place is actually the worst it’s ever been. Be better. Jesus.

10 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Darnold didt "fall" to us.  2 better players went before him.

Darnold was pegged by most experts and pundits as the best QB in the draft, therefore having another QB picked in front of him means that he did, in fact, fall to the Jets.  Just sayin"...

8 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

This is looking more and more like the Leonard Williams pick. Everyone was so happy saying the best player in the draft fell to us at 6. Turns out he is just an okay player probably not even worth a first round pick let alone first overall. The question is out on Darnold but the verdict is becoming more clear on Mayfield. I like his honest personality and real leadership skills. Darnold is a shy guy so all he can really do is lead my example. Case wont be settled right now but Baker has a pretty big head start.

Baker Mayfield: 62.7% 2,242yds 7.21avg 17TD 7INT 93.2 rating

Sam Darnold:    55%   1,934yds   6.69avg  11TD  14INT  68.3 rating

We get arguably the best QB prospect this year, and one of the top ones in the past few years to come out, and the best QB prospect the Jets have had since Joe Namath, and it has only taken a half a season to wish for us to have taken someone else.

THAT is unbelievable, even by Jet fan standards.

4 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

You mean this play, that clearly isnt a slant play, on a 3rd and 8 while avoiding pressure to keep the drive alive and throwing an accurate pass across his body to a covered receiver in stride? 

Quite impressive indeed. 

Avoided pressure?  He took a step backward and threw the ball 5 yards.  

The video you posted is literally titled "Willie's spectacular catch sets up game winning field goal"....not "Baker's amazing play...".  

Hey look, you dont need to defend the kid.  He's balling.  Probably more power in just lol'ing the haters, like me, because I really do hate me some Baker Mayfield.  Like, he's creeping in Tom Brady territory of hatred. 

1 minute ago, JiF said:

Or you just hate his guts out.

Well you are the only exception lol. I remember trying to convince you on Baker all year last year and you weren’t having it.

You legit don’t like him. 

Everyone else has anxiety over who will be better because everyone wants their team to have the best guy out of the class. Reasonable.

10 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Anyone praying for Mayfield’s downfall is simply insecure and worried about Sam Darnold not being as good as him.

with that said, Sam has the potential to be just as good, if not, better.

with that also said...you all are reactionary children who cannot grasp the concept of a “ROOKIE SEASON” or circumstances that create what we have seen this year.

this is place is actually the worst it’s ever been. Be better. Jesus.

This.

When I feel like the sane one around these parts, you should all feel worried.

4 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

We get arguably the best QB prospect this year, and one of the top ones in the past few years to come out, and the best QB prospect the Jets have had since Joe Namath, and it has only taken a half a season to wish for us to have taken someone else.

THAT is unbelievable, event by Jet fan standards.

Jet fans are actually getting worse year by year.

confirmed fact.

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

The answer is very simple.  

People are saying that Mayfield is feasting on these weak defenses. 

No, that's not what they're saying, that's half of what they're saying. This is the entire statement

1 hour ago, jeremy2020 said:

Mayfield will be a bust. He's been feasting on weak defenses and is already talking. When things start getting rough, I wouldn't have confidence in him.

He beat the Ravens.  No disputing that.  OTOH, re-read the thread title and the poll.  Are you claiming that Mayfield was "lighting it up on the field" against the Ravens?  

No need to re-read the poll. If you're "lighting it up" against poor defenses, and winning close games against the best defense, and you're doing so with a team that before you was 1-31 over the last two seasons and lit no one up, then in no way would I consider that "lighting up the Ravens", but I in no way view this as me seeing  a "bust". 

Im not saying he couldnt bust, but from what we've seen so far, there's nothing to support that statement. Now, there is support for the lighting up portion of the thread title, because that's what he's been doing.  The guy came into the league and in his fist 6 quarters of play produced more scoring drives than  Tyrod did in his first 3 games as the Browns QB. 

This reminds me of when folks continuously mention how Mahomes is only having this phenomenal season because of his coach and all of the playmakers around him. Well, what is he supposed to do, not produce? Would he be any good as a Jet? Probably not. Then are you only considered good when you can produce no matter how crummy your team is? That's just ridiculous, but I've been watching Jets fans have that argument for months now. And the latest argument is how Mayfield is terrible because he's going what he's supposed to do! lol. It's become unreal. 

2 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

This is looking more and more like the Leonard Williams pick. Everyone was so happy saying the best player in the draft fell to us at 6. Turns out he is just an okay player probably not even worth a first round pick let alone first overall. The question is out on Darnold but the verdict is becoming more clear on Mayfield. I like his honest personality and real leadership skills. Darnold is a shy guy so all he can really do is lead my example. Case wont be settled right now but Baker has a pretty big head start.

Don’t worry my friend, a plan is in motion. Soon the whole league will be jealous of our fun personalities. 

I like Baker, he was my fav, I thought we'd never get a shot at Darnold.

No ones going to do well in the Bates motel Offence. Josh is no better running the same Offence Sam has.

The whole team has regressed so much during the season, I see no end to this sh*t until Bowles and Macc get fired. 

28 minutes ago, JiF said:

Actually, I think every single person in this thread has recognized he's been playing well.  We're all just confused why you're beating this games drum when Baker had very little do with the victory. 

Come on, credit where it's due, Mayfield is already on the Mike Glennon level of QB legacy.

10 minutes ago, JiF said:

Avoided pressure?  He took a step backward and threw the ball 5 yards.  

The video you posted is literally titled "Willie's spectacular catch sets up game winning field goal"....not "Baker's amazing play...".  

Hey look, you dont need to defend the kid.  He's balling.  Probably more power in just lol'ing the haters, like me, because I really do hate me some Baker Mayfield.  Like, he's creeping in Tom Brady territory of hatred. 

You're clearly acting out now. 

#1. The ball was thrown at the 6 yard line and caught at the 26 yard line. Kinda destroys your "5 yards" slant pass nonsense. 

#2. It's 3rd and 8. Even if Mayfield had no pressure walked up to the line of scrimmage and threw the ball, it would STILL have to go atleast 9 yards given that Willies caught the ball a yard beyond the sticks. Again, kinda destroys your "5 yards" slant pass nonsense. 

#3. The title of the video doesnt change the fact that Baker is credited for the scoring drive and the yards, because he avoided the pressure of a closing pocket and completed the pass on target, in stride. 

You can tell the story however you like, it won't change the credit or the W or the fact that it was against the #1 defense in the league. 

1 minute ago, Villain The Foe said:

No, that's not what they're saying, that's half of what they're saying. This is the entire statement

No need to re-read the poll. If you're "lighting it up" against poor defenses, and winning close games against the best defense, and you're doing so with a team that before you was 1-31 over the last two seasons and lit no one up, then in no way would I consider that "lighting up the Ravens", but I in no way view this as me seeing  a "bust". 

Im not saying he couldnt bust, but from what we've seen so far, there's nothing to support that statement. Now, there is support for the lighting up portion of the thread title, because that's what he's been doing.  The guy came into the league and in his fist 6 quarters of play produced more scoring drives than  Tyrod did in his first 3 games as the Browns QB. 

This reminds me of when folks continuously mention how Mahomes is only having this phenomenal season because of his coach and all of the playmakers around him. Well, what is he supposed to do, not produce? Would he be any good as a Jet? Probably not. Then are you only considered good when you can produce no matter how crummy your team is? That's just ridiculous, but I've been watching Jets fans have that argument for months now. And the latest argument is how Mayfield is terrible because he's going what he's supposed to do! lol. It's become unreal. 

You are arguing with me over what jeremy2020 said?  What the **** do I care what he said? I never said Mayfield would be a bust.  I said I think he is a douche.  I will generally root against him, but I root against most guys that do shirtless underpants ads in front of a Rolls Royce with a tiger on a leash.  If I were Mayfield I would be fine with people hating me and rooting against me.  Part of what i don't like about him is that I think that would bother him.  

33 minutes ago, JiF said:

Actually, I think every single person in this thread has recognized he's been playing well.  We're all just confused why you're beating this games drum when Baker had very little do with the victory. 

Not everyone. Folks who recognize dont say nonsense like 5 yard slants to 20 yard darts while being chased. 

36 minutes ago, choon328 said:

He was 2-5 prior to playing Atlanta and Cincinnati with 10 TD & 7 Int.  Cincinnati has the worst defense in the NFL and Atlanta is not very far from them.  These are the teams he's played so far:

Baker Mayfield                                                                                                         Sam Darnold

Team             Points/Allowed             Yards/Allowed                                          Team                     Points/Allowed                   Yards/Allowed

NYJ                      19                                   21                                                       DET                            24                                          14

Oak                     30                                   26                                                       MIA                            23                                          29

Bal                        1                                     1                                                        CLE                            22                                          31

LAC                      4                                     9                                                       JAX                              8                                            5

TAM                   31                                   27                                                       DEN                            13                                          25

PIT                     12                                    6                                                        IND                             18                                          17

KC                      28                                   30                                                      MIN                            10                                            3

CIN                    32                                   32                                                       CHI                              2                                            4

ATL                    29                                  28                                                       MIA                             23                                           29

Averages:          20.6                               20                                                                                         15.8                                        17.4

Darnold has less talent around him and has played better defenses overall than Mayfield. They have both struggled against the top 3 defenses that they've played on the season.  Mayfield is 1-2 against his top 3 defenses and Darnold was 0-3 against his top 3 defenses.  Mayfield put up 44 pts and Darnold put up 39 pts in those 3 games. 

Let's stop acting like Mayfield is beating tough defenses b/c he's not.  He has 11 tds & 1 int against CIN/ATL/KC/TAM.  4 of the worst defenses in the NFL.  Beyond those teams he has 6 tds and 6 int and that includes a game against OAK in which he threw for 52.5 Comp and had 2 picks.

I dont even know why you're talking Sam Darnold, but I'll entertain this. 

You said that both Mayfield and Darnold "struggled" against the top 3 defenses. 

Can you pull up both guys stats so we can compare?

Also, can you pull up Darnold's stats against defenses that are at the bottom? The last I checked, Miami is near the bottom and Darnold completed 53% of his passes and threw 4 picks. 

But let me guess. This is why you made sure to say "Darnold has less talent around him". 

If you really believe that, then #1. dont even make the comparison.....especially when Darnold is having that type of performance against lower-tier defenses like Miami. 

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Well you are the only exception lol. I remember trying to convince you on Baker all year last year and you weren’t having it.

You legit don’t like him. 

Everyone else has anxiety over who will be better because everyone wants their team to have the best guy out of the class. Reasonable.

It's a deep rooted hatred.  @Lith the kid made me root for the freaking Georgia Bulldogs.  I already hated him before that game because he's a dbag but that hatred drove me to root for my biggest rival and it took my hatred over the top.

All that said, I was a total pusswah and wouldnt commit to an opinion on Baker.  I really had no clue what he'd be.  I ultimately came around to being ok if the Jets took him but only because I wanted front stage to see him fail and if he did succeed, well groovy! 

8 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

You are arguing with me over what jeremy2020 said?  What the **** do I care what he said? I never said Mayfield would be a bust.  I said I think he is a douche.  I will generally root against him, but I root against most guys that do shirtless underpants ads in front of a Rolls Royce with a tiger on a leash.  If I were Mayfield I would be fine with people hating me and rooting against me.  Part of what i don't like about him is that I think that would bother him.  

Im not arguing with you. Remember, you wrote me....I didn't write you. You literally quoted Jeremy2020 but literally left out the part that caused me to even mention the Ravens to begin with. 

You called Mayfield a douche....but I never quoted you on your opinion. Given the back and forth that I've been having in this thread I never even seen the post until you just mentioned it. However, it was you who quoted me, but furthermore, the thread that you quoted was my response to Jeremy2020. 

So why are you all of a sudden acting like you dont know what the topic was, or as if I quoted you because you called him a douche? 

C'mon man. You got to treat your boy Villain better than that. I can clearly follow the thread and see how this convo transpired. 

In 2016 Jared Goff had a QBR of 18.2, which would have been twenty points below the guy who finished last among qualifiers. He was the worst QB in the league because Jeff Fisher his "middle school offense" (Todd Gurley's words) were ruining him.

In 2017 he surged up to 55.7, and was effectively league average, ranked 16. This year he's 4th at 75.8. The Sean McVay effect.

In 2017 Mitchell Trubisky had a QBR of 32.4 which was second to last in the league. Things weren't going well under John Fox. Enter Matt Nagy. His QBR this week is 75.9, third best in the league.

Coaching, believe it or not, is important. So are guys like Robert Woods, Cooper Kupp, Andrew Whitworth, Allen Robinson, Taylor Gabriel and Trey Burton.

Sam Darnold was almost universally thought to be a better prospect than Jared Goff and Mitch Trubisky. Now don't get me wrong, guys bust all the time. Nothing is guaranteed. But people jumping ship on Darnold are doing so WAY prematurley, IMO.

Here's the reality:

Baker is 23 and started 44 games in college. He's supposed to be better right now. If he wasn't better right now the Browns would look ridiculous.

Darnold is the youngest starting QB in the history of the NFL. Only started 24 games in college and didn't start playing QB until his junior year of high school. He was never going to step in and start lighting it up.

The coaching hire we make this off-season will be the most important decision the Jets have made in my lifetime. Will we hit a homerun like the Rams and Bears? Hard to know. But the blueprint is out there. Let's all keep our faith in Sam and hope that the Jets don't screw this up like they always do.

2 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

Baker Mayfield: 62.7% 2,242yds 7.21avg 17TD 7INT 93.2 rating

Sam Darnold:    55%   1,934yds   6.69avg  11TD  14INT  68.3 rating

This is one of the most buttfumble-worthy posts I've seen in a long time. It's the stereotypical fan view -- a completely short-sighted, knee-jerk, what-have-done-for-me-lately reaction to what has happened the past three games. Oh, and by the way, are you a friend of Darnold's? Is that how you know he's shy?

Just two points, because that's all the OP is worth:

It's way too early to make any of these types of conclusions.

Baker is 23, Darnold is 21. Baker had four college seasons under his belt, Darnold had two. What does that mean? It means Darnold is greener and still has a lot to learn.

On another note, dismissing the question of whether or not Mayfield is at all a likable person, does anyone truly believe his on-field performance would be no different if he were currently on the Jets?  If you think it would be exactly the same, that's fine, you would just have no grasp of anything about the game of football... I mean, no big deal.

If you understand that it of course wouldn't be the same, then I imagine you also realize it's probably a tad misinformed to evaluate a rookie player's theoretical entire future career with a team, based off of half of a season with a different team (and even then, only focusing on 1/4 of the season that fits the narrative).

3 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

In 2016 Jared Goff had a QBR of 18.2, which would have been twenty points below the guy who finished last among qualifiers. He was the worst QB in the league because Jeff Fisher his "middle school offense" (Todd Gurley's words) were ruining him.

In 2017 he surged up to 55.7, and was effectively league average, ranked 16. This year he's 4th at 75.8. The Sean McVay effect.

In 2017 Mitchell Trubisky had a QBR of 32.4 which was second to last in the league. Things weren't going well under John Fox. Enter Matt Nagy. His QBR this week is 75.9, third best in the league.

Coaching, believe it or not, is important. So are guys like Robert Woods, Cooper Kupp, Andrew Whitworth, Allen Robinson, Taylor Gabriel and Trey Burton.

Sam Darnold was almost universally thought to be a better prospect than Jared Goff and Mitch Trubisky. Now don't get me wrong, guys bust all the time. Nothing is guaranteed. But people jumping ship on Darnold are doing so WAY prematurley, IMO.

Here's the reality:

Baker is 23 and started 44 games in college. He's supposed to be better right now. If he wasn't better right now the Browns would look ridiculous.

Darnold is the youngest starting QB in the history of the NFL. Only started 24 games in college and didn't start playing QB until his junior year of high school. He was never going to step in and start lighting it up.

The coaching hire we make this off-season will be the most important decision the Jets have made in my lifetime. Will we hit a homerun like the Rams and Bears? Hard to know. But the blueprint is out there. Let's all keep our faith in Sam and hope that the Jets don't screw this up like they always do.

This. Which is why trading Bridgewater was stupid. 

Archived