With Mayfiled lighting up the league for the past month and fun personality are you starting to wish Darnold didn't fall to us?

Jetsbb

Do you wish we had Mayfield lighting it up on the field and in the newspapers?  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Do you wish we had Mayfield lighting it up on the field and in the newspapers?

• Wish Mayfiled was my QB
    • No Happy with Darnold having a typical rookie year

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

No WR on the Browns roster cost the Browns more than a fourth round pick. Njoku was drafted at the end of the first and Chubb was a second rounder. 

The funny part about the bolded is how Chubb became a brown but almost wasnt a brown.

Remember last year when the Browns tried to trade for AJ McCarron but former GM Sashi Brown messed up the paperwork and didnt beat the deadline to make the trade official? That 2nd round pick used to draft Nick Chubb was the pick they were going to trade for McCarron. 

Lol

2 hours ago, Untouchable said:

If I was a defender, I’d be talking sh*t to the kid each and every snap.

It’s been proven time and time again that you can get under his skin.

Yeah, I’m sure nobody’s thought to talk sh*t to a rookie QB before...

47 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

The funny part about the bolded is how Chubb became a brown but almost wasnt a brown.

Remember last year when the Browns tried to trade for AJ McCarron but former GM Sashi Brown messed up the paperwork and didnt beat the deadline to make the trade official? That 2nd round pick used to draft Nick Chubb was the pick they were going to trade for McCarron. 

Lol

I’d still like to know why the Chiefs let Dorsey go after building that roster.

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Arguing for Mayfield over Sam at this point is silly, but imagine Baker’s response to being held out for a month with a fake foot injury so Josh McCown could give him a breather. Francesa would stroke out covering Baker’s comments.

Trying to figure out if this post is pro Baker or not. Sam being a company guy here for a failing HC and GM isn't exactly a great sign imo

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

I feel like every QB went to the most ideal team.

Baker in Cleveland will give Browns fans a legit hard working unapologetic kid.

Darnold in NY will give us someone who will work hard, not let the city life interfere, won’t cause a big scene and he’ll do work.

Rosen in Arizona will give Rosen a quieter place to reside. He can still be opinionated and the world won’t know unless it’s something crazy.

Lamar in BAL is good because he needed polish and he needed to sit. He got that opportunity behind Flacco for the majority of the year.

Allen to the Bills...well idk about that one I really don’t have anything.

Allen to the Bills makes sense too, big kid / big arm in that weather. Not a good player but you could atleast see what they were thinking.

Good post, 

I like Mayfield probably as much as @JiF dislikes him. I enjoy watching him play, and he reminds me a lot of Namath with his demeanor. The only time I rooted against him was that week 3 Thursday night fiasco in Cleveland. But as much as I like him, I want to see Darnold become the better QB because I am a Jets fan and Sam is the guy playing QB for the Jets. That said, i’m not seeing this undeniable talent so many of you are certain about. I’m not saying I see a bust, but it’s so difficult to tell what he is/could be when you combine him being so raw, lack of good coaching and offensive talent around him, along with his own inconsistent play. I wish I was as confident about him as so many of you are.  I’m simply hopeful.

PRO FOOTBALL FOCUS RANKINGS OFFENSE.

Kelvin Beachum 67.7 ranks 38th

James Carpenter 56.3 ranks 55th  

Spencer long 41.7 ranks 36th

Brian Winters 68.7 ranks 19th

Brandon shell 64.4 ranks 50th

Chris Herndon 71.3 ranks 13th

Quincy Enuwa 71.7 ranks 41

Kearse 65.0 ranks 65

Robbie Anderson 56.3 ranks 109

Isaiah crowell 71.3 ranks 26th

Every single starter on the OL with the exception of Winters are ranked outside of the league’s average starter. Yes. That means there are back ups that grade higher than 4 out 5 of our starting OL players. The weapons are also atrocious as you can see our guys are ranked 41, 65 and 109. Crowell is a #26 out of 32 and Chris Herndon the rookie is our best option.

yes, the play calling as probably made some of these WR’s worse. the play calling has also contributed to a lot of negative things.

but ask yourself...

What Qb would do good in this offense?

16 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

This is looking more and more like the Leonard Williams pick. Everyone was so happy saying the best player in the draft fell to us at 6. Turns out he is just an okay player probably not even worth a first round pick let alone first overall. The question is out on Darnold but the verdict is becoming more clear on Mayfield. I like his honest personality and real leadership skills. Darnold is a shy guy so all he can really do is lead my example. Case wont be settled right now but Baker has a pretty big head start.

Baker Mayfield: 62.7% 2,242yds 7.21avg 17TD 7INT 93.2 rating

Sam Darnold:    55%   1,934yds   6.69avg  11TD  14INT  68.3 rating

mayfield is benefitting from a coaching change and it's not like the browns don't have good skill positions as well as an oline.  that's what happens when a team has 10 seasons of suckiness.  as for the darnold/mayfield argument, the knock on darnold is that he didn't have a ton of college experience. mayfield did.  and just maybe mayfield is better able to ad lib and allowed to make plays.

as you say we'll see going on down the line.  imo the jets got a fine qb and they need to take advantage of that.

13 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Saquon has been pretty good, but Rosen would have been a perfect Giant. The thing that makes Darnold so good for the Jets is that he appears to be emotionally dead inside, which will help him in dealing with this atrocious franchise. Agreed on Baker in Cleveland with Dorsey, especially. 

Some of your finest work right here - LMAO!

17 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Watching him play this season I don't see it.  He's looked fine mechanically, I guess.  But other than throwing the ball to the other team, far from having "incredible skills".  

I just don't get how someone can watch Darnold and have this opinion I really don't. Seems to me that what has happened is that Darnold's worst day is also his last day as QB and it is just lingering like a stale fart in a phone booth. That last game was terrible. He got frazzled and things went to hell. It happens. Roethlisberger has days like that even to this day. And there were extenuating circumstances. In those last two games, Darnold was playing with a banged up WR corps that was sub 4th preseason game, a center who literally could not snap the ball, and an staff that decided to go uber conservative to "protect" Darnold when in reality all it does is make it easier for defenses to play him and make plays. He has demonstrated all year, terrific game awareness, extremely good movement in the pocket, great anticipation, ability to work through reads, and understanding already on how to control the safety, and extreme accuracy. Up until that last performance, many of his interceptions were on the receivers as much as anything. I really could not be more impressed with Darnold, He has skills you cannot not teach. Unfortunately, he has Bowles to deal with and a offensive skill deficit that puts him in maybe the most QB hostile situation in the NFL.

Nobody knows what you have in a quarterback until he goes through adversity.   Mayfield really hasnt experienced it yet in the NFL.  Since he seems to be a little on the volatile side,  it is all the more important to see it before making a judgement on him.  That said, he looks good.

Darnold?  I don't know... poor protection combined with dreadful coaching.

5 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

50 years seems like a long time.  We got patience in spades.

We just drafted arguably the best QB prospect since Luck and there are people who are already giving up on him after 9 starts while being surrounded by the most dogsh*t offense in pro football...

11 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

We just drafted arguably the best QB prospect since Luck and there are people who are already giving up on him after 9 starts while being surrounded by the most dogsh*t offense in pro football...

There are always idiots in large groups of people.

1 hour ago, RoadFan said:

Nobody knows what you have in a quarterback until he goes through adversity.   Mayfield really hasnt experienced it yet in the NFL.  Since he seems to be a little on the volatile side,  it is all the more important to see it before making a judgement on him.  That said, he looks good.

Darnold?  I don't know... poor protection combined with dreadful coaching.

I think he's experiencing adversity in a pretty unorthodox way while handling himself quite well.  I'll explain. 

#1. He gets drafted by the Browns. That's immediate adversity. 

#2. This is an organization viewed as where players go to die, QB's never make it out of, and before the 2018 draft, the Browns had a total of 11 draft picks going back 5 years. Most of those have busted or are not on the Browns. 

#3. Mayfield is now part of the most unstable franchise in the NFL simply based on the amount of GM/HC changes over the past decade as well as the numerous QB changes since the Browns arrived again back in Cleveland.

#4. He's the #1 pick in the draft and is immediately told that he's not going to even compete for the starting job, but is told  instead..."congrats, you beat out Drew Stanton as the back up". Personally, I have no problem with a QB, even the #1 pick not starting immediately, but he was literally shut down and couldnt even compete. He never took snaps with the 1's until after he officially took the job after the Jets game. However, he played his position and said the right things necessary to back up Tyrod even though he was being told the he was not getting a shot to compete.

#5. Months of in-fighting between the HC and coordinators spills over from the preseason and hard knocks to the actual season. 

#5. 6 weeks into the season Bakers Head coach is fired. Everyone thought that Todd Haley would get the Job. Two hours later it's confirmed that Todd Haley is also fired. In replace of these men is Gregg Williams, the poster child of bountygate, and Freddie Kitchens, former RB coach who's never been a coordinator and has never actually called a game before. It's the middle of the season and Baker has only 5 games under his belt as the starter and the coaching staff has been blown up. He publicly says that he's never been through a situation like that before where the coaching staff is relieved mid-season and that was his "welcome to the business" moment. 

It hasnt been daisy's and rose pedals out there in Cleveland. Us Jets fans tend to believe at times that it's only our franchise and QB that's experiencing absolute dysfunction. 

With that said, the type of adversity he's experienced I think he's handled pretty well. 

3 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

#5. 6 weeks into the season Bakers Head coach is fired. Everyone thought that Todd Haley would get the Job. Two hours later it's confirmed that Todd Haley is also fired. In replace of these men is Gregg Williams, the poster child of bountygate, and Freddie Kitchens, former RB coach who's never been a coordinator and has never actually called a game before. It's the middle of the season and Baker has only 5 games under his belt as the starter and the coaching staff has been blown up. He publicly says that he's never been through a situation like that before where the coaching staff is relieved mid-season and that was his "welcome to the business" moment. 

But to be fair #6 are all things that you have said are good for Baker. Firing Hue/Haley. You have said Greg and Kitchens are doing a great job, etc

and now they are bad things?

On 11/28/2018 at 1:06 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

People thought Wentz was the far superior pick to Goff about a year ago.  How is that working out?

Mayfield is the # 20 QB in the NFL based on DVOA.  Dalton is # 19 and Derek Carr is # 21.  Let's chillax on this "Mayfield is a sure thing" deal for a bit, yeah?

True, except none of the QBs you listed are rookies...of course, besides Mayfield. 

6 hours ago, j4jets said:

True, except none of the QBs you listed are rookies...of course, besides Mayfield. 

And?  My point was that you can't claim Mayfield is a "sure thing" yet.  The thread title itself says he's "lighting up the league".  This is false.  He's having a very good rookie season.  Nothing more, nothing less.  We'll revisit this in a year or 2. 

Mayfield is either breaking, tying or is on pace to capture NFL records as a rookie. In terms of Cleveland records, he's literally re-writing their record books. But as for NFL records...

Mayfield is one of just 6 rookie QB's in NFL history to register 250 yards, 4TD's 0INT's in a game. The difference between him and the other 5? Mayfield accomplished that feat essentially in one half of football last week given that he only threw 4 passes in the 2nd half of that Bengals game because the OC shut the offense down.

The last 3 games, Baker is 10 of 10 in the red zone drives converting to TD's...best in the NFL over that span

Top 3 best Red zone rating on the season with 112.9, only behind Mahomes and Brees.

He has the NFL record for most points for a first ever rookie start with 42. 

Baker's registered the highest game QBR for a rookie in NFL history with a 151.3 (min 20 passes). 

Mayfield has tied the NFL rookie record for most consecutive games with multiple TD's (5 straight games)

Mayfield has thrown atleast 1 TD in every game he's started, which is a current streak of 8 consecutive games.

Lets talk about the "money down" in the NFL which is 3rd down. This is the down that will either keep the drive moving, or will have the punter earn his check on 4th down

Out of 34 qualifying QB's, of the best percentage of catchable passes thrown on 3rd downs this season, Baker is ranked 2nd in the NFL with an 81%. mark. Just to know where the other top drafted rookies stand. #32 is Josh Allen, #33 is Josh Rosen and #34 is Sam Darnold. Lamar Jackson didnt qualify. This makes Baker Mayfield the 2nd most efficient passer on 3rd downs in the entire NFL this season. 

Mayfield is currently on pace to break Peyton Manning's rookie TD passing record (26). But here's the kicker. Baker Mayfield is on pace to record 32 TD's yet Baker didnt even start the first 3 games of the season. In comparison. Peyton Manning Started all 16 games and ended his rookie season with 26TD and 28INT's. 

If Baker Mayfield stopped playing right now his stats would place him among the top 10 greatest rookie QB seasons in NFL history, though he started just 8 of the 11 games played so far.  If he continues, Baker will be on pace to have arguably the greatest rookie season for a quarterback in NFL history.

this is one of those chicken and egg philosophical discussions that can never be truly answered

When the Jets drafted Bryan Thomas (who had a pretty damn good career, all in all) people were pissed when they didn't take Ed Reed. And yes, Reed is a better player than Bryan Thomas. But my question was always, if Ed Reed showed up to NY and instead of Ray Lewis a fellow Miami U alum telling him to get with the program, he's got Herman Edwards goofball no accountability as his "mentor." Would Ed Reed's career have gone differently? 

I wanted Mahomes a couple years ago and by all rights should be flag-boying around this forum to gloat about what a great call that turned out to be. But I know they would have ruined Mahomes, too. there's no Andy Reid here to design amazing plays and impart knowledge. There's Jeremy Bates who was last seen messing with Sasquatch. 

If the Jets took Aaron Rodgers, would they have sat him for 4 seasons? Hell no. did the Jets ruin Mark Sanchez or did Mark Sanchez just suck? Darnold shouldn't have started this season the way they gave him the job (trading Teddy and benching McCown) was yet another Jets' style botch job. (and the fanbase was all there buying jersey's and drinking green Kool aid.

If there's a point to this rant it's this: every job on a football team should be earned.  The Jets coronate quarterbacks and it never works out.  Will Sam Darnold be good? is he already ruined? Tough to say either way but this year was getting thrown into the deep end. At a certain point I wonder if blaming these prospects is easier than considering the Jets franchise crushes everyone who walks through those doors. 

Archived