You are the owner what is your detailed plan to fix it?

JohnnyLV

44 minutes ago, drsamuel84 said:

This may be out of left field but I wonder if there's any chance of nabbing Ozzie Newsome.  I know he's "retiring" but a part of me thinks he's being kind of forced by the Ravens who know if they don't promote DeCosta soon they'll probably lose him.   He's the type of guy that hasn't been mentioned but can really but that under the radar "football czar" we need.  Let him hire the GM and coach, get things moving in the right direction for a few years and then if he wants ride off into the sunset.   I'm sure we'd have to pay him a ton of money but a drastic move is needed to turn this thing around 

Newsome would be great but the Johnsons are sticking us with McCags for at least 3 more losing boring seasons 

14 hours ago, Bugg said:

He also built 2 Super Bowl champs. Would wager a small sum a guy like this would very much like to make his former employer a bit annoyed with his success were he to get hired here. Yes, he had some misses; but his job is to oversee things, troubleshoot, direct. He would not be running the draft, merely seeing the machine gets the Big Picture. And further he would at least be the adult in the room to say, perhaps on Draft Day '17 YOU MOTHERLESS SHEETHEELS ARE NOT TAKING 2 SAFETIES WHEN YOUR OFFENSE IS HOT GARBAGE.

Maccagnan's resume by contrast has....anything???

Reese would be an enormous upgrade over Macc

• Upvote 1

Off the top of my head....

1. Fire Macc and Bowles

2. Hire an experience GM with a track record of talent acquisition.  No first timers.

3. Allow that GM to hire my Coach, with a focus on Offensive Minded and Young with at least successful NFL-level O-Co exerience

4. Cut bait on a goodly number of current underperforming or troublesome players the GM and Coach think may not return to expected/required performance levels.  Eat the cap hit.  We have the space.

5. Focus the 2019 Draft on offense.  Draft another QB in the 3-5 round area to push Darnold and to eliminate any "veteran QB syndrome" the new Head Coach may surrender to in a crisis.  Darnold + Giantboy + Draft pick at QB, no veterans signed, McCown can asst. coach if he wants to stay in NY.

6. Focus the rebuild in FA (and the draft) on O-line, RB and WR, in that order.  

That's my start.

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Reese is like Macagnan except with two Super Bowl trophies

The first of which was 100% constructed by Ernie Accorsi.  Hard to argue with a SB win, however when the rest of your career has been an abject failure (how many playoff appearances outside of the SB win?), I'm not sure why anyone would feel this is the guy that we want running the show.  Hard pass.

16 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

You're certainly allowed to fiat this but if you do it's #1 on the list because willingness to accept an arranged marriage to Darnold then has to be one of the dealbreakers for your hires.

Not sure why the fanbase has a hard time grasping this. How is arranging Idzik with Rex any different than Darnold next coach/GM? Thought we wanted to get away from that.

46 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

You're certainly allowed to fiat this but if you do it's #1 on the list because willingness to accept an arranged marriage to Darnold then has to be one of the dealbreakers for your hires.

I think that's the reality of things no matter who the Owner is or who any potential GM/Coach will be, honestly.

Cutting bait with Darnold after one year just isn't feasible, warranted or realistic.

But.....big but here......I think stacking the deck at QB with prospects is both feasible AND warranted for a team with a QB history such as ours.

And the investment of a mid-round pick might get some "boo, what about Darnold!" feedback from fans, or the "every pick should serve Darnold" reactions we see here, but so what.  If I were the owner, I'd accept that fan feedback to have three young QB prospects on the roster and no oldsters.  Alternate to using a draft pick, I'd accept signing a young QB prospect if one were available, and saving the pick for more offense skill positions or O-line.

I'll be honest, the past few losses would have been MUCH more tolerable to stomach if we had played Giantboy at QB and not McCown.  I can live with a loss, if it looks like we're losing AND developing talent.  Playing McCown is the ultimate "Warfish hates this" move, becuase it's literally only about Bowles trying to save Bowles, and "best chance to win", which at select times isn't whats best for the team as a whole.  And I reject the "players will revolt" argument completely tbqh.

So yeah, I beat this drum every year it seems, but my "system" of QB management is always be young, always have depth, always have prospects stacked behind prospects.  Never have a "veteran journeyman".  There could be exceptions, but not many.

2 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

Love seeing the fire everybody hire new/draft new prospects responses with no idea how you're going to take a team with a reputation for poor management and convince people to come here. If we could have hired a GM or coach with a better track record we would have in 2015. 

Have you heard of this concept folks have come up with.....it's called "lots and lots of money".

1) Hire someone competent, and who believes in data, to be head of football ops and or GM - Not sure you need both, but this person is in charge.

2) Aforementioned person is in charge of hiring the next HC.

3) Everyone is for sale.  Perhaps everyone but Darnold, but if someone makes me a ludicrous offer, he's for sale too.  Accumulating draft picks is the #1 objective of this franchise.

4) 100M is for purchasing an offensive line, though we still address Oline in the draft.

5) Draft offense heavily - I can build a defense later.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

1) Hire someone competent, and who believes in data, to be head of football ops and or GM - Not sure you need both, but this person is in charge.

2) Aforementioned person is in charge of hiring the next HC.

3) Everyone is for sale.  Perhaps everyone but Darnold, but if someone makes me a ludicrous offer, he's for sale too.  Accumulating draft picks is the #1 objective of this franchise.

4) 100M is for purchasing an offensive line, though we still address Oline in the draft.

5) Draft offense heavily - I can build a defense later.

What does it mean to believe in data? Are there actually humans who don’t believe in data?

And isn’t the goal to build a long term sustainable organization , with some SB wins, not accumulating draft picks?

48 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

What does it mean to believe in data? Are there actually humans who don’t believe in data?

Many, it seems.

48 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

And isn’t the goal to build a long term sustainable organization , with some SB wins, not accumulating draft picks?

Accumulating draft picks is my 1st step in building a long term sustainable organization.  There is no one actively on the Jets, save Sam Darnold maybe, but I'll leave that to the GM I hire and the coach he hires to decide, that I view as critical to the long term sustainable success of the organization.  Jamal Adams stays for anything over, say, a top 40 pick.

• 4 years later...