You are the owner what is your detailed plan to fix it?

JohnnyLV

I’m still of the mind that slower = better.  You don’t have to spend all your cap room next season, and we still need more nucleus picks from the draft.  We can start plugging holes in FA bc we do have a qb now, but we aren’t making the playoffs next year either.  

No more Trumaine FAs picks please..  we could have used that contract for so many better things.   Quite generally if we go into FA I prefer older, high character cheaper vets than the first contract guys bc It seems to me that depth is more important than raw talent in this league, except maybe at a few marquee positions.

So, I am the owner and this is what I am thinking:

1.  Since I bought the team it has more than doubled in value, almost tripled.

2.  I now own real estate in New Jersey but am still sharing a stadium.  Therefore, my valuation will continue to go up while expenses are half what they should be.

3.  I am probably going to continue to let my Brother take care of things until 2025 when my bosses boss is out of a job. 

4.  I will suggest to my Brother to bring in a real football guy and then he can find the right coach working with the current GM.  I say this because the GM had one job - get us a freaking QB and he did that!  Now with a substantial amount of cap and another draft to come we can get OL help (which is the next greatest need).  If he can sign that RB to get pressure off my QB I would like that too.

5.  Finally, I am not going to care what the fans say and think.  Most of them do not buy tickets to the games or spend real money that affects my net worth.  They think this is the NY Yankees or LA Dodgers and fail to realize the NFL does not work that way.  They need to understand that ths is an investment to me and not my only one.

Both Mac and Bowles would be gone.  Mac being jettisoned is due partially to his poor drafting but moreso that you need to marry the GM and HC, and it could severely hurt the HC search if the applicants arent sure who the GM will be in 2020 and Mac certainly doesnt deserve an extension.

I would focus on 2 GM hires - Brian Hermindinger and Eliot Wolf.  Both are well respected, young guys and Chris Johnson has the advantage of seeing Hermdinger every day and knows who he is and how talented he may or may not be.  Whoever he picks, must be signed and set within 3-5 days of the end of the regular season.

Once that hire is in place, that person can focus entirely on the HC search and potentially also look to bring in a veteran scout or FO person to serve as a #2.  The HC candidates MUST have good rolodexes of coordinators because we cannot have a john harbough-mornenwhig situation.  We need an innovative offensive mind in here who can work with Sam and open up the offense.  Defensively we do not have the personnel to run a 3-4 and need to find someone to get the most out of the talent we have on defense. Lastly, whoever the OC is, they also need to be married to the QB coach, because IF we actually have a competent OC and they eventually get poached, we dont want to install a new offense, you would hope to promote the QB coach and keep the system the same.

• Upvote 2

A lot of people are set on a "football operations guy"  I don't see the need.  The GM can handle that role.  I don't see the need for the extra title, unless it is an older guy that doesn't want to live the day to day grind, but can be trusted and adds some respect and name recognition.  Guys like Parcells, Cowher and Shanahan might fit this mold, not that I am particularly in favor of it. 

A lot of people are set on a "young offensive minded coach."  I think that we need a progressive offensive philosophy.  I would be fine with an older defensive or ST coach (think Fangio or Toub) if they can sell me what they want on O.  You either need an HC that runs your O, or one that will consistently fill the position with progressive minds.  Not a defensive HC that wants to pad his defensive stats by running the ball 70% of the time.  Think an administrator willing to delegate to the proper parties. 

A lot of people are mentioning not filling the team with older vets.  I will say that many of those guys are the reason our ST is finally out of the toilet.  Roberts, Pierre-Louis and Hewitt are a big part of our decent ST unit.  It is tough to have both and many of those UDFA are undisciplined in ST.  I get not wanting to sign your own FAs, but that is what keeps you from getting comp picks. I think some teams rotate - buyers one year, sellers the next.  That way they maximize comp picks, but can still be players in FA.  

I would analyze every player on my team and the NFL and each would have a price.  Meet or exceed my price and he is yours.  That includes Darnold and Adams.  I like Darnold, but that is a lot of turnovers and he is still not a sure thing.  Blow me away and he might be yours.  A guy like Williams will cost us $14M in 2019.  Can we get something worth more than Williams at that price, plus the big extension it will take to keep him?  Robbie Anderson can be tendered at $3M.  What can we get for him?  I am open to offers, but a 4th from Philly isn't going to do it.  If I can get guys for my price I take them.  Leveon Bell?  Sure, if his huge contract is under the size of the huge contract I am willing to give.  

12 hours ago, GreenFish said:

HC: John Harbaugh

DC: Rex Ryan

OC: Zac Taylor

NYJ: 2020 Super Bowl Champs. 

2021: Sell the team and buy an island. Having to answer questions from Manish will drive me crazy. 

Harbaugh, dumb, Rex mega dumb and the fix will NOT come that quickly unless God kills off all the good teams in the NFL leaving just the 49ers, Jets and Cardinals.

1- Here's the #1 thing we need from a new GM & coach, picking high priority players at the top of the draft! No more DTs, no more Safeties, no more 215 Lb LBs. While all of us are Jonesing for more offense, this up coming draft is loaded at the top with Stud pass rushers. They are NOT going to trade Leonard Williams (his value is low after a bad season), but they are in a position to finally draft a stud pass rusher. If they do then they should also double up & sign any other vet pass rusher that comes available (Clowney?), just 2 stud pass rushers & a new defensive coordinator you've upgraded the defense tremendously after jettisoning Bowles/Rogers! You speed up the pass rush, get Trumaine Johnson to ACTUALLY TRY, and find out if your young guys can step it up out of Derrick Jones, Parry Nickerson, Rashard Robinson, Jeremy Clark. Adams & Maye (if he can stay healthy) are right in their prime. Bowles/Rogers are disasters when it comes to development & scheme, horrible. Just with 2 pass rushers & 1 CB rising & new defensive coaches alone would do wonders for the defense.

2- Now that your defense has added 2 pass rushers, 1 drafted, 1 free agent, EVERY SINGLE ASSET you have left has to go into fixing the offense. That's 6 more draft picks & the money left after doling out the dough for a Veteran pass rusher. If, and this is a big IF, you could secure Lev Bells services for 15-16 million per, you do it to help Sam Darnold, I also resign Quincy to a reasonable contract. You have 2 third rounders, 1 very high. That's gotta be your Center & possibly a WR like Deebo Samuel if he drops into the top of 3rd. 

3- Now that you've jumped into the free agent phase & signed a pass rusher & Bell, I let the dust settle. The start of free agency is always crazy but then the 2nd tier players are usually still there after their agents crazy demands go unsigned. Value, value, value, and if you roll money over into 2020, that's perfectly fine. 2020 is really the aim. Sam will be 23, have a bunch of games under his belt, hopefully an offensive minded creative head coach, and hopefully an offense that's fun to play in & lifts the spirits of these Jets & they start seeing a brighter future. 

4- As much as we as Jet fans see the disaster that Bowles has wrought here, this coaching staff & their incompetence & completely boring approach to football has literally sucked the life out of these players. They have no direction, players want to be led, they need to feel that the work they put in translates to improved play. These guys are going through the motions, they haven't believed in Todd Bowles & Kacey Rogers for some time now. Football isn't fun for these Jet players. Cleaning house will be like a team cleansing, a reboot into where the NFL is headed to. Bowles was & is an NFL Dinosaur & quite possibly a top 3 worst coach in Jets history & that's saying a lot, lol.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

2. Cherchez la quarterback. Darnold is not la quarterback. Darnold is a sunk cost.

How is a 21-year old QB a sunken cost?  I really cannot fathom how people on this board are already advocating getting rid of the QB.  This is lunacy and you should really stop posting for a while, no matter how witty you think you are. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Hire RoadFan as GM.

But you will have so much game film to watch from not watching the games all year.  :)

You should go just in case they offer you the job. It could happen lol. In fairness you couldn't do any worse than Idzik and Macc.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

But you will have so much game film to watch from not watching the games all year.  :)

You should go just in case they offer you the job. It could happen lol. In fairness you couldn't do any worse than Idzik and Macc.

I scout better than they do.  I would love to interview head coaching candidates.

One of my first questions would be... if you are on the road down a score or two on the opponents 40 yard line and it is 4th and less than 2.   What do you do?

If their answer even considers the option to punt.   My response is... "Thank you for your time,"...  while thinking to myself "get the hell out of my office."  I want a coach always looking for a reason to go on 4th down, not punt.

I would also look at how often they use timeouts on 4th downs.  I like coaches that are thinking 2 to 3 plays ahead situationally.  I despise when they have to burn timeouts "to think about it."  You should already know what you're going to ahead of time.  

My first big move would be to sign Le'Veon Bell.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

1. Put somebody in charge and make sure everybody knows who it is. Interview coaches. Interview GMs. Pick the smartest guy among the pool of guys with generally acceptable credentials. Kind of hard to tell when you’re not in the room but it really isn’t when you are.

2. Cherchez la quarterback. Darnold is not la quarterback. Darnold is a sunk cost.

3. Pack the depth chart with rookie contracts. 

Until the three above steps, at minimum, are implemented in a disciplined and ruthless manner you are just ******* around no matter how much you’d like to pretend you’re not.

5 hours ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Too soon.

• Upvote 2

I would have a lackey compile data on the head coaching candidates with for me with previous HC experience, as GM, on how they handle 4th down situations...

How often they punt? How often they go? How often they kick FGs? How often they call timeouts?

I bet one can learn quite a bit about a coach from that. 

Whether or not they have balls...

Offensive or defensive minded in crucial situations...

Whether or not they think ahead...

Red Zone decision making...

Etc...

Some of it would be based on the teams and talent they worked for, if the teams were often ahead or behind, etc... that can be sorted through.  It's something to look at.

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

from some random on twitter 

but honestly, he looks like a dude who would have talked to the Johnsons

Chris Johnson may not have brain made of mashed potatoes; we can build with that.

1. Fire everyone except Heimdinger.

2. Hire a Director of Football Ops who has final say on all major decisions. Could be Mike Shanahan, Jerry Reese (who I think would LOVE to stick it to the co-tenants) or Bill Cowher. offer that guy a lot of money.He will be the Big Swinging Dick of Football Ops. Everyone answers to him. Ownership will not run it's mouth about anything football without talking to BSD of FO first. 

2. Have said  BSD of Football Ops evaluate Heimerdinger's free agency and draft prep, and then make a determination; he is the player personnel director or do we need a new guy for that slot?

Who ever  is The Man, extend him and pay him handsomely. Require he has at least 1 or several people under him who evaluate personnel analytically.Make sure that while he has final say in drafting, he has to lay out a flow chart and a strategy well before that annual dark day in April with BSD of Football Ops. Same  thing with free agency; what is the game plan? who are the targets to fill holes? What are the cap implications?  There can be no more  Trumaine Johnsons.  And for both FA and draft, form now on, positional value is a consideration. ANYONE BABBLING ABOUT BAP OR BEST PLAYER IN THE DRAFT FALLING TO THE JETS TO SELL A PICK TO THE MEDIA AND PUBLIC GETS BEATEN HALF TO DEATH. 

3. Hire a coach who is young, aggressive and serious about a passing attack offense. Being a career NFL assistant is not enough, in fact, it might be a negative(spare perhaps Ken Wisenhunt). . Personally, there are a number of very good college guys who are not on people's radars who are going to move up someday soon-Kingsbury, Jeff Monken or Army, Joe Moorhead of Miss. State and Bob Chesney of Holy Cross jump off the board to me.  Would love to tell you one of the Harbaughs will jump, but I don't see either leaving their current jobs. Make sure whoever is the coach he is working with Darnold daily from the day he gets hired. And make sure there is a QB coach and OC also so involved. 

4. Make the OL, WR, RB and edge rusher priorities.

5. If Nick Bosa is there, he is your pick. If not, start dealing to get a whole bunch more picks. 

Sadly, fully expect NONE OF THIS WILL HAPPEN. Because the Johnsons are still cheap, small-minded and foolish. 

15 hours ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

1. Put somebody in charge and make sure everybody knows who it is. Interview coaches. Interview GMs. Pick the smartest guy among the pool of guys with generally acceptable credentials. Kind of hard to tell when you’re not in the room but it really isn’t when you are.

3. Pack the depth chart with rookie contracts. 

Until the three above steps, at minimum, are implemented in a disciplined and ruthless manner you are just ******* around no matter how much you’d like to pretend you’re not.

Selling already?

2 hours ago, Bugg said:

Chris Johnson may not have brain made of mashed potatoes; we can build with that.

1. Fire everyone except Heimdinger.

2. Hire a Director of Football Ops who has final say on all major decisions. Could be Mike Shanahan, Jerry Reese (who I think would LOVE to stick it to the co-tenants) or Bill Cowher. offer that guy a lot of money.He will be the Big Swinging Dick of Football Ops. Everyone answers to him. Ownership will not run it's mouth about anything football without talking to BSD of FO first. 

2. Have said  BSD of Football Ops evaluate Heimerdinger's free agency and draft prep, and then make a determination; he is the player personnel director or do we need a new guy for that slot?

Who ever  is The Man, extend him and pay him handsomely. Require he has at least 1 or several people under him who evaluate personnel analytically.Make sure that while he has final say in drafting, he has to lay out a flow chart and a strategy well before that annual dark day in April with BSD of Football Ops. Same  thing with free agency; what is the game plan? who are the targets to fill holes? What are the cap implications?  There can be no more  Trumaine Johnsons.  And for both FA and draft, form now on, positional value is a consideration. ANYONE BABBLING ABOUT BAP OR BEST PLAYER IN THE DRAFT FALLING TO THE JETS TO SELL A PICK TO THE MEDIA AND PUBLIC GETS BEATEN HALF TO DEATH. 

3. Hire a coach who is young, aggressive and serious about a passing attack offense. Being a career NFL assistant is not enough, in fact, it might be a negative(spare perhaps Ken Wisenhunt). . Personally, there are a number of very good college guys who are not on people's radars who are going to move up someday soon-Kingsbury, Jeff Monken or Army, Joe Moorhead of Miss. State and Bob Chesney of Holy Cross jump off the board to me.  Would love to tell you one of the Harbaughs will jump, but I don't see either leaving their current jobs. Make sure whoever is the coach he is working with Darnold daily from the day he gets hired. And make sure there is a QB coach and OC also so involved. 

4. Make the OL, WR, RB and edge rusher priorities.

5. If Nick Bosa is there, he is your pick. If not, start dealing to get a whole bunch more picks. 

Sadly, fully expect NONE OF THIS WILL HAPPEN. Because the Johnsons are still cheap, small-minded and foolish. 

Jerry Reese?  Holy sh*t.  From the mind that gave you Ereck Flowers and Eli Apple? That thought signing Brandon Marshall was a good idea? Yikes. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

18 hours ago, johnnysd said:

My plan is below. It is more focused on overhauling the overall philosophy and structure of the team than focusing on a specific head coach. I think there is a lot to do before you even get to that point. However as it says below I am not hiring a retread. I am hiring a young brilliant mind if I can.  Post your plan

It's interesting in that everyone says that we have $100 million in cap space, so we can be super aggressive in big ticket free agency, but Mac has created a nightmare for us where we essentially have half a roster or less for next year and absolutely gaping holes pretty much everywhere. We almost dont even have an offense. Just getting a full roster of JAGs will eat most of the salary cap space we have.

If I am the Jets, I think you need to face the reality that next year is really a complete rebuild year. We likely will be the worst team in the NFL next year, and we should also certainly will be the youngest. We need to have 2 exceptional drafts, and look to 2020 as the year to spend in FA to get to the spending ceiling.

Here is what I would do:

1. Trade Leo. He is the type of non-impact player that is still good enough to be coveted. Because of his age, draft position and the feeling among head coaches that they can coach players up, he has higher value than Sheldon did. I think we can get a first

2. I would be tempted to trade Jamal as well, but he is a good player, and can likely be more valuable under a different DC that puts him in situations that use his strengths. If someone offers a 1 though I seriously consider it, because I am not sure the drop off from Jamal to a JAG in the box safety is that big

3. I avoid day 1 of free agency like the plague, with the only exception being if we can get a very good OL that we can expect to last at least 5 years

4. I would be active in signing a bunch of young second contract max mid-tier guys just to round out the roster

5. For the draft we need to do 2 things. First, focus almost exclusively on protecting Darnold and getting weapons for Darnold in year one and early year 2. Try and trade down as often as possible, with the goal to be over the next 2 years to have 20 or more draft picks, with 11 starters.

6. Be VERY aggressive in UDFA. Pay higher than normal bonuses as needed, and fill roster with high potential, rather than a bunch of third and forth contract veteran guys

7. Decide on what you want this team to be.  What style of offense fits Darnold better? What defense supports that offense the best and is easiest to develop throught the draft?

8. Fire both Mac AND Bowles. Hire a director of football operations, someone like a Polian or Newsome. Have that person hire a GM and work with the GM to hire a coach. Have the hierarchy be Owner>Director>GM>Head coach

9. Emphasize teaching and player development in positional coaches. Find a progressive offensive skilled HC that can develop Darnold, while also managing a balanced team. I do not think the veteran head coach hire is the way to go, as the NFL is quickly moving beyond the skillsets of the veteran head coaches out there, including the Harbaughs. Hire someone like Lincoln Riley, Shane Waldron. maybe Zac Taylor. I would also interview Dave Toub as I think ST coordinators make great head coaches. Have concerns about DiFillipo

10. Invest heavily in scouting and have the new Director and GM completely revamp the scouting staff and philosophy. Whatever our criteria is now is not in any way identifying the best players available. I do not think either Idzik or MacCagnan are dumb, but both were and are horrible drafters, our methodology and process for evaluating and grading prospects has to be off and needs to be fundamentally changed.

11. In addition to revamping and overhauling our scouting and player evaluation process, we also need to seriously adjust our thinking on the relative value of positions in the NFL. Pass blocking OL is much more important than it was in the past. DL, unless that prospect is a 10+ sack guy should never be a first round selection. Strong safety should never be taken in the first round. Basically the first two rounds should be solely focused on protecting the QB, giving the QB weapons., and defensive players that create turnovers. A sack is like have a turnover, so really the first and second round should be prioritized something like this OL>WR=Elite Pass Rusher (end or tackle)>man to man playmaker CB (no zone CBs)>RB>cover MLB=ballhawk Safety

12. Going forward only provide second contracts to players that fit the criteria above for high draft picks.. Let players leave and get compensatory picks, and focus always on building through the draft, young 2nd contract core guys, and priority UDFAs, using a coaching staff focused on player development to develop pro bowl character players

I am definitely on board with the Big Cheese hire.  this sructure is inane

17 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

Good thinking let's trade Adams for a draft pick who might be as good as Adams if we get lucky. Brilliant.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

I would trade Adams if it allowed me to draft an impact player at a position other than safety.  Adams intangibles have proved meaningless thus far.  I would definitely trade him if I could get an effective edge rusher

Front Office Moves

1.  Fire everybody

2.  Hire Eliot Wolf to be the GM.  This organization needs an injection of youth.  Let him hire the HC.

3.  I'd go with Eric Bienemy as the HC.  He has a lot of experience working under Reid and the last OC from KC to get a job was Nagy.  That's worked out pretty well for Chicago and Trubisky.

Free Agency (OFFENSE) (I've BOLDED who I would prefer)

1.  Sign Bell - He is the one offensive FA who can really take pressure off of Darnold

1a. Sign Tevin Coleman - He's the next best option in a weak RB free agency class

2.  Re-sign Enunwa and tender Anderson at a 2nd round level (I would move on from Anderson if I was offered a 3rd and a late pick)

3.  Sign 2 or 3 of these options at WR: Cobb, Golden Tate, John Brown, Tyrell Williams & Funchess

4. Sign C Matt Paradis - This would add in a Pro Bowl level Center to run the offensive line in front of the young QB and a huge upgrade to Long

5. Sign LG Roger Saffold - I would go hard after him to solidify that Guard spot and provide a large upgrade to Carpenter

These moves would immediately make the offense much better and in return help speed up the maturation process for Darnold.

Free Agency (DEFENSE)

1. Edge Rusher - Sign 1 of these guys if available:  Demarcus Lawrence, Dee Ford, Jadeveon Clowney, Ezekial Ansah. (You can't go wrong with any of these guys)

1a. Edge Rusher - Sign 1 of these 2nd tier OLB: Preston Smith, Fowler, Shaq Barrett

2.  CB - Let Morris and Skrine walk at the end of the year replace them with: Ronald Darby & Bryce Callahan (Nickel)

With these moves the defense gets their pass rushers and also replaces 2 underperforming CB's with younger better versions.  There's nothing you can do about Trumaine Johnson except hope he returns to his 2017 form next year.

Draft (Based on current 3rd overall pick)

-1st Round - If Bosa is there at 3 I think you look to trade back for a Kings ransom..  If he gets picked prior to that then if you want your selection of either the top OT or WR I think you have to stay at 3.  Currently Arz (4th), Buffalo (8th), Jax (9th) & the Browns (11th) are all in the market for a Tackle and a WR also.  You may be able to move back a few spots and pick up an extra 2nd/3rd but I think this first round is so deep on the defensive side that I think there won't be much trading.  Maybe a team like Detroit or Atlanta will want to move up for Oliver b/c both should be in the market for a DT. That'll drop us to the 5th or 6th spot where we can still grab an OT or WR and pick up a few extra picks.

3rd Round - Best Available Offensive player should be taken for both picks.  Preferably a skill position player and an offensive lineman

4th-7th Round - BPA

Summary

This off-season needs to be planned in a way that will build around Darnold.  I think adding the pieces to the offense in FA are critical in securing a leap from Darnold.  If the Jets are heading into the draft without upgrades on the OL, RB and WR position you would be putting Darnold in the same situation he's in this year.  I think with over $100 million in cap space the Jets and the new FO/HC need to make some moves in Free Agency to fill holes with talented players on both sides of the ball.  They need to be super aggressive in their pursuit of these players.  The edge rushers are young enough to go to 5 year contracts, the WR's I'd look at 2 year deals for Cobb and Tate and a year longer for the other WR's on the list.  I'd offer Paradis a 4-5 year deal and Saffold a 3-4 year deal but that you could get out of after 3 for Paradis and 2 for Saffold.  The CB's I'd look in the 3-4 year range.  All of these deals need to be structured in a way that they can get out of them after the 2021 season.  That's when the Jets need to start talking contract with Darnold (if worthy). 

The offense needs to be the critical part of the off-season b/c of Darnold.  If they can't address pass rusher in a meaningful way (Signing one of those big 4 edge rushers) then I would have no problem devoting the 3rd pick to an edge player over offense.  But they need to address offense very strongly in FA for Darnold's development.  Anyway that's my opinion and it took way to long to write this.  Thanks for reading.

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

How is a 21-year old QB a sunken cost?  I really cannot fathom how people on this board are already advocating getting rid of the QB.  This is lunacy and you should really stop posting for a while, no matter how witty you think you are. 

Put the jockstrap down and slowly back away. Calling Darnold a sunk cost has nothing to do with whether he’s any good or not. Your feelings don’t matter.

4 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Free Agency (OFFENSE) (I've BOLDED who I would prefer)

1.  Sign Bell - He is the one offensive FA who can really take pressure off of Darnold 

1a. Sign Tevin Coleman - He's the next best option in a weak RB free agency class 

2.  Re-sign Enunwa and tender Anderson at a 2nd round level (I would move on from Anderson if I was offered a 3rd and a late pick) 

3.  Sign 2 or 3 of these options at WR: Cobb, Golden Tate, John Brown, Tyrell Williams & Funchess 

4. Sign C Matt Paradis - This would add in a Pro Bowl level guard to run the offensive line in front of the young QB  

5. Sign LG Roger Saffold - I would go hard after him to solidify that Guard spot

These moves would immediately make the offense much better and in return help speed up the maturation process for Darnold.

Free Agency (DEFENSE)

1. Edge Rusher - Sign 1 of these guys if available:  Demarcus Lawrence, Dee Ford, Jadeveon Clowney, Ezekial Ansah. (You can't go wrong with any of these guys) 

1a. Edge Rusher - Sign 1 of these 2nd tier OLB: Preston Smith, Fowler, Shaq Barrett 

2.  CB - Let Morris and Skrine walk at the end of the year replace them with: Ronald Darby & Bryce Callahan (Nickel)

With these moves the defense gets their pass rushers and also replaces 2 underperforming CB's with younger better versions.  There's nothing you can do about Trumaine Johnson except hope he returns to his 2017 form next year.

IMO this free agent class is a pipe dream.  Even if all these players would be willing to sign here, I think our hundred mill will be gone long before we can fit them all.  I am betting you go well over.  I think you'd be pushing it to get all these guys at their current contracts.  Nobody is going to take a pay cut or give a discount.

2 hours ago, RoadFan said:

I would have a lackey compile data on the head coaching candidates with for me with previous HC experience, as GM, on how they handle 4th down situations...

How often they punt? How often they go? How often they kick FGs? How often they call timeouts?

I bet one can learn quite a bit about a coach from that. 

Whether or not they have balls...

Offensive or defensive minded in crucial situations...

Whether or not they think ahead...

Red Zone decision making...

Etc...

Some of it would be based on the teams and talent they worked for, if the teams were often ahead or behind, etc... that can be sorted through.  It's something to look at.

Just hire 10 high school kids to research certain keywords and phrases on fans' message boards. I don't want to find our owner/GM/VP/whatever to only find out after hiring him that the guy always runs the ball 94% of the time with a lone back lined up 7 yards back. But for damn sure you'll hear the fans harping on it.

Take their biggest complaints with a grain of salt, though, since fans always complain unless the team is always winning (at which point they're only complaining and then verify with actual numbers, but really have to use advanced stats not cumulative stats. Who cares if the coach appears to mix it up cumulatively (e.g. a team that runs it, or seems to run it, 65% of the time but the D sucks and in the 4th quarter they're chasing the opponent which evens out the run vs. pass numbers at the end of the day. The numbers say it's 50/50, but while it was still a game it wasn't near that. Stuff like that). 

Point being, as you allude to, just considering the coach you already think you know what you like. Few people botch the interview itself, so all that's left is finding out what you don't like and seeing which you can best live with.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Jerry Reese?  Holy sh*t.  From the mind that gave you Ereck Flowers and Eli Apple? That thought signing Brandon Marshall was a good idea? Yikes. 

He also built 2 Super Bowl champs. Would wager a small sum a guy like this would very much like to make his former employer a bit annoyed with his success were he to get hired here. Yes, he had some misses; but his job is to oversee things, troubleshoot, direct. He would not be running the draft, merely seeing the machine gets the Big Picture. And further he would at least be the adult in the room to say, perhaps on Draft Day '17 YOU MOTHERLESS SHEETHEELS ARE NOT TAKING 2 SAFETIES WHEN YOUR OFFENSE IS HOT GARBAGE.

Maccagnan's resume by contrast has....anything???

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, johnnysd said:

My plan is below. It is more focused on overhauling the overall philosophy and structure of the team than focusing on a specific head coach. I think there is a lot to do before you even get to that point. However as it says below I am not hiring a retread. I am hiring a young brilliant mind if I can.  Post your plan

It's interesting in that everyone says that we have $100 million in cap space, so we can be super aggressive in big ticket free agency, but Mac has created a nightmare for us where we essentially have half a roster or less for next year and absolutely gaping holes pretty much everywhere. We almost dont even have an offense. Just getting a full roster of JAGs will eat most of the salary cap space we have.

If I am the Jets, I think you need to face the reality that next year is really a complete rebuild year. We likely will be the worst team in the NFL next year, and we should also certainly will be the youngest. We need to have 2 exceptional drafts, and look to 2020 as the year to spend in FA to get to the spending ceiling.

Here is what I would do:

1. Trade Leo. He is the type of non-impact player that is still good enough to be coveted. Because of his age, draft position and the feeling among head coaches that they can coach players up, he has higher value than Sheldon did. I think we can get a first

2. I would be tempted to trade Jamal as well, but he is a good player, and can likely be more valuable under a different DC that puts him in situations that use his strengths. If someone offers a 1 though I seriously consider it, because I am not sure the drop off from Jamal to a JAG in the box safety is that big

3. I avoid day 1 of free agency like the plague, with the only exception being if we can get a very good OL that we can expect to last at least 5 years

4. I would be active in signing a bunch of young second contract max mid-tier guys just to round out the roster

5. For the draft we need to do 2 things. First, focus almost exclusively on protecting Darnold and getting weapons for Darnold in year one and early year 2. Try and trade down as often as possible, with the goal to be over the next 2 years to have 20 or more draft picks, with 11 starters.

6. Be VERY aggressive in UDFA. Pay higher than normal bonuses as needed, and fill roster with high potential, rather than a bunch of third and forth contract veteran guys

7. Decide on what you want this team to be.  What style of offense fits Darnold better? What defense supports that offense the best and is easiest to develop throught the draft?

8. Fire both Mac AND Bowles. Hire a director of football operations, someone like a Polian or Newsome. Have that person hire a GM and work with the GM to hire a coach. Have the hierarchy be Owner>Director>GM>Head coach

9. Emphasize teaching and player development in positional coaches. Find a progressive offensive skilled HC that can develop Darnold, while also managing a balanced team. I do not think the veteran head coach hire is the way to go, as the NFL is quickly moving beyond the skillsets of the veteran head coaches out there, including the Harbaughs. Hire someone like Lincoln Riley, Shane Waldron. maybe Zac Taylor. I would also interview Dave Toub as I think ST coordinators make great head coaches. Have concerns about DiFillipo

10. Invest heavily in scouting and have the new Director and GM completely revamp the scouting staff and philosophy. Whatever our criteria is now is not in any way identifying the best players available. I do not think either Idzik or MacCagnan are dumb, but both were and are horrible drafters, our methodology and process for evaluating and grading prospects has to be off and needs to be fundamentally changed.

11. In addition to revamping and overhauling our scouting and player evaluation process, we also need to seriously adjust our thinking on the relative value of positions in the NFL. Pass blocking OL is much more important than it was in the past. DL, unless that prospect is a 10+ sack guy should never be a first round selection. Strong safety should never be taken in the first round. Basically the first two rounds should be solely focused on protecting the QB, giving the QB weapons., and defensive players that create turnovers. A sack is like have a turnover, so really the first and second round should be prioritized something like this OL>WR=Elite Pass Rusher (end or tackle)>man to man playmaker CB (no zone CBs)>RB>cover MLB=ballhawk Safety

12. Going forward only provide second contracts to players that fit the criteria above for high draft picks.. Let players leave and get compensatory picks, and focus always on building through the draft, young 2nd contract core guys, and priority UDFAs, using a coaching staff focused on player development to develop pro bowl character players

not a bad plan.  i think i'd go after parcells and make him the front office guru much like coughlin is in jax.  let him hire a new coach and at least determine if mac is worth keeping.

as for players they need to find players that fit well into the system they want to run.  no sense in drafting a leo if they're playing a 3-4.  go after a nose tackle and edge rusher.  adams?  he has a bit of mouth but he seems passioned by the game and that can't be taught.  there are a few other guys who really want to get out there and play every down.  some like to take plays off. maybe take a good hard look at trumaine and make it clear that he has guaranteed money but that doesn't mean he'll play if he doesn't do his job.  can't really hit him in the pocketbook.

• I think the Jets have a terrible reputation among the NFL insiders that make the league tick.  No one credible is going to want to work for the Johnsons.  Chris actually projected an image of common sense and intelligence, rather than being a reactionary megalomaniac like his brother.  The problem is that he is not authorized to do anything, so he can't even try and fix the problems they are facing.  
  • The point of the Head of Football Operations is that it interjects someone with experience and football knowledge between the coach and GM/Scout and the Johnsons.  Then maybe we get some good people to want to work here.  A Wolf or Heimerdinger could essentially be the GM/Scout with the support of the HFO.  
  • The reason you hire an offensive HC is because that is the price of an good OC.  You then pair him with a good DC who runs the entire defense.  So then the only thing the HC has to figure out is game management, and there is Dick Curl to help.  If you are John Harbaugh, who is a decent CEO type HC, you have to hire Marty to be your OC.   Some teams can work around this (Seahawks, Steelers), but most can't.  

Here's the problem with all of these detailed plans, and some of them are pretty good, The owner is in London.  I really can't see him leaving his brother, (who I don't remember seeing around the team a lot before he was the boss), re-build the entire FO.  Just can't see it happening.

3 hours ago, Bugg said:

He also built 2 Super Bowl champs. Would wager a small sum a guy like this would very much like to make his former employer a bit annoyed with his success were he to get hired here. Yes, he had some misses; but his job is to oversee things, troubleshoot, direct. He would not be running the draft, merely seeing the machine gets the Big Picture. And further he would at least be the adult in the room to say, perhaps on Draft Day '17 YOU MOTHERLESS SHEETHEELS ARE NOT TAKING 2 SAFETIES WHEN YOUR OFFENSE IS HOT GARBAGE.

Maccagnan's resume by contrast has....anything???

IMO he didn't build a thing.  He took over in 2007 and the Giants won the super bowl with Accorsi's players.  I think Bradshaw was the only player he added that really contributed in 2007 and then Joseph and JPP in 2011.  I guess there are worse choices, but I totally don't see him being this czar (tsar?) that I want everybody reporting to.  I also don't understand why I care that he is motivated to stick it to the Giants.  In all honesty, they gave him more time than he was worth and if my GM (or President of Football operations, or whatever) isn't going to try his best every year, I'm not hiring him anyway.  I never heard of a GM digging deep for a great draft pick for... revenge!

There is only one way to do it, put someone in charge of the whole thing, and get the right guy.

Interview Head of football ops guys

Interview GM's

Interview HC's

Listen to all of their plans to build a winning culture and sustainable franchise that can compete for the playoffs every year and be a legit SB competitor. Listen to their plan around the QB, around the draft, around free agency, culture, everything.

Pick the best guy, and get the **** out of his way.

Any other way has a very low likelihood of success. 

This may be out of left field but I wonder if there's any chance of nabbing Ozzie Newsome.  I know he's "retiring" but a part of me thinks he's being kind of forced by the Ravens who know if they don't promote DeCosta soon they'll probably lose him.   He's the type of guy that hasn't been mentioned but can really but that under the radar "football czar" we need.  Let him hire the GM and coach, get things moving in the right direction for a few years and then if he wants ride off into the sunset.   I'm sure we'd have to pay him a ton of money but a drastic move is needed to turn this thing around