You are the owner what is your detailed plan to fix it?

JohnnyLV

My plan is below. It is more focused on overhauling the overall philosophy and structure of the team than focusing on a specific head coach. I think there is a lot to do before you even get to that point. However as it says below I am not hiring a retread. I am hiring a young brilliant mind if I can.  Post your plan

It's interesting in that everyone says that we have $100 million in cap space, so we can be super aggressive in big ticket free agency, but Mac has created a nightmare for us where we essentially have half a roster or less for next year and absolutely gaping holes pretty much everywhere. We almost dont even have an offense. Just getting a full roster of JAGs will eat most of the salary cap space we have.

If I am the Jets, I think you need to face the reality that next year is really a complete rebuild year. We likely will be the worst team in the NFL next year, and we should also certainly will be the youngest. We need to have 2 exceptional drafts, and look to 2020 as the year to spend in FA to get to the spending ceiling.

Here is what I would do:

1. Trade Leo. He is the type of non-impact player that is still good enough to be coveted. Because of his age, draft position and the feeling among head coaches that they can coach players up, he has higher value than Sheldon did. I think we can get a first

2. I would be tempted to trade Jamal as well, but he is a good player, and can likely be more valuable under a different DC that puts him in situations that use his strengths. If someone offers a 1 though I seriously consider it, because I am not sure the drop off from Jamal to a JAG in the box safety is that big

3. I avoid day 1 of free agency like the plague, with the only exception being if we can get a very good OL that we can expect to last at least 5 years

4. I would be active in signing a bunch of young second contract max mid-tier guys just to round out the roster

5. For the draft we need to do 2 things. First, focus almost exclusively on protecting Darnold and getting weapons for Darnold in year one and early year 2. Try and trade down as often as possible, with the goal to be over the next 2 years to have 20 or more draft picks, with 11 starters.

6. Be VERY aggressive in UDFA. Pay higher than normal bonuses as needed, and fill roster with high potential, rather than a bunch of third and forth contract veteran guys

7. Decide on what you want this team to be.  What style of offense fits Darnold better? What defense supports that offense the best and is easiest to develop throught the draft?

8. Fire both Mac AND Bowles. Hire a director of football operations, someone like a Polian or Newsome. Have that person hire a GM and work with the GM to hire a coach. Have the hierarchy be Owner>Director>GM>Head coach

9. Emphasize teaching and player development in positional coaches. Find a progressive offensive skilled HC that can develop Darnold, while also managing a balanced team. I do not think the veteran head coach hire is the way to go, as the NFL is quickly moving beyond the skillsets of the veteran head coaches out there, including the Harbaughs. Hire someone like Lincoln Riley, Shane Waldron. maybe Zac Taylor. I would also interview Dave Toub as I think ST coordinators make great head coaches. Have concerns about DiFillipo

10. Invest heavily in scouting and have the new Director and GM completely revamp the scouting staff and philosophy. Whatever our criteria is now is not in any way identifying the best players available. I do not think either Idzik or MacCagnan are dumb, but both were and are horrible drafters, our methodology and process for evaluating and grading prospects has to be off and needs to be fundamentally changed.

11. In addition to revamping and overhauling our scouting and player evaluation process, we also need to seriously adjust our thinking on the relative value of positions in the NFL. Pass blocking OL is much more important than it was in the past. DL, unless that prospect is a 10+ sack guy should never be a first round selection. Strong safety should never be taken in the first round. Basically the first two rounds should be solely focused on protecting the QB, giving the QB weapons., and defensive players that create turnovers. A sack is like have a turnover, so really the first and second round should be prioritized something like this OL>WR=Elite Pass Rusher (end or tackle)>man to man playmaker CB (no zone CBs)>RB>cover MLB=ballhawk Safety

12. Going forward only provide second contracts to players that fit the criteria above for high draft picks.. Let players leave and get compensatory picks, and focus always on building through the draft, young 2nd contract core guys, and priority UDFAs, using a coaching staff focused on player development to develop pro bowl character players

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Sympathy 3
  • Post of the Week 1

Any particular names you would like to tie to? That seems like a pretty bland pitch and a long way of saying I would have the perfect rebuild with no explaination of how it would come to fruition. I don't love the fact that you would trade Leo as I would like to see if we can get more out of him with a new hc. The fact that you are debating trading Adams our one truely great player makes the post lose alot of credibility in my opinion.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Go to MacCarthy or Arians or Holmgren and give them “carte blanche” and promise to stay a minimum of 1000 miles away from Florham park.

McCarthy is dreadful.

Holmgren?  He is 70 years old.  I don't know... I am tired of these dinosaur logic thinkers.  Their way is wrong.  The correct way is fast and aggressive.

I personally cannot stomach Arians' comments essentially dismissing the correlation between football and concussions.  Truly despicable.  As for his coaching acumen, maybe?

1. Put somebody in charge and make sure everybody knows who it is. Interview coaches. Interview GMs. Pick the smartest guy among the pool of guys with generally acceptable credentials. Kind of hard to tell when you’re not in the room but it really isn’t when you are.

2. Cherchez la quarterback. Darnold is not la quarterback. Darnold is a sunk cost.

3. Pack the depth chart with rookie contracts. 

Until the three above steps, at minimum, are implemented in a disciplined and ruthless manner you are just ******* around no matter how much you’d like to pretend you’re not.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 5

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Fire them all:

Hire a guy like Mike Shanahnan or Holmgren as VP of football operations.

Tell him to hire a gm who must  be allowed to hire his own coach.

sit back... coach reports to GM who reports to VP who reports to me.

Profit!

I would hire Sashi Brown and go the analytics route. 

• Haha 1

Only way you trade Adams is for 2 firsts in ‘19 or a 1st and 2nd in’19 and a 1st in ‘20

No chance you get a 1st for Leo. A 2nd and 3rd and I’m on it.

I do agree with your draft plan though. Trade down as much as possible...load up on wrs and O lineman and see what sticks.

That way we know what we NEED to spend in ‘20.

Excellent thread. 

1) Fire EVERYONE associated with the infection that is this current regime. There is no anti biotic here, this organization needs a total and complete, top to bottom re-boot. I would even remodel the facility and change the office furniture LOL to eliminate the bad karma that has been there seemingly forever. To remove the CS and leave the GM in place to hire the next coach is putting a band aid on a gunshot wound. Do it right for once. 

2) Go out and get "certified angus" football person as our new GM. A person who has been successful in the past at the art of scouting, recruiting, and ultimately drafting players, as well as assembling an organization. Let the new GM hire the best offensive mind (who actually has a pulse) out there that is qualified to be our next HC. THE OWNER GETS TO HELP SELECT THE GM AND THAT IS IT. THE ONLY OTHER FUNCTION THE OWNER WILL HAVE IS TO WRITE THE CHECKS. THE FOOTBALL OPERATION MUST BE RUN BY THE GM AND HIS SUBORDNATES AFTER HIRE. NO MORE HEAD COACH IS EQUAL TO THE GM, BOTH REPORTING TO THE OWNER B*LL***T.

3) Build a team from the inside out using FA and the draft to get a LT, C, & and / or RT. Guards are easier to interchange and find but these cornerstones are imperative to a successful offense. Notice every championship caliber team has a good, if not great offensive line. With adequate time to throw Sam Darnold will be great, sooner than later. I know picking a LT or RT high in the draft is not sexy when we are starving for something to root for football wise in April, but when we trotted DBrick and Nick out every Sunday, look where we wound up. When we had a great OL in the late 90's look where we wound up, and in the 80's with Ward & Powell. 

4) Get some star power and speed (on offense) in here through the draft preferably. I use out top 3 #1 pick on a stud pass rusher guaranteed to be a game wrecker, a LT who is guaranteed to be a wall, or a big, fast, stud WR who can also change a game and that is it. If no players of this ilk are in this draft for us, trade the pick down if possible. We must be much more careful and prudent in rounds 3 and beyond (since we do not have a 2). You can find some great speed RB's and WR's late in the draft if you know what you are doing. Idzik whiffing on 11/12 picks right before the current disaster of a regime, has killed us and made us what we are today, the team with the worst roster in the NFL.

5) It is time to build a winning attitude in Florham Park. Losing has been rewarded and accepted there for far too long. It is time to instill a mission plan where losing is unacceptable. How they had the ba**s to extend the HC and GM after 2 losing seasons  where not one single player improved under their tutelage is mind boggling. Sadly, the end result is the soon to be 3-13 2018 NY Jets. This kind of thing should never EVER be allowed to happen again to the hard working paying customers who are shelling out thousands of dollars for the privilege to buy tickets to see this football team play. The fans deserve more, they deserve to get what they (over) pay for. What they have gotten over the Bowles/Mac regime falls far below equal value. As of right now, the term NY Jets to me equals misery and something I do not want to be a part of anymore. I have given all I can give over 47 years to this team. I have been at, or watched virtually every game of Jets football from the 70's up until the past 3 years when they became totally unwatchable. They have to get the right personnel in here to change these bad feelings all of us die hard fans have, I know I am not alone.

I wonder, have there been a lot of fights in the stands at the games because the team has been so bad over the last 4 years?

20 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

What I’d do, honestly, is wait until the season is over and I’d pull everyone together and say, “You’re like my family and I want to take all of you to my island retreat in Bimini for the weekend as a thank you for trying so hard.” And then I’d load them all onto my plane and serve them the finest foods and alcohols. Bottles of King Louis. Skate wing. Kobe beef ribs. Whatever whatever. And then when we were over the Atlantic, I’d say “Siri, play artist Aaliyah,” and while Aaliyah tracks played on the PA system and everyone was laughing and dancing despite only winning three games, I’d creep into the cockpit, shoot the pilot through the temple with a silenced Walther P-38 and I’d crash the ******* plane into an oil rig so the explosion could be seen from outer mother****ing space. Boom. I fixed the Jets.

Can I be the owners son in that scenario

• Haha 1

It's not that complicated..

Put Bowles, Rogers, and Bates in a capsule and launch them towards the sun.

Give Macc total authority over the new HC and tell him to stop placating coaches and pick HIS guys.

Spare no expense in luring Chris Petersen to become the new HC of the Jets.

Sign Kareem Hunt, Eli Rogers, and O-line.

Draft an edge rusher with the 1st pick or trade down if your rusher isn't available.

Find a WR on day 2.

• Thumb Down 1

1. Fire Bowles and Maccagnan. Team is now better already, and so is its future.

2. Tell the GM to hire a HC he think will primarily keep a keen eye on developing Darnold. Taking care of that can keep us competitive every year for a long time. So he should look to blow out $ and picks on offense. That means in the short term the offense wins tie breakers in draft prospect value (other than unique-skill edge rusher if there is one available). That means you don’t get outbid by anyone and if you like a veteran player at $13m then you like him just as much at $15-16m per while the starting QB makes only $8m (and besides, few non-QBs can command >2 years max guaranteed anyway). Accept that this team isn’t winning a SB in 2019 unless some major luck of fortune occurs, so the 2nd best thing is to make sure whatever lack of progress might occur with Darnold it isn’t for lack of help around him, plus fans want to see points on the board anyway. If Darnold largely fails as a soph and, fan opinions aside, if the CS determines he’s the problem despite all his recent draft day hopes, so be it. But competition doesn’t arrive until 2020, and at least the team’s next try at QB will have an NFL supporting cast around him day 1 instead of this garbage.

Specific players to bring in? I’m staying away from names for the purposes of this thread request: as owner I let my GM use his judgment without my thumb on the scale for individual pickups. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Pac said:

Give Macc total authority over the new HC and tell him to stop placating coaches and pick HIS guys.

Draft an edge rusher with the 1st pick or trade down if your rusher isn't available.

Find a WR on day 2.

This plan is disgusting. Your brain is a can of peas.

• Thumb Down 1

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I don't expect you or your minions to be able to grasp it.

I'll leave you to froth at the mouth and wield your pitchfork while screaming "FIRE EVERYONE"!!

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

intimidate, assassinate and/or bribe everyone and anyone so the Jets win one SuperBowl in my lifetime (just like the royalty of the NFL)

hire tonya harding to take out tb and bb just for spite (childish I know)

sell the team, give 1 billion to the kids and hand out the rest of the money at my discretion while travelling the world

1 hour ago, Pac said:

Now that is funny, would pay to see the live video as the capsule burns up while they argue on which direction to take and how the heat was not a coaching problem but a players' one...  LMAO  

Nice work Pac, Truly nice work

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ASH1962 said:

Excellent thread. 

1) Fire EVERYONE associated with the infection that is this current regime. There is no anti biotic here, this organization needs a total and complete, top to bottom re-boot. I would even remodel the facility and change the office furniture LOL to eliminate the bad karma that has been there seemingly forever. To remove the CS and leave the GM in place to hire the next coach is putting a band aid on a gunshot wound. Do it right for once. 

2) Go out and get "certified angus" football person as our new GM. A person who has been successful in the past at the art of scouting, recruiting, and ultimately drafting players, as well as assembling an organization. Let the new GM hire the best offensive mind (who actually has a pulse) out there that is qualified to be our next HC. THE OWNER GETS TO HELP SELECT THE GM AND THAT IS IT. THE ONLY OTHER FUNCTION THE OWNER WILL HAVE IS TO WRITE THE CHECKS. THE FOOTBALL OPERATION MUST BE RUN BY THE GM AND HIS SUBORDNATES AFTER HIRE. NO MORE HEAD COACH IS EQUAL TO THE GM, BOTH REPORTING TO THE OWNER B*LL***T.

3) Build a team from the inside out using FA and the draft to get a LT, C, & and / or RT. Guards are easier to interchange and find but these cornerstones are imperative to a successful offense. Notice every championship caliber team has a good, if not great offensive line. With adequate time to throw Sam Darnold will be great, sooner than later. I know picking a LT or RT high in the draft is not sexy when we are starving for something to root for football wise in April, but when we trotted DBrick and Nick out every Sunday, look where we wound up. When we had a great OL in the late 90's look where we wound up, and in the 80's with Ward & Powell. 

4) Get some star power and speed (on offense) in here through the draft preferably. I use out top 3 #1 pick on a stud pass rusher guaranteed to be a game wrecker, a LT who is guaranteed to be a wall, or a big, fast, stud WR who can also change a game and that is it. If no players of this ilk are in this draft for us, trade the pick down if possible. We must be much more careful and prudent in rounds 3 and beyond (since we do not have a 2). You can find some great speed RB's and WR's late in the draft if you know what you are doing. Idzik whiffing on 11/12 picks right before the current disaster of a regime, has killed us and made us what we are today, the team with the worst roster in the NFL.

5) It is time to build a winning attitude in Florham Park. Losing has been rewarded and accepted there for far too long. It is time to instill a mission plan where losing is unacceptable. How they had the ba**s to extend the HC and GM after 2 losing seasons  where not one single player improved under their tutelage is mind boggling. Sadly, the end result is the soon to be 3-13 2018 NY Jets. This kind of thing should never EVER be allowed to happen again to the hard working paying customers who are shelling out thousands of dollars for the privilege to buy tickets to see this football team play. The fans deserve more, they deserve to get what they (over) pay for. What they have gotten over the Bowles/Mac regime falls far below equal value. As of right now, the term NY Jets to me equals misery and something I do not want to be a part of anymore. I have given all I can give over 47 years to this team. I have been at, or watched virtually every game of Jets football from the 70's up until the past 3 years when they became totally unwatchable. They have to get the right personnel in here to change these bad feelings all of us die hard fans have, I know I am not alone.

I wonder, have there been a lot of fights in the stands at the games because the team has been so bad over the last 4 years?

Great post. Agree with most everything. In terms of re-decorating the offices and all that, I am such a strong believer in doing this, that I sort of hope the new uniforms are completely different. I would even be OK with a new color scheme. The Ravens are really the Browns but they are a completely different team with a different identity.. We need that total overhaul. People will butt fumble me for this but I think a completely fresh start could really help this franchise.

"You are the owner …"

I spent many years "forcing" business owners to hire turnaround specialists and spent a few years myself doing just that in a consulting firm. General rule (9 out of 10): First thing you do is take the controls out of the hands of the owner and hire the right people in the right positions. This is done under the realization that the business lacks expertise and skills that the owner doesn't have for the level of the business at the time (or they would not be in the condition that they are in) and that you as consultant have even less … and before you think of it, this is not at all like the "Bobs" in Office Space.

So in this case, you hire (the right) President of Football Operations who has shown some recent success in that position or, even better, had a track record of turning around another failing organization. This is critical. Personal and middle management position decisions (keep. fire, hire) obviously cannot be made by the owner (remember how the subject was broached here) and need to start with the new head, who can make tough decisions that the owner could not make because he would not be as invested emotionally in the organization like the owner is. In this case, it includes players, coaches, the GM, etc.

You pay this guy whatever it takes, including equity if need be, but, you better hire the right person or disaster ensues (you have all seen that in big name businesses tanked in the past x number of years)

The owner needs to step back and not interfere, even with an opinion.

Sounds easier than described though and it might not surprise you that the owner himself is rarely on board with the plan. Unfortunately this will not work here. Nothing will. In the corporate world, the old adage of "when you have them by the 'yarbles', hearts and minds will follow" works, In this biz, you are successful even when you are not so it promotes decades of futility.

There outta be an NFL bylaw for this! 

9 hours ago, T0mShane said:

What I’d do, honestly, is wait until the season was over and I’d pull everyone together and say, “You’re like my family and I want to take all of you to my island retreat in Bimini for the weekend as a thank you for trying so hard.” And then I’d load them all onto my plane and serve them the finest foods and alcohols. Bottles of King Louis. Skate wing. Kobe beef ribs. Whatever whatever. And then when we were over the Atlantic, I’d say “Siri, play artist Aaliyah,” and while Aaliyah tracks played on the PA system and everyone was laughing and dancing despite only winning three games, I’d creep into the cockpit, shoot the pilot through the temple with a silenced Walther P-38 and I’d crash the ******* plane into an oil rig so the explosion could be seen from outer mother****ing space. Boom. I fixed the Jets.

Too soon.

8 hours ago, Pac said:

Find a WR on day 2.

So you've developed a bad gm fetish to go with your bad QB fetish? 

McGack = noodle brain

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, T0mShane said:

4 years ago the first steps of your plan were identical if you replace Bowles with Ryan and McGack with Idzik. 

It was just as stupid then as it is now.

• Upvote 2