What could the Jets get in a trade down

VinnyT16

16 minutes ago, JetsYanks13 said:

I think if we have the 2nd pick and teams fall in love with a QB, then a trade is possible. Oakland needs to beat the broncos Monday night for that to happen. It may be the raiders if Carr gets traded. Shop the pick and shake Oakland down for 2 1st rounders. Trade one of those picks for Evans (TB) and take an o lineman with the other pick.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I'd love to have Mike Evans. Could you imagine Darnold getting in sync just throwing up for him to go get it? Mike Evans, Anderson, Deebo Samuels, Quincy, Bell, Herndon.

6 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Trading down with Denver would be an option IF we get their #1 and possibly Shane Ray or Royce Freeman or Devonte Booker or Courtland Sutton and a 2nd round pick. 

I like that idea to make it more appealing to the trade partner.  It will be hard in this draft to try and get two #1's to move up a few spots.  BUT....You trade down 5-10 spots, recoup the 2nd we lost in Darnold, maybe a lower pick, AND a guy like Shane Ray, who they are probably not going to keep, and we kill 3 birds with one stone. 

If the draft standings were to stay as they are, and the Jets were to trade draft positions with the Jaguars, going from 3 to 5, they would be able to get a 2nd rounder in return.

If they were to trade from 3 to 8 with the Giants, the return would be much higher, conceivably a 2nd, 3rd and 4th.

That's all based on the standard draft value chart. These scenarios are also quite conceivable considering the Jags and Giants could end up bidding against each other for a QB.

7 hours ago, bitonti said:

who are teams trading up for? Be specific 

also note the Giants and Jets don't trade and most likely hate each others' guts 

I wonder if that’s mainly because neither GM wants the ignominy of having a guy/draft pick they traded away turning into a stud playing in their very own stadium opposite weeks. Seems dumb to not be willing to trade to an out-of-conference team. Both teams unnecessarily eliminating their potential trade partners to protect egos.

20 hours ago, VinnyT16 said:

The way I see it three teams in the top 15 are going to be looking for QBs in Denver, NYG, and Jacksonville.

The Jets could potentially be well set up for a trade back to recoup the lost draft capital for Darnold.

Given the fact that the draft is considered pretty weak this year on offense I could see teams being very aggressive to trade up for  QBs. If I was a GM I would absolutely try to land a first in 2020 in whatever deal I make.

If we have the third pick #3...

THE PRICE IS SWAP FIRSTS AND (3) THREE SECOND ROUND PICKS...

I cannot believe Im the first one to say this.

Am I the only one who doesn’t have a short memory what the Colts charged us last year?

Thats the going rate for the third overall pick matter of fact I didn’t even factor in a years worth of inflation.

2 hours ago, GREENLANTERN said:

If we have the third pick #3...

THE PRICE IS SWAP FIRSTS AND (3) THREE SECOND ROUND PICKS...

I cannot believe Im the first one to say this.

Am I the only one who doesn’t have a short memory what the Colts charged us last year?

Thats the going rate for the third overall pick matter of fact I didn’t even factor in a years worth of inflation.

That was a good deal for us as there were 3 QBs we rated worth taken. You overpay for a QB. If we waited until draft day and Darnold was still there, I expect we would have had to pay much more to trade up those 3 picks. If we are drafting 3rd and the best prospect is gone and there aren't any franchise QBs on the board, you are not going to get 3 2nds to move down.

20 hours ago, nycdan said:

Look back at the last few years.  Waiting for a QB to slide does not seem to be the norm.

2018 - 4 teams moved up for a 1st round QB including 3 into the top 10.  Only CLE at #1 stayed put.

2017 - 3 teams moved up for a 1st round QB including 2 into the top 10.  Nobody stayed put.

2016 - 2 teams moved up into the top 2 slots for a QB.  DEN moved into the 1st round.  Nobody stayed put.

2015 - Top 2 teams stayed put and drafted QB.

2014 - 2 teams moved up in the 1st round for a QB.  JAX stayed at 3 and took Bortles.

There will be plenty of interest in moving up IF the QBs appear worth it.  Too soon to know that.  And while Teddy will draw interest, that's one team at most while at least 3, maybe as many as 5 should be seriously interested in a 1st round QB.  And beyond Teddy, there's not much.  Tannehill and Bortles are, at best, consolation prizes.  

Good post. It comes down to how these QBs are valued, and where the Jets ultimately wind up in the draft. 

Also, Nick Foles is under contract with the Eagles next year - for a salary of $20M. The Eagles could/will try to trade him, or Foles could buy himself out of 2019 and into free agency for $2M. Someone is going to make him their starting QB next year, one way or the other. 

We are SOLID at the 3 spot. Teams looking to trade up aren’t going to have to get stripped by the Cards or Raiders since they will not be taking QB’s. At 3, we are in prime position to trade that pick to a needy QB team. Cards more than likely take Bosa and Raiders will go defense or WR for Carr. Cha Ching at 3. Mac needs to wheel and deal this pick. We could get a boatload of picks and still get a top OLineman to plug in right away. 

On 12/17/2018 at 10:58 AM, VinnyT16 said:

The way I see it three teams in the top 15 are going to be looking for QBs in Denver, NYG, and Jacksonville.

The Jets could potentially be well set up for a trade back to recoup the lost draft capital for Darnold.

Given the fact that the draft is considered pretty weak this year on offense I could see teams being very aggressive to trade up for  QBs. If I was a GM I would absolutely try to land a first in 2020 in whatever deal I make.

Mac is such a bad drafting gm, he likely screws up a non top 10 pick. So if he is still here I wouldn’t do it. It isn’t hard to pick top 10, it takes some actual skill to draft later picks. Where mac has been bad. I give him credit for trading those 3 2s to move up from 6 to 3, knowing he likely blows 2 of them anyway. I think he knows he drafts bad, why he never trades down in the early rounds. 

20 hours ago, BroadwayRay said:

If the draft standings were to stay as they are, and the Jets were to trade draft positions with the Jaguars, going from 3 to 5, they would be able to get a 2nd rounder in return.

If they were to trade from 3 to 8 with the Giants, the return would be much higher, conceivably a 2nd, 3rd and 4th.

That's all based on the standard draft value chart. These scenarios are also quite conceivable considering the Jags and Giants could end up bidding against each other for a QB.

And IF there is a QB a team covets (admittedly a big IF in this class), the standard draft chart gets thrown out, and the advantage very clearly goes to the team trading down. 

That's of course due to several factors that have emerged since the original draft chart was created:  1) The QB position has never been more important; 2) It's never been cheaper, in terms of cap percentage, to sign a high pick, and you get him on the cheap for 4 years until his 5th-year option comes around; 3) Precedent has suggested three first rounders can very easily be the going price for the # 1 or 2 pick (depending where you're trading up from), when that would have been a laughable concept 10 years ago. 

16 minutes ago, BigO said:

We are SOLID at the 3 spot. Teams looking to trade up aren’t going to have to get stripped by the Cards or Raiders since they will not be taking QB’s. At 3, we are in prime position to trade that pick to a needy QB team. Cards more than likely take Bosa and Raiders will go defense or WR for Carr. Cha Ching at 3. Mac needs to wheel and deal this pick. We could get a boatload of picks and still get a top OLineman to plug in right away. 

There are no QB's in this draft that would land us a boatload of picks

Archived