Ok...I'm convinced.

Jetster

Watching Todd Bowles defense give up the easiest 44 points Green Bay has ever scored has convinced me that Le'veon Bell is a luxury the Jets can't afford. Right now we're spending over 23 million for Clairborne-Johnson-Skrine. Skrine is gone, Clairborne is DONE, the guy has lost that half step that makes him a target every single game & has Trumaine Johnson shown up in NY yet? 

Anyone that believes for one moment that this horrible secondary doesn't have Todd Bowles influence all over it hasn't been paying attention since this guy was named Head Coach. No resources have been poured into any other position group on this team than have been spent on this secondary! Revis, Cro, Skrine, Gilchrist, Clairborne, Johnson, Adams, Maye. 

While this offense needs help badly, we need better CBs & some pass rushers way before we spend 16/17 million for Bell. Yesterday hammered that point home again. The reason for my change of heart regarding Bell is the development of Sam Darnold & the needs are far greater in other areas of the team. Oline has to be #1, pass rushers #2, Weapons for Sam #3. 

We'll never get off the field with the time QBs get to survey the field & the lack of speed & quickness we have on the backend of this defense. When you lose games scoring 38 points, your the old New Orleans Saints. I think Darnold will be the type of QB that makes good players, much better. We just need more GOOD players. Kearse is finished, Enunwa can't stay healthy, and Anderson is 2/3 WR. 

I'm now in the sign Tevin Coleman for much less, than paying Bell a small fortune. I want long term success & the Johnson contract has proven free agent mistakes have long term consequences. Put together a GOOD group of team players, and start drafting some young offensive skill players in this upcoming draft. Draft edge rusher if we can't trade out & finish the draft with offense. If we can trade down, it would be nice have an extra pick to take a WR (Deebo Samuel?), and a RB. We have to find some players to GROW UP with Darnold. 

I won't bitch if we sign Bell, but thinking more long term & how many holes this team has, I think we can fix this team by spreading our money around on Oline & CB, and get more bang for the buck. I think a new coaching staff will feel the same.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oddly enough, I feel like watching the last 2 weeks has pulled me towards paying Bell. 

There is simply no offensive player worth taking in the top 5.  Yes Jawaan Taylor could make a leap as the top LT, but other then that this is the draft to solidify edge rusher with Josh Allen in the first round.  We need speed and the ability to rush the passer and that is what he brings to the table.

Now, the question is what to do offensively.  Well Sam just put up 340 and 38 points with Eli McGuire as his RB and the same WRs that everyone has complained about all year.  Robby is showing the type of player he can be and herndon is progressing into a weapon as well.  On top of that, the FA WR market isn't great, and we have beyond enough money to afford 3 overpaid years of Bell.  Id love to see the team pay Bell and a C/G in FA and then draft another 2 lineman with our 3rd or 4th round picks.  This draft is pretty deep with the interior OLine and we can hopefully find good developmental lineman in the mid rounds to help the offense.  

Sam and a competent HC/OC will take care of the rest

If we got a first down or two we run out the clock. You think Bell could have gotten us a first down or two? Bell is like an extra receiver on the field and keeps teams in their base defense.

The Rams, Chief's, and Saints basically have no defense to speak of. They're still doing pretty well.

We do need the edge rusher which is what you need for playing with the lead.

The thing is you can only get an edge in the draft because Gruden doesn't have anymore. 

7 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Now you’re getting it.  

His pay day will go way down when the NY Jets with a brand new coaching staff announce, Jets not interested in Le'veon Bell. When that announcement comes, there will be no other team that will make up that 14 million he turned down last year. 

I would personally love Bell but watching these back up RBs making plays all over the league has me thinking we need to just draft our own. If we can sign a free agent center & maybe someone like Trent Brown away from the Patriots, we could use our 3rd round picks for RB & WR. Darnold is so young, we've got time to do this right. 

10 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Oddly enough, I feel like watching the last 2 weeks has pulled me towards paying Bell. 

There is simply no offensive player worth taking in the top 5.  Yes Jawaan Taylor could make a leap as the top LT, but other then that this is the draft to solidify edge rusher with Josh Allen in the first round.  We need speed and the ability to rush the passer and that is what he brings to the table.

Now, the question is what to do offensively.  Well Sam just put up 340 and 38 points with Eli McGuire as his RB and the same WRs that everyone has complained about all year.  Robby is showing the type of player he can be and herndon is progressing into a weapon as well.  On top of that, the FA WR market isn't great, and we have beyond enough money to afford 3 overpaid years of Bell.  Id love to see the team pay Bell and a C/G in FA and then draft another 2 lineman with our 3rd or 4th round picks.  This draft is pretty deep with the interior OLine and we can hopefully find good developmental lineman in the mid rounds to help the offense.  

Sam and a competent HC/OC will take care of the rest

I felt the same way but it is ridiculous what he's asking for. Now if his price comes down a bit, sure. But, as others have pointed out, he'll use the desperate Jets to set the market. I'd rather pay Darby & Tevin Coleman. That's a 2/1 that makes the TEAM better. 

11 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

If we got a first down or two we run out the clock. You think Bell could have gotten us a first down or two? Bell is like an extra receiver on the field and keeps teams in their base defense.

The Rams, Chief's, and Saints basically have no defense to speak of. They're still doing pretty well.

We do need the edge rusher which is what you need for playing with the lead.

The thing is you can only get an edge in the draft because Gruden doesn't have anymore. 

This 100%. We had under 50 yards on the ground yesterday. Given how much of the game we led for, you'd think we'd have been a lot higher than that.

You can look at it one of two ways, I guess ... build an offense to try to outscore the HOF QB on the opposing team, or build a defense to try to stop him. Whether that's Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Big Ben. The way the game is right now, I see the former as the path of less resistance.

What the OP says is true, but this team just needs talent everywhere.  QB has gone from a wasteland to a position of strength.  

This is actually a team that should trade down to get more picks and go with a modified BPA, understanding that “best” is impact.  

The only players under contract that I think I would let go are Williams and Crowell if they can sign Bell or Coleman.  But otherwise, the Jets have so much cap room, and so few players to spend it on, that signing Bell can be a big positive addition to the team, even if the Jets are the highest bidder.  Highest bidder will not be what he asks for.  

6 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I felt the same way but it is ridiculous what he's asking for. Now if his price comes down a bit, sure. But, as others have pointed out, he'll use the desperate Jets to set the market. I'd rather pay Darby & Tevin Coleman. That's a 2/1 that makes the TEAM better. 

Then you would like the “sneak peek” thread’s plan. :)

I would like to see how the secondary performs with proper defensive coaching, this kacy situation is unbelievable - must have naked pictures of todd or something, no accountability 

The last few games it actually seems like bowles has woken up, (dare I say improving as a HC, guess there is nowhere to go but up) a fake punt and going for 4th down conversions, game was fun to watch for 3 quarters - mostly thanks to Sam but will give bowles some credit for letting it happen

ending was classic for the bowles era and good for the Jets draft position - very frustrating if you cared about the outcome of the game, outscored 18-3 in Q4 and lose in OT - LOL

If we build a better offense around Darnold, he will be able to perform like he did yesterday on a regular basis. With the current roster, in time defenses will adjust. We can’t run the ball. Watch NE double Robby. They know we can’t run the ball. Darnold will be left with Herndon and a bunch of scrubs. 

Just because Darnold is good doesn’t mean we should leave him out to dry. 

Let’s build a strong offense first. Aside from getting an edge, the defense can wait.

4 minutes ago, varjet said:

What the OP says is true, but this team just needs talent everywhere.  QB has gone from a wasteland to a position of strength.  

This is actually a team that should trade down to get more picks and go with a modified BPA, understanding that “best” is impact.  

The only players under contract that I think I would let go are Williams and Crowell if they can sign Bell or Coleman.  But otherwise, the Jets have so much cap room, and so few players to spend it on, that signing Bell can be a big positive addition to the team, even if the Jets are the highest bidder.  Highest bidder will not be what he asks for.  

The best way to keep the cap down is to have receivers at TE and RB. WRs are so overpriced right now.

We have no edge rusher and our QB is on a rookie deal. We should have plenty of cap space to indulge for at least the next few years.

You guys make it seem like there's all this other talent sitting around in FA's that we can spend the money, it's rare a guy like Bell comes free - and we're in a cap situation to pay him.

We don't have ANYONE to pay.  I would rather overpay for Bell -than overpay for 3 jag corners that will be no better than what we have now.

We have to spend the money - so spend it on someone that can make an impact on the game.

17 minutes ago, jamesr said:

This 100%. We had under 50 yards on the ground yesterday. Given how much of the game we led for, you'd think we'd have been a lot higher than that.

You can look at it one of two ways, I guess ... build an offense to try to outscore the HOF QB on the opposing team, or build a defense to try to stop him. Whether that's Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Big Ben. The way the game is right now, I see the former as the path of less resistance.

Yes...we found a QB that seems to be able to compete with these guys.  We never had that before so had to go the defense way.  Now we have a guy that can have us in the superbowl hunt every season - he just needs talent around him.

Sure you'll lose some games like yesterday but you're going to win a lot of those too.....You're going to have 11-12 win seasons on a regular basis for the next 15 years...

go the defense route and you sneak out a wildcard every 3 or 4 years.

6 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

We have more money than we'll be able to spend. Drop your dick on the table with your best offer, if he "wants to shop around" yank the offer and go after Coleman.

Did you just suggest yanking your dick at Leveon Bell? :-P 

8 minutes ago, jgb said:

Guys we are gonna have trouble spending the money that’s what people aren’t getting no one wants to come here unless (like Bell) they are pure mercenaries. Most guys balance money with a desire to win.

Bell has said publicly he does not want to be a jet and wants to play for the colts.  He has a reputation as a bad guy and the colts reportedly don’t want him

Sign this beast!

31 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

The Jets need playmakers on offense. The Jets haven't had a playmaker on offense n a long time.  Bell is a playmaker.  Bell will only cost money.  

The Jets need to sign Bell.

Does Bell get the Jets to the super bowl or just add a few wins a year for 3 or 4 years and eat up cap space?

3 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Does Bell get the Jets to the super bowl or just add a few wins a year for 3 or 4 years and eat up cap space?

Bell in a vacuum doesn't move the bar enough but coupled with some other smart FA signings and draft picks, yes, he's worth every penny.  You have to start somewhere, and adding an established star is a good place to start IMO.

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Who's the CB and OLB you want to pay?

Okay, if Clowney somehow comes free and it's between Bell and Clowney - I have no problem going with Clowney (would still prefer Bell) 

We have zero pass rush and our corners are HORRIBLE and you want to sink 20% of our cap room on a part time running back just cuz offense

4 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Anyone watch KC last night?

Mid season:  Hunt is one of the NFL's best stars!

Couple weeks ago:  Ware is awesome!

Last 2 weeks:  Who needs Hunt/Ware?  We have Damien Williams!

Backup:  West looks pretty good too.

Dumb to waste big money on a RB.

Except that the Jets NEVER find that guy and there's no reason to assume that Mac is up to the task.  Signing Bell is Mac proof!

1 minute ago, ChuckkieB said:

Bell in a vacuum doesn't move the bar enough but coupled with some other smart FA signings and draft picks, yes, he's worth every penny.  You have to start somewhere, and adding an established star is a good place to start IMO.

If he was 23 yes but he’s 27. It’s pushing it. 

They need to start with the Oline. 

5 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Bell certainly gives you a better chance and he will help develop Darnold.  Everything the Jets do over the next few years should be with Darnold in mind.

Does anyone else we're going to pay get us to the Super Bowl?

14 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Leveon Bell can play corner and OLB?  Awesome

Change the defensive schemes and just maybe guys on defense will play to their potential.  We sign a press corner and have him play off 10 yards in space , the ineptitude of the CS can't be overlooked.  We have Dlinmen suited for a 4-3 but force them into a 3-4 because that's the D the HC knows.

Archived