Chris Johnson: New coach will report to me

Lizard King

The Mahomes angle has to stop.  Every team that passed on Mahomes would be dysfunctional then.  No one passed on any of the QBs because of Fitzpatrick, thats not even close to being true.  Give KC credit they saw something in him.   Hardly anyone agreed.  Happens.  Happened with Montana, Marino, Brady, the list goes on and on.  Missing on the opportunity to draft a player who surprises and develops hurts and is a wasted opportunity but doesnt make you dysfunctional.  

Every other team wasn’t desperate for a QB.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

This notion that “they were in most games” to somehow justify the talent here is laughable.  It’s the NFL, even the worst teams are in most games.   What NFL team really gets blown out week in and week out?   As compared to other teams in the NFL, the Jets level of talent is among the worst.  You go up and down the rosters of every team and find a handful of “good” players, that doesn’t make that team talented.  

You call it laughable.  But its true.  But the point is good coaching could have made a difference in some of those games.  No one said that theyre near the top talent wise.  Just that a competitive coaching staff can make a difference.

Nothing laughable in saying that.  

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

You call it laughable.  But its true.  But the point is good coaching could have made a difference in some of those games.  No one said that theyre near the top talent wise.  Just that a competitive coaching staff can make a difference.

How much of a difference?  2 more wins?   

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Every other team wasn’t desperate for a QB.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Of course.  Today history becomes that no one other than the Jets picking in the top 10 needed a QB.

But the fact is Cleveland desperately needed a QB.  Forgot?

The Bears today would have drafted Mahomes over Trubiski.  And saved picks

49'rs wouldnt have had to trade for Garapollo

Jax shouldnt have move away from Bortles?  

The Bengals in a redo wouldnt have taken Mahomes?

Youre right, only the Jets should be kicking themselves

3 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I listed games that were winnable, obviously you dont win them all but a few more wins when you win only 4 makes a difference.  I'd take them.  I would think if a new HC comes in and wins more games we'd be happy with that 

13 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

How does a guy who is on the same level as the head coach prove that he belongs in that chair? The Jets power structure is not conducive for a GM to succeed if he doesn't truly have control over the team. A guy with a strong background in scouting all of a sudden forgets how to scout players? When the GM and head coach both report to the owner, the head coach becomes the de facto GM.  

It's possible that Macc truly does suck at GM. As soon as he becomes more than a GM in name only, we can find out if/when he becomes a GM of another organization who isn't owned by morons.

You (flgreen and a few others) make a good point, I just don't like the idea of effectively promoting Mac

if the HC does not develop or even play the players selected it is hard to judge anyone -  the HC reporting to the GM forces that interaction - we saw that power play out with the Ravens this year 

13 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I listed games that were winnable, obviously you dont win them all but a few more wins when you win only 4 makes a difference.  I'd take them.  I would think if a new HC comes in and wins more games we'd be happy with that 

How often was the opponent not all that worried about the Jets' anemic offense coupled with a coach who was more concerned with making it look okay rather than going for it on 4th down 2 scores in the 4th? Bowles was a coward who often coached scared, that is, when he wasn't simply incompetent. Heck, down big time Sunday took a knee at half with 3 timeouts in his pocket. 

5 minutes ago, Bugg said:

How often was the opponent not all that worried about the Jets' anemic offense coupled with a coach who was more concerned with making it look okay rather than going for it on 4th down 2 scores in the 4th? Bowles was a coward who often coached scared, that is, when he wasn't simply incompetent. Heck, down big time Sunday took a knee at half with 3 timeouts in his pocket. 

We have no idea if any game was looked at that way.  I would think given how games can turn, how any play can change momentum, with any team you dont coach against any NFL opponent like its in the bag.  I dont think NFL coaches are wired that way

51 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

The Mahomes angle has to stop.  Every team that passed on Mahomes would be dysfunctional then.  No one passed on any of the QBs because of Fitzpatrick, thats not even close to being true.  Give KC credit they saw something in him.   Hardly anyone agreed.  Happens.  Happened with Montana, Marino, Brady, the list goes on and on.  Missing on the opportunity to draft a player who surprises and develops hurts and is a wasted opportunity but doesnt make you dysfunctional.  

No way Jose.  The ONLY teams that passed on Mahommes already had a QB except us and the Browns. look at the draft.   you excuse the poor management of this team but eventually , over 8 years, the record speaks for itself.  I could bring up Russel Wilson, that would be debatable and to your point. BUT we had NO QB and passed on 2 that are legit so we could draft a safety.     Only 9 teams passed on them.  1 took a QB, the rest had a QB and then there is the Browns and the JETS. 

53 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Like every HC candidate youre trying to attract. 

I love the fact that people believe that if you inherited you money its an insult.  

It’s not an insult...  they simply have NEVER shown they can make decisions that make money. 

That and their garbage history ..,there is that pesky history again.   

Chris Johnson fools no one. 

5 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

No way Jose.  The ONLY teams that passed on Mahommes already had a QB except us and the Browns. look at the draft.   you excuse the poor management of this team but eventually , over 8 years, the record speaks for itself.  I could bring up Russel Wilson, that would be debatable and to your point. BUT we had NO QB and passed on 2 that are legit so we could draft a safety.     Only 9 teams passed on them.  1 took a QB, the rest had a QB and then there is the Browns and the JETS. 

OK, keep selling this.  Its totally wrong and not debatable.  The Bears drafted Trubiski that same year at the top of the draft.  Jax passed. need more?  SF needed a QB at the time.  

9 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

It’s not an insult...  they simply have NEVER shown they can make decisions that make money. 

That and their garbage history ..,there is that pesky history again.   

Chris Johnson fools no one. 

Really?  Not an insult but always seems to be brought up when whining about owners.  Like running a highly recognized and profitable hospital group doesnt prove what exactly?  Running charitable institutions shows no abitity to make decisions?  Climbing up their party of choice and raising money for candidates?

Of course theres always buying a entity like the Jets for 635 million and a relatively short time later having it grow into one of the top valued team at a 3+ billion dollar team.  

Its easy to just have an opinion and downplaying the obvious.

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Really?  Like running a highly recognized and profitable hospital group doesnt prove what exactly?  Running charitable institutions shows no abitity to make decisions?  Climbing up their party of choice and raising money for candidates?

Of course theres always buying a entity like the Jets for 635 million and a relatively short time later having it grow into one of the top valued team at a 3+ billion dollar team.  

come on man

8 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

The record also shows that Maccagnan drafts virtually in the same way Bowles coaches, scared, scared for his job and looking to protect himself, I'm pretty sure he actually knows that he is in way over his head.  "Scared money doesn't win money" (more waste of time keeping this guy employed, only hope is his responsibilities are busted down more and more).  That's how you wind up with a Safety in a draft slot Safety should NEVER be picked, or ANY interior Dlineman not named Aaron Donald.  Anyone want to debate that?  He gave Kirk Cousins the key to vault last off season and I just learned Cousins career record against opponents with winning records...hold on...it's 4-25....yes, you read that right, 4-25.  So either Maccagnan either puts his own personal interests ahead of the team, or if he didn't know about 4-25 he is beyond grossly incompetent.  Thank the lucky stars Cousins threw those keys on the ground.

Did you watch Chris Johnsons press conference? He looked like he lost his notes or the teleprompter shut down. About as much enthusiasm and excitement in his voice as a rock. What a crappy attempt at trying to assure Jet fans things will change. It's the end of an error and the beginning of a new error. SOJ

55 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I think a better coach would have won the browns game, as well as the packers game.  And maybe the Texans game.  And this is with inferior talent.  

Also, the jets have the most consecutive games without scoring a td on their opening drive, I think it’s 24.  So basically this team ALWAYS starts out flat, and usually, is playing from behind. This is also coaching.  

14 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

OK, keep selling this.  Its totally wrong and not debatable.  The Bears drafted Trubiski that same year at the top of the draft.  Jax passed. need more?  SF needed a QB at the time.  

jags and SF had their QB in their minds. Their QB had a solid year and showed promise.  You won’t even look at facts...  the JETS love guys like you.  Jags and SF is your answer???   

5 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

The record also shows that Maccagnan drafts virtually in the same way Bowles coaches, scared, scared for his job and looking to protect himself, I'm pretty sure he actually knows that he is in way over his head.  "Scared money doesn't win money" (more waste of time keeping this guy employed, only hope is his responsibilities are busted down more and more).  That's how you wind up with a Safety in a draft slot Safety should NEVER be picked, or ANY interior Dlineman not named Aaron Donald.  Anyone want to debate that?  He gave Kirk Cousins the key to vault last off season and I just learned Cousins career record against opponents with winning records...hold on...it's 4-25....yes, you read that right, 4-25.  So either Maccagnan either puts his own personal interests ahead of the team, or if he didn't know about 4-25 he is beyond grossly incompetent.  Thank the lucky stars Cousins threw those keys on the ground.

@Jet Nut Can’t wait to read your r espinse here. FACTS and hIstory are tough to dispute. 

13 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Really?  Not an insult but always seems to be brought up when whining about owners.  Like running a highly recognized and profitable hospital group doesnt prove what exactly?  Running charitable institutions shows no abitity to make decisions?  Climbing up their party of choice and raising money for candidates?

So giving money away and running a football enterprise are correlated skills?  

3 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

jags and SF had their QB in their minds. Their QB had a solid year and showed promise.  You won’t even look at facts...  the JETS love guys like you.  Jags and SF is your answer???   

And Macc had Darnold on his mind a year earlier.  So?  BTW, the idea that SF had a QB on their mind is nonsense.  They had no idea that the Pats would trade Garapollo.  Thats totally made up and makes absolutely no sense. You arent the one looking at facts, especially if thats the line youre selling.  

Jags, SF, Chicago, Cleveland is my answer.  Yes it is.  Want to throw the jags out, ok.  The others, not a chance. 

We picked 6th and youre still whining that we should have picked Mahomes and the claim was made that we were the only team in the top who needed a QB.  Every one of those picked ahead of us and needed a QB.  You dont want to see it, fine.  

4 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

So giving money away and running a football enterprise are correlated skills?  

No, youre totally right.  Investing under a billion, seeing it turn into billions fills the definition of proving he cant make money. 

Have no idea what your point is and how its proof of anything negative.  Youre not making a point on any level

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

It is laughable you except a far below average team. Do you use the same pathetic excuses for 16,17 too when we 6th worst team in nfl back to back ? Ok sure, maybe a better coach wins us 2 more games this yr, and we once again on 6th worst team in nfl. Look at the contracts, draft pick busts, then compare with other teams. Mac is the worst gm, or close to it in entire nfl. I demand much better for my team, won’t be a homer who makes week pathetic excuses why we suck every yr ?

1 minute ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

It is laughable you except a far below average team. Do you use the same pathetic excuses for 16,17 too when we 6th worst team in nfl back to back ? Ok sure, maybe a better coach wins us 2 more games this yr, and we once again on 6th worst team in nfl. Look at the contracts, draft pick busts, then compare with other teams. Mac is the worst gm, or close to it in entire nfl. I demand much better for my team, won’t be a homer who makes week pathetic excuses why we suck every yr ?

whats really laughable is that you believe you know what I accept.  I havent made one single excuse for anything.  And of course leads to listing everything we need to improve as if youve discovered something no one else is aware of.  

19 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

You're saying THEY are responsible for the current fair market value of the Jets????

Owning ANY pro NY sports franchise is basically a license to print money.  The NY Knicks who have barely made a playoff game over the last 40 years are one of the most valuable franchises in the world.  Owned by the son of a guy who made all the money, the son has his own "blues band" (George Carlin has a nice bit on "blues bands").  And because they have the letter NY before their name the Jets will continue to appreciate in value at an astronomical rate, just like all other NY franchises...this has NOTHING to do with those who own the Jets.

Also, do you really think they personally RUN ANY organization with their name on it?  Or do they pay lawyers and CPA's to do it?

I could be wrong but I wouldn't feel confident in them personally running a corner deli and have it show a profit.

Facts are stubborn things.

2 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

You're saying THEY are responsible for the current fair market value of the Jets????

Owning ANY pro NY sports franchise is basically a license to print money.  The NY Knicks who have barely made a playoff game over the last 40 years are one of the most valuable franchises in the world.  Owned by the son of a guy who made all the money, the son has his own "blues band" (George Carlin has a nice bit on "blues bands").  And because they have the letter NY before their name the Jets will continue to appreciate in value at an astronomical rate, just like all other NY franchises...this has NOTHING to do with those who own the Jets.

Also, do you really think they personally RUN ANY organization with their name on it?  Or do they pay lawyers and CPA's to do it?

I could be wrong but I wouldn't feel confident in them personally running a corner deli and have it show a profit.

Facts are stubborn things.

No, saying you invest, the value increases you made money.  You dont then turn around and come up with reasons why it doesnt count.  Or that running a hospital system and any other entity in their portfolio is also proof that theyre incompetent.  Or that it proves they couldnt run a corner deli.  

12 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

whats really laughable is that you believe you know what I accept.  I havent made one single excuse for anything.  And of course leads to listing everything we need to improve as if youve discovered something no one else is aware of.  

Dude it’s extremely obvious..  Mac or a jet player could take a dump in a box and hand it to you and you would say thank you :) hey I like your 100% always positive complete blind faith in the team, When we are yr in yr out one of worst teams in nfl, we need guys like you.. I’m sure you believe every yr will be a winner, only to be very disappointed every yr.. 

1 minute ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Dude it’s extremely obvious..  Mac or a jet player could take a dump in a box and hand it to you and you would say thank you :) hey I like your 100% always positive complete blind faith in the team, When we are yr in yr out one of worst teams in nfl, we need guys like you.. I’m sure you believe every yr will be a winner, only to be very disappointed every yr.. 

Youre incapable of determining whats obvious or not.  You just go on your way seeing doom in gloom, predicting more and nothing more.  Go start threads how no one will accept the Jets HC position.  It shows how much you know about coaches, the jets and football in general.  How even handed you are.  You confuse the idea that not whining about every aspect of the team means someone is completely happy with everything.

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Youre incapable of determining whats obvious or not.  You just go on your way seeing doom in gloom, predicting more and nothing more.  Go start threads how no one will accept the Jets HC position.  It shows how much you know about coaches, the jets and football in general.  How even handed you are.  You confuse the idea that not whining about every aspect of the team means someone is completely happy with everything.

Except while I said we won’t be good this yr, Bates would be a disaster, you did your little routine of attacking the intelligent non homer fan for seeing the truth. Except I was right and of course you were wrong as usual ?‍♂️

34 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And Macc had Darnold on his mind a year earlier.  So?  BTW, the idea that SF had a QB on their mind is nonsense.  They had no idea that the Pats would trade Garapollo.  Thats totally made up and makes absolutely no sense. You arent the one looking at facts, especially if thats the line youre selling.  

Jags, SF, Chicago, Cleveland is my answer.  Yes it is.  Want to throw the jags out, ok.  The others, not a chance. 

We picked 6th and youre still whining that we should have picked Mahomes and the claim was made that we were the only team in the top who needed a QB.  Every one of those picked ahead of us and needed a QB.  You dont want to see it, fine.  

Not to mention Buffalo, also desperate for a QB who traded out of the pick at 10 to KC. They didn’t fancy either Mahomes or Watson there either. 

Just now, Jetsplayer21 said:

Except while I said we won’t be good this yr, Bates would be a disaster, you did your little routine of attacking the intelligent non homer fan for seeing the truth. Except I was right and of course you were wrong as usual ?‍♂️

OK, now youre going too far.  Find one post where I attacked anyone over Bates.  Find it, paste it or STFU.  1, never happened. 2, youre not an intelligent non homer fan.  

As I said, go back to predicting no one will accept the Jets HC position.  If there is anything that says intelligent that was a thread of all threads

2 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

Not to mention Buffalo, also desperate for a QB who traded out of the pick at 10 to KC. They didn’t fancy either Mahomes or Watson there either. 

Forgot about the Bills since they traded out.  More proof that we were the only team that needed a QB.

Thanks.

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

No, saying you invest, the value increases you made money.  You dont then turn around and come up with reasons why it doesnt count.  Or that running a hospital system and any other entity in their portfolio is also proof that theyre incompetent.  Or that it proves they couldnt run a corner deli.  

But it is very important to understand the definite distinction.

Say you invest in a stock, the company's earnings decelerate and virtually all of their operations are now performing poorly because the company hired grossly incompetent people as managers (ie the NY Jets), all things being equal there is an extremely high probability that the market value of the stock will go down, probably heavily, as it should....that is "fair"

Now you take the virtually the SAME scenario and apply it to the Jets.  You just had a truly awful Head Coach who was fired, they had no choice, guy's wives who know very little about football were commenting on what an awful coach he was.  You also have a truly awful GM who is also in way over his head in his position.  He has "built" one of the weakest rosters in the NFL.  So weak in fact that it actually might be worse than the day the GM was given the job 4 YEARS AGO.  He was ready to hand Kirk Cousins and his 4-25 Record vs Winning Teams close to $100Mill to protect his own job last year, don't get a QB or at least a potential Franchise QB he knows his charade of being a GM is over.

The Owner should not be some greenhorn at the present time, but his actions would make people think he is, he has been owner of the Jet Franchise FOR 18 YEARS now, he should have some abilities in knowing how to shape the management of his team after 18 years, yet he basically throws up his hands wanting someone to hold one.  Asking some consulting firm to find him a GM, what a disaster, then asking the NFL to help him find both the coach and the GM, a disaster that is STILL playing out and will for a minimum of 5 years.  These are decisions a smart, competent owner decides themselves.  Sure they'll have help, but the last "yes" vote is theirs.

If the Jet "investment" were "fair", like the stock example, the Jets should be practically worthless.  Why? Because of the abysmal results.

So no I don't "count" the Jet investment as to the owner being competent.  Anyone with close to $700Mill would have had the SAME results buying the team 18 years ago, and most likely would have put a much better product on the field.  Again, ANY NY team is a goldmine, win or lose.

If I bet on Secretariat, which is the same thing as having the money to buy a NY Franchise, would you call me "smart" or "competent"?  You shouldn't.

2 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

But it is very important to understand the definite distinction.

Say you invest in a stock, the company's earnings decelerate and virtually all of their operations are now performing poorly because the company hired grossly incompetent people as managers (ie the NY Jets), all things being equal there is an extremely high probability that the market value of the stock will go down, probably heavily, as it should....that is "fair"

Now you take the virtually the SAME scenario and apply it to the Jets.  You just had a truly awful Head Coach who was fired, they had no choice, guy's wives who know very little about football were commenting on what an awful coach he was.  You also have a truly awful GM who is also in way over his head in his position.  He has "built" one of the weakest rosters in the NFL.  So weak in fact that it actually might be worse than the day the GM was given the job 4 YEARS AGO.  He was ready to hand Kirk Cousins and his 4-25 Record vs Winning Teams close to $100Mill to protect his own job last year, don't get a QB or at least a potential Franchise QB he knows his charade of being a GM is over.

The Owner should not be some greenhorn at the present time, but his actions would make people think he is, he has been owner of the Jet Franchise FOR 18 YEARS now, he should have some abilities in knowing how to shape the management of his team after 18 years, yet he basically throws up his hands wanting someone to hold one.  Asking some consulting firm to find him a GM, what a disaster, then asking the NFL to help him find both the coach and the GM, a disaster that is STILL playing out and will for a minimum of 5 years.  These are decisions a smart, competent owner decides themselves.  Sure they'll have help, but the last "yes" vote is theirs.

If the Jet "investment" were "fair", like the stock example, the Jets should be practically worthless.  Why? Because of the abysmal results.

So no I don't "count" the Jet investment as to the owner being competent.  Anyone with close to $700Mill would have had the SAME results buying the team 18 years ago, and most likely would have put a much better product on the field.  Again, ANY NY team is a goldmine, win or lose.

If I bet on Secretariat, which is the same thing as having the money to buy a NY Franchise, would you call me "smart" or "competent"?  You shouldn't.

You know this a whole lot of effort to try and prove that he has no idea how to invest or make money.  Someone made a point that he has never proven he knows how to make money.  Its not complicated

Archived