Chris Johnson: New coach will report to me

Lizard King

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That the Jets have to annually declare the reporting structure of their convoluted, befuddled and malicious front office is hilarious. Company outings have to be a blast. I see multi-million dollar org getting one of those canopy things in the local park, giving everyone 2 drink tickets to get Bud Ice from the cooler, and pockets of miserable a-holes distributed in cliques spitting venom about each other for 3 hours on a Saturday afternoon.... because they are too cheap to do it during work hours.

1 minute ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

sadly, it is a  better option then reporting to Mac until he proves he belongs in that chair - this is good news

I agree.  It might cause some candidates to stay in the hunt where they might otherwise bow out of consideration if they thought would be reporting to a potentially lame duck GM.

At some point however we do need to get back onto a more traditional cadence where a new GM hires his choice of HC.

16 minutes ago, jack48 said:

FAN  is reporting that CJ is telling the press that the new coach will be his pick, and will be on an equal footing with Macc.  Reporting to CJ directly......Oy.....

He never said it would be his pick

7 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

This could be good. Might mean that Maccagnan isn't on solid footing. Could also mean that if someone like Harbaugh wants control of everything he's going to get it.

You're right.  Looks like Macc is on thinner ice than originally thought.

But that is not good.  It means that they will continue this forced, arranged marriage cycle.  Johnson might force a new GM on whatever coach they hire.

Keeping Macc is debatable.  But by keeping him... the commitment should have been to let him hire a coach, and the two of them work together towards the same vision.

Serious question, and one I wish a reporter would actually sack up and ask Chris:

What exactly are Christopher Johnson's qualifications as an executive? What organization has he ever built and successfully led from the ground up? I'm not talking charities that he's run using money his grandfather made for him. Something HE'S actually done. What's his education? What football experience does he have that qualifies him to supervise a head coach?

This is an idiotic organizational structure and part of the reason we has such finger pointing and disfunction this past season.

That said, if we start with the assumption that Mac is staying it almost makes sense. Granted Mac should have been gone, but if you insist on keeping him, are you really going to empower him? I think this says Mac is on thin ice and the new HC will have a lot of sway.

2 minutes ago, RVAJet815 said:

I mean on one hand, lots of teams are doing it this way. On the other, none of those teams have the Johnsons calling the shots. 

On the good side, new HC won't answer to Macc, so there's that.

I told you guys Macc would not be an authoritarian. He's gonna give the coaches reports on potential draft picks, free agents, manage the cap, build draft boards, report on possible trades that could be made but he'll do none of that in a vacuum & he's done nothing here completely on his own. This confirms to me the defensive lean that Bowles had has hamstruck this organization & will take new defensive coaches & and a few more players to fix. 

4 years later with a complete lack of development on the defensive side of the ball & 85% of our assets used there. Bowles was a nightmare, at least if we had signed an offensive coach, I'm sure we wouldn't have ignored offense at the top of the draft so often. 

Archived