Chris Johnson: New coach will report to me

Lizard King

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Given the idiotic retention of Maccagnan, there was literally no good news that would come out regarding who the new coach would report to.  The only slight plus side of this particular decision is that it will at least be letting know any quality head coach candidates that they don't need to listen the buffoonery of the team's incompetent GM.  It also makes it at least possible we won't have to deal with countless years more of Macc's idiocy if the coach just so happens to do well in spite of him.

4 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

Serious question, and one I wish a reporter would actually sack up and ask Chris:

What exactly are Christopher Johnson's qualifications as an executive? What organization has he ever built and successfully led from the ground up? I'm not talking charities that he's run using money his grandfather made for him. Something HE'S actually done. What's his education? What football experience does he have that qualifies him to supervise a head coach?

So you think theres a NFL team, anywhere where the owner isnt involved in the hiring of the teams HC?  He said hes going to work with Macc and Heimerdinger on the hire.  What would you expect and why?

31 minutes ago, slats said:

Hopefully, the Jets land big enough game that the coach reports to the Johnsons and that Mac reports to the coach. 

That is the hope - basically what the Raiders are doing with Mayok.  

I would have new found faith in this organization if they end up with a the Big Game and empower him.

The Johnson brothers are the problem with this franchise. Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result is insanity and stupidity.The GM must hire the coach!  Time to root for a new team. 50 years of stupidity. I am out of patience hoping they will get it right. As a Jet fan since 1960 when the AFL was born and a 38 year season ticket holder I have had it. Same Old Jets!!!!

11 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

Serious question, and one I wish a reporter would actually sack up and ask Chris:

What exactly are Christopher Johnson's qualifications as an executive? What organization has he ever built and successfully led from the ground up? I'm not talking charities that he's run using money his grandfather made for him. Something HE'S actually done. What's his education? What football experience does he have that qualifies him to supervise a head coach?

This. So much this. Being a walking blue checkmark may play with the national media, but he's not fooling anyone.

1 minute ago, Squirt said:

The Johnson brothers are the problem with this franchise. Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result is stupidity.The GM must hire the coach!  Time to root for a new team 50 years of stupidity. I am out of patience hoping they will get it right. As a Jet fan since 1960 when the AFL was born and a 38 year season ticket holder I have had it. Same Old Jets!!!!

As per Einstein that's actually the definition of insanity.  

12 minutes ago, jack48 said:

I

That is what Carlin said, per Kim Smith who is at the presser. Hope you are right.

He was asked at his presser and said all 3 would be involved together.

Manish reported it

HQbIpK-u_bigger.jpgManish MehtaVerified account @MMehtaNYDN
FollowFollow @MMehtaNYDN
More

Christopher Johnson said that GM Mike Maccagnan, VP of player personnel Brian Heimerdinger and he will be involved in the head coaching search.

26 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

sadly, it is a  better option then reporting to Mac until he proves he belongs in that chair - this is good news

Exactly, i’d Have thought people would be a lot happier with this than handing total control, and in effect a promotion, to Maccagnan. 

If there’s an opportunity to whinge and moan about something I guess....

12 minutes ago, slats said:

Hopefully, the Jets land big enough game that the coach reports to the Johnsons and that Mac reports to the coach. 

"Hope."  A word that doesn't belong around the New York Jets.

This franchise is truly remarkable.  Christopher Johnson has managed to drain the last gasp hope I am hanging on to that Sam Darnold will attract a quality Head Coach, and finally get the Jets to a Super Bowl.

Instead... I hear the Jets will maintain the same sort of mangled, triangular, backstabbing power structure that just failed miserably.  Twice.

Unbelievable.

cant make this sh*t up

the funny but very sad thing is the only guy dumber than Mac probably in the jets offices are the Johnsons when it comes to football

If I was Mac I would have some pride and say you want me to run the team let me run the team....

23 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

This could be good. Might mean that Maccagnan isn't on solid footing. Could also mean that if someone like Harbaugh wants control of everything he's going to get it.

That is the best part about this. Means Macc doesn't get a 4 year extension.

11 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

A good HC can take the job and push Mac out if he does not improve

I would think there are fewer candidates who would would want to report to Mac - especially guys with experience

They'd rather report to a guy who has ZERO knowledge of football?  C'mon

All this is going to do is the same thing it's done with the last 2 hires, cause in fighting, and chaos.   Chris Johnson knows as much about football as he does about brain surgery.   

3 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

"Hope."  This franchise is truly remarkable.  Christopher Johnson has managed to drain the last gasp hope I am hanging on to that Sam Darnold will attract a quality Head Coach, and finally get the Jets to a Super Bowl.

Instead... I hear the Jets will maintain the same sort of mangled, triangular, backstabbing power structure that just failed miserably.  Unbelievable.

You really think being told the head coach would report to friggin' Maccagnan would come with greater appeal to the HC candidates?

This is simply the slightly lesser of two very horrific evils.

16 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

So you think theres a NFL team, anywhere where the owner isnt involved in the hiring of the teams HC?  He said hes going to work with Macc and Heimerdinger on the hire.  What would you expect and why?

Yeah, I’m not sure what the huge deal is with this.

At least you’ll have Macc and Heimerdinger bringing in a coach they feel they’re on the same page with.

Not having some consulting firm like Korn & Ferry or some dinosaur GM like Casserly/Wolf give their take.

1 minute ago, Bleedin Green said:

You really think being told the head coach would report to friggin' Maccagnan would come with greater appeal to the HC candidates?

This is simply the slightly lesser of two very horrific evils.

No, but at least put someone in charge. Chris Johnson being in charge is about as appealing as the measles.

7 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

He was asked at his presser and said all 3 would be involved together.

Manish reported it

HQbIpK-u_bigger.jpgManish MehtaVerified account @MMehtaNYDN
FollowFollow @MMehtaNYDN
More

Christopher Johnson said that GM Mike Maccagnan, VP of player personnel Brian Heimerdinger and he will be involved in the head coaching search.

I think that is a positive concerning Brian.

Just now, Untouchable said:

Yeah, I’m not sure what the huge deal is with this.

At least you’ll have Macc and Heimerdinger bringing in a coach they feel they’re on the same page with.

Not having some consulting firm like Korn & Ferry or some dinosaur GM like Casserly/Wolf force their suggestion on someone.

Exactly, he has to be involved, needs to feel comfortable enough to sign off on the hire and theyre investing big money in someone and control of a really expensive product.

The football reasons for a hire are on Heimerdinger and Macc.  Can never understand how fans dont get this

Archived