GaryM

Mike McCarthy 'warmed' to idea of coaching Jets

Interest is definitely mutual between Jets and former Packers coach

By Ralph Vacchiano | 3:12PM
  • Share:
  •  
  •  
  •  
Green Bay Packers head coach Mike McCarthy reacts after a 29-27 loss to the Los Angeles Rams at Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum. (Jake Roth/USA TODAY Sports) Green Bay Packers head coach Mike McCarthy reacts after a 29-27 loss to the Los Angeles Rams at Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum. (Jake Roth/USA TODAY Sports)

RalphPic_93z5jd5l.png Ralph Vacchiano | Facebook | Twitter | Archive

The Jets have been very interested in former Packers coach Mike McCarthy since the day he was fired by the Green Bay Packers. The one thing they didn't know, though, was how interested he was in them. 

Now it seems the interest is definitely mutual.

McCarthy has "warmed" to the idea of coaching the Jets, according to someone familiar with his thinking, and headed into his formal interview with team brass on Saturday with a serious interest in the job. For weeks, people who knew McCarthy thought he'd be more interested in the Arizona or Cleveland jobs, or would decide to sit out all of 2019 instead.

But apparently his thinking has changed. That doesn't mean he's guaranteed to take the Jets job, if offered. And an offer wouldn't likely come this weekend anyway, with the Jets' search expected to continue into next week.

It just means the 55-year-old McCarthy hasn't ruled it out, as some expected he might. Some around the NFL thought he might shy away from the New York spotlight after he at times appeared over-sensitive dealing with the media in small-market Green Bay. Others thought he'd consider the situations and the talent level in Arizona and Cleveland just better.

McCarthy will still interview for the Browns job next week after having to reschedule, but he reportedly turned down a request to interview with the Cardinals.

McCarthy still does appear to be the favorite in the Jets' search, based on his experience and stellar track record with the Packers, and his success with quarterback Aaron Rodgers which bodes well for how he might help develop Jets quarterback Sam Darnold. The Jets have already interviewed Chiefs offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy and former Miami Dolphins coach Adam Gase, and are scheduled to interview Cowboys defensive backs coach Kris Richard in Dallas on Sunday.

The Jets also requested permission to interview Buccaneers offensive coordinator Todd Monken, and have expressed an interest in interviewing former Colts and Lions coach Jim Caldwell. They requested permission to interview USC offensive coordinator Kliff Kingsbury and Iowa State head coach Matt Campbell, but Campbell said no and USC has reportedly blocked Kingsbury from interviewing with NFL teams.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that he would be the safest choice to be the next HC. A proven winner with a good track record. Just surround him with a good coaching staff, good FA signings and a competent draft and lets get to work.....

2 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

I guess I would be ok with McCarthy but dear god, can’t we ever find the next great coach first.  Like McKay, 

Why do you get extra points for McKay.  Who BTW has won nothing, so is far from great at this point

15 minutes ago, GaryM said:

I think that he would be the safest choice to be the next HC. A proven winner with a good track record. Just surround him with a good coaching staff, good FA signings and a competent draft and lets get to work.....

You sure are asking a lot.

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It’s “McVay”

“I’m so distraught that we can’t have nice things and it ruins all aspects of my life that little things like proper names just make the pain too much to bear... woe is me.”

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

I’m just saying there’s no coach “McKay.” It makes no sense. Did you mean Rich McKay, the old Bucs GM

Im saying I knew he meant McVay, he wants our version of that.  Thanks again.

I did used to like McKay.  Coach, what do you think of your teams execution, "Im all for it.

57 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Why do you get extra points for McKay.  Who BTW has won nothing, so is far from great at this point

You’re like the guy who wins the $1,000,000 Reader’s Digest sweepstakes and bitches that it doesn’t include a yearly subscription.

12 minutes ago, BigO said:

You’re like the guy who wins the $1,000,00 Reader’s Digest sweepstakes and bitches that it doesn’t include a yearly subscription.

Actually that makes no sense.  I'm not bitching, have no clue what youre talking about.

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Jet Nut’s favorite head coach was Bill Karcells

When do you start talking about, you know, football?  Sorry youre not getting the point and are just running your trolling routine into the ground.

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Actually that makes no sense.  I'm not bitching, have no clue what youre talking about.

You criticized McVay saying he hasn’t won sh*t. Are you bugging ?? He’s molded Goff, won back to back division titles and is 24-8 in 2  years. Named Coach of the Year for 2017 season and could easily win it again this year.  And there’s tons more to his resume.  If he were our coach, this board would be giddy as Ebernezer Scrooge on a Christmas morning. 

46 minutes ago, BigO said:

You criticized McVay saying he hasn’t won sh*t. Are you bugging ?? He’s molded Goff, won back to back division titles and is 24-8 in 2  years. Named Coach of the ZYrar for 2017 season and could easily win it again this year.  And there’s tons more to his resume.  If he were our coach, this board would be giddy as Ebernezer Scrooge on a Christmas morning. 

He's won nothing yet.  Do you get it?  Simple statement, what's your argument?  That he has?  Did I say I wouldn't take him?  Anything close to it?  

2 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

We have Darnold, cap space and a young team that can be easily molded into whatever the new coach envisions.

All of these coaching candidates will be interested.

Vacciano on SNY tonight said initially he didn't have interest because he was interested in a small market team, changed after he had his meeting.  

Archived