McVay got schooled!

Nixhead

4 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Goffs aresenal is using his legs, and even when Belichick played deep cover 2 press for some critical plays and the Red Sea opened up in front of Goff to run and get free yards and pick up a few firsts, he sat there and threw bad balls or got sacked

all day

9 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I can only do so much. 

In the preseason, I had Rams - Pats in the super bowl, and said that while the rams are the better team, Belichick will prevail. The past two weeks, I’ve been cautioning everyone who was picking the Rams (including two of my friends who put money on the Rams) that you never go against Belichick with a young QB, and definitely not with the likes of Goff. 

It all came to fruition last night. McVay called some good plays, but Goff didn’t execute. One of the few weapons in Goffs aresenal is using his legs, and even when Belichick played deep cover 2 press for some critical plays and the Red Sea opened up in front of Goff to run and get free yards and pick up a few firsts, he sat there and threw bad balls or got sacked. 

Watching Goff last night was as frustrated as I’ve felt in a very long time watching a non-Jets game. He single handedly lost the game, and cost that defense and Wade Phillips the championship they deserved.

I said the same thing to my wife. I said, Sam Darnold would have played better under the circumstances. When lineman push straight up the field, you adjust your blocking & run your QB right past them. McVay used absolutely NO misdirection plays, ZERO. Belichick played defense where the QB had to make some plays with his legs & Goff moved like he had cement in his shoes. Just terrible. Goff can't play without a running game, most QBs can't but Darnold did it for the entire 2nd half of the season. Darnold will be a better QB, wait & see if we can fix the Oline & get him some weapons.

23 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I’m kinda glad the Pats won, the McVay hype train was getting way out of hand.   Not having Cooper Kupp is a big loss for that offense though.  He’s a lot more valuable than people gave him credit for.  Not the same offense without him.  

Excellent point....Rams haven’t looked the same since he went down TBH. 

That coupled with the fact that Gurley was ineffective and the Rams are a heavy play action team is what lead to their demise 

9 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

Excellent point....Rams haven’t looked the same since he went down TBH. 

That coupled with the fact that Gurley was ineffective and the Rams are a heavy play action team is what lead to their demise 

When you shut down the run game of a team that relies on play action as much as the Rams do, it really blows up the game plan. The Pats stopped the run game without having to bring their safeties down, so they could stay in cover 2 and keep everything in front of them.  It was a brilliant game plan that was executed beautifully.   

8 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

When you shut down the run game of a team that relys on play action as much as the Rams do, it really blows up the game plan. The Pats stopped the run game without having to bring their safeties down, so they could stay in cover 2 and keep everything in front of them.  It was a brilliant game plan that was executed beautifully.   

Pats lucked out again not drawing the Saints with Kamara & Ingram. Belichick has never had an answer for the Saints offense when they don't play in Gillette. Not saying Pats lose, because Saints D not as good as Rams but that non call in New Orleans stamped the Pats 6th Super Bowl. You can't beat Belichick without a running game. 

5 hours ago, jamesr said:

Where was Gurley those two games too? Reminds me a lot of the Bills - big name QB and RB who came up small in the biggest games.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

they didn't use gurley properly.  but goff is being exposed.  he was nothing before mcvay and seemed overwhelmed.  i would rather have mayfield and darnold from a fortitude perspective.

screen pass looked available the whole game, why did it take until 7 mins left for them to even use it... 

thread title is on point...  he was schooled, but he will get better and will be around a long time... but man he was out of his league here... oh well...  

my take away is sam looked good and he didn't even play...

4 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Pats lucked out again not drawing the Saints with Kamara & Ingram. Belichick has never had an answer for the Saints offense when they don't play in Gillette. Not saying Pats lose, because Saints D not as good as Rams but that non call in New Orleans stamped the Pats 6th Super Bowl. You can't beat Belichick without a running game. 

Brees would have played better than Goff, no doubt.  

6 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

they didn't use gurley properly.  but goff is being exposed.  he was nothing before mcvay and seemed overwhelmed.  i would rather have mayfield and darnold from a fortitude perspective.

They used Gurley properly, it’s just that Belichick decided to take the Rams running game away and force Goff to beat them.   The moment was too big for Goff for sure, we’ll see how he responds, he’s still young.  

Before everyone jumps on the mcvay now sucks bandwagon let's remember that he took a team lead by Jared Goff to the super bowl. Goff is just not good. Sure he can put up big numbers when guys are flying around wide open but when that doesn't happen is lights out.

It also didn't help that Todd gurley appeared to implode late in the year due to injuries and ac crisis of confidence 

22 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

They used Gurley properly, it’s just that Belichick decided to take the Rams running game away and force Goff to beat them.   The moment was too big for Goff for sure, we’ll see how he responds, he’s still young.  

i'm left wondering how much of goff's success is due to the HC and the talent around him that made things easier for him.  kupp went down and he wasn't the same.  i thought gurley should have been used more lined up at wr to give the rams more room to run.

4 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

When you shut down the run game of a team that relies on play action as much as the Rams do, it really blows up the game plan. The Pats stopped the run game without having to bring their safeties down, so they could stay in cover 2 and keep everything in front of them.  It was a brilliant game plan that was executed beautifully.   

took away the run game, then subsequently shut down their backside roll out game.  They were so masterfully disciplined in this game it was absurd.  Give the rams Defense credit too, Wade philips disguised coverages beautifully. But the way they keep edleman off the line and motion him in to run his routes its almost impossible to get a jam on him, and the fact that he just runs choice routes most of the time its just money. 

12 hours ago, NamathToCaster said:

McVay admitted he was out coached.  Also, Edleman does it again.  There was no answer for him.  He is unstoppable.

That's what people used to say about Welker even when it was obvious they wouldn't moss a beat with Edelman 

22 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Both teams seemed to abandon the run early. With all due respect to all who think McVay was "Schooled" the difference in this game was one drive and their were 2 diving catches on that drive that made the difference in this game. Both teams were basically one big play away from winning this game Gronk and Brady made that play and the Rams offense did not, they came close a few times but that's how it goes sometimes.

Also when it comes to Brady and Edelman I think they both work off reads pre and post snap and know each other so well they make it work. I do not believe Edelman works off set routes he just runs his routes based off what the Defense gives him because he always runs away from double teams and you just can't do that every single time with set routes. Its extremely hard to cover a guy that quick and its turning into pitch and catch with him and Brady so if Bradys first option is not open Edelman always is. The Slot guy ahs always been the Key to the Patriots offense. Edelman now, Welker before him. 

Cooks essentially dropped 2 TD passes.  They were tough but he is not.  Cannot stand him.

Archived