Justin Houston released by Chiefs

Patriot Killa

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Or you draft one.  Need to do their homework on this guy.  He's more than good if his health checks out. If his health is good, then it makes good sense.

The Jets are trying to fill the hole in FA. Doesn’t look like they want to be in the position where they have to take one in April.

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

And I say yes. 

Sign him. Not every 30 year old is a bad signing. He had 9 sacks last year on limited play. He’s capable of playing up to standards for 2-3 more years at the least.

With virtually every other high end pass rusher tagged we have to go with 2nd tier guys of this FA group like Houston, Fowler, etc. 

6 minutes ago, section314 said:

Why?

Dante Fowler has a bad character, looked average on a line with Suh and Donald and should probably stay a 4-3 DE. I like Houston more, he’s a guy who can add some experience and stability to a LBers group that seriously lacks, he’s a 3-4 OLB lifer, he can still produce and getting the best out of Houston at this stage is still getting around 10-12 sacks. I’ll take 9 for that matter.(which is what he tallied this year on 12 games. He had 9.5 the year before last too.)

50 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

He would be great if healthy. " IF HEALTHY"... Didn't play a full season three of the last four years.  This past  year missed four games.  2016 season played only five games.  2015, only 11 games played. In four of his eight seasons in the league, he missed significant time, four games or more. A lot of money dedicated to a player 30 years of age who's missed 1/4 of the games played during his career.  Proceed with caution.

Houston played 12 games last year its not like he was decimated by injuries 

26 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Dante Fowler has a bad character, looked average on a line with Suh and Donald and should probably stay a 4-3 DE. I like Houston more, he’s a guy who can add some experience and stability to a LBers group that seriously lacks, he’s a 3-4 OLB lifer, he can still produce and getting the best out of Houston at this stage is still getting around 10-12 sacks. I’ll take 9 for that matter.(which is what he tallied this year on 12 games. He had 9.5 the year before last too.)

Agree.  Houston is older but actually less risky.  I’d take 2-3 good years from Houston over potentially nothing from Fowler

42 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Or you draft one.  Need to do their homework on this guy.  He's more than good if his health checks out. If his health is good, then it makes good sense.

Jets need to do BOTH. We have zero pass rush

Sign Justin Houston and draft Allen or Sweat

2 hours ago, Lith said:

I agree.  I would rather bring ina  guy like Houston who should still have another good two to three years left than Fowler.  With Lawrence, Clark and Clowney all getting tagged, Houston would be nice add.

And as an added bonus, since he was released, he will not count against potential comp picks next season.

Do the comp picks matter for the Jets this year? I can't imagine any way the Jets get out of this offseason with $100M in cap space and very few noteworthy FA's and gain comp picks.

Absolutely will have an impact for some teams though. Houston feels like he'll end up a Raven or a Patriot to replace Smith/Flowers.

4 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Jets need to do BOTH. We have zero pass rush

Sign Justin Houston and draft Allen or Sweat

If he checks out I'd be open to Houston, Don't want Fowler,  Would understand drafting Allen, prefer Quinnen Williams, and think Sweat would be a tremendous reach at  #3.  You don't mention Bosa.  why?  Also my first preference is still to trade down, followed by Q Williams.

2 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

If he checks out I'd be open to Houston, Don't want Fowler,  Would understand drafting Allen, prefer Quinnen Williams, and think Sweat would be a tremendous reach at  #3.  You don't mention Bosa.  why?  Also my first preference is still to trade down, followed by Q Williams.

I doubt Bosa falls to us.  Sweat is not a reach at 3 22 sacks last two years in the SEC 

9 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

I doubt Bosa falls to us.  Sweat is not a reach at 3 22 sacks last two years in the SEC 

One trick pony, workout warrior, limited, take your pick. Scouting profiles cite many of those sacks attributed to coverage or quarterback drop error.  Don't know how accurate that is, but that's what it said.  Not minimizing his athleticism or potential, just not my cup of tea at the #3 pick.  Did you fall in love at the combine, Phil??  Not in the same league as Bosa, Williams and most likely Josh Allen.  Since that's three players right there, and barring a trade we pick third, he's a no go.  If we traded back to 6 or 7 or even 10 or 11, then he'd warrant major consideration.

11 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

One trick pony, workout warrior, limited, take your pick. Scouting profiles cite many of those sacks attributed to coverage or quarterback drop error.  Don't know how accurate that is, but that's what it said.  Not minimizing his athleticism or potential, just not my cup of tea at the #3 pick.  Did you fall in love at the combine, Phil??  Not in the same league as Bosa, Williams and most likely Josh Allen.  Since that's three players right there, and barring a trade we pick third, he's a no go.  If we traded back to 6 or 7 or even 10 or 11, then he'd warrant major consideration.

He’s not a workout warrior he has multiple moves

13 hours ago, Philc1 said:

He’s not a workout warrior he has multiple moves

If he could somehow work his way up to the #3 overall pick that would be his most effective move,  by far. Not that it means anything, for he is a schmuck, but  "KIngmaker" Casserly  has him going at #18.  You know for a station called the NFL Network, they are surprisingly lame with breaking news, and their coverage teams, and commentators leave a lot to be desired.

3 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Give him Mccown money. $12 mill per year for 2 years. 18 guaranteed.

ANNND Sign Dante Fowler Jr too at the same price for 3-4 years.

And draft bpa whoever it is

This. Sign Houston and another free agent pass rusher.

2 hours ago, Lith said:

McClendon, Powell, Carpenter, H Anderson.  Its a long shot with the number of holes we have to fill and the amount of cap space; but if we lose more than we sign, maybe we can grab an extra pick.

Right. Carpenter is a good one. He may sign a decent deal somewhere.  I wonder what the deal will be with Anderson. I'd like to see him back, but whatevs.  This press about us stating in the 3-4 could very well be a smoke screen. If we actually were going to do that, I would think Anderson would be part of the solution. He's a solid player and he's already here.  

I hope we can pull of having a major shopping spree and still net a comp pick or two.  The Pats in particular have done a masterful job with that. So did Idzik. The problem was he had no idea how to replace all those guys. 12 friggin picks and we come away with Enunwa, but I digress.  Exciting times man. Much to discuss.  NY JETS- Offseason champions more than any other team in the NFL! We should create an offseason trophy! The Tanny! 

5 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Something to chew on 

This is a bad report, his cap number is only $21M for the Chiefs. His cap number for another team would be $15.2M and $17M the next 2 years. The Chiefs would need to eat the signing bonus.

I'd absolutely give up a late round pick for him.

5 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Something to chew on 

This is a bad report, his cap number is only $21M for the Chiefs. His cap number for another team would be $15.2M and $17M the next 2 years. The Chiefs would need to eat the signing bonus.

I'd absolutely give up a late round pick for him.

6 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

The Jets are trying to fill the hole in FA. Doesn’t look like they want to be in the position where they have to take one in April.

Based on what?  A dream?  No one knows what theyre thinking yet. 

Houston makes the team better.  Pair him with a draft pick and go. 

Expensive, but hit is limited.  He comes off before Darnold gets paid.  

Mac still needs to be able to draft better.  This year and next year are key.  

13 hours ago, Rolloffjet said:

Give me donta Fowler way younger and does not have a injury history. Houston is go but 30 yrs old. I’ll take a pass on him unless it’s like 7-8 mil short term and if we do still get Fowler 

I never want to sign guys that don't go every play.  Of the two, Houston would be preferable-even as a situational pass rusher.

Archived