Mini Camp Thread

IndianaJet

2 hours ago, JiF said:

You guys realize this is 3 day voluntary mini-camp that only teams with new Head Coaches are allowed, they're literally running zero of the playbook just doing positional drills and they only practice for 1 hour, right?  

And you do realize the Bell has been participating in every single offseason program other than these 3 days, and he's been on location since April 8th, right?  

lmfao

There is literally no reason for him to be out there in April.  April.  For an hour a day.

Bell is going to be a beast for the Jets.  

Not offering a take, just making a point.

One that, incidentally, you kind of just proved.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

So you're already whining about Bell or SOJFs or real fans? Either way, it's good to know your whining level is in mid-season form in April. 

No, basically, I'm just baiting/mocking you.

It worked.

2 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

Hey Leo and Company, YOUR 4 YEAR VACATION IS OVER! Time to go to work,.

HELL YES!! Sorry about the caps but that fired me up after watching the Cigar store statue on the sidelines these last seasons. Can't wait to see Williams get these guys motivated and playing.

42 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Considering the PR beating Bell has taken over the last year, you’d think someone would tell him to at least act like a good soldier, especially for the one and only team that felt like paying you to play for them. This puts Gase in a bad spot, too. First day on the job and these are the questions he has to answer.

Stop whining.

2 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

So you're already whining about Bell or SOJFs or real fans? Either way, it's good to know your whining level is in mid-season form in April. 

There is no offseason for whining Jets fans.  There's always something, real or imagined to whine about.  Uniforms, logos, extra OTAs, fired coaches, pro bowl S's.....

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

The last time Leveon Bell deigned to play football, he averaged 4.0 yards per carry and 7.7 yards per reception. 

Are you referring to the season that he rushed for 1300 hundred yards and added 85 receptions 700 yards with 11 total TD's and his team went 13-3?  It was a while ago, so I get them confused. 

2 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

And why the f*ck is that whining?

Because if it has nothing to do with the season, preparations, etc, if he's been there all offseason, if he has a prior commitment, anything and ultimately means nothing, it's really nothing more than whining.  

It's not a big deal.  

Just now, Jet Nut said:

There is no offseason for whining Jets fans.  There's always something, real or imagined to whine about.  Uniforms, logos, extra OTAs, fired coaches, pro bowl S's.....

Honest question.

Given how meaningless OTAs are and all the other caveats, if you're a Jet fan and you're mildly disappointed in Bells absence (not losing your mind, not screaming, not saying he sucks or won't be good or blahblahblah), does that really count as "whining"?

I'm disappointed.  I would prefer if he were there.  I want all my toys there.  

How is that whining? 

5 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Longer vid. No commentary. Pretty nice to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I love the fact that the very first thing that I see are players trying to strip the ball. Greg Williams is seriously about those turnovers. The Browns were 2nd in the league in overall takeaways last year and #1 in forced fumbles. 

Thats a good sign. 

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Is it lame to point out that it’s a team sport and it’d be nice if the high priced veteran players set the tone for the season by showing up to a T-shirt and shorts “practice” 

Gase wouldn’t be running the practice if it were a waste of time. 

Theres no real way of defending no showing these other than pointing out its voluntary which only perpetual malcontents seem to take advantage of.

58 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Considering the PR beating Bell has taken over the last year, you’d think someone would tell him to at least act like a good soldier, especially for the one and only team that felt like paying you to play for them. This puts Gase in a bad spot, too. First day on the job and these are the questions he has to answer.

Gase seems super concerned that Bell wasnt there for lay up lines today.

"I mean, it's voluntary," Gase said. "That's the rules. ... It’s not one of those things where we’re going to spend a ton of time asking questions. When the guys show up, we’re going to try to help them get better." 

He also made it clear that he's not worried about the physical readiness of the 27-year-old Bell, who played five seasons in Pittsburgh before sitting out last year because of a contract dispute. 

"He has a pretty good training regimen that he goes through," Gase said of Bell. "And I don’t even remember the last time he had an offseason, it’s been a few years to where he was going through this kind of stuff. So he knows how to get his body ready for going through training camp and the regular season. So he’s been doing this for a minute."

I love the fact that the very first thing that I see are players trying to strip the ball. Greg Williams is seriously about those turnovers. The Browns were 2nd in the league in overall takeaways last year and #1 in forced fumbles. 
Thats a good sign. 

Indeed. I actually noticed that too. It’s really hood to see williams, Gase and some of the coordinators out there barking out directions. I think I saw / heard JEFFERSON WR coach too.

There is a different energy in addition to the focus on certain aspects of the game like turnovers.
I love it!

10 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Honest question.

Given how meaningless OTAs are and all the other caveats, if you're a Jet fan and you're mildly disappointed in Bells absence (not losing your mind, not screaming, not saying he sucks or won't be good or blahblahblah), does that really count as "whining"?

How is that whining? 

When a simple OTA, during an offseason where the player has been to every voluntary team event to this point isn't there I'll assume there's good reason.  Given that he's not missing anything of importance I'm not worried that he not there.  

Let's admit the truth here, those that are getting twisted just wanted to see him in a jersey and shorts running around.  No real reason, just to feel good about a toy.  As a football exercise there's no reason to be disappointed.  So all the complaints that are posed as a football issue really start sounding like whining, even if they're not. 

16 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Thats a good sign. 

Exactly, was going to post the same thing.  Leo etc going for the strip is good to see.  

I know it's a stupid OTA but it looks more intense and precise than anything we saw in the Bowles years.  

Honest question.
How is that whining? 

I’m
Disappointed he’s not there as well buddy. Don’t sweat it. I’d love to see him in the helmet catching passes from darnold.
I have zero desire to try and spin that disappointment into a narrative about him being a bad influence or disinterested or anything but I’m with ya.
I’d rather he was there.... just because i want him there.

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

When a simple OTA, during an offseason where the player has been to every voluntary team event to this point isn't there I'll assume there's good reason.  Given that he's not missing anything of importance I'm not worried that he not there.  

Let's admit the truth here, those that are getting twisted just wanted to see him in a jersey and shorts running around.  No real reason, just to feel good about a toy.  As a football exercise there's no reason to be disappointed.  So all the complaints that are posed as a football issue really start sounding like whining, even if they're not. 

I don't think I complained about it from a football standpoint.

It doesn't matter from a football standpoint.

I don't appreciate being called a whiner because I'm mildly disappointed--not twisted--that not every single player isn't at OTAs. 

2 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

I’m
Disappointed he’s not there as well buddy. Don’t sweat it. I’d love to see him in the helmet catching passes from darnold.
I have zero desire to try and spin that disappointment into a narrative about him being a bad influence or disinterested or anything but I’m with ya.
I’d rather he was there.... just because i want him there.

And I'm not trying to twist it into him being a bad influence.

I'm a fan.  A "homer" if you will.  I want all my players there--even if it's for roasting marshmallows around an open campfire fire and singing show tunes at night--and it's mildly disappointing that he's not there.

But I guess that's "whining".

10 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Exactly, was going to post the same thing.  Leo etc going for the strip is good to see.  

I know it's a stupid OTA but it looks more intense and precise than anything we saw in the Bowles years.  

Hell no it's not just a stupid OTA. This is where you prepare for the Superbowl. You just have to have that mindset. 

I remember listening to old interviews from Ed Reed and Ray Lewis talking about how they not only practiced stripping the ball, but they wanted to score on every turnover. That starts all the way back during mini camp/OTA's. You got to set that tone early so by the time the roster is finalized, you got a core of players who understand the goal. Alot of what has been missing from the Jets is that non-nonsense coaching staff and no-nonsense players. 

Greg Williams is a dog like that. I hope Gase is similar on the offensive side of the ball. There's been alot of debating back and forth this offseason about this draft, and no matter what direction they go, no matter what, Macc has to bring in some no-nonsense guys. 

Talking about changing the culture never changes the culture. You have to establish a culture and remove those who dont fit in it. I hope Gase and Williams establish this culture, because honestly, it really does start with the coaching staff. 

40 minutes ago, JiF said:

Gase seems super concerned that Bell wasnt there for lay up lines today.

"I mean, it's voluntary," Gase said. "That's the rules. ... It’s not one of those things where we’re going to spend a ton of time asking questions. When the guys show up, we’re going to try to help them get better." 

He also made it clear that he's not worried about the physical readiness of the 27-year-old Bell, who played five seasons in Pittsburgh before sitting out last year because of a contract dispute. 

"He has a pretty good training regimen that he goes through," Gase said of Bell. "And I don’t even remember the last time he had an offseason, it’s been a few years to where he was going through this kind of stuff. So he knows how to get his body ready for going through training camp and the regular season. So he’s been doing this for a minute."

Nothing matters

Archived