Mini Camp Thread

IndianaJet

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’m just trying to get JiF to scream at me. I think Bell is great and I’m still shocked he signed here, even if it’s just for two years.

Going under the assumptions that high volume free agency is on average going to tend to get you to 8-8 and capped out and that Bell is going to play as hard as the team is good I think the commitment we made actually has a positive expectation. Plus a little with the additional assumption that if things go sideways it's preferable to bottom all the way out.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Going under the assumptions that high volume free agency is on average going to tend to get you to 8-8 and capped out and that Bell is going to play as hard as the team is good I think the commitment we made actually has a positive expectation. Plus a little with the additional assumption that if things go sideways it's preferable to bottom all the way out.

The hidden plus here is that Gase will build the offense around a back in decline who, upon getting injured, will almost single-handedly tank the season for us.

4 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Bells in the studio droppin tasty rhymes. Dont b hatin 

LOL

Yeah that's what I'm just a bit worried about.  If we're getting the 2017 Bell, I'm all in.  Money well spent.

If the 2019 version is, "I'm a rap artist, football is my second job" not so much

7 hours ago, JiF said:

You guys realize this is 3 day voluntary mini-camp that only teams with new Head Coaches are allowed, they're literally running zero of the playbook just doing positional drills and they only practice for 1 hour, right?  

And you do realize the Bell has been participating in every single offseason program other than these 3 days, and he's been on location since April 8th, right?  

lmfao

There is literally no reason for him to be out there in April.  April.  For an hour a day.

Bell is going to be a beast for the Jets.  

Your correct that they only spend one hour on the field, and that's actually only done for the media, and fans

I know you realize the other 5 or 6 hours of the day are spend in meetings, where the playbook is introduced to them, and their roles are explained to them.  Makes it a lot easier for the player to study the playbook.  They can only talk to coaches at the OTA's.  That's the reason they give new HC's an extra mini-camp.  Yeah there was a reason for him to be there.

I'm not freaking out about his absence, but I'll bet Gase isn't at all happy.  From what I've seen of Gase down here in Miami he has low tolerance for players, or owners, LOL who don't buy into his philosophy.

Certainly not an end of times situation, but it would have been real nice for everyone not named Bell, if he was here.

We'll see how it plays out

1 hour ago, SMC said:

I get the criticism of Bell, but Jets have done well in the past with older RBs such as Martin and Tomlinson. The contract is not prohibitive in later yrs to cut him once he declines.

Agreed.  This is fine.  It's not a signing I would have made, but it won't be a disaster.  But, the fact that it won't be a disaster is also why some of these guys who unhinge their jaws like an anaconda no matter what the Jets do, should have some pause.  We got Bell for a reasonable price because we were the only buyer.  Or, did the guy who passed on a 14M season take a discount to play for the New York Jets.

30 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Your correct that they only spend one hour on the field, and that's actually only done for the media, and fans

I know you realize the other 5 or 6 hours of the day are spend in meetings, where the playbook is introduced to them, and their roles are explained to them.  Makes it a lot easier for the player to study the playbook.  They can only talk to coaches at the OTA's.  That's the reason they give new HC's an extra mini-camp.  Yeah there was a reason for him to be there.

I'm not freaking out about his absence, but I'll bet Gase isn't at all happy.  From what I've seen of Gase down here in Miami he has low tolerance for players, or owners, LOL who don't buy into his philosophy.

Certainly not an end of times situation, but it would have been real nice for everyone not named Bell, if he was here.

We'll see how it plays out

Leveon bell is the exact type of player that gase wanted no part of in miami.  Which leads me to believe mac is making the decision and not taking much input from his hc.

5 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Leveon bell is the exact type of player that gase wanted no part of in miami.  Which leads me to believe mac is making the decision and not taking much input from his hc.

Or, after a failed head coaching stint, he realized he probably needs those kind of players

1 hour ago, GREENBEAN said:

I dig em

They look especially great with the white jerseys.  I'm really gonna love our road unis this year.

It's still kind of annoying that the green jerseys are a different color green than the helmets, though.  I'm looking forward to seeing how they look in a game.

9 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Bell not showing up is completely disappointing.

I mean, seriously? 

Bell not showing up could very well have been discussed by both him and the team. Why should we be pointing fingers at sh*t we know nothing about ?

I hope when Gase is asked about this , and he will be, he says this is an internal matter and the NEW NY Jets don't discuss internal matters with the damn media.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

The hidden plus here is that Gase will build the offense around a back in decline who, upon getting injured, will almost single-handedly tank the season for us.

In Decline ? Arguably the best back in Football with a year of rest is in decline at 27 years old ? Really ??

16 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Bell not showing up could very well have been discussed by both him and the team. Why should we be pointing fingers at sh*t we know nothing about ?

Being disappointed is not pointing fingers and it is irrelevant to whether it was agreed to or not. 

16 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

I hope when Gase is asked about this , and he will be, he says this is an internal matter and the NEW NY Jets don't discuss internal matters with the damn media.

Would be really special if he never had to have been asked to give that non-answer. Wasn’t necessary. 

42 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

He already did a presser. His answer on bell was simply that it’s voluntary, and bell knows how to get himself into shape. Then it moved right along

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Yes, that’s the one. When he went over 100 four times and was held under 50 yards four times. No worries, though. Backs get more productive after they turn 27. 

Great Job TOm, loved the Jamal Adams sucks movement, see that you're busy at work developing the LeVeon Bell sucks movement.

How long before the Sam Darnold sucks movement starts??  Keep me posted.

4 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Great Job TOm, loved the Jamal Adams sucks movement, see that you're busy at work developing the LeVeon Bell sucks movement.

How long before the Sam Darnold sucks movement starts??  Keep me posted.

They look especially great with the white jerseys.  I'm really gonna love our road unis this year.
It's still kind of annoying that the green jerseys are a different color green than the helmets, though.  I'm looking forward to seeing how they look in a game.

They were like that in the 80’s abd 90’s too. No biggie.

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/3884750/GettyImages-242391.0-Al_Bello__All.0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

10 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I'd bet you can't find a single HC in the NFL who wouldn't want a RB exactly like Bell who can run the ball like Bell and catch the ball like Bell.  

He held out for his money and because he wouldn't let the Steelers run him into the ground and then dump him.

Get over it, he hasn't been the problem you continue to try and make the case for.   

Here's the script a head coach reads from when one of their star player doesn't report to a voluntary mini camp:

1. It’s voluntary
2. I knew about it, he’s with his family
3. He’s working out at his home city and is in great shape
4. I’m not concerned about his ability to keep himself in good shape.
5. I’m confident he’ll be ready to go and in great shape when mandatory workouts begin.

Not going to lie. I'm not happy with Bell. He just got a big contract from the Jets, it's his first season with the Jets, and we have a young quarterback entering his 2nd season. I know it's voluntary, but to me this was mandatory for a professional athlete trying to gel with his new team and young quarterback.

1 hour ago, playtowinthegame said:

Here's the script a head coach reads from when one of their star player doesn't report to a voluntary mini camp:

1. It’s voluntary
5. I’m confident he’ll be ready to go and in great shape when mandatory workouts begin.

Not going to lie. I'm not happy with Bell. He just got a big contract from the Jets, it's his first season with the Jets, and we have a young quarterback entering his 2nd season. I know it's voluntary, but to me this was mandatory for a professional athlete trying to gel with his new team and young quarterback.

Perfectly reasonable take. 

Prepare to be called a whiner. 

1 hour ago, playtowinthegame said:

1. It’s voluntary

Gase mentions in his interview on the first day that any player who is not here can have any information sent to them "on there tablets". So any install that is being practiced Bell has access to if he needs it. 

He didn't show up to any Steeler's voluntary workouts and him and Big Ben did just fine.

I really think this idea that the players need to have this great relationship is a little over blown. Sure don't get me wrong I would love for Bell and Darnold to be best friends and him be at his rap concerts lol.  I think at this level, players just appreciate it if you can help the team win, and Bell will defiantly help are win total increase from last year.  

48 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Gotta admit - as somebody that was iffy on the helmet, they look awesome.

I wouldn't say "awesome" but definitely better than I thought. Then again, I loved the old design and initially hated the new logo when released. I like the new shade of green. Hopefully it doesn't blend in too well with the turf color.

Archived