Albert Breer suggests Jets may bend on the price for a trade down

Jetsbb

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Lith said:

This entire discussion is based on Breer's speculation.  He is not referring to any source within the Jets organization that has indicated a willingness to bend.  Just a writer's opinion.  I think I will wait to see what plays out tonight before getting myself all bent out of shape over what we might or might not accept in a trade down that may or may not happen.

Definitely just a media hack rumor...

But the fact that Mac is incompetent and wants to trade down brings this opinion to life

13 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Siemian is pretty much the same sh.t at 10% the cost

If you say so. I'd rather have a veteran like Keenum around Darnold than a guy who will likely be out of the league in a year. But hey, he'll only cost $1,000,0000 versus Keenum costing $3,500,000. 

2 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Mac has been negotiating through the media the entire offseason to trade back. It almost feels like he's begging at this point. Seems weak as F and smells ripe for losing value in a trade. Hopefully I'm just being a negative nancy and I'm wrong.

He has?

Just now, playtowinthegame said:

If you say so. I'd rather have a veteran like Keenum around Darnold than a guy who will likely be out of the league in a year. But hey, he'll only cost $1,000,0000 versus Keenum costing $6,500,000. 

Keenum is not an upgrade 

Just now, playtowinthegame said:

If you say so. I'd rather have a veteran like Keenum around Darnold than a guy who will likely be out of the league in a year. But hey, he'll only cost $1,000,0000 versus Keenum costing $6,500,000. 

Dude, Case Keenum sucks. 

But even if he didn't, the Redskins signed him to be their starter this year, regardless of what they do in the draft. 

They aren't gonna use him as a throw in on a trade to grab the rookie they want him to mentor. 

7 minutes ago, Lith said:

Agreed.  I have no idea if a trade will happen or not.  I hope it does, but I have no idea.  We don't know how much Wasington is willing to give up.  A lot depends on the validity of the reprots that Oakland is interested in Haskins.  Does Snyder pull the trigger on a deal to 3 to jump the Raiders, or does he think the Riader interst in Haskins is BS, in which case he waits it out.  And risks losing his guy.  If I am Snyder, and I really believe Haskins is the guy to lead my team, I am not risking losing him.  Which could also mean a trade up to 2.

A lot of variables none of us know.  First 30 - 45 minutes of the draft tonight will be fascinating.  I can't remember a draft that had this much uncertainty on draft day.  Should be fun.

all this late talk about Haskins and the QBs reminds me of the year the Giants were going to take Ryan Nassib and he went like 4 rounds later 

Or like the Geno Smith year everyone had him as like a mid first round pick 

these Qbs aren't good enough, they weren't good enough when they scouted the class a year in advance and Kyler Murray isn't Cam Newton 

Just now, Klecko73isGod said:

Dude, Case Keenum sucks. 

But even if he didn't, the Redskins signed him to be their starter this year, regardless of what they do in the draft. 

They aren't gonna use him as a throw in on a trade to grab the rookie they want him to mentor. 

So on one hand he sucks, but on the other hand he's good enough to mentor. Which is it? 

Just now, bitonti said:

all this late talk about Haskins and the QBs reminds me of the year the Giants were going to take Ryan Nassib and he went like 4 rounds later 

Or like the Geno Smith year everyone had him as like a mid first round pick 

these Qbs aren't good enough, they weren't good enough when they scouted the class a year in advance and Kyler Murray isn't Cam Newton 

running qbs get dinged up sooner or later - cam's shoulder is still healing.

16 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Mac got boned last year in the trade up

by the Harvard chart, the Jimmy Johnson chart, the Hank Hill Strickland Propane chart, he got bent over to go up 3 spots

he didn't get value he overpaid. It worked out but it wasn't some sort of steal

Nonsense. He got Darnold and Darnold is worth it. Period, end of sentence. No, maybe it was't a 'steal' but to say that was a bad trade is asinine. To say he is bad at making trades and use the Darnold trade as an example is ridiculous. 

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

I have thought this was a likely scenario for a long time. Nobody really wants to trade up too badly and the Jets may put a discount on the number 3 pick in order to pull someone up the board and get out of that spot.

Wouldn’t be surprised if it was something like the Redskins 15th pick, 46th pick (2nd round) and a 2nd rounder next year. 

I can't see the Jets taking that little, if only because of the inevitable "We gave up more to move from 6 to 3 than we got from the Redskins for them to move from 15 to 3"

They're not going to take less than 3 second round picks to swap with the Redskins, if only because of that reality, so I'm comfortable predicting a deal with Washington doesn't get done unless they include their 2020 first.

Also, word out of Washington is that Dan Snyder has "taken over" the first round of the draft with an eye to moving up for a QB; the last time he was in charge and made that move he dealt 3 firsts and a second to move up for RGIII (and that was a smaller move up).  Doesn't mean he'll deal 3 #1s again, but I wouldn't bet on him having the backbone to insist on a rock bottom price and risk losing his guy to the Raiders

1 hour ago, SR24 said:

Any trade with the Redskins that doesn't bring back Brandon Scherff is a failure. I want Scherff #15 #46 and a 2020 1st. I'll add in our later 3rd if need be

Scherff is in his 5th year option.  I wasn't aware that Washington didn't want to re-sign him.  If that's the case, then why did they pay him on the option?  I think they love the guy.  With a new deal, they can reduce any immediate cap hit via bonus.  Do you have any links that speaks to the issue?  

1 minute ago, Doggin94it said:

I can't see the Jets taking that little, if only because of the inevitable "We gave up more to move from 6 to 3 than we got from the Redskins for them to move from 15 to 3"

They're not going to take less than 3 second round picks to swap with the Redskins, if only because of that reality, so I'm comfortable predicting a deal with Washington doesn't get done unless they include their 2020 first.

Also, word out of Washington is that Dan Snyder has "taken over" the first round of the draft with an eye to moving up for a QB; the last time he was in charge and made that move he dealt 3 firsts and a second to move up for RGIII (and that was a smaller move up).  Doesn't mean he'll deal 3 #1s again, but I wouldn't bet on him having the backbone to insist on a rock bottom price and risk losing his guy to the Raiders

DOGGIN!!!!

1 minute ago, PepPep said:

Nonsense. He got Darnold and Darnold is worth it. Period, end of sentence. No, maybe it was't a 'steal' but to say that was a bad trade is asinine. To say he is bad at making trades and use the Darnold trade as an example is ridiculous. 

Why can't we use Darnold trade as an example. It's the exact same 3 pick.

Even the monkeys employed by the Post can figure out what a 3 pick is worth based on the 3 pick they bought last year. 

Unless we are agreeing this year QB sucks at the top end and this entire discussion is moot.  

Don't be surprised if the what was assumed to be the case all along with the Cardinals taking a QB with the first pick , does not materialize. I believe this to be what's going to transpire. With this result, Murry and Haskins will be sitting at #3 - and with that in mind, there will be a flurry of phone calls from many teams, on of which, the Bengals, I see a very realistic scenario with a serious proposal.

1 hour ago, SR24 said:

Any trade with the Redskins that doesn't bring back Brandon Scherff is a failure. I want Scherff #15 #46 and a 2020 1st. I'll add in our later 3rd if need be

I’d take that in a trade down

Snyder might be crazy enuff 

5 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Scherff is in his 5th year option.  I wasn't aware that Washington didn't want to re-sign him.  If that's the case, then why did they pay him on the option?  I think they love the guy.  With a new deal, they can reduce any immediate cap hit via bonus.  Do you have any links that speaks to the issue?  

They do like him as he is a solid RG. If we’re going to “bend” on compensation then they can keep a few picks and send us Scherff. No reason not to ask for the guy in a trade to come from 15 all the way to 3 

Archived