Albert Breer suggests Jets may bend on the price for a trade down

Jetsbb

I think many of you guys are over valuing our pick. Last year there were four quarterbacks selected in the top 10. This year there are four quarterbacks predicted to go in the first two rounds. The value completely changes when you don't have Donald, Rosen, Mayfield, and Allen predicted to go in the top five. I agree and hopefully we get a haul, however my expectations are the trade down in this draft we will have to take less it's just a fact. If you want to take Williams or Bosa and three or four projects then good luck with that. I don't see how that fills holes what contributes to us winning by taking one starter. If we move down and get four extra picks in this draft, we can turn that into three starters plus an extra pick next year.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/04/25/mock-draft-trades-jets-redskins-dwayne-haskins

3. *PROJECTED TRADE* Washington Redskins (via the New York Jets) select Dwayne Haskins, QB, Ohio State

From Rick Murphy (@rickm127): #Redskins draft a quarterback in the first round?

Rick, I think so, and I’m hearing that Haskins is the guy that Washington ownership and others in the organization want. This would be a massive swing up the board, but I think the Jets may be willing to bend a bit on the price in an effort to recoup what they lost in the trade up for Sam Darnold last year and accumulate some picks. Why would Washington feel the need to make this kind of move up? As I see it, on draft day, perception is as important as reality. Perception holds now, strongly in some corners, that the Raiders are considering Haskins at No. 4. Whether they are or not, I don’t know. I do know that it’s helping the Jets.

you know WHATEVER happens, everyone in the media will destroy the Jets for what they do, and everyone on these forums will complain about it....AAAND they will blame it on the new uniforms!

I could care less about the perception of the draft...If Washington or any other team wants to jump up to get their guy they are gonna have to pay to play...why let them off the hook? Because you’re that desperate to pick some marginal offensive talent in the middle of the 1st? 

6 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

I think many of you guys are over valuing our pick. Last year there were four quarterbacks selected in the top 10. This year there are four quarterbacks predicted to go in the first two rounds. The value completely changes when you don't have Donald, Rosen, Mayfield, and Allen predicted to go in the top five. I agree and hopefully we get a haul, however my expectations are the trade down in this draft we will have to take less it's just a fact. If you want to take Williams or Bosa and three or four projects then good luck with that. I don't see how that fills holes what contributes to us winning by taking one starter. If we move down and get four extra picks in this draft, we can turn that into three starters plus an extra pick next year.

Actually, having fewer projected first round QBs should increase the value of our pick. 

Commodities tend to get more valuable the less readily available they are. 

2 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I’m sorry, but are we preemptively justifying for Macaggnan to take less in value to trade down from the #3 overall pick? Is that what’s happening here? Seriously? 

They’re willing to take less then we paid to get Darnold....

Incredible 

Any trade that has the Jets going to 15 from 3 has to include Washingtons first, second and third round picks this year and their 1st and 2nd next year. Anything less and I stay and make the pick. Hell I might just take Haskins and say Now what? No j/k but seriously it doesn't matter how much WE value the QB's in this draft it matters how much the Skins do. If they value whomever they want to pick at 3 then pay the price or move on.

12 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

F*ck that

If Washington truly believes that a guy like Haskins can be their franchise QB for the next 10+ years, then you make them pay the price. Otherwise, good luck with Case Keenum.

Again, you don’t trade down just for the sake of trading down.

I don't really care what the skins issues are. If I'm trading down is because i want the extra picks and don't think there is a huge gap between 3 and 15. 

Of course you don't get raped in the deal but if you take 5% less than you think you deserve it isn't a bad deal. 

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I don't really care what the skins issues are. If I'm trading down is because i want the extra picks and don't think there is a huge gap between 3 and 15. 

Of course you don't get raped in the deal but if you take 5% less than you think you deserve it isn't a bad deal. 

Yes it it. Especially if Dan Snyder and the Redskins are your trading partner. 

9 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I’m sorry, but are we preemptively justifying for Macaggnan to take less in value to trade down from the #3 overall pick? Is that what’s happening here? Seriously? 

It's like the reverse of those Jets fans that are preemptively bashing Macc for a trade that hasn't happened.

if a team wanted to get up to 3 they could have done it by now 

didn't the Jets trade up to 3 for Darnold in like March 

for all the talk and hype at this point if the Jets actually do trade down would honestly be shocking 

Mac doesn't have that kind of job security. 

57 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I am find with a little flexibility to trade down to 15. Outside of the top 3-4 players, there is a logjam of talent between 5-15 anyway so trading back to 15 won't hurt us too much. 

We could still end up with one of the Tackles (Taylor/Williams/Dillard) or an edge guy (Burns/Ferrell/Sweat). Then with the 2nd we can get one of the centers. Far better than just Allen or Quinnen or Oliver. 

In order to move down, the LEAST I would take is the 15th pick, the 46th pick and their 1st and 2nd next year. The LEAST. I'm not bending more than that. 

3 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Macc just traded three 2nd round picks to move up from #6 to #3 last year. Overpaying by roughly 900 points on the draft chart.

He’ll look like a total f*cking clown if he takes nothing but Washington’s mid-2nd rounder and a future 1st to move all the way back to #15.

The Redskins would be making this trade to take a potential franchise QB. You make them PAY to pull it off.

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

for all the talk and hype at this point if the Jets actually do trade down would honestly be shocking 

Not really. Pre-draft trades aren't as common as draft day trades. 

The theory is you can get better value when the clock is ticking. 

16 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I'm not accepting it, I'm expecting it. Two totally different words. 

Also have to wonder if the Jon Gruden is ****ing with his brother with today's report that Haskins is the Raiders' guy. Two brothers could be in cahoots, but they could also be bigger rivals than any other two coaches in the league. 

1 minute ago, slats said:

I'm not accepting it, I'm expecting it. Two totally different words. 

Also have to wonder if the Jon Gruden is ****ing with his brother with today's report that Haskins is the Raiders' guy. Two brothers could be in cahoots, but they could also be bigger rivals than any other two coaches in the league. 

Well, seeing as the Jets are drafting ahead of both of them we should be in the driver's seat. 

Unfortunately, our GM can't drive. 

7 minutes ago, bitonti said:

It is the exception toe the rule to trade up to s pot before knowing who is there.  Mac took a huge gamble.  We could be sitting here after giving up 3 second rounders for Josh Allen.

Mac's job security is much better than people seem to think.  It shouldn't be but it is.  He got Darnold, they just got a whole new coaching staff.  He is not gming as if he is a lame duck.

2 minutes ago, Klecko73isGod said:

Oh for goodness sake, what part of the word "theory" do you not understand?

there are obviously more trades on draft day but this isn't swapping a couple of 5ths to get back into the 4th

deals for picks like 1.3 happen in advance of the draft. they are huge news deals. I don't remember exactly when Mike Ditka traded his entire draft for Ricky Williams but it wasn't when they were on the clock 

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Well, to be fair, the Jets really wanted to trade UP. Now they really want to trade DOWN. Maybe not very many teams are willing to gamble like the Jets did last year and move up without really knowing who will be there at 3. I mean, maybe there are pending deals already on the table where the Giants or Washington or Denver are saying- hey, if Murray is available at #3 we will pull the trigger.

Maybe there are teams that made offers to move up to #3 but THIS TIME the Jets didn't like the idea of taking the offer without seeing who will be there at #3. 

If the Jets traded down I would not be at all surprised. 

If the Jets stayed at 3 and took Allen I would not be at all surprised. 

If the Jets stayed at 3 and took QW I would not be surprised. 

If the Jets stayed at 3 and took ANYONE ELSE- including Oliver or Taylor or literally any other player at 3 I would be VERY surprised. 

1 minute ago, Pcola said:

Just think back a few years...if Houston, instead of taking Clowney, traded down accumulated a bunch of picks and then took Aaron Donald?

drafting in hindsight it easy and fun for all ages

the trade down crew seems to only want to see the best case scenario 

Most of us were alive for the actual worst case scenario which was Orlando Pace draft. 

those that forget the lessons of history are doomed to repeat them 

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

there are obviously more trades on draft day but this isn't swapping a couple of 5ths to get back into the 4th

deals for picks like 1.3 happen in advance of the draft. they are huge news deals. I don't remember exactly when Mike Ditka traded his entire draft for Ricky Williams but it wasn't when they were on the clock 

Ok, so you named one other predraft trade.

Most trades in the first round still happen during the draft. 

I'm done with this though because it is a stupid thing to argue about. 

Just now, bitonti said:

The Jets took a lot of criticism for trading to #3 pre-draft last year. That's not a common pre-draft trade, that's a trade you execute after the first two picks are off the board, especially in a year like this where no one knows for certain who the top two players are going to be. 

But you do negotiate terms of a trade ahead of time should the board fall in a way that both teams will still want to make the trade, and I'm sure Mac's had those talks with more than one team. 

Just now, PepPep said:

Well, to be fair, the Jets really wanted to trade UP. Now they really want to trade DOWN. Maybe not very many teams are willing to gamble like the Jets did last year and move up without really knowing who will be there at 3. I mean, maybe there are pending deals already on the table where the Giants or Washington or Denver are saying- hey, if Murray is available at #3 we will pull the trigger.

Maybe there are teams that made offers to move up to #3 but THIS TIME the Jets didn't like the idea of taking the offer without seeing who will be there at #3. 

If the Jets traded down I would not be at all surprised. 

If the Jets stayed at 3 and took Allen I would not be at all surprised. 

If the Jets stayed at 3 and took QW I would not be surprised. 

If the Jets stayed at 3 and took ANYONE ELSE- including Oliver or Taylor or literally any other player at 3 I would be VERY surprised. 

ED Oliver might be 3rd on their board over Allen don't be very surprised 

there's been tons of buzz about it, Gregg Williams would probably pound the table for Oliver 

IT's true maybe teams don't know who is going to be at 3

or maybe none of the QBs are worth the 3 pick 

that's the ocham's razor explanation. trade ups basically only happen for QBs (marcus davenport aside) and there's no QB in this draft worth 1, 2 or 3. Probably not even 5-7. 

Archived