Baldy: Wesco Reminiscent of Quentin Nelson

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

If all you define success as is how much you make, not the difference you make, or competency you do it with... then I'll concede that. LOL

I do define it by the amount of money one makes. Which is why I walk home every night to my wife calling me a complete failure.  :)

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Imagine putting yourself into a position where only the steadying hand of Gregg Williams is the only thing standing between you and and absolute organizational collapse

Oh man, I am not disagreeing in any way. What they have done here in keeping Macc and building this staff the way they did is insanity. I am pretty much just enjoying the ride, because it is going to be drama central. I just hope they win some games along the way.

On 4/27/2019 at 10:19 PM, TuscanyTile2 said:

Agreed.  I think we're going to also be a running team (similar to the Seahawks from last year).  That might be our best chance at success considering we didn't do that much to fortify the offense.

Leveon Bell, Jamison Crowder, Osmele all say hello....

• Upvote 4

On 4/27/2019 at 4:43 PM, docdhc said:

Baldy always seems so positive. No wonder he drives people crazy here!

Positivity when nearly all the available information is negative makes one a Pollyanna, which is not an admirable quality. 

I'm a positive person in real life but when it comes to the Jets, there's not many good reasons to be positive.  

• Sympathy 1

On 4/27/2019 at 4:25 PM, Integrity28 said:

This is encouraging. At least, in a draft touted as deep at TE, we took one. WR was another depth area along with DT. We passed on WRs in favor of scraps, and we took DT at #3 when we could have gotten comparable DT later. So... I'm pretty down on this draft. It, as usual, seems very uninformed by a vision for what they want the team to be.

dont know if you could have taken a compatible dt later in the draft if he was a top two player. I wanted Allen but QQ is the better player and is a day one starter. I also wanted another olineman but he seems happy with Toth and Harrison at center and brought in a bunch of olinemen that were not drafted. I want to see what shakes out

On 4/28/2019 at 8:38 AM, Integrity28 said:

I’m saying Mac could have tried harder to find a good offer. He has failed st major trades every year.

if your plan is contingent upon the trade, you make it happen. What wd all saw the past 3 days was plan B at best. I’m not okay with plan B executives.

fair points about not taking plan B, you should try for your preference no matter what, but what if youre ok with the alternative, not just ok, but really could take either?  .. From what I know the offers that came in were substandard to the value.  Mac was looking for a 1st next year, a 2nd this or next and a 3-4 this or next in a trade down, along with swapping firsts this year obviously. To my knowledge all offers fell short of those demands..  Couple that with the fact that the front office and staff were both VERY high on williams.  Is it bad for them to turn down substandard offers and get less value and take a highly highly valued player that they had in the top 3 on their boards?

I wanted to trade down too, it made the most sense to fill the most holes this year with quality players.. But i wont kill the team for not taking less than market value for the pick just for the sake of trading down.  I'll never trade for the sake of trading, its just bad business.  At the end of the day the offers werent there, i think everyone hoped they might be but every team wanted different qbs which kept the value of a trade up low.  So they did the only thing they could and took the best player on their board, a player that was possibly the best player in the draft (depending on how you feel about him as a prospect).

10 hours ago, Maxman said:

Thank you. I am starting a thread on this, because everyone is saying they neglected the offense.

Make sure you use asterisks for all the positions he failed to upgrade. Only fair. 

Upgraded eh RT, Slot WR, G, RB, Edge eh, DT, TE eh

Upgrade needed  #1 WR, C, LT, G

Center and LT were the 2 paramount positions to be addressed and totally ignored. Inexcusable. FIRE ? Macc!!!

1 hour ago, Wonderboy said:

Winters, Shell, Beach, McGuire, Cannon, Harrison, Lee, Leo and the rest of the Jags give their thanks for avoiding to work at UPS.

I get your point but that doesn't take away from him signing the best free agent running back and solid slot receiver in free agency plus a pro bowl level guard via trade.   Lets see what the team looks like when they are all on the field together; along with Wesco adding lead and pass blocking from the TE/FB position.   How does that not help the offense?  How about living in the here and now.   It's spring, can we be even a little bit hopeful?  

24 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

I get your point but that doesn't take away from him signing the best free agent running back and solid slot receiver in free agency plus a pro bowl level guard via trade.   Lets see what the team looks like when they are all on the field together; along with Wesco adding lead and pass blocking from the TE/FB position.   How does that not help the offense?  How about living in the here and now.   It's spring, can we be even a little bit hopeful?  

Definitely helpful. BUT my optimism has waned over Macc and Idzik’s ineptitude. This draft could have been light years better. We drafted yet another DT we didn’t need. Missed out on countless OL prospects that faired way higher, drafted a one dimensional TE we really didn’t need, drafted a CB with significant injury history. Draft D-

3 hours ago, dcJet said:

The coaches love this guy which explains the confusing second trade down. 

Yeah, Wesco seems like a Gase kind of selection. He isn't someone the scouts are going to push for but is a player a coaching staff knows can be very valuable. So if you want to give Macc credit, and I know most here don't, it's pretty smart to trade down when you are pretty confident the player you want won't be too high on other GM's draft boards. 

Just now, Paradis said:

This thread is identical the one started about Ardarius Stewart in ‘17... same people defending it too. I hope he’s the real deal. But what do I know, I thought Ardarius was a fcking stupid pick.  

useless one trick pony and the trick sucked.  wesco comes into the league as an accomplished blocker, something this team needs.

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

useless one trick pony and the trick sucked.  wesco comes into the league as an accomplished blocker, something this team needs.

That’s what I was thinking too, in the 4th round with all those players on board.

“You know what we really need..”

On 4/28/2019 at 10:20 AM, Maxman said:

He was desperate in this draft because he got Sam darnold in the last one. He walked away with a stud defensive player in round one. It isnt ideal from a positional standpoint but the only real mistake he could have made in round one is by taking a bad deal in a trade.

At the risk of sounding foolish, I guarantee you that had we traded back and taking Oliver and acquired a pic to use on the centre McCoy — the product in the field would be better than just taking Williams.

Hands-down, no argument our team is better on Sundays with McCoy and Oliver, than just Williams. Especially considering the talent we already have on the roster 

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

That’s what I was thinking too, in the 4th round with all those players on board.

“You know what we really need..”

jets running game sucked last year.  they got bell, osemele and wesco.  big upgrades. if he doesn't have hands of stone he's well worth the pick.  he'll play more than any wr they would have taken in the 3rd or 4th and can have a substantial impact on short yardage/goal line packages.  

guys like stewart, you can find them UDFA, which is what they did with dortsch.  and the high upside picks in the 3rd round - this is the most logical mccagnan draft yet, and it would look really good if they had a 2nd round pick - that would have been a starting cb.

On 4/27/2019 at 4:25 PM, SR24 said:

This guy is going to light up our practice squad this year. Actually don't mind the pick though seems like he's got a ton of versatility and upside

If he goes to the practice  Squad the Pat's will steal him. Baldinger is right the kid is a beast and is very hard to bring down he reminds me of Gronk if he plays like he did at WV this guy will be starting and Herdon will be watching from the sidelines.

• Upvote 1

Here's how much I know about ranking college TE's.

All through his senior year, I kept telling my friends Jace Amaro was going to be a superstar. I couldn't believe it when the Jets picked him. Just a perfect fit here, I thought. That night a bunch of those same friends called and congratulated me for my good fortune and obvious scouting acumen.

Well, I'm still hearing it from them about good old Jace. In fact its become kind of a running joke as they ask what I think of any pick the Jets make.

So its with that said, I'm getting a really good feeling about this Wesco kid. I'm thinking he and Herndon could become a special tandem.

I'm apologizing in advance for this, Trevor. 

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

jets running game sucked last year.  they got bell, osemele and wesco.  big upgrades. if he doesn't have hands of stone he's well worth the pick.  he'll play more than any wr they would have taken in the 3rd or 4th and can have a substantial impact on short yardage/goal line packages.  

guys like stewart, you can find them UDFA, which is what they did with dortsch.  and the high upside picks in the 3rd round - this is the most logical mccagnan draft yet, and it would look really good if they had a 2nd round pick - that would have been a starting cb.

Hindsight 20/20. Admit it, you loved Stewart at the time. 

Im open to Wesco being worth it. You lost me on the rest. Here’s hoping those first 3 make an impact... 

Just now, Paradis said:

Hindsight 20/20. Admit it, you loved Stewart at the time. 

Im open to Wesco being worth it. You lost me on the rest. Here’s hoping those first 3 make an impact... 

what i like about this year's draft is that there is finally upside in the picks.  polite has first round tape.  wesco is being tabbed as a sleeper TE.  even the 6th round cb, at least the guy can play if healthy.  they have enough guys who can maybe make partial contributions if all goes right.  

27 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Definitely helpful. BUT my optimism has waned over Macc and Idzik’s ineptitude. This draft could have been light years better. We drafted yet another DT we didn’t need. Missed out on countless OL prospects that faired way higher, drafted a one dimensional TE we really didn’t need, drafted a CB with significant injury history. Draft D-

27 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Now your just proving your ignorance.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

what i like about this year's draft is that there is finally upside in the picks.  polite has first round tape.  wesco is being tabbed as a sleeper TE.  even the 6th round cb, at least the guy can play if healthy.  they have enough guys who can maybe make partial contributions if all goes right.  

Don’t talk about the 6th round CB (who will remained unnamed). He makes Dexter McDougle look like the iron man Favre of defensive backs. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Here's how much I know about ranking college TE's.

All through his senior year, I kept telling my friends Jace Amaro was going to be a superstar. I couldn't believe it when the Jets picked him. Just a perfect fit here, I thought. That night a bunch of those same friends called and congratulated me for my good fortune and obvious scouting acumen.

Well, I'm still hearing it from them about good old Jace. In fact its become kind of a running joke as they ask what I think of any pick the Jets make.

So its with that said, I'm getting a really good feeling about this Wesco kid. I'm thinking he and Herndon could become a special tandem.

I'm apologizing in advance for this, Trevor. 

What you have to remind yourself of is this . For 2 decades the Jets employed defensive minded HC's , they had no fire to develop offensive skilled players.

Giving a guy like Amaro to Rex or Herm or Clueless Todd is like giving a midget a yo-yo its worthless.

I trust  Gase will find clever ways to utilize Wesco regardless of what all the naysayers and experts say.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

On 4/27/2019 at 4:59 PM, JetFreak89 said:

He’s a blocking TE to take over for Tomlinson. Hopefully he will end up being a better blocker and catcher though so it won’t automatically be a run call when he enters the game. People are quickly forgetting about Herndon who will be our primary receiving TE.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Herndon can also line up outside in a slot