2020 WR CLASS

7 minutes ago, Lith said:

Good post.  Haven't seen much of Claypool (only whne ND played the Dawgs) but I learned my lesson on these kinds of guys a few years ago.  Treadwell, Doctson, Strong, big guys who win a lot of contested balls don't always succeed in NFL because they don't get consistent separation.  Now I look for hands and route running when watching WRs.  If they have size and/or sub 4.5 speed, thats an added bonus

Agreed. Route running may be the best predictor of future success. That is a big part of the reason why I think Jeudy has such a high floor. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

On 11/17/2019 at 5:34 AM, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Claypool has me worried.  Yeah, he's gone off for like 6 touchdowns the last two weeks, but he's almost never open.  Unless he's running underneath a zone every one of his catches are contested.  Yes he's making the play, but if he's being blanketed at the NCAA level vs Navy and VaTech, what's an NFL corner going to do to him?

I have a feeling he's going to run a pretty slow 40.  Might need to bulk up and go H-Back.

Fun fact, he was recruited as an Edge rusher, but ND was stacked with ends so they converted him to offense. 

The opposite of Anthony Barr who was promised RB by UCLA before switching to OLB.

I concede that he’s not demonstrating Megatron speed despite similar size/weight. Different body types. 

but he’s Canadian so I’ll die on this hill. I think he needs to consider a TE/Jimmy Graham role. His ST prowess will see him active on Sundays regardless 

9 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I concede that he’s not demonstrating Megatron speed despite similar size/weight. Different body types. 

but he’s Canadian so I’ll die on this hill. I think he needs to consider a TE/Jimmy Graham role. His ST prowess will see him active on Sundays regardless 

The “big slot” role.  Good article about just that.   
https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/chase-claypool-notre-dame-fighting-irish-nfl-draft

• Sympathy 1

12 hours ago, Paradis said:

Thank you.

I got ribbed a little in august for listing AGG in my top 5 WRs... not so much anymore. 

He’s going to the Senior Bowl.  My guess is after that the hype train will really get rolling for AGG.  

Also, so far a nice group of WRs already committed to the Sr. bowl.  AGG, Claypool, C. Johnson, Duvernay, Pittman and even Lipscomb from Vandy.  Not a good year to be a smaller CB attending the Sr. bowl, could be a long week getting beat up by these big receivers.  

• Sympathy 2

4 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Another nice game for Mims.  

I don't know if "underrated" is appropriate anymore, but given all the attention names like Tyler Johnson gets, Mims deserves to be talked about as one of the more complete WRs in the draft. When I was slobbering over J. Hurd last year, Mims kept doing his best to steal the show. He's so smooth. 

On 11/24/2019 at 12:37 PM, Paradis said:

I don't know if "underrated" is appropriate anymore, but given all the attention names like Tyler Johnson gets, Mims deserves to be talked about as one of the more complete WRs in the draft. When I was slobbering over J. Hurd last year, Mims kept doing his best to steal the show. He's so smooth. 

this would be a great year to have a top pick and trade out.  If we had another 2nd round pick we'd easily be able to double dip on WRs.. theres going to be so many good ones coming out.  Doesn't look like our year for a top pick though, probably around 15-17 if i had to guess. 

3 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

this would be a great year to have a top pick and trade out.  If we had another 2nd round pick we'd easily be able to double dip on WRs.. theres going to be so many good ones coming out.  Doesn't look like our year for a top pick though, probably around 15-17 if i had to guess. 

We may luck out on whomever the "other guy" is... 

If we assume Burrow goes #1, it's likely Herbert (yuck) follows soon after. Then who knows -- but if we wind up at #14, maybe we get lucky and trade out for a team who has a high grade on Eason or Tua

If the post-surgery outlook is good for Tua  a team like PIT, DET. LAC is going to take a chance. 100%... he  could still go top 10 even. 

14 hours ago, Paradis said:

We may luck out on whomever the "other guy" is... 

If we assume Burrow goes #1, it's likely Herbert (yuck) follows soon after. Then who knows -- but if we wind up at #14, maybe we get lucky and trade out for a team who has a high grade on Eason or Tua

If the post-surgery outlook is good for Tua  a team like PIT, DET. LAC is going to take a chance. 100%... he  could still go top 10 even. 

that would be huge, This year more than any other, with the depth at WR and the ability to grab quality OL later in the first, would ideal to move down from 14 to the 20s and pick up some extra 2/3 round picks.  

• Sympathy 1

13 hours ago, Bronxville Jets Fan said:

WR is so tempting, but I can’t see Joe D addressing any position other than OL in the first round.  Especially considers the supposed depth of the WR position in this draft.

especially when you see multiple tackles projected in the first round, and you see how the wrs and tes are beginning to become somewhat interchangeable for darnold.  throw in berrios, boom huge play.  throw in griffin for herndon, no problem.  

• Sympathy 1

Just now, Paradis said:

I'm not passing on Lamb or Higgins for the 3rd or 4th best tackle. 

Douglas has to trade down then.  What you say makes sense but Macs years here have made it essential we get the best olineman on the board at the time.

I won't be outraged if we take a WR or an olb pass rusher over an olineman but the f'cker better be dominant good.

9 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Douglas has to trade down then.  What you say makes sense but Macs years here have made it essential we get the best olineman on the board at the time.

I won't be outraged if we take a WR or an olb pass rusher over an olineman but the f'cker better be dominant good.

I agree, but with every game we win - our leverage to trade back dwindles. That said, I'm very curious to see what Joe's style/strategy looks like next april.  

On 11/28/2019 at 1:19 PM, Paradis said:

I agree, but with every game we win - our leverage to trade back dwindles. That said, I'm very curious to see what Joe's style/strategy looks like next april.  

Me too. The teams that he worked for and learned from, Raven and Eagles, usually picked late teens or later. We win 2-3 more, that's probably where we will be. Maybe that different perspective helps us? I sure hope so.

• Sympathy 1

On 11/24/2019 at 11:06 AM, maury77 said:

Jennings, Mims, AGG, etc. it’s a great draft to double dip at WR. Also makes it less likely Robby is coming back. I’d rather sign DT to a modest deal and draft 2 WRs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you mean OT. ?

It is another real good Wide Receiver Draft.

My favorite was Tylan Wallace. He reminded me of Odell Beckham when Beckham has his mind on football. It is unfortunate he got hurt and out for the year. I  watched him for two years and no one can defend him.  Now Juedy worries me. Watched the Auburn Game and he disappeared. Waddle was the most dangerous player on the field. If you want another Larry Fitzgerald than Laviska Shenault is your guy. He is big and runs like a RB when he receives the ball.   Another dangerous receiver who catches everything is Michael Pitman out of USC. What I like about him is that he catches the ball when he is gets covered and will fight and get that reception. 

Beside Wallace being my number 1 guy the two players who are right behind him is Cee Dee Lamb, who is as quick as any receiver but needs to get stronger, and Denzel Mims out of Baylor.  Mims catches everything and is a big receiver at 6:3. He reminds me of Hall Of Famer Terrell Owens.  Others to watch are TCU  Jaelen Raegor who also returns punts and Tee Higgins from Clemson.  

Two sleepers who could rise are the SMU receiver duo of Reggie Robinson and James Proche.  Robinson is plain fast with excellent hands and Proche could run any route and catches everything.          

• Upvote 1

Higgins is just a natural at catching the ball with his hands.   Nothing gets into his body.  One of the best I’ve seen come through this program.  Him and Hopkins are the two best I’ve seen.  Higgins blows away Mike Williams when it comes to ball skills IMO.  He’s going to be a great pro.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

On 11/28/2019 at 12:04 PM, Paradis said:

I'm not passing on Lamb or Higgins for the 3rd or 4th best tackle. 

On 12/2/2019 at 5:42 PM, TNJet said:

And Jauan Jennings. Beast.

On 12/8/2019 at 7:51 AM, sec101row23 said:

Higgins is just a natural at catching the ball with his hands.   Nothing gets into his body.  One of the best I’ve seen come through this program.  Him and Hopkins are the two best I’ve seen.  Higgins blows away Mike Williams when it comes to ball skills IMO.  He’s going to be a great pro.  

Lamb / Higgins

Jennings

I would be so happy if somehow we got 2 of these guys.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Stark said:

Lamb / Higgins

Jennings

I would be so happy if somehow we got 2 of these guys.

I’d kill for Lamb in the 1st and Mims in the 3rd.

Would love to see us double dip at both WR and OL with our first 4 picks.

CeeDee Lamb, Creed Humphrey, Alaric Jackson and Denzel Mims would be a dream.

• Upvote 1

On 11/25/2019 at 8:25 PM, Bronxville Jets Fan said:

WR is so tempting, but I can’t see Joe D addressing any position other than OL in the first round.  Especially considers the supposed depth of the WR position in this draft.

I agree 100%. I know people are saying they don't want the 3rd or 4th best OT over the 2nd best WR like Lamb but honestly, the OT class is quite top heavy. I think you could have 4 Pro Bowl OTs go in the first round. If A.Thomas and Wirfs are off the board I would not mind taking Leatherwood. There will be lots of great options for a WR with #1 upside later on in the draft, its by far the deepest position in this draft. If the Jets really like someone in the second, I have no problem with them taking a WR then and going back to O-line with one of their 3rd round picks, but they HAVE to take an OT early, IMO. 

1 minute ago, PepPep said:

I agree 100%. I know people are saying they don't want the 3rd or 4th best OT over the 2nd best WR like Lamb but honestly, the OT class is quite top heavy. I think you could have 4 Pro Bowl OTs go in the first round. If A.Thomas and Wirfs are off the board I would not mind taking Leatherwood. There will be lots of great options for a WR with #1 upside later on in the draft, its by far the deepest position in this draft. If the Jets really like someone in the second, I have no problem with them taking a WR then and going back to O-line with one of their 3rd round picks, but they HAVE to take an OT early, IMO. Any way you slice it, the stars are aligning to finally address the OT position, not just the horrid O-line play, the fact that all the current starters can be cut loose or let walk and the high draft selection but the depth of OT in this years draft. 

if they only have 1 pick in the first round it has to be OL.  but they could trade back, or they could trade adams.  if douglas wants he could get a first for adams (more but only 1 first rounder) and turn him into a wr, and use the jets pick on a tackle.  

On 12/8/2019 at 5:51 AM, sec101row23 said:

I think i'm the only one on record since last year (unwavering) that has kept Higgins at the top of my WR board. Ahead of Jeudy, and co... 

And rightfully so if you're a Jets fan. He is everything we've been without at Split End (X), since... KJ?.. Braylon provided flashed of competency, but largely we desperately need Higgins. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

I agree 100%. I know people are saying they don't want the 3rd or 4th best OT over the 2nd best WR like Lamb but honestly, the OT class is quite top heavy. I think you could have 4 Pro Bowl OTs go in the first round. If A.Thomas and Wirfs are off the board I would not mind taking Leatherwood. There will be lots of great options for a WR with #1 upside later on in the draft, its by far the deepest position in this draft. If the Jets really like someone in the second, I have no problem with them taking a WR then and going back to O-line with one of their 3rd round picks, but they HAVE to take an OT early, IMO. 

I don't think you're being honest with your assessment.

The OT group is strong this year, but it's hardly anything is writing columns about to the tune of "One of the best ever, potentially"... meanwhile you have people who were paid to scout college talent stating this is the best class they've ever seen...

So, I respectfully disagree. The value is STILL receiver, regardless of which OT is on the board... Still lots to happen between today and April, but there's narrative here to not overact and put positional blinders on. 

On 12/3/2019 at 3:51 PM, Tony The Wiz said:

It is another real good Wide Receiver Draft.

My favorite was Tylan Wallace. He reminded me of Odell Beckham when Beckham has his mind on football. It is unfortunate he got hurt and out for the year. I  watched him for two years and no one can defend him.  Now Juedy worries me. Watched the Auburn Game and he disappeared. Waddle was the most dangerous player on the field. If you want another Larry Fitzgerald than Laviska Shenault is your guy. He is big and runs like a RB when he receives the ball.   Another dangerous receiver who catches everything is Michael Pitman out of USC. What I like about him is that he catches the ball when he is gets covered and will fight and get that reception. 

Beside Wallace being my number 1 guy the two players who are right behind him is Cee Dee Lamb, who is as quick as any receiver but needs to get stronger, and Denzel Mims out of Baylor.  Mims catches everything and is a big receiver at 6:3. He reminds me of Hall Of Famer Terrell Owens.  Others to watch are TCU  Jaelen Raegor who also returns punts and Tee Higgins from Clemson.  

Two sleepers who could rise are the SMU receiver duo of Reggie Robinson and James Proche.  Robinson is plain fast with excellent hands and Proche could run any route and catches everything.          

I wanted to have a moderated debate with you.