2020 WR CLASS

On 10/9/2019 at 12:27 PM, Paradis said:

P, you been snoozing on my posts.. i've been full homo for AGG since august.

I'm on board. There is just something about him that makes me feel like he was made to be a pro receiver. And not for nothing, but he is going to kill the interview at the combine. He talks football like a coach.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Daniel Jeremiah @MoveTheSticks

Penn State WR (1) KJ Hamler has elite speed and quickness. So many NFL teams are desperate for explosive players on the perimeter. He’ll be highly coveted in the spring.

Redshirt sophomore receiver/return man..  5'9" 180

Hamler said he has yet to run a timed 40-yard dash at Penn State due to extenuating circumstances. But when he does, he insists he will break the Nittany Lions' record of 4.30 seconds set in the summer of 2017 by walk-on safety Drew Hartlaub. For context, as of last winter, Saquon Barkley was third on the weight room big board in the 40 with a 4.33.

“I’m predicting 4.28,” Hamler said. “Probably by the time I leave here, 4.28 or 4.25 — something around there.”

Hamler tore the ACL in his left knee during the first game of his high school senior season at IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla. He missed the rest of that season and then took a redshirt as a true freshman at PSU as his rehab lingered. So heading into the 2018 campaign, he had never done the program’s run testing during the winter or summer workouts.

When Hamler finally played in a game in 2018 — for the first time since August of 2016 — he wasted no time proving just how fast he was. He averaged 17.9 yards per catch and 26.2 yards per kickoff return for the Lions last season. The highlight was a 93-yard catch and run for a TD vs. Ohio State on which he blew past the Buckeyes’ athletic secondary.

Watched the USC/ Colorado game last night.  USC has a nice trio of receivers in Pittman, St. Brown and Vaughns.  Pittman could be a nice mid-round find.   Still not sure what Shenault from Colorado is yet.  Everyone is comparing him to Cordarrel Patterson, which I think isn’t a very good compliment, especially if you’re drafting him to be a WR.  He’s explosive no doubt, he’ll need a good offensive coordinator to make the most out of him.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Watched the USC/ Colorado game last night.  USC has a nice trio of receivers in Pittman, St. Brown and Vaughns.  Pittman could be a nice mid-round find.   Still not sure what Shenault from Colorado is yet.  Everyone is comparing him to Cordarrel Patterson, which I think isn’t a very good compliment, especially if you’re drafting him to be a WR.  He’s explosive no doubt, he’ll need a good offensive coordinator to make the most out of him.  

Shenault and Pittman put on quite a show last night.  I really like Shenault's upside.  He is used in so many different ways, but is dynamic with the ball in his hands.  I think he can be much better as WR than Patterson; may not be an advanced route runner, but still think the upside is much better than Patterson.  We need playmakers and this guy in a playmaker.  If we are picking top 10, there are likely to be better options than Shnault, but if we stack af few wins against the soft part of our schedule and end up in the teens, he could be in the mix. 

Although I would still prefer OL in the first and Pittman on day 2.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/21/2019 at 10:49 AM, C Mart said:

Daniel Jeremiah @MoveTheSticks

Penn State WR (1) KJ Hamler has elite speed and quickness. So many NFL teams are desperate for explosive players on the perimeter. He’ll be highly coveted in the spring.

Redshirt sophomore receiver/return man..  5'9" 180

Hamler said he has yet to run a timed 40-yard dash at Penn State due to extenuating circumstances. But when he does, he insists he will break the Nittany Lions' record of 4.30 seconds set in the summer of 2017 by walk-on safety Drew Hartlaub. For context, as of last winter, Saquon Barkley was third on the weight room big board in the 40 with a 4.33.

“I’m predicting 4.28,” Hamler said. “Probably by the time I leave here, 4.28 or 4.25 — something around there.”

Hamler tore the ACL in his left knee during the first game of his high school senior season at IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla. He missed the rest of that season and then took a redshirt as a true freshman at PSU as his rehab lingered. So heading into the 2018 campaign, he had never done the program’s run testing during the winter or summer workouts.

When Hamler finally played in a game in 2018 — for the first time since August of 2016 — he wasted no time proving just how fast he was. He averaged 17.9 yards per catch and 26.2 yards per kickoff return for the Lions last season. The highlight was a 93-yard catch and run for a TD vs. Ohio State on which he blew past the Buckeyes’ athletic secondary.

Is he smaller than Greg Dortch?

55 minutes ago, Joe the Breadman said:

Anyone know if Lawrence Cager WR Georgia is draft eligible?

Yes, he is draft eligible.  He was a graduate transfer from Miami to UGA this year.  He is a senior.  May have made himself some money on Saturday.

On 10/26/2019 at 8:03 AM, Lith said:

Shenault and Pittman put on quite a show last night.  I really like Shenault's upside.  He is used in so many different ways, but is dynamic with the ball in his hands.  I think he can be much better as WR than Patterson; may not be an advanced route runner, but still think the upside is much better than Patterson.  We need playmakers and this guy in a playmaker.  If we are picking top 10, there are likely to be better options than Shnault, but if we stack af few wins against the soft part of our schedule and end up in the teens, he could be in the mix. 

Although I would still prefer OL in the first and Pittman on day 2.

I'm not sure if Pittman's gonna be more than journeymen WR3 but he's had a year. 

I need to take a long look at Shenault, cause i'm concerned he's going to need touches manufactured, and his "round 1" price tag is way to high for me.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

This narrative that started a year ago is only gaining steam.... And I can already feel the cynicism coming on. Jets won't bother till round 4, we'll be the ones to take the one guy that busts, etc. etc 

hopefully douglas breaks the trend of not taking advantage of the strength of the draft.

i also wouldn't be surprised if they do trade robbie anderson for a 3rd rounder rather than pay him.  

4 hours ago, Paradis said:

This narrative that started a year ago is only gaining steam.... And I can already feel the cynicism coming on. Jets won't bother till round 4, we'll be the ones to take the one guy that busts, etc. etc 

That will be 2014 all over again.  I’m not sure you can wait around till mid 3rd round this year.  The Jets need to get one of the more elite prospects and then maybe double dip in the 4th or 5th.  Idzik avoided all the talent in 2014 like he was dodging land mines.   

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

That will be 2014 all over again.  I’m not sure you can wait around till mid 3rd round this year.  The Jets need to get one of the more elite prospects and then maybe double dip in the 4th or 5th.  Idzik avoided all the talent in 2014 like he was dodging land mines.   

In the pipe dream that is trading back; I’d like to see us use an early pick on Higgins/Lamb and circle back later for Claypool/Duvernay... that would go a LONG way to infusing some talent and youth into that group. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

If that's the case I'd rather get two of these guys in something like the 3rd and 4th rather than a top one in Round 1 or 2.

The Jets simply have to accumulate more draft picks in 2nd to 4th round area.

That was the thinking in 2014, and while I hope that Douglas is a MUCH better talent evaluator than Idzik and Maccagnan, the top of the second round could be the spot to take a WR.  Obviously there is a lot to play out between now and next April, but I don’t think waiting till round 3 for a WR would be prudent.  We’ll see just how many of these guys actually go round 1, every year we see mocks with 6 or so WRs going in the first, but that rarely happens.  

The trade down scenario has never been more obvious than this draft.  Just getting an extra second round pick would be huge this year, lots of talent in that second round.  

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

That was the thinking in 2014, and while I hope that Douglas is a MUCH better talent evaluator than Idzik and Maccagnan, the top of the second round could be the spot to take a WR.  Obviously there is a lot to play out between now and next April, but I don’t think waiting till round 3 for a WR would be prudent.  We’ll see just how many of these guys actually go round 1, every year we see mocks with 6 or so WRs going in the first, but that rarely happens.  

The trade down scenario has never been more obvious than this draft.  Just getting an extra second round pick would be huge this year, lots of talent in that second round.  

On the other hand, I'm beginning to get intrigued about Austin Jackson and Josh Jones at the top of round 2. If we could get a very solid tackle at the top of round 2, I think I'm fine with Jeudy or Lamb in Round 1. 

Tua getting hurt today hurts us in the draft. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, maury77 said:

On the other hand, I'm beginning to get intrigued about Austin Jackson and Josh Jones at the top of round 2. If we could get a very solid tackle at the top of round 2, I think I'm fine with Jeudy or Lamb in Round 1. 

Tua getting hurt today hurts us in the draft. 

Agreed.  It’s so early to start predicting this stuff.  Any combo of WR-LT or LT-WR works for me.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, sec101row23 said:

Agreed.  It’s so early to start predicting this stuff.  Any combo of WR-LT or LT-WR works for me.  

First four picks need to be a mix of WR and OLine regardless of position. I'd make a concession for a RB in there because I think Bell is done and used up from all of the carries Pitt put on him and we have NOTHING behind him.

How long have we been doing this exercise? This goes back to before Idzik was hired and our offense is still one of the worst in the league. 

I'll  know where I stand with JD after one draft. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, RobR said:

First four picks need to be a mix of WR and OLine regardless of position. I'd make a concession for a RB in there because I think Bell is done and used up from all of the carries Pitt put on him and we have NOTHING behind him.

How long have we been doing this exercise? This goes back to before Idzik was hired and our offense is still one of the worst in the league. 

I'll  know where I stand with JD after one draft. 

Agree about Bell, he’s done.  Ideally I’d like to get Sam his LT and his big WR.   There needs to be something to build around going forward.  Right now there is nothing besides Sam to build around.  

I agree about knowing where we stand with Douglas after this draft.   It will be telling.  

• Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Agree about Bell, he’s done.  Ideally I’d like to get Sam his LT and his big WR.   There needs to be something to build around going forward.  Right now there is nothing besides Sam to build around.  

I agree about knowing where we stand with Douglas after this draft.   It will be telling.  

I'll take it one step further. Besides the QB position (Darnold, Sanchez) the last time we drafted anything on the offensive side was 13 years ago.   

11 minutes ago, RobR said:

I'll take it one step further. Besides the QB position (Darnold, Sanchez) the last time we drafted anything on the offensive side was 13 years ago.   

Yup.  Besides QB here are the last first round offensive players selected at their respective positions   

TE Dustin Keller 2008

OL Ferguson and Mangold 2006

WR Santana Moss 2001.

RB Blair Thomas 1990. 

4 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Yup.  Besides QB here are the last first round offensive players selected at their respective positions   

TE Dustin Keller 2008

OL Ferguson and Mangold 2006

WR Santana Moss 2001.

RB Blair Thomas 1990. 

Absolutely insane and I even missed Keller when we traded up into the bottom of the first round. 

Claypool has me worried.  Yeah, he's gone off for like 6 touchdowns the last two weeks, but he's almost never open.  Unless he's running underneath a zone every one of his catches are contested.  Yes he's making the play, but if he's being blanketed at the NCAA level vs Navy and VaTech, what's an NFL corner going to do to him?

I have a feeling he's going to run a pretty slow 40.  Might need to bulk up and go H-Back.

Fun fact, he was recruited as an Edge rusher, but ND was stacked with ends so they converted him to offense. 

The opposite of Anthony Barr who was promised RB by UCLA before switching to OLB.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Claypool has me worried.  Yeah, he's gone off for like 6 touchdowns the last two weeks, but he's almost never open.  Unless he's running underneath a zone every one of his catches are contested.  Yes he's making the play, but if he's being blanketed at the NCAA level vs Navy and VaTech, what's an NFL corner going to do to him?

I have a feeling he's going to run a pretty slow 40.  Might need to bulk up and go H-Back.

Fun fact, he was recruited as an Edge rusher, but ND was stacked with ends so they converted him to offense. 

The opposite of Anthony Barr who was promised RB by UCLA before switching to OLB.

Good post.  Haven't seen much of Claypool (only whne ND played the Dawgs) but I learned my lesson on these kinds of guys a few years ago.  Treadwell, Doctson, Strong, big guys who win a lot of contested balls don't always succeed in NFL because they don't get consistent separation.  Now I look for hands and route running when watching WRs.  If they have size and/or sub 4.5 speed, thats an added bonus