Texans shopping Clowney

7 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Clowney will want closer to $20m (just like Leo will demand next year) and the Jets should not spend that much more on D without some type of offset - over $55m on the DL alone

Trading Leo clears almost $15m and Clowney probably helps the DL more but it's a crap shot, both have disappointed compared to draft position, who knows maybe a fresh start would help? 

2 reasons not to trade Leo. Contract year. He’ll be playing harder than ever....and what will he do in a Greg Williams Defense with additional weapons Q. Williams and Mosley.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

20 minutes ago, MaxAF said:

2 reasons not to trade Leo. Contract year. He’ll be playing harder than ever....and what will he do in a Greg Williams Defense with additional weapons Q. Williams and Mosley.

Then let another team pay him. 

To me, moving Leo now makes sense because this is likely his last year on the Jets, and the roster is too deficient this year to make the playoffs regardless of its other strengths.  I don’t know whether JD agrees.  

I would rather see Leo converted to a resource (cap space, draft pick, player) who could help the Jets in 2020+. 

21 minutes ago, MaxAF said:

good reasons to keep him, Leo should be playing hard and smart for the first time in his NFL career, kacy is the only DC he knows :(

Even if he has a monster year (we agree it's possible) do you trust him enough for the $100m contract (Mo was great in his contract year too)

Leo is one of the reasons I did not like the pick at #3 - I think it forces the Jets hand with Leo when he may need another year with an actual NFL DC

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, varjet said:

Then let another team pay him. 

To me, moving Leo now makes sense because this is likely his last year on the Jets, and the roster is too deficient this year to make the playoffs regardless of its other strengths.  I don’t know whether JD agrees.  

I would rather see Leo converter to a resource (cap space, draft pick, player) who could help the Jets in 2020+. 

Not so fast, Let's see what GW can get out of him.

1 hour ago, jetspenguin said:

Just say NO....

1. He has never lived up to the hype.

2. He will want a boatload of money

3. We have much bigger needs

4. We already have players with the kind of production that he brings at a cheaper price 

And yet he’s a way better edge rusher than anyone we had since Abe

2 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

good reasons to keep him, Leo should be playing hard and smart for the first time in his NFL career, kacy is the only DC he knows :(

Even if he has a monster year (we agree it's possible) do you trust him enough for the $100m contract (Mo was great in his contract year too)

Leo is one of the reasons I did not like the pick at #3 - I think it forces the Jets hand with Leo when he may need another year with an actual NFL DC

Mac is gone.  Leo won’t be getting that $100 million bs contract from the jets

There is literally no logical reason why Leo should be here still

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Mac is gone.  Leo won’t be getting that $100 million bs contract from the jets

There is literally no logical reason why Leo should be here still

That was basically my point - with proper coaching, I still think Leo has potential but after selecting QW #3 Leo should have been traded but he is still a Jet so now would rather see him play then dump him - QW + LW in a luxury (that could be fun to watch) trade for Clowney could fill a need

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jetspenguin said:

Just say NO....

1. He has never lived up to the hype.

2. He will want a boatload of money

3. We have much bigger needs

4. We already have players with the kind of production that he brings at a cheaper price 

I tend to agree that we have bigger needs and shouldn't trade for him but he is a damn good player who lives in the back field. Would have loved to have added him if he went to free agency.

Clowney has consistently been towards the top of the league in tackles for loss over the last 3 years. He's a solid against the run and the pass.

2016: Tied 1st with 17 TFL

2017: 2nd with 21 TFL

2018: Tied 7th with 16 TFL

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Clowney has never had 10 sacks in a season.  Has had injury problems.

Theres a reason the texans arent resigning him.  Broadway Joe Douglas is waaaay to smart to fall for this.

Clowney will not be a jet.

And that's with playing opposite Watt his whole career. In contrast, Bradley Chubb playing in his first season opposite Von Miller had 15.

2 hours ago, New York Mick said:

Unfortunately he’s not worth the money that he’ll want and this team isn’t one player away from being a contender. 

If we can sign him to a long-term extension, he's exactly the kind of player to go after.  He's only 26 and we need a 3-4 EDGE in the worst way, even if Polite works out.  

I get that he'll want more than he's worth, but he's had 18.5 sacks over the last 2 seasons, with 42 QB Hits, 37 TFL's, 3 FF, 6 FR and 2 TD's.  We haven't had a pass rusher since 2005 after we traded away John Abraham.  What am I missing here?

• Sympathy 1

55 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If we can sign him to a long-term extension, he's exactly the kind of player to go after.  He's only 26 and we need a 3-4 EDGE in the worst way, even if Polite works out.  

I get that he'll want more than he's worth, but he's had 18.5 sacks over the last 2 seasons, with 42 QB Hits, 37 TFL's, 3 FF, 6 FR and 2 TD's.  We haven't had a pass rusher since 2005 after we traded away John Abraham.  What am I missing here?

You’re missing the fact that Joe Douglas is here to build his own team.  Not sign off injured guys whos own team does not want to sign him.

Joe will find a pass rusher.  But its not going to be a high priced free agent whos never cracked the 10 sack mark.

3 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

That was basically my point - with proper coaching, I still think Leo has potential but after selecting QW #3 Leo should have been traded but he is still a Jet so now would rather see him play then dump him - QW + LW in a luxury (that could be fun to watch) trade for Clowney could fill a need

Unless Gregg wants to do a Bowles and move a 300lb interior DL to DB there’s no point in us NOT trading Leo

15 hours ago, Rsherman28 said:

Well, it looks like Jadeveon Clowney has probably played his last game in a Texans uniform.

According to Michael Lombardi, the Texans are shopping him in talks around the league.

Lombardi added that the Texans trade demands for Clowney “will be reasonable” and “won’t be hard to solve.” The only issue the Texans have in the trade talks will be the kind of money Clowney is looking for in a long-term deal.

The Texans applied the franchise tag to Clowney during the offseason, but he has yet to sign it, along with him skipping offseason program, training camp and the first preseason game so far.

Clowney will have to sign that franchise tender in order to be traded.

Teams that I think he'll land...

Redskins, Colts, Jets or Eagles. 

I think the Skins would have the biggest advantage given that it's clear that Trent wont play for them and the Texans need Oline help at Tackle.

Ive also heard that the Texans need some talent at DT, which could allow us to trade Leo. 

Not sure about cap space...just winging it here.

35 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

You’re missing the fact that Joe Douglas is here to build his own team.  Not sign off injured guys whos own team does not want to sign him.

I'm sure he does, but we've also seen him aggressively go after some players on other rosters, including Alex Lewis (Baltimore castoff).  

Plus Houston isn't entirely in the same situation as we are.  They're going to have to pay up for DeShaun Watson a year earlier than we'll have to pay Darnold.  That makes a difference in who they opt to pay the big bucks to.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'm sure he does, but we've also seen him aggressively go after some players who can help this season, including Alex Lewis (Baltimore castoff).  

Plus Houston isn't entirely in the same situation as we are.  They're going to have to pay up for DeShaun Watson a year earlier than we'll have to pay Darnold.  That makes a difference in who they opt to pay the big bucks to.  

Houston has a track record of letting edge fishers go they let Mario go for nothing in 2012

48 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

But he’s way better than any OLB we have had the past 15 years

He is, I am not arguing that.

I wouldn't give up a 1st rounder, and then pay the player 20+ million a season.   Right now they have cap room, but you can only give out a few of those contracts, and Clowney is not a guy I would give that to.   Just my 2 cents

11 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

Why give the Texans anything when they will probably just rescind the franchise tag at some point, and make him an unrestricted Fa.    Nobody trading for Clowney ,and  paying him a huge salary also. 

That doesn’t make sense, right? It’s not Gettleman releasing josh Norman from the panthers. Teams are literally trying to trade for Clowney right now. He has value but other teams may not want to pay the capital plus then there’s the matter of signing the player. So if that doesn’t happen I think the Texans keep him and force him to play the year out or pull a Le’Veon Bell which it’s unlikely another play does and gives up $14 mill. Make him play this year under the tag to help your team and worst case take the comp pick next year.

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

I wouldn't give up a 1st rounder, and then pay the player 20+ million a season.   Right now they have cap room, but you can only give out a few of those contracts, and Clowney is not a guy I would give that to.   Just my 2 cents

Who said anything about a 1st round pick?  Under the circumstances no NFL team should be ponying up a 1st for Clowney.  The Texans have almost zero leverage in a trade.  Any team looking to get Clowney might only be getting a rental for 1 season.  

The cost per season should an extension happen is another issue entirely.  But like I said, paying big $$$ to a 26-year old pass rusher while your QB is in year 2 of his rookie deal is not the worst thing one can imagine happening.  It would be huge for this franchise to have an EDGE that opposing offenses have to gameplan to stop for the first time in 14 years.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, David Harris said:

to

1 hour ago, David Harris said:

That doesn’t make sense, right? It’s not Gettleman releasing josh Norman from the panthers. Teams are literally trying to trade for Clowney right now. He has value but other teams may not want to pay the capital plus then there’s the matter of signing the player. So if that doesn’t happen I think the Texans keep him and force him to play the year out or pull a Le’Veon Bell which it’s unlikely another play does and gives up $14 mill. Make him play this year under the tag to help your team and worst case take the comp pick next year.

How long has Clowney been on the trade block? If there was real interest by teams, I think a deal would have been done by now.

The Texans don’t want to give him a long term contract tells you what?   Another team going to give up draft capital , and sign him to a big contract?( how much you willing to see your team give him per year).

Texans I think wish they would have  let him leave in Fa.   Would have received draft compensation , and freed up all that money. 

• Upvote 1

Why does everyone want to trade Leo so badly. I’m sure a 4th without Leo will do. Whoever takes Clowney is going to have to pay him.
We still have about 13 million in cap this year to work with. Clowney would instantly add some outside pass rush to what should be a dominant front 7 
I bet they get a first for clowney second plus more picks at the worst. The kid was a difference maker last season. Would not be surprised if the browns went after him to add another big name to their collection of superstars.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

2 hours ago, chirorob said:

We got the cap room.  We got the need.  Our secondary is hideous and we have zero pass rush

Our inability to defend the pass could cost us the season