Texans shopping Clowney

Well, it looks like Jadeveon Clowney has probably played his last game in a Texans uniform.

According to Michael Lombardi, the Texans are shopping him in talks around the league.

Lombardi added that the Texans trade demands for Clowney “will be reasonable” and “won’t be hard to solve.” The only issue the Texans have in the trade talks will be the kind of money Clowney is looking for in a long-term deal.

The Texans applied the franchise tag to Clowney during the offseason, but he has yet to sign it, along with him skipping offseason program, training camp and the first preseason game so far.

Clowney will have to sign that franchise tender in order to be traded.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Give them Leo

Why does everyone want to trade Leo so badly. I’m sure a 4th without Leo will do. Whoever takes Clowney is going to have to pay him.

We still have about 13 million in cap this year to work with. Clowney would instantly add some outside pass rush to what should be a dominant front 7 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Rsherman28 said:

Why does everyone want to trade Leo so badly. I’m sure a 4th without Leo will do. Whoever takes Clowney is going to have to pay him.

We still have about 13 million in cap this year to work with. Clowney would instantly add some outside pass rush to what should be a dominant front 7 

Since we do not have CBs, we will need an amazing pass rush

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Rsherman28 said:

Why does everyone want to trade Leo so badly. I’m sure a 4th without Leo will do. Whoever takes him is going to have to pay him.

Dude, could you have edited my post any more then you just did? You left 3 words, used them completely out of context, just so you could Make this point...

• Thumb Down 4

Clowney is sort of the Texans version of Leo.  Incredible athlete who plays the right way and is dominant in run defense, but who unfortunately lacks pass rush moves to really disengage from blockers and so doesn’t really get the sack numbers (despite getting the push).

Both suffer from draft expectations and contract worries (the is he worth it question).

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

The price tag shouldn’t be that high, and for good reason since you’d be trading for only one guaranteed year of Clowney. The Texans really screwed themselves by not trading him before the deadline to sign extensions for players slapped with the franchise tag (said another way, the Texans really screwed themselves by completely butchering the whole Pats-Caserio thing and handing the whole operation over to O’Brien and the Pats’ ex “culture coach”)

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, Rsherman28 said:

Clowney will want closer to $20m (just like Leo will demand next year) and the Jets should not spend that much more on D without some type of offset - over $55m on the DL alone in 2019, more $$$ next year

Trading Leo clears almost $15m and Clowney probably helps the DL more but it's a crap shot, both have disappointed compared to draft position, who knows maybe a fresh start would help? 

4 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Give them Leo and a 4th.

If they won’t budge, we can throw in Calvin Johnson.

Why give the Texans anything when they will probably just rescind the franchise tag at some point, and make him an unrestricted Fa.    Nobody trading for Clowney ,and  paying him a huge salary also. 

• Sympathy 1

Why give the Texans anything when they will probably just rescind the franchise tag at some point, and make him an unrestricted Fa.    Nobody trading for Clowney ,and  paying him a huge salary also. 

I actually almost entirely agree with this my frozen footed friend.

This is why I think that statement of being reasonable was added by the Texans imo.

I’d say a 4th or even 5th gets it done. Or Maybe a player for player trade. They’re not going to pay him and he’s not going to play without them paying him. Not a good scenario. Getting something for him is significantly better than nothing.

That said, I wouldn’t want to see the jets pay him the crazy amount he probably wants. Jachai polite is coming along nicely and will ultimately be just as good (or better) as Clowny is as far as PR goes. We got run stuffers all over the damn place already.

Ps. By we I don’t mean you. You understand I’m sure.

You like the idea of the faders grabbing him?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

The pick compensation would be a third in terms of draft chart value at the minimum (this is what Sheldon Richardson got in the final year of his rookie contract), and probably closer to a mid 2 b/c Clowney is significantly better than Sheldon ever was, has a larger upside, edge vs DT, and is still benefiting from college hype.

A trade for Leo, would make sense.  They'd probably want a 4th or 5th as well on top of that, and yea we'd be on the hook for a Trey Flowers style contract at the very minimum.

I mean, it wouldn't be a terrible deal.  You do get a proven young player who while he isn't a generational JJ Watt flashy talent, is still a  top 8 edge defender in the league who is entering his prime.

Still, from a min/max perspective our secondary is a much bigger concern in the short term.

• Sympathy 2

9 hours ago, Rsherman28 said:

Because Leo will be gone in 6 months

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

Just say NO....

1. He has never lived up to the hype.

2. He will want a boatload of money

3. We have much bigger needs

4. We already have players with the kind of production that he brings at a cheaper price 

Who on our team provides elite run defense and 9 sacks a year?

The closes player is Leo but he doesn’t get as many sacks.