Quinnen Williams straight up obliterating Jamon Brown

He made some nice plays but even in the 'Baldy' highlights he is talking about how good of a job he is doing at tieing up a guy or doing a 'contain' rush.   If we get a guy that is good at tieing up the middle and contain and we used a 3rd overall pick on him it is another bag of fail interior dline pick. 

I'd rather have a 'look at this dlineman abuse the olineman and get the sack!'  Rather than 'look at the dlineman tie up the center so that the blitzing safety can get a sack.'

22 hours ago, fullblast said:

Here's another play where Quinnen completely abuses the same guy. No tripping, just more power and technique.

Jump to 1:50 for the play, but feel free to watch the entire thing.

That play was a lot of more impressive than the original one where brown trips 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Thank you  

Jets fans happy about the play of one of their players and other fans knock them for it.  

IMO Just silly 

Nothing wrong with being happy.  

Also nothing wrong with taking an "ok, lets see it in the regular season, and see it regularly" before making judgement opinions either.

Personally, I think JN is being borderline schizophrenic re: preseason.  On one hand, I see a number of folks posting how little preseason play means when discussing certain topics (Bell not playing, Polite being a non-entity, other poor play) while in other threads some are giving great and deep meaning to relatively minor single plays in preseason.  I.e. the usual preseason stuff, which is one reason I tend to avoid forums during preseason nowadays.  There is almost nothing worth debating hard in preseason, I'll reserve my opinions, and optimism, for after seeing some games that count. 

Hopefully, when the start to count, QW will prove himself worth of such a huge draft investment by making great plays regularly.

JMO of course, I don't begrudge folks their enthusiasm (fanaticism).  I just prefer a more rational factual analysis personally.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nico002 said:

Keep sleeping on this kid... when the scheme is going full tilt and Leo is in there he will be a terror

Not sure what scheme will be effective with the DL personnel we have, nor do I imagine Leo will have a big impact on said system being effective.  But otherwise, full agreement!

• Upvote 1

It's very hard to compare Quinnen to Jenkins.  They are completely different type of players.  Jenkins was a behemoth at 350+ lbs. that just overpowered everyone that got in his way.  Quinnen weighs in at 290 I believe.  Not to say he can't be dominant (a la Donald) but it's almost a different position the way they play it.  

Related note - here's a great NYT article about Jenkins just after he retired.  A lot of heavy thoughts about the damage playing football did to his body but he had a very positive attitude about his career, including his time with the Jets.

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/20/sports/football/kris-jenkinss-view-of-life-in-the-nfl-trenches.html

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Not sure what scheme will be effective with the DL personnel we have, nor do I imagine Leo will have a big impact on said system being effective.  But otherwise, full agreement!

Hard to  double when Leo and Q are both on the field and you’re bringing an exotic blitz

• Upvote 2

On 8/17/2019 at 9:13 AM, Matt39 said:

40, vertical and broad jump

More of this? Okay

Former Alabama Crimson Tide defensive tackle Quinnen Williams is in the conversation as the best-overall prospect in the 2019 draft, and he only helped his case with a sensational NFL Combine performance.

With 71 tackles, 19.5 tackles for loss, and eight sacks, defensive tackle Quinnen Williams was an absolute menace last season for an elite Alabama Crimson Tide defense. Williams and Nick Bosa are widely viewed as the top-two prospects in a 2019 draft class that is absolutely loaded on the defensive line, and Williams cemented his status as a top-five pick with an electrifying NFL Combine performance.

At 6 foot 3, 303 pounds, Williams clocked a 4.83 forty-yard dash, which, as noted by the Houston Chronicle’s Aaron Wilson, is the fourth-fastest time in history for a 300-pounder in Combine history.

But perhaps Williams’s 10-yard splits on his 40 times were even more impressive, as The Athletic’s Dane Brugler noted that his 1.67-second split on his second run (he had a 1.69-second split on his first) bests marks set by superstars like Geno Atkins, Ndamukong Suh and Gerald McCoy. Players with faster splits? Fletcher Cox and Aaron Donald.

His agent, Nicole Lynn, was even surprised when Williams decided to run the 40 for a second time after posting a 4.87 mark, and it said a lot to her and the fans watching that he did even better on the second run with a 4.83.

Speed and explosiveness like that is simply unfair for any defensive tackle, but especially a 303-pounder with 33 1/4″ inch arms; it’s no wonder why Williams finished second in the SEC last year with those 19.5 tackles for loss.

Williams notched a 30.5-inch vertical and a 112-inch broad jump to go with his terrific 40-yard dash time. It’s that time, as well as the 10-yard split, that will generate the most discussion around Williams as a prospect.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Hard to  double when Leo and Q are both on the field and you’re bringing an exotic blitz

Easy to stop.  Jets send blitz, get the ball out quickly to a wide open receiver who gets a ton of YAC.  You can't just blitz all day when your corners suck.  

Pressure up the middle WITHOUT having to blitz will be a necessity for this defense to work.  

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Easy to stop.  Jets send blitz, get the ball out quickly to a wide open receiver who gets a ton of YAC.  You can't just blitz all day when your corners suck.  

Pressure up the middle WITHOUT having to blitz will be a necessity for this defense to work.  

Pretty much that’s it

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You still have to block your man, it’s about keeping the OL on its heels and giving Q 1on1 match ups. Not sure defending the slot is our issue, I don’t think the secondary’s weakness is going to be big plays.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, nico002 said:

You still have to block your man, it’s about keeping the OL on its heels and giving Q 1on1 match ups. Not sure defending the slot is our issue, I don’t think the secondary’s weakness is going to be big plays.

Our secondary flat out stinks

Our only shot of having even a mediocre pass defense is we get pass rush up the middle

• Upvote 1

On 8/18/2019 at 8:00 AM, NoBowles said:

Definitely what your betting on when taking a DT at 3. A good DT can be had in later rounds, but a truly dominant DT like a healthy Jenkins is worth his weight in gold. Hopefully we just got the latter

#nerdalert 

Just did some quick math, and you're actually under-selling that value. Quinnen Williams is getting right around his weight in gold, as a top 3 pick playing under his rookie contract.

Whether right around 300 pounds like QW, or way up there at a Jenkins-like 350-360, in round numbers you're talking about some 5000 ounces. At $1400-1500/ounce that'd put his weight in gold around $8MM.

Therefore, a truly dominant DT is worth around $20MM per year, or about 2.5x his weight in gold.

:D

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, nycdan said:

It's very hard to compare Quinnen to Jenkins.  They are completely different type of players.  Jenkins was a behemoth at 350+ lbs. that just overpowered everyone that got in his way.  Quinnen weighs in at 290 I believe.  Not to say he can't be dominant (a la Donald) but it's almost a different position the way they play it.  

Related note - here's a great NYT article about Jenkins just after he retired.  A lot of heavy thoughts about the damage playing football did to his body but he had a very positive attitude about his career, including his time with the Jets.

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/20/sports/football/kris-jenkinss-view-of-life-in-the-nfl-trenches.html

You wouldn't see Jenkins come off the edge and drawing a holding penalty like quinnen was able to do in his second preseason game.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

#nerdalert 

Just did some quick math, and you're actually under-selling that value. Quinnen Williams is getting right around his weight in gold, as a top 3 pick playing under his rookie contract.

Whether right around 300 pounds like QW, or way up there at a Jenkins-like 350-360, in round numbers you're talking about some 5000 ounces. At $1400-1500/ounce that'd put his weight in gold around $8MM.

Therefore, a truly dominant DT is worth around $20MM per year, or about 2.5x his weight in gold.

:D

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSBkc6okLvoTa3qsn3j_Sy

On 8/18/2019 at 1:57 PM, Beerfish said:

He made some nice plays but even in the 'Baldy' highlights he is talking about how good of a job he is doing at tieing up a guy or doing a 'contain' rush.   If we get a guy that is good at tieing up the middle and contain and we used a 3rd overall pick on him it is another bag of fail interior dline pick. 

I'd rather have a 'look at this dlineman abuse the olineman and get the sack!'  Rather than 'look at the dlineman tie up the center so that the blitzing safety can get a sack.'

mood lol GIF

What?

It was his second game.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, fullblast said:

It was his second game.

Misunderstanding, he is doing well enough so far, looks good, looks like a good kid.  The same as our last 10 interior Dline we have picked.  We have a #3 overall and a #6 overall on the dline on the inside.  They better be better than hold the fort almost get there.

Honestly, if he helps the S get the sack, we got a sack. I don't  care if he makes it or not, as long as he does what he is supposed  to and the QB hits the ground. Would you be happier if he rushed the QB and got blocked and by a TE and neither guy gets the sack?

On 8/20/2019 at 7:34 AM, More Cowbell said:

From everything I'm seeing, he has beast written all over him. He is now playing against savvy  NFL OL and he is not getting pushed around. That is what you want to see at this stage. Give him a year to learn how to handle guys. This guy can be as good as anyone at his position.  

I think QW is the goods

All these haters jizzing on Chase Winowicks or whatever his name now upset we are enthusiastic about QW bitches pls