Kiss Cannon's scrawny ass good-bye

hmhertz

I've been banging my head against the wall ever since this little sh*t was drafted.
No instincts no moves, can't cut weakling. How could this runt be our young developmental
RB while the Eagles signed Josh Adams as a FA. Now we have Adams. JA set the ND freshman
rushing record, ran for more than 1400 yds as a senior averaging close to 7ds a pop for
his entire career. A better physical speciman than PJ Prosise, same 4.48 forty, more agile
beating Prosise 6.75 to 7.19 in the three cone. Eagle's rushing leader as a rookie 

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 6
  • WTF? 1

5 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

If anyone was going to be cut in favor of Adams, it would be Powell not Cannon.

I have issues with Cannon as a RB as well, but he’s arguably our best ST player, can return kicks and at least looked better as a runner this pre-season than he did all of last year.

I get that Powell is somewhat of a fan favorite, but the dude will be 31 next month and is coming off a neck injury that was thought to be career threatening until just a few months ago.

I've been a fan of Powell since the Jets drafted him. Much better RB than Cannon or McGuire. But I agree with you, if the Jets wanted an upgrade specifically at RB, it's Powell who'd be replaced. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, slats said:

I've been a fan of Powell since the Jets drafted him. Much better RB than Cannon or McGuire. But I agree with you, if the Jets wanted an upgrade specifically at RB, it's Powell who'd be replaced. 

Adams is a young back for the future, the top three aren't spring chickens.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, hmhertz said:

Adams is a young back for the future, the top three aren't spring chickens.

He’s three or four years younger than Montgomery and Bell. By the time those guys are old, Adams will be in the not spring chicken category, himself. 

I like the add. I expected him to be claimed onto a roster, not as a practice squad guy. But Cannon was the subject of your thread here, and I just don’t see Adams effecting his roster spot. 

• Upvote 1

If anyone was going to be cut in favor of Adams, it would be Powell not Cannon.
I have issues with Cannon as a RB as well, but he’s arguably our best ST player, can return kicks and at least looked better as a runner this pre-season than he did all of last year.
I get that Powell is somewhat of a fan favorite, but the dude will be 31 next month and is coming off a neck injury that was thought to be career threatening until just a few months ago.

I agree with this but also don’t think Powell is going anywhere. Gase remembers how effective Powell was when he came in the game against Miami. I bet he would think “I’m glad Bowles is an idiot and doesn’t play that guy more”. Lol

Gase likes Powell and signed him the min he was cleared by the doctors. I’m not saying Powell is a lock but he’s not on the bubble either. That said, Powell goes before cannon due to his incredible Chris Burkett like ST prowess. Cannon has found his niche and could also play RB if the walls came crumbling down. He’s valuable.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

32 minutes ago, Lith said:

Exactly.

496.  That is how many special teams plays we had last year.  496.  

Why is it so hard for some to grasp that there are guys on this team, (beyond just K,P and LS), who are here primarily to play specials.  Cannon led the team in ST tackles last season.  On limited snaps.  He is a very good gunner and has earned his spot based on that. 

I'm not really sure why you felt the need to state the number of special teams snaps the team had, when Trenton Cannon was on the field for 151 of those snaps. Let's not pretend that he's not replaceable simply because of his ability to run in a straight line fast.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

7 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

I'm not really sure why you felt the need to state the number of special teams snaps the team had, when Trenton Cannon was on the field for 151 of those snaps. Let's not pretend that he's not replaceable simply because of his ability to run in a straight line fast.

The kid was awesome as a gunner last year.

These guys aren’t as easily replaceable as you think. Otherwise teams around the league wouldn’t devote precious roster spots to them.

Hell, look at Matthew Slater with the Pats. They’ve carried the dude on their roster for 12 seasons now and he’s only caught one pass in his career.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Jack Straw said:

Point was that there are nearly 500 ST snaps.  This needs to be considered when filling out a roster.  There will be bottom of the roster guys on this team who primarily contribute on specials.  When you are one of the last guys on the roster and can play specials, that is your route to the team.  They kept the guy who is likely to play 200 - 300 plays on STs in 2019.   Cannon is here for his ST ability moreso than his RB ability.

• Upvote 2

Before the last couple of preseason games I might have been tempted to agree somewhat on Cannon, but the last couple of weeks the light bulb seemed to go off in his head and his between the tackles running has improved dramatically. As others have said, Bilal is the one more at risk, not Cannon.

31 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

The kid was awesome as a gunner last year.

These guys aren’t as easily replaceable as you think. Otherwise teams around the league wouldn’t devote precious roster spots to them.

Hell, look at Matthew Slater with the Pats. They’ve carried the dude on their roster for 12 seasons now and he’s only caught one pass in his career.

True, but Slater played ~70% of his team's special teams snaps to Cannon's 30%. So while I appreciate the comparison and understand your point, I'm not sure it's an apples to apples comparison. 

Cannon is good at one specific niche within the niche that is special teams: and that is being a gunner. He doesn't return kicks or punts, which limits his contributions. If he was on the field for the majority of the ST snaps, I'd understand his place on the roster....but to be a crappy RB and only be on the field for 30% of ST plays seems like a bad use of a roster spot.

11 hours ago, hmhertz said:

I've been banging my head against the wall ever since this little sh*t was drafted.
No instincts no moves, can't cut weakling. How could this runt be our young developmental
RB while the Eagles signed Josh Adams as a FA. Now we have Adams. JA set the ND freshman
rushing record, ran for more than 1400 yds as a senior averaging close to 7ds a pop for
his entire career. A better physical speciman than PJ Prosise, same 4.48 forty, more agile
beating Prosise 6.75 to 7.19 in the three cone. Eagle's rushing leader as a rookie 

Why do you seem to be so angry about it? We have a new GM and I'm convinced he'll start doing things with much more common sense in mind. Mike MacCagnan had none.

10 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

True, but Slater played ~70% of his team's special teams snaps to Cannon's 30%. So while I appreciate the comparison and understand your point, I'm not sure it's an apples to apples comparison. 

Cannon is good at one specific niche within the niche that is special teams: and that is being a gunner. He doesn't return kicks or punts, which limits his contributions. If he was on the field for the majority of the ST snaps, I'd understand his place on the roster....but to be a crappy RB and only be on the field for 30% of ST plays seems like a bad use of a roster spot.

AGREED