Rex: Baker Mayfield “overrated as hell”

Philc1

On 10/1/2019 at 10:45 AM, Villain The Foe said:

Im showing that at this point in time Baker Mayfield isnt able to shoulder the entire offense on his arm.

Hopefully by his 40th birthday which isn’t to far away ?? he can shoulder the entire offense on his arm.

• Haha 2

On 10/1/2019 at 9:37 AM, Villain The Foe said:

Phil simply reiterates what he recently hears. Rex says he's a "one-read" QB, suddenly Phil notices how Baker is a one read QB that cant go through his progressions. 

I'd like to know: How would Phil explain this past Browns game given that Odell is the #1 WR yet he tied a career low 2 catches and made a career low 20 yards? How did Odell have statistically the worst game of his career, yet Baker threw for 350 yards and completed 67% of his 30 pass attempts if he's a "one-read" guy? 

Some would be quick to mention (which has already occurred) how he targeted Jarvis Landry throughout the game, which he did. But here are the numbers. Jarvis caught 8 of Bakers 20 passes. however, 7 players caught atleast a pass from Mayfield in the game. That's pretty high for a guy who's a "one-read" type. This means that 60% of Bakers passes (the majority) was caught by 6 other players. If you add Landry and Beckham together, that means that 50% of bakers passes was caught by 5 other players. That sounds pretty distributed to me when half of your passes are being caught by guys who generally are depth guys and not within the top 4 in receiver options. This is what I mean...

Baker and the Browns was entering a game against the #1 offense and #1 in time of possession in the NFL and a team known for it's defense. 

The Browns was going into this game with 25% of it's key players out due to injury or suspension. How did Baker and the offense respond? 

Starting TE David Njoku is injured. Back up TE Ricky Seals-Jones put up 82 yards on 3 catches and a TD. 

Starting #3 WR Higgins is injured and #4 Calloway is suspended. Baker completes a combined 7 passes between his 5th & 6th WR's options along with RB's Chubb for 73 yards in order to compensate. 

And speaking of pass catching RB's, Hunt is still suspended and Duke Johnson is a Texan, so Chubb had to fill in for that role so far this season.

All this and the offense was able to put up 40 points. 

What about the Browns defense? 

Both their starting corners were out in this game. Yet the Browns held the Ravens to just 18 points, as the Ravens last TD was pretty much garbage time and the game was out of reach by then. 

Here's my take away. Baker Mayfield isnt overrated, nor is his a one-read QB, however he was being overused.  Freddie Kitchens (a guy who was also getting criticism) went back to what they did well last year, which was present more of the run into the offense along with playaction from Baker and keep his passes at the most 30 per game. 

Baker throwing 35-40 times per game when you're missing your core receivers, completing just over 50% and not establishing the running game gives the opponent the advantage immediately as it gives them the ball and time of possession. That's exactly what happened in the Titans and Rams games. With the Ravens, the Browns established the run, which established Time of possession, kept Mayfield at 30 passes, and they stomped a hole in the chest of a team that everyone was praising just a week ago. 

That's coaching. To prove that, it was coaching that lost that Rams game. Todd Monkins offense requires better Olinemen that can hold their blocks and not rack up penalties. The Browns are the complete opposite. Against the Ravens the Browns went to Freddie Kitchens offense, and what do you know? Baker was clean in the pocket throughout the game, rarely any holding calls on the Oline, the RB's have the best game of the year and so did Mayfield. 

Once the Browns coaching staff get things in order in respects of how they will approach games schematically, then we will see more consistency from Baker. And by the 2nd half of the season back will also have Higgins, Calloway and Hunt while going into the easy stretch of the season. 

Kitchens needs to keep the offense that he had last year. They dont have the personnel at the line to run Monkin's offense, nor is Baker prepared to shoulder the entire load. 

When Baker throws for 31 passes or less the Browns are 6-0, when he throws for more than 31 passes the Browns are 3-9. Dont make the game about Baker Mayfield. Establish him into a passer the way Seattle did with Wilson over multiple years. This is why Chubb and soon Hunt are here. 

C4D02FBC-0BBE-47FA-9FC8-578889033B64.jpeg.fb69733de07abe4613590170a4ed91d5.jpeg

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Not fair. I’ve been doing my best juggling to keep this and the ‘Baker’s mouth’ thread going for weeks! Although, Baker’s really helping the cause on both. 

Can’t wait to see the anointed one bash Daniel Jones again for being trash

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

Yet everyone wants to dog the sh*t out of Darnold while posting better numbers against the best secondary in the league while having the cooties oozing out of his eyeballs.

You would think Sam Darnold was Vince Young if you only read this messageboard 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Not fair. I’ve been doing my best juggling to keep this and the ‘Baker’s mouth’ thread going for weeks! Although, Baker’s really helping the cause on both. 

It's quite fair, when anyone can sit back and look at how you're suddenly no longer by yourself in that effort. 

Baker is really helping the cause, indeed. However, that's because folks prayers are being answered. 

9 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

It's quite fair, when anyone can sit back and look at how you're suddenly no longer by yourself in that effort. 

Baker is really helping the cause, indeed. However, that's because folks prayers are being answered. 

My football prayers will be answered when the Jets win a game in February.

Baker being himself (a solid starter with limited upside) never factored into my prayers. To channel the late Denny Green: he is who I thought he’d be. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Nah if my prayers were answered PM3 would be wearing Gotham green.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, greenwichjetfan said:

My football prayers will be answered when the Jets win a game in February.

Baker being himself (a solid starter with limited potential) never factored into my prayers. To channel the late Denny Green: he is who I thought he’d be. 

You have no idea what a player who's played less than 20 professional games is. 

That's your problem really. It's always these 2 constant sayings with you. #1. See, when I speak folks swear im hating. That's how you generally start off your Baker engagement. And #2. He is what you thought he was, when there's a legit chance that he could play 10 times the amount of games he's currently played.

More importantly, if you were confident in that assessment, you'd be able to simply say it and let it stand. Yet you keep saying it as if you're trying to convince yourself. 

I dont know. You're not a Baker hater, then stop mentioning what other people may think you are. It doesnt matter if you know that's not the case. 

Baker is what you thought he was, yet you must reiterate that line, more than Denny Greene. I bet he'd only have to say it once, maybe twice. 

In otherwords, I understand that's your thinking. 

3 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

You have no idea what a player who's played less than 20 professional games is. 

That's your problem really. It's always these 2 constant sayings with you. #1. See, when I speak folks swear im hating. That's how you generally start off your Baker engagement. And #2. He is what you thought he was, when there's a legit chance that he could play 10 times the amount of games he's currently played.

More importantly, if you were confident in that assessment, you'd be able to simply say it and let it stand. Yet you keep saying it as if you're trying to convince yourself. 

I dont know. You're not a Baker hater, then stop mentioning what other people may think you are. It doesnt matter if you know that's not the case. 

Baker is what you thought he was, yet you must reiterate that line, more than Denny Greene. I bet he'd only have to say it once, maybe twice. 

In otherwords, I understand that's your thinking. 

Just making sure folks have their facts straight around here. Baker is who I thought he’d be on the field, and he’s everything I hate off it. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Just making sure folks have their facts straight around here. Baker is who I thought he’d be on the field, and he’s everything I hate off it. 

The facts dont go away. They're written for everyone to see. 

You're worried about others. Seems like that's Bakers problem off the field as well. 

33 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

I love how triggered Villain is

Actually, speaking of triggered. I see multiple Baker threads in the top 5 on a Jets forum, with one of the threads dating as far back as June. 

I even see a Mark Sanchez thread higher than any thread with Darnold's name in it, and furthermore I dont even see a dedicated Darnold thread on the first page, let alone one going as far back as June. 

Trust me when I tell you that "its been clear who's triggered, and who's the trigger". 

Maybe I should go find my "All things Darnold" thread I made about a month or two ago and start bumping that as offten as Baker's big ass mouth thread gets bumped. 

The irony in it is that for the thread to be based on the mouth of Baker, all I see is Jets fans running their mouth about him, while the Jets QB also isnt playing because of what he's been doing with his mouth. 

Cant make this stuff up. 

• Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

The facts dont go away. They're written for everyone to see. 

You're worried about others. Seems like that's Bakers problem off the field as well. 

I’m only worried about you and 14, sweeties.

After the past year and half dealing with you two Baker fans - doing play by play of a Browns game in a Jets game day thread last year, countless posts actively rooting for Baker and the Browns in so many different threads, bashing Jets fans and the Jets QB while rocking Baker avatars...all of this for attention on a Jets fan forum - it’s obvious which two posters share characteristics with Baker off the field.

I’m just here to set facts straight with you two, and because of all of the above, yea maybe I enjoy reiterating how right I’ve been about Baker thus far. You calling him a system QB is the cherry on my cake.

• Upvote 4

27 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I’m only worried about you and 14, sweeties.

After the past year and half dealing with you two Baker fans - doing play by play of a Browns game in a Jets game day thread last year, countless posts actively rooting for Baker and the Browns in so many different threads, bashing Jets fans and the Jets QB while rocking Baker avatars...all of this for attention on a Jets fan forum - it’s obvious which two posters share characteristics with Baker off the field.

I’m just here to set facts straight with you two, and because of all of the above, yea maybe I enjoy reiterating how right I’ve been about Baker thus far. You calling him a system QB is the cherry on my cake.

You dealt with nothing. What you did was actively engage, and state for about a year how you're not a hater. 

Keep it real. 

And yes, play by play of a browns game in a Jets game day thread did happen, after the game ended....and not one Mod had a problem with it. You a mod? 

I've personally actively rooted for Baker and the Browns on this forum, however, never when they played the Jets and also, the last time I checked...this is also an NFL forum. Believe me, I reconfirmed that with Max. 

Jets fans bash Jets fans all the time, that didnt start happening because of Baker Avatars. 2 weeks ago I had a Baker/Darnold avatar calling them Brees/Manning 2.0, that didnt stop Jets fans, including yourself to jump in on the bashing, quoting me numerous times. 

Im not with all this victim mentality buffoonery. Folks who engage in such activity cant turn and play victim. I speak to Crusher all the time regarding Mayfield and the Browns. Why is it that he never feels some sort of way about my engagement with him? Probably because he doesnt engage and participate in sh*t that he's going to turn around and claim to be the victim of. 

You're not here to set facts straight, you're here to take your turn, which would be respected if you had the balls to just f'ing do it, like JIF for example. Last week while folks ran with tales in between their legs or was around with damage control and excuses, JIF said "F Baker and who ever likes him". He kept the same energy. 

You dont see me and JIF playing victim talking about what other posters do on a forum which isnt braking any sort of rule. Actually what ended up happening is we joked about how Gardner Minshew is a better QB than Baker. Why? Because he feels his way, doesnt sway like the wind, and dont do nonsense like what you're trying to pull off here. 

And you should never call another man or men "sweeties". That's worse than being an active participant playing a fake victim. 

You can have the floor from here man. Too much fake emotions going on here. Like a crisis actor lol.