Jamal Adams Draft Position

Do You Give A Flying F What Position Adams Was Drafted?  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Give A Flying F What Position Adams Was Drafted?

• Yes - It is important to remind everyone every time Adams is mentioned.
    • No - What's done is done and I like it when the Jets have good players.

5 minutes ago, CTM said:

[X] Op doesn't understand that his draft position will greatly impact upcoming contract negotiation

His next contract negotiation should have zero to do with his draft position as far as the Jets are concerned. The Jets need to figure out his projected value over the term of the contract, and offer him that. If he takes it, great, if he doesnt, move on. Overpaying a player based on their draft slot is something a terrible organization would do. If Douglas is so bad as to do that, it doesnt matter what they pay Adams, because the team is doomed for Douglas' tenure either way.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, FireTheJohnsons said:

His next contract negotiation should have zero to do with his draft position as far as the Jets are concerned. 

Yet that's not how any of this works.  Top Safety money is about $14M a year.  He'll want that or he'll walk.  And in no universe should we pay a Safety that amount when we need a brand new OL, 1-2 EDGE rushers, a CB1 and at least one more WR1/WR2.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, LockeJET said:

The real question should be, what if Marcus Maye continues to emerge and you can only sign one?

Considering we're 10-27 with this amazing Safety duo, I'd say....re-sign neither.  

If I HAD to choose 1, I take Maye, since he won't command $14M+ per season.  

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, FireTheJohnsons said:

His next contract negotiation should have zero to do with his draft position as far as the Jets are concerned. The Jets need to figure out his projected value over the term of the contract, and offer him that. If he takes it, great, if he doesnt, move on. Overpaying a player based on their draft slot is something a terrible organization would do. If Douglas is so bad as to do that, it doesnt matter what they pay Adams, because the team is doomed for Douglas' tenure either way.

Yea sure, but it's going to drive what he asks for and believes he's worth. I said this in another thread that instigated this whiny thread,  but Marcus Maye was drafted 1 round later and his total contract is 4M compared to 22M for JA. So the starting point for negotiation is going to be much much higher with Jamal. Additionally, being a top pick and having a 22M contract makes him more well known, allowing him to parlay it into more jersey sales, more social media followers, more media coverage, more pro bowls etc.. all of which will be used in contract demands.

What if JD grades them out based solely on on field impact to be worth 5M a year, Maye would be getting a massive pay increase whereas Adams a cut. That is the issue.

These things don't exist in a vacuum.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yet that's not how any of this works.  Top Safety money is about $14M a year.  He'll want that or he'll walk.  And in no universe should we pay a Safety that amount when we need a brand new OL, 1-2 EDGE rushers, a CB1 and at least one more WR1/WR2.  

Reading comprehension is very powerful.... The Jets should offer him what they think he is worth moving forward, and nothing more. What he is worth has zero to do with where he was drafted. If the Jets deem him to be worth 12m thats what they should offer, if its 10m, thats what they should offer.  Its exactly how it should work, and does work with good teams. Bart Scott was an UDFA I believe, or at least a late round pick. He got a huge contract, because of his value, not based on where he was or wasnt drafted......

1 minute ago, FireTheJohnsons said:

Reading comprehension is very powerful.... The Jets should offer him what they think he is worth moving forward, and nothing more. What he is worth has zero to do with where he was drafted. If the Jets deem him to be worth 12m thats what they should offer, if its 10m, thats what they should offer.  Its exactly how it should work, and does work with good teams. Bart Scott was an UDFA I believe, or at least a late round pick. He got a huge contract, because of his value, not based on where he was or wasnt drafted......

Cool.  Jamal will turn that down, and then we get nothing out of him but maybe a compensatory pick.  Or he'll accept it and we're stuck paying a Box Safety/LB $10-$12M per year.  That money is best used elsewhere.  

I prefer to trade him ahead of time so we can fill needs that aren't luxury positions.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, CTM said:

Yea sure, but it's going to drive what he asks for and believes he's worth. I said this in another thread that instigated this whiny thread,  but Marcus Maye was drafted 1 round later and his total contract is 4M compared to 22M fpr JA. So the starting point for negotiation is going to be much much higher with Jamal. Additionally, being a top pick and having a 22M contract makes him more well known, allowing him to parlay it into more jersey sales, more social media followers, more media coverage, more pro bowls etc.. all of which will be used in contract demands.

What if JD grades them out based solely on on field impact to be worth 5M a year, Maye would be getting a massive pay increase whereas Adams a cut. That is the issue.

These things don't exist in a vacuum.

I could care less what he asks for. Ultimately he will get the highest perceived value that an NFL team will offer him, with whatever team that is. If Jets value him at 10m per year, and someone else values him at 14m per year, he will go somewhere else. His draft slot has absolutely zero to do with his value moving forward. Any GM that pays out a contract based on draft slot will not be a GM for very long. Hopefully Douglas is not that type of GM.

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Cool.  Jamal will turn that down, and then we get nothing out of him but maybe a compensatory pick.

I prefer to trade him ahead of time so we can fill needs that aren't luxury positions.  

yeah, that is whats going to happen for sure, and it will have zero to do with his draft slot, and everything to do with what some team will pay for him..

Indeed, that is what they should do the second they sense the contract negotiations are leaving a big gap between his perceived value, and the Jets perceived value. This isnt rocket science, and has nothing to do with draft slot.

Just now, FireTheJohnsons said:

His draft slot has absolutely zero to do with his value moving forward. Any GM that pays out a contract based on draft slot will not be a GM for very long. Hopefully Douglas is not that type of GM.

You're misunderstanding.  It's what JAMAL perceives his value to be, not the GM, that's in question here.

Jamal was taken # 6 overall, and the top Safeties all make $14M per or more.  He and his agent will view himself in that category.  His draft position plays at least a small role because he entered the league with a high pedigree, and nothing in his mind has reduced his value to this point.  

• Upvote 1

yeah, that is whats going to happen for sure, and it will have zero to do with his draft slot, and everything to do with what some team will pay for him..

Indeed, that is what they should do the second they sense the contract negotiations are leaving a big gap between his perceived value, and the Jets perceived value. This isnt rocket science, and has nothing to do with draft slot.

It's indeed not rocket science, yet somehow you're misunderstanding the points being made by multiple people and just repeating the same thing over and over.  

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

You're misunderstanding.  It's what JAMAL perceives his value to be, not the GM, that's in question here.

Jamal was taken # 6 overall, and the top Safeties all make $14M per or more.  He and his agent will view himself in that category.  His draft position plays at least a small role because he entered the league with a high pedigree, and nothing in his mind has reduced his value to this point.  

Im not misunderstanding anything at all, you are my friend..... Nobody cares what Jamal perceives his value to be. Hackenberg can perceive himself as a 2nd round dradftred QB and ask for that type of money. No GM in the league will agree, and will laugh their asses off, so it means nothing. Draft value means nothing, perceived value means everything. What a player asks for and gets are not equal

2 minutes ago, FireTheJohnsons said:

I could care less what he asks for. Ultimately he will get the highest perceived value that an NFL team will offer him, with whatever team that is. If Jets value him at 10m per year, and someone else values him at 14m per year, he will go somewhere else. His draft slot has absolutely zero to do with his value moving forward. Any GM that pays out a contract based on draft slot will not be a GM for very long. Hopefully Douglas is not that type of GM.

Kind of a simplistic take. Getting lots of air time, having a large social media following and lots of jersey sales will impact perceived value most importantly in the mind of JA but also in the Johnsons and other no nothing owners. The NFL is a business.

• Upvote 1

Im not misunderstanding anything at all, you are my friend..... Nobody cares what Jamal perceives his value to be. Hackenberg can perceive himself as a 2nd round dradftred QB and ask for that type of money. No GM in the league will agree, and will laugh their asses off, so it means nothing. Draft value means nothing, perceived value means everything. What a player asks for and gets are not equal

Have you ever been involved in a negotiation where you want a deal to happen but have a cap on what you are willing to pay? If so, you should understand what the person on the opposite side of the table perceives thier value to be has a huge impact on negotiations.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Thats a big part of it, but another big part is a guy like Jones or Synder who will willing overpay because he's Presmal 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Actually it doesn't matter where any player was drafted anymore. LOL. Almost any player due for a contract gets the next highest amount just because. Not based on performance or accomplishments. 

Yes Jamal is going to get the top safety money when his deal is up. NFL business model of 2019. 

I don't know why everyone concerns themselves with this like they have a say. If Joe Douglas doesn't pay him fine, but don't have a massive drop off in the new player. If Joe Douglas does pay him fine the you can cry about it.

I am over hearing people complain about the same things on this board for the last 3 years.

Yes, Mac sucked, we know. He is gone. Yes Bowles blew and needed to go. Both are gone the page has turned what's done is done.

I wanted to draft Mahomes at 6. I don't sit here and bitch about it, we have Sam and I am happy with that. Move along

5 minutes ago, Stark said:

I wanted to draft Mahomes at 6. I don't sit here and bitch about it, we have Sam and I am happy with that. Move along

I'm happy with Sam too.  Not as happy as I'd be with Mahomes, but happy all the same.  I'll "move along" as soon as people stop getting heavily triggered whenever I have the audacity to suggest we should trade the great Jamal Adams.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, SR24 said:

For a fan base that's suffered through years of talentless rosters and missed draft picks I don't understand the hate Jamal gets all the time

It's been explained numerous times.  Your inability to understand it is not our fault.  

I've also complained about guys like Leo, Polite, Darron Lee, etc. profusely.  So I also don't understand why people think we're laying into Adams alone.  

I'm pretty much sick of this debate. The guy is an all pro. Who the F cares at this point. Mahomes nor Watson (Who I wanted) would not have turned into the players they are now if they had been drafted by the Jets so F it. We have Darnold who is my mind is gonna be a stud and let's go out and start winning some damn games