Give Gase a Chance

7 minutes ago, CTM said:

I'm saying that there are plenty of great candidates that would want the job. Our recent history of poor results is not a deterrent for the vast majority of candidates. Any of these guys that make it this far have tremendous egos and think they will suceed where otehrs failed + again, it's one of 32 opportunities on the entire planet.

We went through this last offseason, you said nobody would want the job and then the most qualified candidate publiclly declared "take me I'm yours" only to be told nah I'm good.

Mike McCarthy wanted $8 million dollars and full control and management opted to keep Mike Maccagnan instead and the alleged “most qualified candidate” is on the street to this very day. 

17 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

So, you’re both saying that the Jets head coaching job is burdened by an exceedingly dysfunctional and career-killing upper management structure that dissuades top-tier candidates from considering or taking the job, but otherwise plenty of great candidates would want the job(?)

Why not just keep Todd Bowles forever? 

6 minutes ago, CTM said:

Right, and fair. I don't support it either unless it turns into a complete debacle where the team isn't even showing up. I don't think that is going to happen though

The taste of MNF is nasty.  It's hard to get rid of it but this team is closer to who we saw vs. the Bills and Cowboys with Darnold than they are vs. what we saw vs. Patriots.  That D is ridiculous and BB eats guys like Gase for lunch on the reg.  Other than the Bills, they've blown every team they've played out by 30 points.  

Of the remaining games this season, the only one the Jets really dont stand a chance is @ Baltimore.  I'm not an attention whore boob and predicting playoffs but I think the Jets are between 6-10 and 8-8 by season end.

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Miami is currently the worst roster in the league built by Tannenbaum and a GM who, like Maccagnan, will never be a GM again. The Jets are the second worst roster in the league. Gase went from one horrible situation to another. If you want to blame Gase for something, blame him for his poor career choices

I though Gase had control of the roster in Miami?

image.png.95f7177fc480541cd23838270acafca4.png

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Mike McCarthy wanted $8 million dollars and full control and management opted to keep Mike Maccagnan instead and the alleged “most qualified candidate” is on the street to this very day. 

I don't know what your point is.

Does nobody want the job or did a HC with a winning record and a lombardi on his resume put on his push up bra and **** me pumps and make extra trips to the water cooler in front of CJ's office in hopes of getting noticed?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jetscode1 said:

I though Gase had control of the roster in Miami?

image.png.95f7177fc480541cd23838270acafca4.png

Tannenbaum is rife with nonsense bullsh*t, but Gase—also shown to be FOS—said he didn’t have roster control in Miami and he doesn’t consider it part of a coach’s job, so who knows? Bottom line is that we know the Jets roster was horrendous before Gase walked in the door, and we know the Dolphins roster is the worst in the league. I don’t think Gase dragged Joe Douglas over here and got Chris Johnson to hand him a huge deal if Douglas was going to be a coffee boy for him. 

7 minutes ago, JiF said:

Of the remaining games this season, the only one the Jets really dont stand a chance is @ Baltimore.  I'm not an attention whore boob and predicting playoffs but I think the Jets are between 6-10 and 8-8 by season end.

100%. I think 6-10 with 9 games being easily winnable

12 hours ago, SAR I said:

No, we embraced Gase because we were sick and tired of defensive rookie head coaches coming in here and sh:tting the bed.  When you find out the value of a second term head coach who has cut his teeth elsewhere is when he faces adversity, like now.

So we watch the next 7 games very closely, Jets are either on an even playing field or slightly favored against all 7 teams, and then we see where we are when it's over on December 8.  If we aren't 7-6 or 6-7 be disappointed, cry all you want.  Until then.  Shhhh.

SAR I

Wasn't there an entire thread about "Gase's great record against NE" when he was hired? And that being the reason the genius owners hired him?

1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

“The Jets are a toxic waste dump that consistently makes poor head coaching hires, except for the socially dysfunctional creep with the 23-25 career record, who we should all lay off and give a chance to”

The difference is that this socially dysfunctional creep knifed Maccagnan right off the bat so at least he seems to have a sense of awareness about the challenges ahead. Getting rid of the terrorist GM and convincing a presumably qualified candidate to replace him are major positive things that wouldn’t happen pre-Gase, so let’s see where it leads.

Just now, T0mShane said:

The difference is that this socially dysfunctional creep knifed Maccagnan right off the bat so at least he seems to have a sense of awareness about the challenges ahead. Getting rid of the terrorist GM and convincing a presumably qualified candidate to replace him are major positive things that wouldn’t happen pre-Gase, so let’s see where it leads.

Yeah, but by your description only a loser would come here because the job is so bad. So it's safe to assume Gase and Douglas are both losers, no?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I agree with all of this. My point is just that “this franchise makes terminally stupid decisions and is thus radioactive to qualified coaching candidates” and “let’s give Adam Gase a chance” seem mutually exclusive.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, CTM said:

I don't know what your point is.

Does nobody want the job or did a HC with a winning record and a lombardi on his resume put on his push up bra and **** me pumps and make extra trips to the water cooler in front of CJ's office in hopes of getting noticed?

Two points: 

1. McCarthy sucks and nobody hired him and nobody will hire him. The dude leaves Green Bay and now they’re a contending team.

2. McCarthy wanted the job under conditions that don’t exist within the job, making his supposed willingness to take this job (as currently constituted) null. I would like to take a very high paying job at Walmart where I’m promised supermodel lap dances every hour, but unfortunately Walmart doesn’t offer that particular job. 

2 minutes ago, CTM said:

Yeah, but by your description only a loser would come here because the job is so bad. So it's safe to assume Gase and Douglas are both losers, no?

2 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I agree with all of this. My point is just that “this franchise makes terminally stupid decisions and is thus radioactive to qualified coaching candidates” and “let’s give Adam Gase a chance” seem mutually exclusive.

A quick aside: I didn’t want Adam Gase here, at all. I wanted them to hire a VP of Football Ops that could come in and shake out the bullsh*t elements of the job. We didn’t get that, but we got something similar. Gase seems to be a no-bullsh*t guy. The worst case scenario with Gase is that we lose for two years and he gets fired, but now we have Joe Douglas and Chris Johnson becoming aware that good personnel people cost a lot of money. The alternative is that we had Mike Maccagnan ending Matt Rhule’s professional life four years from now and nothing changes.

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Two points: 

1. McCarthy sucks and nobody hired him and nobody will hire him. The dude leaves Green Bay and now they’re a contending team.

2. McCarthy wanted the job under conditions that don’t exist within the job, making his supposed willingness to take this job (as currently constituted) null. I would like to take a very high paying job at Walmart where I’m promised supermodel lap dances every hour, but unfortunately Walmart doesn’t offer that particular job. 

Link to McCarthy's supposed demands? Where are you getting this?

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

A quick aside: I didn’t want Adam Gase here, at all. I wanted them to hire a VP of Football Ops that could come in and shake out the bullsh*t elements of the job. We didn’t get that, but we got something similar. Gase seems to be a no-bullsh*t guy. The worst case scenario with Gase is that we lose for two years and he gets fired, but now we have Joe Douglas and Chris Johnson becoming aware that good personnel people cost a lot of money. The alternative is that we had Mike Maccagnan ending Matt Rhule’s professional life four years from now and nothing changes.

Your worst case scenario assumes Douglass is highly qualified, but your nobody respectable would take this job position would seem to contradict that. Which is it?

17 minutes ago, Warfish said:

So?  What difference does that make to you?  It's not like you have to pay it.

The Johnsons weren’t going to pay him $8 million dollars and nobody else was either. The point in question was that nobody would take the job. McCarthy—who nobody wanted—would take the job if you paid him twice what the Jets might have paid for a coach.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

The taste of MNF is nasty.  It's hard to get rid of it but this team is closer to who we saw vs. the Bills and Cowboys with Darnold than they are vs. what we saw vs. Patriots.  That D is ridiculous and BB eats guys like Gase for lunch on the reg.  Other than the Bills, they've blown every team they've played out by 30 points.  

Very rationale post - but the loss Monday night wasn't what worried.  Heck, getting blown out wasn't what scared me....

It's the way Darnold looked that's most troubling.  I was super high on the kid and thought he was way more advanced than the things he did Monday night.   Growing pains are one thing, I get what BB does to young QB's (especially when he has 11 days) but that was one of the worst QB's performances I've ever seen.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Douglas took the job because Gase got him paid. No Gase, no Douglas. 

Round and round we go.

I agree with you on Gsse. I think the fact that he made a beeline for Mac is encouraging.

Still, being able to identify a problem doesnt neccesarily mean you are the right guy to fix it.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

Very rationale post - but the loss Monday night wasn't what worried.  Heck, getting blown out what was scared me....

It's the way Darnold looked that's most troubling.  I was super high on the kid and thought he was way more advanced than the things he did Monday night.   Growing pains are one thing, I get what BB does to young QB's (especially when he has 11 days) but that was one of the worst QB's performances I've ever seen.

Agree.  This is what is beginning to scare the sh!t out of me about Gase.  If Sam shows growth over the next 10 games, then fine, give Gase another season.  But Monday night was so bad.  Sam looked awful.  If we are going to see more regression out of Sam over the remainder of the season, then get Gase out of here and bring in someone else and see if they can help Sam grow. 

It is a bit of a catch 22, because on the one hand, do you want Sam to have his 3rd OC, 3rd QB coach, 3rd offense in 3 years.  But if he regresses under Gase, then they might have to move on.

I guess what I am saying is I will give Gase the rest of the season to show what he can do with Darnold, hope Monday night was an aberration, and make the decision after the season.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, CTM said:

Round and round we go.

I agree with you on Gsse. I think the fact that he made a beeline for Mac is encouraging.

Still, being able to identify a problem doesnt neccesarily mean you are the right guy to fix it.

Agreed. And the early returns aren’t great. But firing him after one year of this only makes it worse, imo 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Honestly, that is BS. You're  basically saying when we have tough opponents, Gase gets a pass, but now that there are games we should win, the season starts?

When Falk was the QB, I can somewhat see that as an excuse, but we were at close to full strength  with Dallas and pretty much full with NE. Agaisnt Dallas, Gase couldn't  muster more than 3 points in the second half when Dallas was roaring back, and against NE, and a bunch of other games, Gase had no answer for the blitz. At some point you have to know it's  coming and have a counter ready. It's  pretty simple that was being out coached by someone  Gase should be pretty familiar with. 

Another thing, Gase barely even try's to run Bell consistently. I know we were playing from behind most of the games but in Dallas we had a lead and I believe Bell was not grinding in the second half. To the contrary, it was exactly what Dallas was doing to us. 

To your point, this team better show up for the remainder of the season. Against this cakewalk schedule we now have, he better be thinking run the table here.

We upset Dallas and lost to the Patriots.  We had the Bills beaten before the D choked away a 16 point lead.  Cleveland sucks.

You do realize that if Sam Darnold didn't have mono and CJ Mosely didn't have a groin that the New York Jets would be 3-3 today, right?  Or does your SOJF DNA prevent this?

SAR I

• Post of the Week 1

58 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Very rationale post - but the loss Monday night wasn't what worried.  Heck, getting blown out wasn't what scared me....

No doubt.  It was alarming and I'm definitely not as confident as I once was in Darnold but as usual, he was never as good and he's not as bad, as we think he is right now.  His last 6 games before that stinker were pretty good to great.  I think he's somewhere in between there and not the worst QB in the league like he looked vs. the Pats.  As I've mentioned before, I think you can build a winner around Darnold.  I'm just not sure he'll ever be elite status because he clearly has long way to go on the mental side and I'm not sure that's something you develop. 

I think how he responds on the road vs. a very good defense in Jax will be telling.  

• Sympathy 1

I still wonder if much of the Gase hate is by fans who foolishly predicted 10+ wins, a division title, etc. and now want to blame Gase b/c that fantasy world has not come to pass?  That and some of the instant gratification crowd who want to win NOW despite years of massive roster mismanagement by the previous GM (and even further back).

Unless there is some huge scandal going on behind the scenes that will soon be revealed, Gase will finish out the season regardless of wins and losses going forward. FWIW, I did not like his hire and am not optimistic about him going forward.  But let's see what happens the rest of the way as the schedule gets a lot easier.

2 hours ago, JiF said:

Your emotions and feelings are cute and I'm sure make for some great pillow talk...but feelings and emotions arent how you run a franchise.  Emotions and feelings lend to stupid irrational decisions.  You dont hire someone into this absolute sh*t show of a situation and the fire them after the season.  That's moronic, like your overall stance on the situation.

You know what else is Moronic, keeping a HC around on anything other than the merits of his HC ability. It sucked in Miami and I have not seen any indication it has gotten better around here. Shutout against the Pats. You meant to tell me he couldn't get a solitary  drive together to even score a FG with a team that is about as healthy as 90% of the teams in this league? He didn't  even coach a good game against Dallas. 3 points in the second half. Why is this not noticed by you? If you are happy having a HC that is probably worse than Bowels, that is your problem but don't  come at those of us who are sick of watching this crap year in and year out. 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, JiF said:

1 hour ago, CTM said:

100%. I think 6-10 with 9 games being easily winnable

I agree there is a very good chance of that happening, but it doesn't mean a whole lot to be considering I believe Bowles just as easily could've gotten to as good or better of a record, and we're all thrilled he's gone.  Meeting the lowest of expectations is hardly inspiring stuff, although I'll admit it's likely enough for him to keep his job, regardless if that proves to be completely undeserved.

26 minutes ago, SAR I said:

We upset Dallas and lost to the Patriots.  We had the Bills beaten before the D choked away a 16 point lead.  Cleveland sucks.

You do realize that if Sam Darnold didn't have mono and CJ Mosely didn't have a groin that the New York Jets would be 3-3 today, right?  Or does your SOJF DNA prevent this?

SAR I

We didn't  even play well against Dallas. Come on. 3 points in the second half? Really? I agree that we should have won against the Bill's.