DRAFT OL

6 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

you can bring in Al Toon, if Sam is getting his ass kicked every play, WR makes NO DIFFERENCE.

No one is disputing that the OL should be a top priority.

But are you trying to claim that WR isn’t?

The only wideouts under contract for next year are Crowder, Smith, Berrios, Bellamy and a broken down Enunwa.

If the Top 3 OT’s are gone at #11, I’m not taking an OL just for the sake of taking an OL. And I’m sure as hell not taking the 4th or 5th rated OT over someone like Lamb, Jeudy or even Tee Higgins.

Besides, I can pretty much guarantee that Douglas isn’t waiting all the way until the draft to start addressing the unit. My guess is that at least one of Joe Thuney, Brandon Scherff or Jack Conklin is probably a Jet within 10 weeks.

• Upvote 3

If Whirfs falls, no brainer.  Otherwise, you take the best available WR in the 1st, OL in the 2nd,  WR or RB and OL in the 3rd.  Grab another OL in the 4th.   Then all you need is a FA or 2 to fill the holes until next offseason when the offense is completely 100% revamped and built on youth you've drafted.

Get aboard the all offense offseason train! 

• Upvote 2

Douglas has a background in the OL so I have no doubt that will be a big part of the draft.  But here is how I look at it.  We have 4 picks in the top 75-80.  We need to use at least two of those picks on the OL.  Since this draft is deep at WR we should grab another weapon for Sam.  I’m also not against grabbing an edge rusher with one of our 2 3rd rounders  since it is a big need.  I’m not saying we have to but if a good edge rush falls then we might explore that 

• Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, JiF said:

If Whirfs falls, no brainer.  Otherwise, you take the best available WR in the 1st, OL in the 2nd,  WR or RB and OL in the 3rd.  Grab another OL in the 4th.   Then all you need is a FA or 2 to fill the holes until next offseason when the offense is completely 100% revamped and built on youth you've drafted.

Get aboard the all offense offseason train! 

Agreed

I’m still not completely sold on Wirfs being a LT at the next level, but if I’m getting a potential pro-bowl RT or guard for the next decade at #11, I think that’s pretty hard to argue against.

The defense is at least competent. I’ll gladly go at least another year without a double digit sack artist coming off the edge or a lockdown corner if it means we’re investing the majority of our resources in the OL and receiving corps.

And if the Jets are truly hell bent on moving on from Bell, then I think you have to draft a RB within the first 3-4 rounds.

11 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

The only wideouts under contract for next year are Crowder, Smith, Berrios, Bellamy and a broken down Enunwa.

If the Top 3 OT’s are gone at #11, I’m not taking an OL just for the sake of taking an OL. And I’m sure as hell not taking the 4th or 5th rated OT over someone like Lamb, Jeudy or even Tee Higgins.

Besides, I can pretty much guarantee that Douglas isn’t waiting all the way until the draft to start addressing the unit. My guess is that at least one of Joe Thuney, Brandon Scherff or Jack Conklin is probably a Jet within 10 weeks.

You try and trade down and if you can’t - Yes, you take the best OL for the sake of it.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

That’s goofy

If someone like Alex Leatherwood or Austin Jackson is the best available OT when we go on the clock and Douglas has a late 1st/early 2nd grade on them, you don’t take one of them at #11 just because.

Especially when a 5’9 180 lb Jamison Crowder is currently your best wideout and you could potentially be staring someone like Lamb or Jeudy right in the face.

Yes, you do.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

WR IS.

AFTER OL.

PERIOD.

Hard after.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Yes, you do.

So you’d rather have a potentially mediocre starting LT (basically Kelvin Beachum 2.0) over a potentially dominant #1 receiver to pair with Darnold for the next 10 years?

I sure as hell wouldn’t.

Douglas is a former OL and 20 year scout. One would assume that scouting OL is his bread and butter. And that he wouldn’t feel the need to take some middling prospect in the Top 12 of the draft in order to bolster the unit.

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, southtown24th said:
The #Jets started 11 different offensive linemen and nine different line combinations. Asked if that stunted some of Sam Darnold’s potential growth. Gase said it didn’t help. I’ve been told rebuilding OL is priority No. 1, 2 and 3 for #NYJ this offseason

this is the ONLY way to do it.

E13C9255-E1B4-4C55-BF61-439364DE3C82.thumb.jpeg.b36ba9e4c2ed9743f022b72517cfeaef.jpeg

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Some of you would take a mediocre OL over a top WR simply because it's OL.

You do know that not going O-Line in the 1st doesn't prohibit the Jets from going O-Line on Day 2? You know there will be good prospects in Rounds 2/3/4 right?

This is how I know alot of y'all are clueless about the draft (and really any non Jets related football)

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

So you’d rather have a potentially mediocre starting LT (basically Kelvin Beachum 2.0) over a potentially dominant #1 receiver to pair with Darnold for the next 10 years?

I sure as hell wouldn’t.

Douglas is a former OL and 20 year scout. One would assume that scouting OL is his bread and butter. And that he wouldn’t feel the need to take some middling prospect in the Top 12 of the draft in order to bolster the unit.

No, I don’t believe the draft is that simple.  Just because he’s slotted somewhere doesn’t mean he’ll be the best better player.

I think WR’s are tricky in the first round and I think OL are in a much better position to succeed.

So yes, if you assured me it’s either a Dominant WR vs. a mediocre LT - I would take the Dominant WR

But I have little reason to believe he’ll be a dominant WR and find it likely the late 1st round grade LT will have a better career than the #11 WR.

I know it sucks - I would love a flashy guy as much as the next guy - but Mac has dug this team into such a deep hole that they have little choice but to bite the bullet and take the BOLA...

25 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Agreed

I’m still not completely sold on Wirfs being a LT at the next level, but if I’m getting a potential pro-bowl RT or guard for the next decade at #11, I think that’s pretty hard to argue against.

The defense is at least competent. I’ll gladly go at least another year without a double digit sack artist coming off the edge or a lockdown corner if it means we’re investing the majority of our resources in the OL and receiving corps.

And if the Jets are truly hell bent on moving on from Bell, then I think you have to draft a RB within the first 3-4 rounds.

I'm fine with keeping Wirfs at RT and taking him that high.  There are solid LT options still available in the later rounds and I dont think another season of Beachum is the end of the world if they dont find a week 1 replacement.  Wanogho, Steele, Cosmi, Adams - are all pretty legit LT options they can probably get in the 2nd to 3rd rounds if they got Wirfs or a WR in the 1st. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, King P said:

Some of you would take a mediocre OL over a top WR simply because it's OL.

You do know that not going O-Line in the 1st doesn't prohibit the Jets from going O-Line on Day 2? You know there will be good prospects in Rounds 2/3/4 right?

This is how I know alot of y'all are clueless about the draft (and really any non Jets related football)

Not me.  I have no issue taking a bigtime WR if they fall and the top PL are taken before us. We need both 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

No, I don’t believe the draft is that simple.  Just because he’s slotted somewhere doesn’t mean he’ll be the best better player.

I think WR’s are tricky in the first round and I think OL are in a much better position to succeed.

So yes, if you assured me it’s either a Dominant WR vs. a mediocre LT - I would take the Dominant WR

But I have little reason to believe he’ll be a dominant WR and find it likely the late 1st round grade LT will have a better career than the #11 WR.

I know it sucks - I would love a flashy guy as much as the next guy - but Mac has dug this team into such a deep hole that they have little choice but to bite the bullet and take the BOLA...

What if that's the C from Wisconsin, Biadasz? I read a very early draft report recently where a decent amount of scouts think he's the best offensive lineman in the draft.

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

The bust rate for 1st round OT’s is astronomically high over the last 15 years. And the odds of landing one of those busts only increases when you’re talking about taking the 4th or 5th rated guy in his class.

I have no idea why so many fans just automatically think of OL as “safe” picks. They’re anything but these days.

A guy like Lamb has incredible hands and has consistently shown the ability to go up and fight for those contested balls, which a guy like Robby Anderson doesn’t.

Jerry Jeudy is one of the most polished route runners to come out in recent memory and is incredibly dangerous in the open field.

I wouldn’t pass on either one of them for some 2nd/3rd tier OT who may not even be a LT in the NFL. At least not a high functioning one.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

E13C9255-E1B4-4C55-BF61-439364DE3C82.thumb.jpeg.b36ba9e4c2ed9743f022b72517cfeaef.jpeg

Hahaha...it wasn’t that they were “DTs”, they just happened to play that position.  What they all were were “consensus picks” ie the safest picks.  The kind of picks with all the built in excuses already baked into the cake after they would bust.  Those are the kind of picks a fraud “GM” uses to protect his job and that is exactly what he was doing.  I swear if a “Punter” was classified as the Consenus pick during all 5 of Maccagnan’s drafts in the 1st Rd...he would have drafted 5 punters consecutively.

When you are forced to put a prior 1st Rd pick and make him a 290 lb LB in Richardson because you keep adding to a unit where the depth chart is already going off the page, while ALL your other units are at or near the league bottom...SOMETHING IS WRONG.

The Stumblebum should have been fired the second the name “Leonard Williams” was read as a 1st Rd selection.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

Thomas

Wills

Wirfs

And what if all 3 are gone, which is a very real possibility?

We take a lesser (much lesser) player at the same position just because we’ve become utterly obsessed with improving the OL?

No thanks. Give me the top wideout in that scenario. And just because we take a WR in Round 1 doesn’t mean that we can’t improve the OL in FA and from Round 2 and on.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

The bust rate for 1st round OT’s is astronomically high over the last 15 years. And the odds of landing one of those busts only increases when you’re talking about taking the 4th or 5th rated guy in his class.

I have no idea why so many fans just automatically think of OL as “safe” picks. They’re anything but these days.

A guy like Lamb has incredible hands and has consistently shown the ability to go up and fight for those contested balls, which a guy like Robby Anderson doesn’t.

Jerry Jeudy is one of the most polished route runners to come out in recent memory and is incredibly dangerous in the open field.

I wouldn’t pass on either one of them for some 2nd/3rd tier OT who may not even be a LT in the NFL. At least not a high functioning one.

This, 100%.  And especially since this is a deep OL draft.  The Jets legit, could easily come away with 2-3 starters from this draft on the OL, even if they take a WR at #11.

• Upvote 2

At 11 the measuring stick should be “is Wirfs available?” If he’s not then either trade down to later in the first and pick up a 2nd or 3rd or take a WR named Lamb, Jeudy or Higgins. I don’t love Jeudy but he’s a more sure prospect than Leatherwood, who would be the next OT up.

55 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Agreed

Wirfs is better than any T on our roster right now.