Adam Gase's future with Jets hinges on whether he can repair broken offense

JetsLife

Jets offense - essentially the worst in the NFL this season. In what is an offensive friendly league, with all kinds of gaudy numbers being put up this year and recent years.

Yes with a tattered o-line it was near impossible to put up big numbers. But man, the Jets offense was simply awful:

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/82140/adam-gases-future-with-jets-hinges-on-whether-he-can-repair-broken-offense

A typically fair Cimini column. What's left out is this, though. Next year's lineup will feature--by necessity--new players at OLT, LG, C, RG, RT(?), WR1, WR2, and likely at RB. The guys they had at those spots this year are, at best, medicore, and at worst, not NFL caliber players. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

A typically fair Cimini column. What's left out is this, though. Next year's lineup will feature--by necessity--new players at OLT, LG, C, RG, RT(?), WR1, WR2, and likely at RB. The guys they had at those spots this year are, at best, medicore, and at worst, not NFL caliber players. 

Despite what many fans want, Gase will be here 2 years and tied to Darnold through the end of 2021. He already has a built in excuse for next year and so does Joe Douglas with how horrible the roster was/is. 2021 is the year for playoffs no matter what.

Next year will likely be a tougher schedule but we should be better roster wise and have another year in the system for all. I predict 7-9 next year with a tougher schedule and roster overhaul taking time to gel. It’s 2021 or bust at this point and that’s the right call.

Gase better start showing more though because despite him being the coach for probably 2 more years, I’m not impressed with the key areas like offense and why he was brought here. He’s don’t other things well but not what he was brought here for. 

• Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Despite what many fans want, Gase will be here 2 years and tied to Darnold through the end of 2021. He already has a built in excuse for next year and so does Joe Douglas with how horrible the roster was/is. 2021 is the year for playoffs no matter what.

Next year will likely be a tougher schedule but we should be better roster wise and have another year in the system for all. I predict 7-9 next year with a tougher schedule and roster overhaul taking time to gel. It’s 2021 or bust at this point and that’s the right call.

Gase better start showing more though because despite him being the coach for probably 2 more years, I’m not impressed with the key areas like offense and why he was brought here. He’s don’t other things well but not what he was brought here for. 

I don't think he gets another two years, tbh. I think firing him is already in the bloodstream of the base and when that happens, it's over for you unless you produce. If they're scuffling next season and Gregg is still here, they'll bounce Gase at the Bye.

11 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Nah, Gase has to win next year or he's gone. 

The guy is wildly unpopular with the fanbase and notable people in the mainstream media

• Upvote 3

I just wonder if we finish 8-8 next year will CJ fire Gase or will he say "we feel like we're close and that we're on the cusp of taking the next step.  Plus good teams have stability at HC.  He stays".

I really want to see some results next year but I don't think CJ believes in accountability.  I get the sense he'll look for any excuse to keep Gase for at least 3 years. 

Maybe WJ comes back next year?  If so, we'll have to see how ownership handles things going forward.  I wouldn't be surprised if CJ wanted to continue.  Maybe the GM, OC, and ST coaches can report to WJ while the HC and DC will report to CJ.  That sounds just screwy enough that the Johnson family would think it's a good idea.

• Upvote 1

Kotice and the Fraud are the only Jets coaches ever to finish with the worst offense in the NFL.  Both regarded as offensive guru.  That is really tough to swallow when you consider that every coaches the Jets had hired since Kotice had come from the defensive side.  This bozo manages this feat with a much better offensive roster than last year and a 2nd year QB.

• Upvote 1

I thought the offense gained some momentum in the second half of the season. so, I'm satisfied that a foundation has been lain.

How do you "fix" the offense?

• two 335 lb at OG.
  • Resign or upgrade Robby Anderson
  • Upgrade Beachum's LT spot (resign him to RT)

Darnold needs to make a big leap too:

• See the open man better
  • Use his legs more and more wisely
  • Learn not to fumble so easily
  • Avoid the big mistake (he's gotten a little better)

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I don't think he gets another two years, tbh. I think firing him is already in the bloodstream of the base and when that happens, it's over for you unless you produce. If they're scuffling next season and Gregg is still here, they'll bounce Gase at the Bye.

We will see. I def don’t see an in season firing but who the hell knows anymore. 

3 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

We will see. I def don’t see an in season firing but who the hell knows anymore. 

You know what’s going to absolutely kill Gase’s chances of survival? The fact that the Giants fired Shurmur after his second year and they’re going to end up getting an A-1 coach who’ll take that job because of Jones and Barkley. The Johnsons will think they can have the same luck, except they won’t.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I just don’t see it. I’m not a fan of Gase but I just can’t see it with this ownership group. 

This ownership group doesn't have a lot of conviction. Once the media decides that Gase's time and has come and gone, the Johnson brothers will fold, as per usual. The media would have pushed him out this year if he had lost to the Giants. 

Gase's only chance is to have a big year next year. 

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You know what’s going to absolutely kill Gase’s chances of survival? The fact that the Giants fired Shurmur after his second year and they’re going to end up getting an A-1 coach who’ll take that job because of Jones and Barkley. The Johnsons will think they can have the same luck, except they won’t.

The Giants are either going to end up with either Rhule (intriguing, but totally unproven) or McCarthy (a retread with a good resume but questionable longterm potential).

Barkley is good but plays a relatively unimportant position with a shelf life and Jones is no more proven than Darnold is. 

7 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

This ownership group doesn't have a lot of conviction. Once the media decides that Gase's time and has come and gone, the Johnson brothers will fold, as per usual. The media would have pushed him out this year if he had lost to the Giants. 

Gase's only chance is to have a big year next year. 

That’s very true. They can’t think for themselves at all. 

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

The Giants are either going to end up with either Rhule (intriguing, but totally unproven) or McCarthy (a retread with a good resume but questionable longterm potential).

Barkley is good but plays a relatively unimportant position with a shelf life and Jones is no more proven than Darnold is. 

I think coaches will look at Jones’ hot streaks and convince themselves that he’s Tony Romo, and Barkley is a self-motivated stud back with zero off-field issues. The Giants have pieces of a high-end offense, imo. I still think they end up with Belichick. It’s too perfect 

1 hour ago, JetsLife said:

Jets offense - essentially the worst in the NFL this season. In what is an offensive friendly league, with all kinds of gaudy numbers being put up this year and recent years.

Yes with a tattered o-line it was near impossible to put up big numbers. But man, the Jets offense was simply awful:

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/82140/adam-gases-future-with-jets-hinges-on-whether-he-can-repair-broken-offense

The biggest problem with the offense is Gase himself.

I said it before and so have many others...

A successful coach observes his manpower and takes note of the specific strengths and weaknesses.  From this, comes his vision and design.  He puts his players in good places for them to take advantage of their respective skill sets while safeguarding them from their deficiencies.

Gase is NOT such a coach.

Gase is going to be stubbornly and arrogantly jamming square pegs into round holes while accumulating losses and putting up embarrassing statistics until even his apologists start calling for his scalp.

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think coaches will look at Jones’ hot streaks and convince themselves that he’s Tony Romo, and Barkley is a self-motivated stud back with zero off-field issues. The Giants have pieces of a high-end offense, imo. I still think they end up with Belichick. It’s too perfect 

I could see it. I like Jones. 

I could also see the Giants/Beli thing happening. Would be one place where Beli would legit consider. 

But Rhule is my best guess. 

The thing to remember about Barkley is that he could end up being Barry Sanders (still a a long way to go on that front) and still not have been worth the #2 overall pick.

That team isn't going anywhere without an NFL defense. 

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I could see it. I like Jones. 

I could also see the Giants/Beli thing happening. Would be one place where Beli would legit consider. 

But Rhule is my best guess. 

The thing to remember about Barkley is that he could end up being Barry Sanders (still a a long way to go on that front) and still not have been worth the #2 overall pick.

That team isn't going anywhere without an NFL defense. 

Yeah, they definitely overpaid for Barkley, but that won’t mean much to the next coach. 

1 hour ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Yep, 2021 will be the year to fairly judge Gase and Sam and have a good idea how JD has performed. It's going to take two off season drafts and FA signings to recover from the horrible roster mess that Idzik and Macc left the Jets.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Interesting point.  And if Matt Ruhle is the guy and he succeeds with the Giants, it's going to make CJ look like an even bigger buffoon. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I don't think the Giants are going to get an A-1 HC after they decided to keep Gettleman.

36 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Gettleman made a mistake with Danny Dimes. Sam looked much better than Jones in their respective rookie seasons. I didn't see anything from Jones at all.

35 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Giants will end up with a rookie HC with coordinators that Gettleman chooses, that's not a recipe for success.

24 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

He will be on a very short leash next year. No one in the NY market likes him - fans, journalists and radio heads. If the offense continues to frustrate next year, he will be out of the job. 

CJ gave Douglas a six year deal so he's going to be here for at least four years. JD and Gase both share the same vision of how to build a team and they know it takes more than one year. Gase will have at least two more years unless the Jets implode. Eff what the click bait reporters and talking radio heads have to say, they have a vested interest in a failed Jets team, it gives them the platform to bash the Jets and feed the fans.