Will Jeter be unanimous? Should he be unanimous?

section314

11 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Can't wait for induction to be over so we don't have to hear about him anymore outside of whatever he's doing with the Marlins.

I know you're a Mets fan like me, so here's a little tidbit you'll get a kick out of.

St. Derek's career WAR is akin to Alan Trammel, as per the ESPN induction article tonight.

21 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Can't wait for induction to be over so we don't have to hear about him anymore outside of whatever he's doing with the Marlins.

10 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I know you're a Mets fan like me, so here's a little tidbit you'll get a kick out of.

St. Derek's career WAR is akin to Alan Trammel, as per the ESPN induction article tonight.

Greatest Yankee in 60 years.  Number 6 all time in my list.  Just enjoy the talent, leadership and class he brought.  

2 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Greatest Yankee in 60 years.  Number 6 all time in my list.  Just enjoy the talent, leadership and class he brought.  

I hear you, Jeter has a legacy every athlete dreams of having.

But you know how the Yankee/ Met fan dynamic works...

I predict that Jeter will miss 100% by 1 vote (predictions are soooo much easier after the fact)

Meanwhile, c'mon sportswriters, Bonds, Clemens and Rose are three of the greatest players in history (plus Sosa with 600+ HR's) and Bill Mazeroski with a .667 OPS is in your hall. Now don't give me "he was a great fielder" crap because of his 8 GG's. Keith had 11 and a .821 OPS. Not that I feel strongly about this.

Larry Walker? Kind of on the cusp. Helped by the ballpark more than Bonds and Sosa were helped by the juice.

Good call on Schilling, He was a good pitcher but just not a hall of famer.

How about Sheffield? 509HR . Manny? also 500+. Kent? 377HR as the dominant 2B of his era

The biggest mystery is, how the $%#$ did Chone Figgins get on the ballot in the first place.

OFFICAL ADVERTISIMENT: 

You like baseball? Check out the trivia thread. Don't like the questions asked? Then ask a few of your own. 

10 hours ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

If the person truly thinks there’s a reason to leave Jeter off their ballot then they should come out and say why. Otherwise they look like a jealous loser. 

I am sure that "jealousy" is not the issue here.

The issue is that there remains a curmudgeonly perception among sportswriters that no player deserves to be unanimously voted in because:

a). There are true all time greats that did not get unanimous votes. 

and

b). Some writers even feel that players should not be elected in their first year.

This is not a Jeter thing. Far greater players received less votes. It is a conditioning of voters. Social media has shamed many to toe a line. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

I am sure that "jealousy" is not the issue here.

The issue is that there remains a curmudgeonly perception among sportswriters that no player deserves to be unanimously voted in because:

a). There are true all time greats that did not get unanimous votes. 

and

b). Some writers even feel that players should not be elected in their first year.

This is not a Jeter thing. Far greater players received less votes. It is a conditioning of voters. Social media has shamed many to toe a line

Yes it has. Look no further than the Beltran firing.

• Upvote 1

On 1/21/2020 at 1:49 PM, Scott Dierking said:

He will be and should be.

Except for the idiocy of crotchety old baseball writers, there should have been around 50 unanimous inductees.

Are you implying people not voting for Willie Mays, Hank Aaron and Babe Ruth didn’t make sense?

• Upvote 1

On 1/21/2020 at 1:49 PM, Scott Dierking said:

He will be and should be.

Except for the idiocy of crotchety old baseball writers, there should have been around 50 unanimous inductees.

Makes no sense.

Recent guys.   How was Ken Griffey Jr. not unanimous?   No whiff of PEDs, one of the greatest, purest players I ever saw.