Jets begin contract extension talks with Jamal Adams

Rhg1084

On 2/1/2020 at 10:20 PM, jetstream23 said:

Maye is pretty good.  Jamal had the 7th best coverage grade for NFL Safeties and the Jets were ranked 16th as a team in coverage defense...

But yet people claim that Jamal is a box safety who can't cover despite him being one of the best coverage safety's within the league (SS and FS alike) and doesn't play within a box as he plays all over the defense and is utilized all over the field at every position outside of D-Line. 

If as Jet fans we can discuss Darnold not having an O-Line or WR's (because it's 100% true) well then we can also discuss Jamal Adams becoming an All-Pro (First-team) and a 2x pro bowler without having any proven CB's due to Trumaine Johnson being worthless and also having no outside pass rushers because it's dated back to 2000-2005 the last time we've had one in John Abraham etc (also true); 

Adams didn't even have C.J Mosley and Avery Williamson as his two MLB's due to season ending injuries and that was before Leonard Williams his starting DE was traded away. 

Darnold had no proven O-Lineman with a lack of receiver's - Adams had no proven coverage CB's and a lack of pass rushers...

And nothing that anyone can say regarding #33 will convince me otherwise. 

So let's talk about it.

Or was Jamal Adams still being great regardless of no help @ CB and no outside pass rushers and injuries galore to his defense just not allowed to be discussed around here? Ha!

Go talk about trading away C.J Mosley, Quinnen Williams and releasing Avery Williamson as "cap causalities" along with showing a lot respect for the Jets greatest current player while you're at it... Jamal Adams baby!

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Mosley is the best player on the team.  And even if Jamal were the best player on the team, the goal should be to do a helluva lot better than that. 

The Jets have been a defense-first franchise since 1970 and it hasn't worked out.  No chance I want to invest $35M+ on the cap on ILB and SS when we need 2 new starting WR's and at least 2 new starting OL.  

Call it a rant all you want.  The Jets will not be a successful franchise if they devote heavy resources to 2 positions on the defense that don't matter as much as CB or EDGE.  They just won't.

Disagree completely.

You guys are falling all over yourselves congratulating the new GM for stockpiling the roster this offseason with jags and placeholders on one year deals.

It's obvious he's not looking to be competitive this year, but is hoping to build through the draft. How do you do that, and then dump the best player on your team at the age of 25 because he plays safety, the only position where the Jets are viable? If he can find two good young CBs to pair with Maye and Jamal we will have a great defensive backfield for years. THAT MATTERS, and is how you build a defense. Don't even bring up names like Fant and try to compare his value to Adams, it's ridiculous.

Same thing with Darnold. He hasn't accomplished a thing in two years. Don't get me started with the price we paid to acquire him. He hasn't performed half as well as Adams has, and he's the one you should be ranting about. You know, premium position and all... 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

But yet people claim that Jamal is a box safety who can't cover despite him being one of the best coverage safety's within the league (SS and FS alike) and doesn't play within a box as he plays all over the defense and is utilized all over the field at every position outside of D-Line. 

If as Jet fans we can discuss Darnold not having an O-Line or WR's (because it's 100% true) well then we can also discuss Jamal Adams becoming an All-Pro (First-team) and a 2x pro bowler without having any proven CB's due to Trumaine Johnson being worthless and also having no outside pass rushers because it's dated back to 2000-2005 the last time we've had one in John Abraham etc (also true). 

Adams didn't even have C.J Mosley and Avery Williamson as his two MLB's due to season ending injuries and that was before Leonard Williams his starting DE was traded away. 

Darnold had no proven O-Lineman with a lack of receiver's - Adams had no proven coverage CB's and a lack of pass rushers...

And nothing that anyone can say regarding #33 will convince me otherwise. 

So let's talk about it.

Or is Jamal Adams still being great regardless of no help @ CB and no outside pass rushers and injuries galore to his defense just not allowed to be discussed around here? Ha!

No matter how long you make your posts, it doesn't matter. Same old nonsense each time. To compare a safety to a franchise QB is not only ridiculous, but ignorant. If this so called leader, or prez, or whatever he calls himself nowadays is willing to accept a fair contract, I'm all for signing him, if not, then get what you can for him and move on!

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

6 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Same thing with Darnold. He hasn't accomplished a thing in two years. Don't get me started with the price we paid to acquire him. He hasn't performed half as well as Adams has, and he's the one you should be ranting about. You know, premium position and all... 

Adams has 2 INT's in 3 years.

Darnold at least has the CHANCE to move the needle in a meaningful way for this franchise.  If he can even become a top 20 QB he'll be worthy of an extension.  I'll never argue he's accomplished anything so far and you're going off on the wrong guy if that's what you're after. 

Adams, at his best, can mostly only make plays against the likes of Daniel Jones and Dwayne Haskins.  

Complain about me talking Jamal all you want, you turn an awful lot of threads into conversations about Darnold and Mayfield.  This is a Jamal Adams thread dude.  lol.

12 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Disagree completely.

You guys are falling all over yourselves congratulating the new GM for stockpiling the roster this offseason with jags and placeholders on one year deals.

It's obvious he's not looking to be competitive this year, but is hoping to build through the draft. How do you do that, and then dump the best player on your team at the age of 25 because he plays safety, the only position where the Jets are viable? If he can find two good young CBs to pair with Maye and Jamal we will have a great defensive backfield for years. THAT MATTERS, and is how you build a defense. Don't even bring up names like Fant and try to compare his value to Adams, it's ridiculous.

Agree on Darnold. But Adams, even considering his accolades to date, was a mistake to pick at 6. If you can turn him into a draft pick that yields a more important position I think it's a move you have to make. This is a good draft for oline and receiver- getting both in the first round and taking the chance they pan out is way more valuable than whatever Adams' impact is.

10 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Darnold at least has the CHANCE to move the needle in a meaningful way for this franchise.  If he can even become a top 20 QB he'll be worthy of an extension.  I'll never argue he's accomplished anything so far and you're going off on the wrong guy if that's what you're after. 

Ok, I cropped the nonsense out of your reply. You're correct about you not being one of the guys who argues about Darnold accomplishing anything. I've never seen you do that. I brought up Darnold because like Adams he's a very high 1st round pick (plus we gave up 3 2nd round picks to get him).

Yet you never go after him for accomplishing nothing in two years. yet you constantly crusade against Adams. Why is that? I can't imagine the way you'd go after Adams if he performed like Darnold has.

LMAO at him deserving a second deal for becoming a TOP TWENTY QB and wanting to get rid of the best player on the team.

I'll say it again, 80. You're a smart guy. People here listen to you. Show some stones and go after Darnold half as hard as you do Adams, and I'll listen to your argument about Jamal. Until then, no. you're just ranting.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Ok, I cropped the nonsense out of your reply. You're correct about you not being one of the guys who argues about Darnold accomplishing anything. I've never seen you do that. I brought up Darnold because like Adams he's a very high 1st round pick (plus we gave up 3 2nd round picks to get him).

Yet you never go after him either for accomplishing nothing in two years. yet you constantly crusade against Adams. Why is that? I can't imagine the way you'd go after Adams if he performed like Darnold has.

LMAO at him deserving a second deal for becoming a TOP TWENTY QB and wanting to get rid of the best player on the team.

I'll say it again, 80. You're a smart guy 80, people here listen to you. Show some stones and go after Darnold half as hard as you do Adams, and I'll listen to your argument about Jamal. Until then, no. you're just ranting.

Darnold has shown enough flashes where I'm not going to hammer the guy yet.  It makes a difference in that argument that Darnold has played 2 years and Adams has played 3.  It doesn't help Adams' case that he calls himself the "prez" and texted Ryan Clark that he'd like to be in Dallas, either.

However, Year 3 will be a crucial one, and there will be zero excuses left.  If he isn't a top 20 QB in 2020, we've got major problems.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, Matt39 said:

Agree on Darnold. But Adams, even considering his accolades to date, was a mistake to pick at 6. If you can turn him into a draft pick that yields a more important position I think it's a move you have to make. This is a good draft for oline and receiver- getting both in the first round and taking the chance they pan out is way more valuable than whatever Adams' impact is.

I agree we can question taking him where we did, especially since we took Maye in the second.

However, that's not Adams fault, is it?

As far as a trade? I'm okay with that, but I'm not ok with trading a 25 year old All Pro at ANY position for a single draft pick. If we could get what JD was rumored to be asking last year ( a very good OL and a 1st ). fine, I could go for that.  Don't give me that 1st and a 3rd or 4th stuff though.

Adams is one of the best players in the leagu. If you're going to trade him, you have to get a haul.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

26 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Well, thankfully you're not Joe Douglas because Joe Douglas himself obviously feels much different than you do -

Which is why Joe Douglas refused/turned down/declined and rejected Jerry Jones offerings of a 1st round pick (and another day 3 pick) for Jamal Adams while Jerry Jones was looking for his next Darren Woodson (the leader and heart and soul of his defense throughout the 1990's).

And because of Joe Douglas knowing how to listen to offers before saying no; Jamal Adams is still a Jet as of today (and will be one for a very long time before entering the Hall of Fame one day). 

Last but not least the Strong Safety position is an extremely important position on defense: And I can create a list of a lot of awesome Hall of Fame Strong Safeties (regardless of era) who've helped lead their defenses to a lot of Super Bowl(s).

Darren Woodson is one of them which is why Jerry Jones is currently still in search of his next great super star Strong Safety and even willing to give up multiple draft picks including a 1st rounder in order his next SS too.

1 minute ago, 14 in Green said:

I agree we can question taking him where we did, especially since we took Maye in the second.

As far as a trade? I'm okay with that, but I'm not ok with trading a 25 year old All Pro at ANY position for a single draft pick. If we could get what JD was rumored to be asking last year ( a very good OL and a 1st ). fine, I could go for that.  Don't give me that 1st and a 3rd or 4th stuff though.

Adams is one of the best players in the leagu. If you're going to trade him, you have to get a haul.

Yeah that I dont agree with at all. Getting Dallas' first rounder for the opportunity to either get oline or receiver high in this draft is worth more than Jamal Adams. Dallas isnt giving up Martin or Smith for Adams. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Agreed.  Look I’m not a huge Adams fan but you can’t deny his talent.  I agree we would need a haul.  I did mention at the absolute minimum I would take a 1st and a third this year but I still would want more ideally 

53 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If he plays a non-premium position like Jamal, yes.  You are correct that I am not impressed.  Just like I'm not impressed if someone were to tell me he's the world's best VCR repairman.

If Sam Darnold or George Fant become All-Pros next year; now we're talking.

You're doing that thing where you insecurities are showing so hard that you dont stop until you reach moronville.   How can you claim to be a die hard sports fan but you're not impressed with a player who ascends to the best at their position because it's not deemed "premium".   lmfao.  That doesnt even make sense the slightest bit of sense.  Do you realize how long the list of all time great legendary HOF players careers you've basically just took a sh*t on with that one post?  lmfao

20 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

il_570xN.912874053_ousn.jpg.111f1263df6978b85b622c26b70b377d.jpg

Is this your go to face mask? 

I have to admit, I have no idea how me defending the best player on the Jets brought you to a place where you decided to post this, but whatever... 

btw. do they really sell those things?

• Thumb Down 1

39 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

9379E191-39E7-4694-B74A-C459ADA60499.png

They should've included his pass coverage grades which rank as top 7 amongst all Strong and Free Safeties with a much higher coverage rating than most #1 CB's. 

"Box Safety". 

His 10 tackles for loss behind the line of scrimmage ranked #1 amongst all outside CB's, Nickel/Dime backs, Free Safeties and Strong Safeties alike within the secondary. 

"Non impact SS". 

19 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

They should've included his pass coverage grades which rank as top 7 amongst all Strong and Free Safeties with a much higher coverage rating than most #1 CB's. 

"Box Safety". 

His 10 tackles for loss behind the line of scrimmage ranked #1 amongst all outside CB's, Nickel/Dime backs, Free Safeties and Strong Safeties alike within the secondary. 

"Non impact SS". 

Ha!

Well sh-t.  Now I find myself agreeing with DWC.  You'd think the world was ending or something...

• Post of the Week 1

Despite Jamal Adams not being a Defensive End and/or Linebacker; 

Jamal Adams still either tied with and/or ranked ahead of the likes such as Jadeveon Clowney, Von Miller, Demarcus Lawrence, Lavonte David, Terrell Suggs, Ndamukong Suh, Calais Campbell and Khalil Mack for Tackles for Loss behind the Line of Scrimmage!

But yet people label him as a non impact player? Horse crap lol. 

Despite Jamal Adams being a secondary player and not being paid to line up each and every play to get into the backfield he still does it just as great as some of the great LB's and DE's within the game today ala living within an opponents backfield and lining up all over the football field (unlike LB's and DE's). 

Jamal Adams is re-creating the SS position into one of the most dominant positions to play on defense and more versatile than "just a pass rusher". 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JiF said:

You're doing that thing where you insecurities are showing so hard that you dont stop until you reach moronville.   How can you claim to be a die hard sports fan but you're not impressed with a player who ascends to the best at their position because it's not deemed "premium".   lmfao.  That doesnt even make sense the slightest bit of sense.  Do you realize how long the list of all time great legendary HOF players careers you've basically just took a sh*t on with that one post?  lmfao

Do you salivate this much over the game's top Fullback?  

No, I'm not impressed, because even if he's one of the top Safeties in the game and one of the 2 best players on the team, that still puts him well outside the Top 50 overall players in the game.  He's basically the Sheldon Richardson of Safeties.  Cool. 

I'm glad he's had a very good career so far.  That doesn't make him worth $17M+ per season.  And he's a valuable trade chip to help us in areas that actually matter in the W-L column.  

25 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Well sh-t.  Now I find myself agreeing with DWC.  You'd think the world was ending or something...

Can you believe the kid as a SECONDARY PLAYER and not even a DE/DT/OLB/MLB etc either tied with and/or ranked ahead of the likes of Jadeveon Clowney, Von Miller, Demarcus Lawrence, Lavonte David, Terrell Suggs, Ndamukong Suh, Calais Campbell and Khalil Mack!! for Tackles for Loss behind the Line of Scrimmage?!? And aren't they paid a lot of $$$ to do what Jamal Adams does better than them? Also knows as making plays behind the LOS?

That's something that people who claim SS is not an impact position or state Adams is not an impact player etc will refuse to let you know about (because they know no better) and I'm LOVING it lol and having fun with it too. 

53 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I have to admit, I have no idea how me defending the best player on the Jets brought you to a place where you decided to post this, but whatever... 

Because you're defending Jamal Adams like you would defend Baker Mayfield?

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Do you salivate this much over the game's top Fullback?  

No, I'm not impressed, because even if he's one of the top Safeties in the game and one of the 2 best players on the team, that still puts him well outside the Top 50 overall players in the game.  He's basically the Sheldon Richardson of Safeties.  Cool. 

I'm glad he's had a very good career so far.  That doesn't make him worth $17M+ per season.  And he's a valuable trade chip to help us in areas that actually matter in the W-L column.  

You're just digging that hole deeper.

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000001036542/top-100-players-of-2019 (Adams ranked 37 before season)

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-top-101-players-from-the-2019-nfl-season (Adams ranked 32 after season)

Legitimate sources league-wide consider him a top-50 player in the league.  Even fans of other teams think so.  Only on this board do people adamantly state the opposite.  

Nature Picture Library - Western Lowland Gorilla (Gorilla gorilla ...

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

You can make it yourself. You just need a Baker jersey, a paper clip, two rubber bands, a stapler, a good pair scissors and before  you know it you will be much less dangerous. 

18 minutes ago, heymangold said:

The tweet says that the play didn’t count?  So you’re a guy that’s gets impressed by all of OBJ’s 1 handed catches that don’t count too?

Yeah it did not count, does that remove the fact that Jamal got his ass cooked?

You could also look at a lot of plays where our ilbs got killed in coverage because our safety was up on the line.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Yeah it did not count, does that remove the fact that Jamal got his ass cooked?

You could also look at a lot of plays where our ilbs got killed in coverage because our safety was up on the line.

Wouldn't that be on Gregg Williams?

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

You're just digging that hole deeper.

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000001036542/top-100-players-of-2019 (Adams ranked 37 before season)

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-top-101-players-from-the-2019-nfl-season (Adams ranked 32 after season)

Legitimate sources league-wide consider him a top-50 player in the league.  Even fans of other teams think so.  Only on this board do people adamantly state the opposite.  

Nature Picture Library - Western Lowland Gorilla (Gorilla gorilla ...

Those are picked by fellow players, the least objective people on the planet.  lol.

45 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

How many years left on his current contract? 2? No need to extend him now.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Technically yes.  But the Bears just couldn't wait to extend Eddie Jackson who was drafted the same year as Jamal.  So that does put some pressure on the Jets to at least consider doing the same.  It's a debatable point, but Jamal does have some footing to stand on when asking for a new deal.  Honestly, he has earned one, whatever number you come up with.