Jets begin contract extension talks with Jamal Adams

Rhg1084

On 1/30/2020 at 10:00 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

What you should really be concerned about is that our GM probably sucks and there is no hope for the future until the Johnson's sell the team.

So resigning an all pro player is a sign that our GM probably sucks and somehow says there is no future for the team and the Johnsons should sell the team?

This says more about how crazed you've become to prove some point than actual football talk.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

So we should give $10 per to Jordan Jenkins, who is likewise a solid, home grown talent. And then Marcus Maye $9 mil per.

No but I think you can use it as a way to keep someone like Jamal. I'm really okay with the Jets trading him too, one of them needs to happen this year otherwise you are wasting value in either direction IMO.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Nobody is saying to trade him because of his personality. His personality is only at issue when his defenders say you have to give him tons of money because he’s a leadery leader

Just watched Quinnen Williams on Boomer and Gio.

He went on and on about how much of a leader Adams is, how hes the leader of the defense, the team.  He totally disagrees with the handful of fans who just can't accept the fact that hes a leader.  Just as it was said about him at LSU.

• Sympathy 2

34 minutes ago, CTM said:

The worst part of this news is my hope for JD is waning rapidly

Why exactly? Because you think he must trade Adams like a few others here? It's absolutely nonsensical to think the Jets must trade Adams in order to be competitive someday down the road.

The ONLY thing JD must do is start drafting better. If he drafts well then resigning Adams just adds  lot more talent to the team over the long haul.

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Just watched Quinnen Williams on Boomer and Gio.

He went on and on about how much of a leader Adams is, how hes the leader of the defense, the team.  He totally disagrees with the handful of fans who just can't accept the fact that hes a leader.  Just as it was said about him at LSU.

If Quinnen Williams is an example of the fruits of Jamal Adams’ leadership, then we should launch him from Florham Park with a catapult 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Beerfish said:

His contract won;t be an issue going forward if the jets draft like crap as usual, if lo and behold douglas drafts well the contract may be an issue.

This makes no sense whatsoever. The only thing that must change is drafting. If Douglas starts drafting well then his contract will be a non issue. If you lock up our talented players and put talent around them that's how Super Bowls get won. So I'm sorry but you are missing the larger picture. Adams contract value is irrelevant to the larger picture. Joe Douglas must draft well and that is will build this team because we'll have an excellent piece to build around.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If Quinnen Williams is an example of the fruits of Jamal Adams’ leadership, then we should launch him from Florham Park with a catapult 

Yeah, how a player plays, that's proof that Adams isn't really a leader, its all made up

7 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

This makes no sense whatsoever. The only thing that must change is drafting. If Douglas starts drafting well then his contract will be a non issue. If you lock up our talented players and put talent around them that's how Super Bowls get won. So I'm sorry but you are missing the larger picture. Adams contract value is irrelevant to the larger picture. Joe Douglas must draft well and that is will build this team because we'll have an excellent piece to build around.

This is logic at work, almost hoping to not draft well so that players on the team aren't worthy of second contracts.  

Amazing the depth of nonsense you get to justify dumping a player you don't like for whatever reason

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

This is logic at work, almost hoping to not draft well so that players on the team aren't worthy of second contracts.  

Amazing the depth of nonsense you get to justify dumping a player you don't like for whatever reason

And that's what it is and nothing else. They have an illogical hatred of an outspoken player and desperate NEED to be right about something. That's what this is all about and nothing more.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Gotta draft well, retain your core and allow some good players to leave via FA to get a comp pick for more cheap talent. Douglas loses his cushion by signing Jamal, he will largely have to depend on his ability to scout college players.

3 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Gotta draft well, retain your core and allow some good players to leave via FA to get a comp pick for more cheap talent. Douglas loses his cushion by signing Jamal, he will largely have to depend on his ability to scout college players.

No team should ever plan on and play for comp picks IMO.  No one can count on the picks, can predict that they won't sign someone and not get comp picks for those lost. 

45 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

Why exactly? Because you think he must trade Adams like a few others here? It's absolutely nonsensical to think the Jets must trade Adams in order to be competitive someday down the road.

Because I think JA the ego is going to want to be paid far beyond his actual on the field value and if we are the ones who do it will mean we capitulate to his self promotional social media celebrity. Hes a good / very good player who is going to want a record breaking deal.

Because I think we have a 22 yo raw QB who is struggling mightily and we should be investing all of our resources in supporting him. I think JA can be converted to draft picks to do that AND the salary we dont pay him can be used for that.

Because I think JA plays a non premium position in a non premium way. Hes great around the line of scrimmage and the sacks this year were nice for sure but I'd prefer ints and pass breakups

Because I think if JD ignores the above and soldiers on making JA the highest paid safety ever it will be a very bad sign indeed.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

44 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

Douglas drafting well is literally all that matters. If he can’t draft, we are doomed anyways. The main argument regarding Adams is with the team’s priorities and quickest route to becoming a winner and turning this around. The most efficient path to success is to support Sam and stop hurting his development. With limited assets, that is difficult to do in 1 year. We need an entire OL and many other offensive weapons. 

Option 1 is pay Jamal/use what draft resources are left and hope for the best. Option 2 is to trade Jamal at peak value ONLY if the return is multiple top 100 picks. Invest the money that would have been spent on Jamal, replacing him with a good SS(they are always available in FA since they aren’t a premium position) and have additional funds to use elsewhere. I understand fandom and loyalty but any fan has to see option 2 as at least viable given our specific situation. 

Neither decision is bad. It’s a high quality problem to have. Me personally, it’s option 2 without a doubt. I’m more of a shrewd person in regards to value whether it’s positional value, contract value or draft compensation. Value can also be determined differently based on different team needs/situations. Right now we DESPERATELY need to stop ruining Sam and make up for a decade of pure incompetent roster building. Our horrible offense is DEAD LAST. Our defense will be middle of the pack without Jamal. We need to make up for lost time and wasted resources by trading the ONLY tradeable asset that we have with any value(Jamal), and parlay that into multiple premium draft picks to give the offense and Sam what they desperately need. 

Either way, I expect the offense to be better since we will invest heavily in the offense anyways. To think that we will be able to nail every draft pick or hit on late round picks to fix everything in 1 year is asinine. You need to have realistic/predictable expectations when building a roster properly. You can not rely on luck. It’s about odds and increasing those odds. That’s personally why I want to trade Jamal for the right compensation. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, CTM said:

Because I think JA the ego is going to want to be paid far beyond his actual on the field value and if we are the ones who do it will mean we capitulate to his self promotional social media celebrity. Hes a good / very good player who is going to want a record breaking deal.

Because I think we have a 22 yo raw QB who is struggling mightily and we should be investing all of our resources in supporting him. I think JA can be converted to draft picks to do that AND the salary we dont pay him can be used for that.

Because I think JA plays a non premium position in a non premium way. Hes great around the line of scrimmage and the sacks this year were nice for sure but I'd prefer ints and pass breakups

Because I think if JD ignores the above and soldiers on making JA the highest paid safety ever it will be a very bad sign indeed.

This is exactly what we should all fear. It would be the ultimate shot in the nuts. Is there any benefit to us signing him to a long term deal and then eventually trading him? Would it be more appealing to a team knowing the signing bonus was already paid out? 

1 hour ago, NYJ1 said:

Well fing Duh.  You draft well you actually  have players needing to be resigned for larger money, you have enough people who need to be resigned the cap becomes a problem, the cap becomes a problem you look at your contracts and prioritize the players you want to keep.

1 hour ago, genot said:

another idiot who knows nothing about football talking about jamalhttps://www.newyorkjets.com/video/ron-jaworski-jamal-adams-leadership-ability-jumps-out

What does guy who was in the NFL for 16 years and studies tape daily for a living know that super smart Jets fans don’t?  

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

There is no tangible way to measure leadership, which is why you people resort to telling us Jamal leads the league in it. 

I cont care about the anti Adams crowd now needing a tangible way to measure leadership, as if the lack of one changes the fact that players, coaches etc all echo the same thing. Jamal Adams is the leader of this team.  

I know it kills the message but its just what his teammates believe and say.  All the talk questioning it is pretty meaningless

On 1/30/2020 at 6:21 PM, Samtorobby47 said:

Because he wasn’t in the same draft class?

I dont know if you follow the Jets closely, but Maccagnan scouted 2 draft classes and decided to pass on the 17 class for a QB in the 18 class and there is no doubt it was Darnold he wanted.

LORHAM PARK, N.J. — “You have a horseshoe up your ass.”

The words instinctively rolled off the tongue of Jets VP of player personnel Brian Heimerdinger

Maccagnan clearly decided he wanted a culture changer on offense and defense.  Now of course, his judgement on Watson and Mahomes was obviously seriously flawed, but you cant separate Adams from Darnold.  

they are thing 1 and thing 2

it was a 2 year plan, a 2 year decision

The tear-down’s coming and everyone knows it—the Jets have franchise-shifting decisions to make. One is what to do at quarterback. So Maccagnan sets his staff out with the task of breaking down not just 2017 draft prospects such as Mitch Trubisky, Deshaun Watson, Patrick Mahomes and DeShone Kizer, but also those a year off, like Rosen, Allen and Darnold.

The conclusion by the 2017 Senior Bowl: We’re fine waiting. It isn’t so much that the prospects aren’t great. It’s more that the Jets are focused on rebuilding their locker-room culture from the ground up, and, picking sixth overall, they like the strength of the 2017 class at other positions. So the team will sign Josh McCown and give the Christian Hackenberg experiment (the Penn State QB had been taken in the second round in ’16) another

The Jets select LSU safety Jamal Adams with that sixth pick. Adams, like USC defensive lineman Leonard Williams in 2015, is a player Maccagnan never thought would fall to him, so the call was academic. Adams’s leadership—“a culture changer”—was lauded by the staff in Baton Rouge in a very rare way, and that will be a piece of the puzzle in how they assess the next year’s quarterbacks.

Sticking to the plan as it was set out, quarterback is never much of a consideration in the first round here, as it would have been with Mariota in 2015 or Goff in 2016.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/05/16/new-york-jets-sam-darnold-2018-draft

I'm not defending Maccagnan, I don't hate Sam.  I'm just curious why Adams gets all the hate.  Sam deserves to be in the equation

7 minutes ago, JiF said:

What does guy who was in the NFL for 16 years and studies tape daily for a living know that super smart Jets fans don’t?  

Jaworski is a dumb polack (redundant?) who once said Kellen Clemens was a great QB prospect 

• Sympathy 1

35 minutes ago, CTM said:

Well, you're wrong on all counts. Jamal Adams is a cornerstone player and a guy you can design your defense around. The only thing that must change is the Jets ability to draft good players. They've had terrible drafting forever with Jamal and a few others being the exception to the rule. If the drafting changes for the better then the Jets are winning Super Bowls with Jamal being the QB of the defense.

4 minutes ago, Larz said:

I dont know if you follow the Jets closely, but Maccagnan scouted 2 draft classes and decided to pass on the 17 class for a QB in the 18 class and there is no doubt it was Darnold he wanted.

I'm not sure if you are trying to make us feel good or bad about Darnold here, I suspect the former  but the result is the latter.

Also I think the guy you quoted works for or with the jets based on another thread but maybe I have confusded

• Post of the Week 1

16 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Well fing Duh.  You draft well you actually  have players needing to be resigned for larger money, you have enough people who need to be resigned the cap becomes a problem, the cap becomes a problem you look at your contracts and prioritize the players you want to keep.

Well, it's good to see you finally get it, but one last thing....

That's a GOOD problem to have and it's no problem this team has had for years. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I cont care about the anti Adams crowd now needing a tangible way to measure leadership, as if the lack of one changes the fact that players, coaches etc all echo the same thing.

On this I agree, there is no metric, no statistic, for "leadership".

Jamal Adams is the leader of this team.  

Which is, IMO, part of the problem.  Having a strong safety be your best player and leader will never, ever, lead to a Super Bowl.

Until Sam Darnold is the leader of this team, we may as well not bother.  

I know it kills the message but its just what his teammates believe and say.  All the talk questioning it is pretty meaningless

+1, not sure why anyone would doubt Adams is the leader, at the very least of the Defense.  Who else is there tbqh?  He could be the leader by default tbqh, there are no other candidates, at least not in 2019.

• Upvote 1