Jets begin contract extension talks with Jamal Adams

Rhg1084

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

Just as one point of comparison, Troy palamulu, who was just elected to the HOF, had the following in his 12 year career:

32 interceptions

12 sacks

14 forced fumbles

So far Adams has 2 interceptions, 12 sacks and 6 forced fumbles in 3 years.

So you are saying Adams has legit pass-rushing skills and forces fumbles at a very impressive rate? Wouldn't that be making an impact?

I was told he doesn't really do that. 

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

So you are saying Adams has legit pass-rushing skills and forces fumbles at a very impressive rate? Wouldn't that be making an impact?

It is interesting to see what a HOF safety’s stats are, with the caveat that stats don’t tell the entire story.  

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Move Adams to EDGE, sign a legit pass-defending Safety, and maybe we're on to something....

49 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Except Adams can't be a full-time EDGE.  Several of his 6.5 sacks this season were the unblocked variety.  Offenses figure that stuff out.  

True.  And several interceptions by Troy Polamalu were of the other team's Quarterback throwing the ball to him variety.

keanu reeves whatever GIF

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Move Adams to EDGE, sign a legit pass-defending Safety, and maybe we're on to something....

Maye is pretty good.  Jamal had the 7th best coverage grade for NFL Safeties and the Jets were ranked 16th as a team in coverage defense...

PFF Rankings: All 32 NFL coverage defenses through 17 weeks of the regular season

601514277_ScreenShot2020-02-01at8_18_42PM.png.0b328b2d6d486c823ac6f2bf3f2ae84b.png

• 2 months later...
On 2/1/2020 at 9:26 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

Except Adams can't be a full-time EDGE.  Several of his 6.5 sacks this season were the unblocked variety.  Offenses figure that stuff out.  

@InstantClassic

https://www.newyorkjets.com/video/baldy-s-breakdown-jamal-adams-sacks-vs-the-redskins

2 of 3 he fights off blocks, 1 he burns a LT.

https://thejetpress.com/2019/12/18/new-york-jets-jamal-adams-selected-to-pro-bowl/

the play he literally steals the ball from Daniel Jones and takes it for a TD he manhandles Saquon.

watch that video and then tell me he’s a guy you don’t want.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, heymangold said:

@InstantClassic

https://www.newyorkjets.com/video/baldy-s-breakdown-jamal-adams-sacks-vs-the-redskins

https://thejetpress.com/2019/12/18/new-york-jets-jamal-adams-selected-to-pro-bowl/

the play he literally steals the ball from Daniel Jones and takes it for a TD he manhandles Saquon.

Want and need are too different things. We’re all old enough to where our wants don’t hurt more than our needs..as is the same with this franchise.

• Post of the Week 1

On 2/1/2020 at 7:19 PM, Augustiniak said:

Just as one point of comparison, Troy palamulu, who was just elected to the HOF, had the following in his 12 year career:

32 interceptions

12 sacks

14 forced fumbles

Not only that, but...

Throughout 12 NFL seasons of play Troy Polamalu had recorded 12 QB hits, 56 tackles for loss behind the LOS and 2 defensive TD's (an average of 1 QB hit & 4.6 tackles for loss behind the line of scrimmage per year). 

Throughout 3 NFL seasons of play Jamal Adams has already recorded 23 QB hits, 28 tackles for loss behind the LOS and 1 defensive TD (an average of 7.6 QB hits & 9.3 tackles for loss behind the line of scrimmage per year). 

As I've mentioned multiple times not only is #33 a former All-Rookie selection but he's now a current 2x Pro Bowler and an NFL All-Pro (First-team) after only 3 years and just like Troy Polamalu; already well on his way to a HOF Football Career (and nothing can stop him either; not even a lack of proven CB's/pass rushers/depleted defenses due to multiple injuries to his MLB's etc can ever stop him).   

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

[mention=8400]InstantClassic[/mention]

Dude is the best Jet in the last decade... By far the best Jet on this current team and it's not close ... **** the haters they are helplessly clueless.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 3

16 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Dude is the best Jet in the last decade... By far the best Jet on this current team and it's not close ... **** the haters they are helplessly clueless.

Considering we haven't made the playoffs in the last decade, color me unimpressed by calling him the best player of the decade.  

• Upvote 3

On 2/1/2020 at 10:17 PM, jetstream23 said:

True.  And several interceptions by Troy Polamalu were of the other team's Quarterback throwing the ball to him variety.

Dude benefitted from a sick pass rush too. Pass rush leads to QB goofs and ints

Just now, heymangold said:

I don’t get the reference.  But if y’all place as much stock into him tweeting pictures then you gotta place that same amount of belief in what he said about an extension.

Yes. Totally should put stock in a guy who “expects“ to be extended this offseason with 3 years left on his contract. 

• Haha 2

I'd be OK with giving Jamal Adams a 5 year contract at about 17 million per year with incentives to earn more. He's every bit as good as Polamalu and Reed this early in his career. Locking him will give us confidence knowing that the defense is anchored and we'll have an excellent base to build around. I don't know if he'll ever do it, but Jamal Adams has the ABILITY/INSTINCTS to singlehandedly change the outcome of games. He's that good. The arguments made on this site against signing him are literally DUMB. There's no such thing as a premium position when you have Jamal Adams on your team. I want Jamal Adams to play his entire career in a Jets uniform. The only different uniform he'll wear will an AFC pro bowl uniform and that will happen every year he's healthy.

• Thumb Down 4
  • Haha 1

On 2/1/2020 at 7:19 PM, Augustiniak said:

32 interceptions

12 sacks

14 forced fumbles

So if a QB's averages over his first 3 years: hasn't made the playoffs, averaged 65% accuracy, ran for over 1000 yards and threw for 2000 yards, 10 TD's per year, offense finished in last 3rd and his team finished with no more that 5 wins per year over those 3 years, does he make the pro bowl?   Is he considered an elite QB? I don't know of any safety that has made the pro bowl with 1 int per year besides Adams.  The way Adams has been used by GW, has been very smart.  He's primarily a hybrid edge/LB not as a safety.   But once we get a true edge, Adams' role will drastically change and he will become a huge liability in the secondary.  

13 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Considering we haven't made the playoffs in the last decade, color me unimpressed by calling him the best player of the decade.  

According to this logic, you've never been impressed with any All Pro on a bad team I suppose.

• Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, 14 in Green said:

According to this logic, you've never been impressed with any All Pro on a bad team I suppose.

If he plays a non-premium position like Jamal, yes.  You are correct that I am not impressed.  Just like I'm not impressed if someone were to tell me he's the world's best VCR repairman.

If Sam Darnold or George Fant become All-Pros next year; now we're talking.

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

GFY.

That's an insult to two of the greats.

Just now, Rhg1084 said:

You seem obsessed with Jamal. You post about the guy 60 times a day. Go put your energy into something productive 

^^^ Triggered

Someone is definitely triggered here, but it's not @Rhg1084

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

On 2/1/2020 at 10:17 PM, jetstream23 said:

So you are saying it is not really a 16:1 ratio then on interceptions?

If he plays a non-premium position like Jamal, yes.  You are correct that I am not impressed.  Just like I'm not impressed if someone were to tell me he's the world's best VCR repairman.

If Sam Darnold or George Fant become All-Pros next year; now we're talking.

You're just ranting at this point. He's the best player on the team by far. He's young, and whether you want to hear it or not, he's extremely productive and valuable to this team.

You're a smart guy, but this just isn't your best look 80. Sorry.

• Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

You're just ranting at this point. He's the best player on the team by far. He's young, and whether you want to hear it or not, he's extremely productive and valuablre. 

Mosley is the best player on the team.  And even if Jamal were the best player on the team, the goal should be to do a helluva lot better than that. 

The Jets have been a defense-first franchise since 1970 and it hasn't worked out.  No chance I want to invest $35M+ on the cap on ILB and SS when we need 2 new starting WR's and at least 2 new starting OL.  

Call it a rant all you want.  The Jets will not be a successful franchise if they devote heavy resources to 2 positions on the defense that don't matter as much as CB or EDGE.  They just won't.