This is a new year - THIS IS THE JETS YEAR

Maxman

On 2/3/2020 at 1:49 PM, SAR I said:

10-6 and a split with the Patriots will win the division.  12 of the games are winnable, that's the important thing.

SAR I

Winnable based on what?  Our roster is at best the 3rd best in the division.  Miami has a loaded draft.  We had arguably the worst offseason last year in our division.  

The Jets roster is a cluster ****.  We aren't sitting with a ton of cap space.  We're going to need a great rookie draft class to begin to fill the void between us and both the Bills and the Pats and that's if they draft worse than us which based on past performance is highly unlikely.  

Predicting what our record will be next year right now ignores that the other teams in our division and conference have a draft, FA and will be trying to improve their teams.  The offseason is a competition and it hasn't started yet.  Douglas may be good but he's a rookie GM.

Sam might come up with a case of the crabs and it might create a wicked hitch in his delivery.  

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Winnable based on what?  Our roster is at best the 3rd best in the division.  Miami has a loaded draft.  We had arguably the worst offseason last year in our division.  

The Jets roster is a cluster ****. 

jetschamps.jpg

Come now.  6-2 finish, 7-5 with a healthy Darnold, 7-2 with a healthy Beachum, 5-0 with a healthy Jamal, no OL, no TE, weak WR's, and the worst rushing attack in the NFL.  We would have gone 10-6 easy if we had the same roster we had in August on the field in December. 

Get healthy, pick up a WR, get 3 OL'men, and we're just fine.  We already have a Top 10 defense.  We already have a Top 10 quarterback.  Linemen and skill players.  Not hard to do.

Don't give me that draftnik nonsense about Miami.  They haven't drafted their way out of a barn in 30 years.  Bills look decent on paper but we beat them twice when we were a mess and Allen is a turnover machine if you take away his broken scramble plays.  Pats start strong and fade fast like old teams do.

The division is ours.  Chin up.

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

14 hours ago, SAR I said:

jetschamps.jpg

Come now.  6-2 finish, 7-5 with a healthy Darnold, 7-2 with a healthy Beachum, 5-0 with a healthy Jamal, no OL, no TE, weak WR's, and the worst rushing attack in the NFL.  We would have gone 10-6 easy if we had the same roster we had in August on the field in December. 

Get healthy, pick up a WR, get 3 OL'men, and we're just fine.  We already have a Top 10 defense.  We already have a Top 10 quarterback.  Linemen and skill players.  Not hard to do.

Don't give me that draftnik nonsense about Miami.  They haven't drafted their way out of a barn in 30 years.  Bills look decent on paper but we beat them twice when we were a mess and Allen is a turnover machine if you take away his broken scramble plays.  Pats start strong and fade fast like old teams do.

The division is ours.  Chin up.

SAR I

We lost to Buffalo at home and won when it was meaningless for Buffalo.  In that nice stretch we beat a 4 and 12, 3 and 13, 7 and 9, 2 and 14 and a Steeler team without a QB who went 8 and 8.  Sam was a bottom 8 QB in the NFL last year.  Ignore his TD's and yards because he can't stay healthy.   He ranked 25th in completion percentage, 18th in TD %, 27th in Int percentage and 27th in adjusted yards per attempt.  That's with playing a schedule of the dogs of the league.   By dogs I mean teams like the Jets that had badly constructed rosters and consistently lost.

We got some wins against bottom of the barrel teams.  Even the Dallas win in retrospect has to be tempered.  Dallas didn't have a winning record.  None of our wins last year came against a team with a winning record with the exception of the last game against Buffalo which was a meaningless game for them.  In fact it helped their draft position and hurt ours.  With the exception of first game loss to Buffalo we weren't remotely competitive with a team that had a winning record. 

We haven't picked up a WR or any competent OL players yet.  While we might, the other teams in our division will pick up players as well.  While it's clear Miami is dysfunctional with Ross as the owner, the Jets have been dysfunctional under the Johnsons.  There is no organization in the NFL that let the best HC in modern NFL history leave, while under contract, to go to divisional opponent.  When it comes to dysfunction we have nothing on Miami.  Douglas is a rookie GM.  We can be optimistic that he will become a good GM.  Right now there is no real evidence that he is a good GM.  We are optimistic because we no longer have a proven crappy GM.

We may well turn it around but until we actually see the roster and the roster of our divisional and conference competitors, the Jets today are a terribly constructed team with little chance to either win a division or sneak in as a wild card.  

Optimism or pessimism really doesn't matter right now.  It's simply who we get, who they get and how productive we are vs how productive they are in the actual games.  We can be optimistic about Sam's ability but Sam has no more ability than Blake Bortles or 50 other NFL QB prospects that have washed out of the NFL.  

It's not about optimism or pessimism it's about a lot of if this happens then that can happen.  It's not chin up or chin down it's simply production and results.  

I appreciate your opinions and in some cases you actually back them up with a reasoned argument.  Come now and the Bills look decent on paper isn't a sound argument for the Jets being in the hunt for the AFC east next year.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Biggs said:

We lost to Buffalo at home and won when it was meaningless for Buffalo.  In that nice stretch we beat a 4 and 12, 3 and 13, 7 and 9, 2 and 14 and a Steeler team without a QB who went 8 and 8.  Sam was a bottom 8 QB in the NFL last year.  Ignore his TD's and yards because he can't stay healthy.   He ranked 25th in completion percentage, 18th in TD %, 27th in Int percentage and 27th in adjusted yards per attempt.  That's with playing a schedule of the dogs of the league.   By dogs I mean teams like the Jets that had badly constructed rosters and consistently lost.

Again, it's all about context.  Find me the stats for the last 8 games.  That's the barometer by which next year is judged.  The Bills were the healthiest team in the league, the Jets the most injured.  Sam's numbers look bad because the first 4 of his games he was still feeling the effects of mono and/or adjusting to a new playbook for which he was behind the curve due to missing a month.  For all 12 games he played post-mono, the O was crippled by the worst OL in the league, the worst ground game in the league, and very mediocre receivers.  QB doesn't do it alone.  Darnold got no help.

Yet.....he led the team on a 6-2 run!  And no matter the opponents records, the teams we beat had superior rosters on the days we played them.  18 players on IR.  4 out of 5 offensive linemen out of position.  Bell unable to run.  No backup QB.  No kicker.  Lost 2 TE's.  Playing with only 2 qualified WR's.  Sam's stats could not be impressive, there was no way for them to be with that ragtag O we put out there.  But if you watched the games, the way he led the team through adversity showed you something.

11 minutes ago, Biggs said:

We got some wins against bottom of the barrel teams.  Even the Dallas win in retrospect has to be tempered.  Dallas didn't have a winning record.  None of our wins last year came against a team with a winning record with the exception of the last game against Buffalo which was a meaningless game for them.  In fact it helped their draft position and hurt ours.  With the exception of first game loss to Buffalo we weren't remotely competitive with a team that had a winning record. 

You can only play the games on your schedule.  And Buffalo opened the year 6-2 playing the same caliber scrub teams and I don't recall anyone saying that they were a sham.  Look at Baltimore's schedule, they had 10 wins in 11 games against absolute garbage.  Ravens and Bills were remarkably healthy.  Jets were a hospital ward.

13 minutes ago, Biggs said:

We may well turn it around but until we actually see the roster and the roster of our divisional and conference competitors, the Jets today are a terribly constructed team with little chance to either win a division or sneak in as a wild card.  

The Jets went 7-5 with a healthy Sam Darnold.  Most had us at 7-9 before the season started when perfectly healthy.  Sam got the same win total on a team of hospital patients.  And we learned that our roster is deeper than we thought, on both sides of the ball some young players not expected to get any playing time were rushed into duty and contributed mightily on our 6-2 finish. 

Put the injured players back on the team and healthy since opening day, put a real kicker on the roster, we go 11-5.  Those 4 wins are right there, easy to see.

18 minutes ago, Biggs said:

I appreciate your opinions and in some cases you actually back them up with a reasoned argument.  Come now and the Bills look decent on paper isn't a sound argument for the Jets being in the hunt for the AFC east next year.

I saw a 7-9 team that would have been 11-5 if healthy and a kicker that didn't retire.  I saw Sam Darnold Top 10 in the AFC in the second half of the season and see him being Top 5 if he had the offense as designed in August.  I saw Gregg Williams dominating on D with the bulk of the front seven on IR.  I saw Adam Gase rallying the team against enormous odds and out-coaching Gruden, Tomlin, Flores, and McDermott.  You should too.

SAR I

29 minutes ago, Biggs said:

We lost to Buffalo at home and won when it was meaningless for Buffalo

No we won both games you can't count the loss because Darnold had mono and the NFL has a hidden rule that if your QB has mono you really win the game regardless of what the scoreboard says at the end of the game. 

• Haha 1

On 2/3/2020 at 3:47 AM, talisaynon said:

31st in offense from a so called offensive genius coach. Why are jets fans always so myopic when it comes to these things?

Because they don't expect the same numbers with an OL?

With a running game with that new OL?

They don't expect Fales to be at QB for 3.5 games, or Sam to play with mono for at least 1?

Because before 2019 KC last won a SB all of one year after we last won a SB?

5 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Because they don't expect the same numbers with an OL?

With a running game with that new OL?

They don't expect Fales to be at QB for 3.5 games, or Sam to play with mono for at least 1?

Because before 2019 KC last won a SB all of one year after we last won a SB?

Since the Chiefs hired Reid they have been in the playoffs 6 out of 7 years.

43 minutes ago, SAR I said:

You need to learn to read the tea leaves.  They tell you when the arrow is pointing up and you can come out of your anhedonic cloud.

SAR I

I remember your name from JetsInsider or whichever board was run by the Soothsayer. too bad they swiped everything clean there years ago. 

You used to sound alot like @T0mShane

You were very pessimistic about the jets during their last good period they had with Rex and Tanny. You had a very out of the box mindset about those teams  

now, during the worst times you always seem to be optimistic. It’s almost scary how positive you are about the jets

either you became a Buddhist or my recollection is a bit off. 

6 hours ago, themeangreenkillingmachine said:

I remember your name from JetsInsider or whichever board was run by the Soothsayer. too bad they swiped everything clean there years ago. 

You used to sound alot like @T0mShane

You were very pessimistic about the jets during their last good period they had with Rex and Tanny. You had a very out of the box mindset about those teams  

now, during the worst times you always seem to be optimistic. It’s almost scary how positive you are about the jets

either you became a Buddhist or my recollection is a bit off. 

No, your recollection is clear.  I felt that Rex was a lousy coach by 2012, and I was right, and I feel that the Jets are a playoff team in 2020, and I am right.  Some posters are good at the little details.  Draft, metrics, analytics.  I am good at seeing the big picture.

SAR I

• Sympathy 1

17 hours ago, Biggs said:

We haven't picked up a WR or any competent OL players yet.  While we might, the other teams in our division will pick up players as well.  While it's clear Miami is dysfunctional with Ross as the owner, the Jets have been dysfunctional under the Johnsons.  There is no organization in the NFL that let the best HC in modern NFL history leave, while under contract, to go to divisional opponent.  When it comes to dysfunction we have nothing on Miami.  Douglas is a rookie GM.  We can be optimistic that he will become a good GM.  Right now there is no real evidence that he is a good GM.  We are optimistic because we no longer have a proven crappy GM.

Optimism or pessimism really doesn't matter right now.  It's simply who we get, who they get and how productive we are vs how productive they are in the actual games.  We can be optimistic about Sam's ability but Sam has no more ability than Blake Bortles or 50 other NFL QB prospects that have washed out of the NFL.  

It's not about optimism or pessimism it's about a lot of if this happens then that can happen.  It's not chin up or chin down it's simply production and results.  

SAR doesn’t just count his chickens before they hatch, he counts the eggs before they are laid.

6 hours ago, jgb said:

SAR doesn’t just count his chickens before they hatch, he counts the eggs before they are laid.

It amazes me how some Jets fans can see 7-9 with a hospital roster and can't easily imagine 10-6 if healthy.

It amazes me how some Jets fans who can't easily imagine 10-6 if healthy plus the impact of Joe Douglas likely leading to 11-5 next season.

I hope you folks don't work on Wall Street.  Your inability to analyze current performance and see the big picture wouldn't earn your investors a dime.

SAR I

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

It amazes me how some Jets fans can see 7-9 with a hospital roster and can't easily imagine 10-6 if healthy.

It amazes me how some Jets fans who can't easily imagine 10-6 if healthy plus the impact of Joe Douglas likely leading to 11-5 next season.

I hope you folks don't work on Wall Street.  Your inability to analyze current performance and see the big picture wouldn't earn your investors a dime.

SAR I

I am constantly amazed at the level of pessimism on this board.  Why be a "fan," much less congregate with other fans, if there is only doom and gloom and nothing to look forward to?  I can't take the time to read this whole thread but I think there's plenty of reason to think we will win 10 games or more next year, including:

Top ten defense this year with two of our best defensive players (Moseley and Williamson) out virtually the whole season and another playing through a high ankle sprain (Quinnen).  Could be top 5 next year if they get those guys back at full strength and maybe a little help at CB. 

Young and dynamic QB who was able to overcome his own mono and an all-time horrific and injured O-line to perform at a top ten level over the second half of the season.  The arrow is pointing up with this guy, particularly if the Jets revamp the O-line this off-season as expected.

Well-respected GM who grew up in two organizations that recognized the vital importance of OL and was a part of building strong ones for the Ravens and the Eagles.  I expect at least three new OL starters next year, which further will allow Darnold to grow as he will no longer be scrambling for his life.  Also, Good OLs take pressure off of defenses by allowing them to rest and recover while the O is getting first downs.

Strong finish to the season.  I know it's trendy to say this will not carry over or we played scrubby teams but you have to learn how to win and I think it will give our guys confidence going into next season.

Decline of the Patriots and Iffy AFC East.  Let's face it, Brady is no longer Brady.  He is not the guy who, for years, lifted his OL and receiving corps.  And he may be playing for the Bucs or the Titans, anyway.  The Bills have a playoff D but are limited by Allen as their QB.  The Dolphins don't know who their QB will be and may be drafting a guy who needs time to recover from a major injury and may have a degenerative hip.  Not crazy to think we could win 4 or 5 games in division and compete for the division.

Maybe a little optimistic but if I can't hope for good outcomes I think I would stop rooting for the team.

• Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

I am constantly amazed at the level of pessimism on this board.  Why be a "fan," much less congregate with other fans, if there is only doom and gloom and nothing to look forward to?  I can't take the time to read this whole thread but I think there's plenty of reason to think we will win 10 games or more next year, including:

Top ten defense this year with two of our best defensive players (Moseley and Williamson) out virtually the whole season and another playing through a high ankle sprain (Quinnen).  Could be top 5 next year if they get those guys back at full strength and maybe a little help at CB. 

Young and dynamic QB who was able to overcome his own mono and an all-time horrific and injured O-line to perform at a top ten level over the second half of the season.  The arrow is pointing up with this guy, particularly if the Jets revamp the O-line this off-season as expected.

Well-respected GM who grew up in two organizations that recognized the vital importance of OL and was a part of building strong ones for the Ravens and the Eagles.  I expect at least three new OL starters next year, which further will allow Darnold to grow as he will no longer be scrambling for his life.  Also, Good OLs take pressure off of defenses by allowing them to rest and recover while the O is getting first downs.

Strong finish to the season.  I know it's trendy to say this will not carry over or we played scrubby teams but you have to learn how to win and I think it will give our guys confidence going into next season.

Decline of the Patriots and Iffy AFC East.  Let's face it, Brady is no longer Brady.  He is not the guy who, for years, lifted his OL and receiving corps.  And he may be playing for the Bucs or the Titans, anyway.  The Bills have a playoff D but are limited by Allen as their QB.  The Dolphins don't know who their QB will be and may be drafting a guy who needs time to recover from a major injury and may have a degenerative hip.  Not crazy to think we could win 4 or 5 games in division and compete for the division.

Maybe a little optimistic but if I can't hope for good outcomes I think I would stop rooting for the team.

Post Of The Year right there.

SAR I

• Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

This is a total unknown. The Johnson's just arguably hired the two worst GM's in league history back to back- but somehow they got this one right? Everyone should be skeptical of Joe Douglas and his ability to right the ship.

This is a total unknown. The Johnson's just arguably hired the two worst GM's in league history back to back- but somehow they got this one right? Everyone should be skeptical of Joe Douglas and his ability to right the ship.

Has he proven anything yet as a GM yet? Maybe not. But this hire was universally lauded by knowledgeable football people. The guy has a very strong reputation. In contrast, each of the Mac and Idzik hires were head-scratchers when they happened.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1