Even drafting just a #2 WR would be a Big Win for Joe

I mean think about it a number two. What is that really? That is a guy that can get open most of the time and move the chains.

Sure he might not break the game with 159 yards a game but good for 80 and a TD on a good day.

How long has it been, hard to see past last season, when we had a guy that could actually get open. How many plays last season were no one could get open so we lost a down.

Now assuming we draft one and actually use him ( bell was our number 1 Wr by a long shot last year but never threw to him. Hell we never handed it off to him the way we should have for that matter...sorry I digress)..anyway it would be a huge win for is. 

Partly because of how bad we have drafted in the past overall, but also how poor how WRs really are. The best on the team was an out of work bum who couldnt make it on most teams starting roster. DT walked on and was the number 1. Crazy.

Yeah I'd Joe snags and WR 2 in this year's draft. Even if it is the first round pick that would be a big win. *Fingers crossed

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Have we gotten any word or rationale behind what exactly Douglas' plan is? Because as of now it has a Maccagnan seat of the pants feel to it.

Why would he reveal anything about his plan right now?   The draft  is still more than 2 months away.   Not sure what you are expecting him to say right now.  

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I'm not saying this trying to start an argument or anything like that, but one of the biggest mysteries on this website to me is how someone like you who seemingly is very intelligent in most aspects of football is so fixated on what our coaches and/or front office says in the media.  Like they are some outlier in the world is sports who hasn't shared their draft strategy publicly.

Because the Jets last two hires at GM were John Idzik and Mike Maccagnan. Douglas whether he likes it or not is in an immediate prove it stage. I'm skeptical he's up for the job just based off of his presence to date. What has changed? How are they evaluating differently? Communicating this is a good thing. I dont get why expectations are so low. 

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I'm not saying this trying to start an argument or anything like that, but one of the biggest mysteries on this website to me is how someone like you who seemingly is very intelligent in most aspects of football is so fixated on what our coaches and/or front office says in the media.  Like they are some outlier in the world is sports who hasn't shared their draft strategy publicly.

Maybe an Astro's fan?? Seriously, 95% of the media I wouldn't pee on if they were on fire.

5 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Why would he reveal anything about his plan right now?   The draft  is still more than 2 months away.   Not sure what you are expecting him to say right now.  

Do you get the impression anything has really changed? The new President is an internal hire. Football side is still cloak and dagger other than Gase occasionally going off script. Nothing about the processes, scouting, analytics has been communicated. Just more "football guys" doing "football things" and Joe wants to build the o-line. Great. Anyone can say that.

Just now, Matt39 said:

Do you get the impression anything has really changed? The new President is an internal hire. Football side is still cloak and dagger other than Gase occasionally going off script. Nothing about the processes, scouting, analytics has been communicated. Just more "football guys" doing "football things" and Joe wants to build the o-line. Great. Anyone can say that.

What exactly do you want Joe to say?  

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Have we gotten any word or rationale behind what exactly Douglas' plan is? Because as of now it has a Maccagnan seat of the pants feel to it.

This makes no sense to me. Considering when the guy was hired, there’s A: no other way to operate than by the seat of his pants, and B: no indication he’s anything like Maccagnan. 

Also, no GM outlines his plans to the fanbase. He’s given us indications that he sees the O line as a priority, but what do you really expect him to lay out for you?

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

What exactly do you want Joe to say?  

Communicate, be a presence. This behind the scenes shy guy routine that Maccagnan played us all on is concerning. That's all. He also took the Jets job, which most of the "in-demand" GM's have just turned down interviews. There's good reason to be skeptical.

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Communicate, be a presence. This behind the scenes shy guy routine that Maccagnan played us all on is concerning. That's all. He also took the Jets job, which most of the "in-demand" GM's have just turned down interviews. There's good reason to be skeptical.

Be a presence how?  Again, what do you want him to say?  You sound like you just want Joe to come out and give you a hug and tell you everything will be OK. Lol..

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Be a presence how?  Again, what do you want him to say?  You sound like you just want Joe to come out and give you a hug and tell you everything will be OK. Lol..

What improvements has he made to the scouting process? Hiring Phil Savage who's been around forever? How are analytics being integrated into the process? Are they being utilized? 

I get you cant go entirely deep into the weeds in this stuff, but is astonishing how low the expectations are for a guy pulling in multi-millions. As a Jets fan, I think we all deserve hugs tbh. He just has been invisible since he's been hired. The enthusiasm for landing him was through the roof. 

• WTF? 1

In some draft circles, it has been suggested this draft is so deep with WR'S,there could be at least 20 receivers with a 1st or 2nd round grade.

We don't need to get Jerry Jeudy to have a good option.  That said, this might be a good year to double-dip if Robby Anderson walks in free agency.  With having Crowder already on the team, and if Vyncient Smith develops at all, a lower-tier signing, and a double-dip at the draft, things could look good at the position.

HOWEVER.....the key in this is a good lower-tier signing AND if the draft picks develop.  Our last two GM's were not very good at, you know, drafting quality players.

6 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

I mean think about it a number two. What is that really? That is a guy that can get open most of the time and move the chains.

Sure he might not break the game with 159 yards a game but good for 80 and a TD on a good day.

How long has it been, hard to see past last season, when we had a guy that could actually get open. How many plays last season were no one could get open so we lost a down.

Now assuming we draft one and actually use him ( bell was our number 1 Wr by a long shot last year but never threw to him. Hell we never handed it off to him the way we should have for that matter...sorry I digress)..anyway it would be a huge win for is. 

Partly because of how bad we have drafted in the past overall, but also how poor how WRs really are. The best on the team was an out of work bum who couldnt make it on most teams starting roster. DT walked on and was the number 1. Crazy.

Yeah I'd Joe snags and WR 2 in this year's draft. Even if it is the first round pick that would be a big win. *Fingers crossed

All of our recent picks have been a #2.

Toilet GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

29 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Yeah because that idiot Douglas should have announced by now which positions he's going to target in the draft.  

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, the Claw said:

This makes no sense to me. Considering when the guy was hired, there’s A: no other way to operate than by the seat of his pants, and B: no indication he’s anything like Maccagnan. 

Also, no GM outlines his plans to the fanbase. He’s given us indications that he sees the O line as a priority, but what do you really expect him to lay out for you?

I'm pretty happy with just that. It's like music to my ears.

Online!

40 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Personally, I remember Maccagnan talking about revamping the scouting system and hiring a whole new scouting department. It made all the difference.

• Upvote 1

There’s a lot of articles like this from when we first got Mac. I found that while at a red light. That’s how pervasive it was. Also Mac also leaked out sh*t about how great the thing he wanted to do was. He was generally open about meaningless PR things.

Your opinion is based on little action and entirely on your assumptions. You have no info and you’re using it to form your opinion. Give him an offseason, see if the reports of “jets want x” come and go without action and then form an opinion. Joe Douglas might suck but there’s no evidence either way yet.

• Upvote 1

At quick glance- the Senior Director of Football Administration and the Analytics person are both holdovers from previous regimes and in typical Jets fashion their bio's are as vague as humanly possible.

https://www.newyorkjets.com/team/front-office-roster/dave-socie

https://www.newyorkjets.com/team/front-office-roster/brian-shields-1

Looks like the analytics guy was hired by Idzik. I think I'm asking too many questions.