will the team re-sign or decline Demaryius Thomas ? ? ?

kelly

he NY Jets will look to upgrade the wide receiver position in the offseason, but will their 2020 plans include veteran wideout Demaryius Thomas.

The NY Jets were dealt a serious blow early in the season when it was announced that wide receiver Quincy Enunwa would miss the remainder of the season with yet another neck injury.

It was a serious stroke of misfortune for the offense as the Jets were already thin at wide receiver, to begin with. As a result, the team’s recent acquisition of veteran Demaryius Thomas proved to be even more important.Thomas was acquired in a trade with the New England Patriots days after the team’s Week 1 loss to the Buffalo Bills in exchange for a 2021 sixth-round pick. It was a small price to pay for an experienced wideout with Thomas’ pedigree.

The five-time Pro Bowler may have been a shell of his former self, but he did an admirable job of giving the Jets an experienced body to play at receiver. After all, he was a better option than the likes of Braxton Berrios, Vyncint Smith, and Josh Bellamy.Perhaps Thomas’ biggest asset was his veteran leadership which proved beneficial in a young Jets offense. The fact that he was given a captain’s patch is further proof of how the coaching staff viewed him.

But now that he’s a free agent, will the Jets opt to re-sign him for another year ?

Should the Jets re-sign him?

For a one-year stop-gap, Demaryius Thomas played about as well as could have been expected.

The 32-year-old hadn’t had a 1,000-yard campaign in three seasons and was less than a year removed from a torn Achilles suffered at the end of the 2018 season.Thomas would finish 2019 with 36 catches for 433 yards and a touchdown in 11 games played. Not exceptional numbers, but respectable given the situation he was in.He served his role in 2019, but there is little reason to bring him back in 2020.

The Jets are looking to get younger and faster at the receiver position. And while Thomas provided stability to an unproven receiving core last year, he remains a low-tier starting option at this point in his career.He isn’t getting any younger and isn’t half the player that he once was. Thomas should be playing for a new team in 2020, even if his short tenure in East Rutherford was a slight success.

Will the Jets re-sign him?

The Jets’ coaching staff was evidently very high on the former Denver Broncos superstar. Thomas was named a team captain just over two months after arriving at the team’s facilities and he was trusted in that leadership role despite limited experience with the organization.That alone speaks to the level of trust and respect Adam Gase and company have for Thomas.But respect alone doesn’t guarantee a roster spot.

Thomas will be 33-years-old by the end of next season and the Jets are looking to upgrade at the receiver position in 2020. That means improving upon the aging Thomas and replacing him with a younger, more promising starter.At this stage in his career, Thomas is better served as a dependable depth receiver than to be counted on as a viable starting option. He could fill that role for some team next season.

But don’t expect that team to be the Jets.

Odds of re-signing: 5%

>    https://thejetpress.com/2020/03/07/ny-jets-re-sign-decline-demaryius-thomas/

Just now, Philc1 said:

I think the plan is draft a WR in round 2 and resign Thomas

I agree about drafting a WR high in the draft. That would mean he would be on the field opposite Robby, or sanders???????I would think they would rather have Smith assume that role, as a 4th WR. At this point in their careers, Smith probably has more to offer

2 minutes ago, section314 said:

" This is Section 314 and I approve of this add."?

I think DT is a classic Hold the Fort Guy who seems to be one of the few players that get along with Gase.  I think the odds of him returning are a lot greater than 5%.  I would say 50%.  I think that is a good thing.  

The key question is what are the odds of Robby returning?

• Upvote 1

Just now, genot said:

I agree about drafting a WR high in the draft. That would mean he would be on the field opposite Robby, or sanders???????I would think they would rather have Smith assume that role, as a 4th WR. At this point in their careers, Smith probably has more to offer

I think we need to draft Jeudy.  He’s as can’t miss as it gets and would give Sam his go to for the next 10 years

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, varjet said:

I think DT is a classic Hold the Fort Guy who seems to be one of the few players that get along with Gase.  I think the odds of him returning are a lot greater than 5%.  I would say 50%.  I think that is a good thing.  

10%

He’s the second best available UFA WR

3 minutes ago, varjet said:

30% ?  Sounds like the team is still interested, but at this point you would think Robby should at least explore the market. Hopefully gives us the right of first refusal.

7 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

I think we need to draft Jeudy.  He’s as can’t miss as it gets and would give Sam his go to for the next 10 years

My feeling is any big target WR, that could give us, what we hoped Enunwa would give us would be just fine. On the condition that we resign Robby. There are like 5 or 6 guys that fit that description that we could draft in the 2nd or even 3rd round. With herndon back, we should be just fine, if everything else falls into place. Better o-line, better sam.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, genot said:

My feeling is any big target WR, that could give us, what we hoped Enunwa would give us would be just fine. On the condition that we resign Robby. There are like 5 or 6 guys that fit that description that we could draft in the 2nd or even 3rd round. With herndon back, we should be just fine, if everything else falls into place. Better o-line, better sam.

It comes down to do you want to give Robby $50 million or Beachum $12 million

18 minutes ago, section314 said:

30% ?  Sounds like the team is still interested, but at this point you would think Robby should at least explore the market. Hopefully gives us the right of first refusal.

I know that happened with Barr but it does not happen very often.  Other teams really don't like that.  Robby will get an offer from another team that will expire if he leaves their building.  That is why so many contracts are signed on visit day.  

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Beachum would be signed as a stop gap. Robby,[at 26]. would be signed as a long term, integral part of our offense. I don't see why signing both for those reasons wouldn't be an option.

Re-signing DT should be more of a plan B type move.  If we can't add enough younger and faster options in both FA and the draft, then fine, re-sign DT.  But, imo, it should be more of a fallback option than a plan A.

I think between the draft and free agency,  we will have three or four new wide receivers that realistically will have a chance to start.

Demaryius Thomas knows the system and is a veteran. It is a smart move to keep him on board as this will make the transition easier for the younger players on offense.

20 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Except these are not anywhere close to the choices. 

• No one is guaranteeing Anderson $50MM. He’ll likely get just 1 fully guaranteed season. 
  • And if on-paper contract length bugs you still, Beachum isn’t signing just a 1 year deal either. He’s 30, not 37.

So it most definitely doesn’t come down to this.

20 hours ago, genot said:

Beachum would be signed as a stop gap. Robby,[at 26]. would be signed as a long term, integral part of our offense. I don't see why signing both for those reasons wouldn't be an option.

Both should be stop gaps, so an unready rookie isn’t forced onto the field day 1 (since they need 2 starting tackles and 2 starting WRs), and not if they can’t beat out the competition of these returning players.

There’s every likelihood Beachum has a longer starting career than Anderson, and gets more guaranteed time than Anderson.

They’re 4 years apart. I think there’s a presumption Beachum is nearing retirement for some unknown reason, when he’s a full year younger than Trent Williams. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Both should be stop gaps, so an unready rookie isn’t forced onto the field day 1 (since they need 2 starting tackles and 2 starting WRs), and not if they can’t beat out the competition of these returning players.

There’s every likelihood Beachum has a longer starting career than Anderson, and gets more guaranteed time than Anderson.

They’re 4 years apart. I think there’s a presumption Beachum is nearing retirement for some unknown reason, when he’s a full year younger than Trent Williams. 

yep.  i'm not getting this quickness to launch beachum for a guy like williams.  beachum has been pretty much injury free during his time as a jet and has played okay.  yes he's not great but when we're talking about hold the fort guys then he's just as good as the other ones.

23 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Be VERY careful about throwing around the "can't miss" moniker for WR's.

Here is a short list of WR's who were all labeled as "can't miss" at one time:

Justin Blackmon

Ashlee Lelie

Charles Rogers

Reggie Williams

Mike Williams

David Terrell

Darrius Heyward-Bey

Peter Warrick

Kevin White

I mean, I love Jeudy.  And if there is a run of OT's, we could either take him, or potentially move down in the draft for a team who might want him if he is there.  We could then go O-Line heavy in 2nd and 3rd round.  I just get VERY leery when we start saying WR's are can't miss. 

• Post of the Week 1