Competence and Confidence in the Front Office - My Draft Review

15 hours ago, NOSIDE said:

Hey correct me if I’m wrong... 

Seems like all the players that got multi year deals - GVR, McGovern, Lewis- JOE D didn’t draft those positions 

The guys with 1 year deals- Fant is essentially 1 year, Jordan Jenkins, Poole, Desir, Perriman - We drafted all those positions in case we don’t re sign those guys. Is that accurate?

if so, that’s extremely calculated and executed! 

Lewis is also effectively a 1yr deal with team options and Clark is a guard

19 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I get it but what’s up with the all the former Colts’ CBs?

Hairston, Desir and now Quincy Wilson???  Is Indianapolis some Cornerback powerhouse with excessive talent that teams are looking to tap?

Just seems odd.

Rex Hogan was there so he scouted them, knows who they are. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Understood....but does that knowledge mean the Colts were the best/only source of CB trades?  I like that we really know what we’re getting in these guys due to Hogan’s intimate knowledge of them, so the cost/value is probably right which is good.  It still just seems odd that we’ve now gotten 3 CBs from the Colts in the past 10 months.

And a safety in Farley. 

Taking Jauan Jennings WR Tennessee instead of the Punter would have made it a perfect draft for me. But I still can't complain. Best draft since 2006 easily. I'm glad we have this Douglas guy. He's going to get us in the hunt again. Know's how to build a team/depth.

There were rumors in the afternoon on Thursday prior to Round 1 that there was going to be a "run on Tackles early" and that the Jets were exploring ways to trade up from #11 and get ahead of Cleveland.  This seemed to be confirmed in an article about the Jaguars draft where direct quotes were attributed to their GM Caldwell saying the Jets had a good package to come up to #9.  The Jags were also talking to Atlanta about coming up to #9 but didn't like the offer as much.  In any case, once Miami (5 - Tua), Chargers (6-Herbert), Carolina (7 - Brown), and Arizona (8 - Simmons) all passed on OT the Jets called the Jags and saying, "we're staying put."  Douglas had assessed that he didn't want to move up to #9, that the Jaguars wouldn't take an OT, and that even with CLE likely taking an OT he'd still be left with a choice of 2 OTs.
It was smart not to panic and not to leapfrog Cleveland.  Joe didn't panic but obviously had a contingency in place.  My guess is that if Miami or Arizona had taken an OT like Becton then the Jets may have moved up.

Interesting. That mims trade down was brilliant and definitely supports the idea that he has things well thought out.
In the jets scouts series of mock scenarios there were probably low probability that a WR would be taken between 48-59. So they pulled the trigger.

There were many times I came away impressed. So this idea is not far fetched.

Thanks for the info.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 2

Hairston, Desir and now Quincy Wilson???  Is Indianapolis some Cornerback powerhouse with excessive talent that teams are looking to tap?
Just seems odd.

I listened to a podcast with an impressive breakdown of why the colts have been getting rid of their CB’s recently. It was pretty interesting. I’ll be paraphrase a bit.

The colts changed their cover 3 defense to another scheme predicated on different skill sets. Guys like desir and Wilson had much better 2018 seasons than 2019 for this reason. They didn’t transition well and don’t seem to be the long term options for the newer scheme. So it’s not as if we are scooping up their garbage, which was one of my thoughts, it’s more about then moving on from guys who won’t be the long term answer.

There is a real possibility that some of these guys will be able to help the Jets more than they would be the Colts.
I hope this is the case because I REALLY wanted Kenny Willekas with that last pick.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

On 4/25/2020 at 11:36 PM, jetstream23 said:

Just seems odd.

maybe, but they're all young guys and have some talent.  i have faith that douglas is getting good players.

• Upvote 1

In one interview JD said the jets had done many, many mock drafts and had emphasized worst case scenarios so they would be prepared for anything. I feel like past Jet GMs mocked the first round only. Anyway, JDs preparation was on full display this draft. He had total command of the talent pool at each tier, and expertly converted his preparedness into more picks by trading down. I have never been more excited by a Jet GM. Finally, the Jets are being guided by a knowledgeable steady hand who has no interest in making back page headlines. IMO it won’t be long before he is consIdered among the top GMs.

in JD we trust.

• Sympathy 3

On 4/26/2020 at 12:45 AM, Dupe said:

So many lament not picking up late wide recievers.   Will we ever hear the names Duvernay, Bryan Edwards, Donovan Peoples-Jones and AGG?  Probably not much. 

Yeah, Duvernay has been described as more of a running back at WR. There has to be some fit with your receiver corps. DPJ was passed up so many times it was painful. He just didn't have the production in college. Bryan Edwards -- that was the hard one. He's the real deal. Would have been nice as a depth signing but that meant giving up Zuniga.

Here's the crux of he debate: 4th round. Perine, Morgan, Clark. I can't see a better RB there than Perine (McFarland is much more one dimensional and apparently a serious attitude issue). Gabriel Davis or Gandy-Golden for Morgan? Clark, we have to assume was scouted as better than the guys that followed, so hard to drop a name in there. Only slot that's really debatable is Morgan. Jets needed a back up QB... they clearly liked Morgan. It's not so obvious that they should have gone WR there. A back-up QB for the future is substantially more important than a depth receiver.

14 120 Lamical Perine Jets RB Florida
  15 121 Logan Stenberg Lions G Kentucky
  16 122 Jacob Eason Colts QB Washington
  17 123 Reggie Robinson Cowboys DB Tulsa
  18 124 Anthony McFarland Jr. Steelers RB Maryland
  19 125 James Morgan Jets QB Florida International
  20 126 Charlie Heck Texans T North Carolina
  21 127 K'Von Wallace Eagles DB Clemson
  22 128 Gabriel Davis Bills WR Central Florida
  23 129 Cameron Clark Jets G Charlotte
  24 130 James Lynch Vikings DE Baylor
  25 131 Rashard Lawrence Cardinals DT Louisiana State
  26 132 Troy Dye Vikings LB Oregon
  27 133 Colby Parkinson Seahawks TE Stanford
  28 134 Jaylinn Hawkins Falcons DB California
  29 135 Kevin Dotson Steelers G Louisiana-Lafayette
  30 136 Brycen Hopkins Rams TE Purdue
  31 137 Josiah Scott Jaguars DB Michigan State
  32 138 L'Jarius Sneed Chiefs DB Louisiana Tech
  33 139 Amik Robertson Raiders DB Louisiana Tech
  34 140 Shaquille Quarterman Jaguars LB Miami (FL)
  35 141 John Reid Texans DB Penn State
  36 142 Antonio Gandy-Golden Redskins WR Liberty
  37 143 Ben Bredeson Ravens G Michigan
  38 144 DeeJay Dallas Seahawks RB Miami (FL)
  39 145 Jack Driscoll Eagles T Auburn
  40 146 Tyler Biadasz Cowboys C Wisconsin
5 1 147 Khalid Kareem Bengals DE Notre Dame
  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

On 4/25/2020 at 11:33 PM, Skeptable said:

Trading for Wilson should not be underrated and has now signed 4 more UDFA DBs... It shows that he shares the same concern as you and knows he can't fix it all at once.

The fact that we landed guys like Hall, Wilson, and Lamar JACKSON (undrafted) is incredible.  Also signing Desir this year, who definitely has a chip on his shoulder and wants to prove that he’s the real deal after a disappointing 2019, and the fact that we have a handful of young promising CBs in Bless Austin and Nate Hairston.  And add stud, Brian Poole...the competition is going to be INCREDIBLE!  I think our secondary will be MUCH better!

• Upvote 1

Sometimes when I go to a restaurant there are so many awesome things I would love to try and yet I pick one or two knowing that I need to come back

I really crave more weapons especially wide recievers.  As of now though I like all the guys we picked.  If you were surprised by a pick accept it as a  learning experience. 

Didn’t know where to throw this article and didn’t want to start another thread, but it’s a decent read.  

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/new-york-jets-nfl-draft-class-2020

Jets general manager Joe Douglas had quite a bit of work to do in his first offseason with the franchise. 

The offensive line had holes everywhere, quarterback Sam Darnold needed more weapons, cornerback was a major concern and New York’s pass-rushing options were slim. After a fairly aggressive free agency period to address needs, Douglas pieced together an impressive inaugural draft class to significantly strengthen the roster as the Jets hope to build on their hot finish. 

New York's 2020 draft picks:

BEST PICK: MEKHI BECTON

Douglas signed several free agent offensive linemen to help solve New York’s issues up front and was wise to continue investing in protection for Darnold via the draft. Darnold was sacked on 7% of his dropbacks, and his ball security issues didn’t go away as a sophomore; it’s a problem that dates back to college.

Darnold needs a strong line to develop and reach his ceiling. Becton is a rare talent in terms of size, power and mobility. He can blast open holes in the run game and he’s a lot for pass rushers to get around. Credit to Douglas for understanding the depth of the wide receiver class and waiting until Day 2 to add a weapon while prioritizing the offensive line with the eleventh-overall pick. 

BIGGEST SURPRISE: BRYCE HALL SLIDING

Hall was perceived by some to be the first cornerback drafted in 2019, but he opted to return to Virginia for his senior season. Unfortunately, his season ended prematurely after suffering a serious left ankle injury in October. In an unusual draft cycle, where the normal medical checks were unavailable for teams, that injury absolutely played into his slide down the board. 

Hall is a long, rangy corner with terrific ball skills, zone awareness and football character. He is a converted wide receiver and is still developing as a defensive back, but his transition has been promising. Hall deserved to be picked much higher, and the Jets landed a steal at No. 158. 

DAY 3 SLEEPER: CAMERON CLARK

Clark was my favorite sleeper offensive linemen entering the draft. He was a 35-game starter in college and Charlotte’s offensive MVP in 2017 as well as a team captain in 2018 and 2019. He is highly regarded for his leadership and football character, something that appeared to be a notable theme in nearly all of Douglas’ selections. 

Despite coming from Conference USA, Clark proved he belongs after dominating Clemson defensive linemen when he got the chance to play the Tigers in 2019. He is a mauler in the run game with heavy hands and a powerful core. Clark has some technique items to clean up in pass protection, but everything is correctable in terms of his hand and footwork. He profiles as an eventual impact starter. 

X-FACTOR: ASHTYN DAVIS

This selection caught some by surprise, given the stellar safety tandem of Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye that is already in place. Perhaps there is some foresight to be mindful of in this selection given both Maye and Adams are due for new contracts in the very near future but it’s exciting to think about the schematic options this new trio of safeties provide. 

Davis is a rangy centerfielder that thrives in single-high safety defenses where his range and ball skills shine. This could allow Adams and Maye to defend split zones and have more opportunities to secure coverage spacing underneath Davis. The arrival of Davis enables Maye and Davis’ versatility to be fully taken advantage of. 

SUMMARY

The Jets assembled arguably the best draft class in the NFL. Every pick was a plus value at positions of need with prospects I like. Douglas collected an impressive haul of talented players to help set the course of the team moving forward. In an AFC East that no longer includes Tom Brady, New York did well to position itself to compete as the 2020 class develops.

I very much enjoyed this draft.  Having a competent GM makes such a difference to my blood pressure (I admit that every Mac draft after the first round was like dragging my nails on a blackboard).

A few things to read into this.

1) Despite saying he went BPA, he really went need.  That's gratifying to the fans but it doesn't necessarily make the best longterm outcomes.  On the other hand he simply had no choice.  We *had* to take a tackle in the first to protect our longterm franchise future.  I think there were better players available, and Beckton is my least favorite choice of the drat, but we needed something.  We also had to take cheap rookie options at QB, WR and CB b/c we don't have the cap space to fit starters in and he did.  We also have a potential replacement for Jamal, if contract talks go south (so hes covering his ass and keeping options open, again a refreshing take).

2) He maneuvered the board extremely well. something that Mac never did in his entire tenure.  The Mims pick was excellent in that regard.

3) He picked longterm projects, instead of day zero starters with an emphasis on athleticism.  Again, I like that from the point of view of our franchise.  Its a realistic take of how long it will take to get there.  It makes sense to err on the side of projects as opposed to win now players.

I have no idea if these picks will work out or not. one never does.  But the strategy was correct across the board.  The fact that he had to take need in this draft (and really only in this draft) was clear, and the rest of the picks all sort of reinforced what his take on our timeline is.

So I give him an A+

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

DAY 3 SLEEPER: CAMERON CLARK

Clark was my favorite sleeper offensive linemen entering the draft. He was a 35-game starter in college and Charlotte’s offensive MVP in 2017 as well as a team captain in 2018 and 2019. He is highly regarded for his leadership and football character, something that appeared to be a notable theme in nearly all of Douglas’ selections. 

Despite coming from Conference USA, Clark proved he belongs after dominating Clemson defensive linemen when he got the chance to play the Tigers in 2019. He is a mauler in the run game with heavy hands and a powerful core. Clark has some technique items to clean up in pass protection, but everything is correctable in terms of his hand and footwork. He profiles as an eventual impact starter. 

Nice!

Clark was the guy I knew least about by far in this Draft.  Almost all reviews have been positive about him. It sounds like the only real concerns where his level of competition in college and that he needs some work in term of pass pro technique.  If you trust that his performance vs. Clemson is emblematic of who he really is then this is a great Day 3 pick with big upside.  Thanks for sharing!

On 4/25/2020 at 11:37 PM, Skeptable said:

Hogan drafted them all. And Indy was stacked at DBs

On 4/25/2020 at 11:38 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

Assistant GM Rex Hogan was the VP of Player Personnel in Indy before joining JD's staff.  That's the connection that made those moves happen. 

+ the Colts changed their D from man to zone, so all those players that Hogan helped scout and add, are no longer ideal for the system they run

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1