Flacco Speaks!!!

14 minutes ago, TNJet said:

Flacco is here to make sure we don't go 0-7 again. Nice pickup.

Saw the other day that Flacco won't be ready for our opener.  What if Darnold gets hurt week one (remember Vinny's injury)?  Why sign a guy coming off neck surgery in April?

Flacco (neck) confirmed Tuesday he won't be healthy in time for the Jets' season opener against the Bills on Sept. 13, Rich Cimini of ESPN.com reports.

This was speculated after the veteran quarterback underwent a disc repair procedure in early April, and the Jets were aware of the recovery timeline when they signed him to a one-year, $1.5 million deal last week. Flacco will serve as the top backup to Sam Darnold once healthy, but David Fales and rookie James Morgan will compete in training camp for the job until the veteran is able to suit up. Flacco could still be cleared for contact sometime in September.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1250697/joe-flacco

34 minutes ago, TNJet said:

Flacco is here to make sure we don't go 0-7 again. Nice pickup.

Yup, we'd go 2-5 instead.

Still, any improvement is still an improvement, I suppose.

For once I was hopping we were actually going to draft and groom our own #2 QB, especially given how little will be on the line, playoff-wise, in 2020.

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

For once I was hopping we were actually going to draft and groom our own #2 QB, especially given how little will be on the line, playoff-wise, in 2020.

Didn’t we? 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

I don't know....did we?

If we had faith in Darnold and Morgan, we didn't need Flacco.

Or did we?

Not sure obviously but we at least bought the lottery ticket. Why would we have faith in Darnold or Morgan? Sam’s got a lot to prove and hasn’t played a full season yet. Morgan Is a late round pick with big arm who has never played a snap in the NFL. Flacco is here to eventually heal up and possibly play if Needed. How early a pick would you like to drop on a backup QB. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

35 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Saw the other day that Flacco won't be ready for our opener.  What if Darnold gets hurt week one (remember Vinny's injury)?  Why sign a guy coming off neck surgery in April?

What are the real options, ones that are available to be a backup that are worth a damn over waiting a little bit?  

17 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I don't know....did we?

Or did we?

Because Morgan, who some of us feel has talent, is green as they come and needs time to learn and develop?  

Might be better to be the three and learn?

No?

I think Morgan is going to surprise people, it may take a season before he is ready, which won’t help this year. Yet, if he is what i saw playing against superior talent (canes), we have an unpolished gem.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Perhaps Douglas foresees a delay to the start of the season?  

Assuming the season does start on time, I imagine Mike White could play a crucial role in the preseason prep.  He might just end up being the QB2 for however long it takes Flacco to heal up, while presumably Morgan is the QB3 and Fales tries to grab a Practice Squad spot.  

It's certainly not an ideal situation.  But if Darnold gets hurt early on and misses Week 1 (or more) we have bigger concerns anyways; Darnold will have then missed out on 7+ games in his career already due to various ailments/injuries.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

So when? Game 16? If he’s not ready for game 1 then when. And that just signifies he’d have to get in ‘game shape’ and how long does that take? By game 2,3,4,5,6? This makes no sense.

If we were paying Flacco high end backup money, I'd be concerned about this.  At $1.5M (and no higher than $4.5M due to playing time/performance), it doesn't matter much to me. 

People freak out about the backup QB job way too much in these parts.  This is a 6-8 win team next year.  I'll be concerned about the QB2 spot when the team is good enough to require a decent one's services to help secure us a division title and/or playoff victory when Darnold misses a game or 2.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

I don't know....did we?

Or did we?

Flacco is here on a 1-year deal.  With a limited/delayed offseason coming up, it would have been a lot to ask for Morgan to be handed the QB2 keys right away.  He's not a polished prospect, hence why he was available in the 4th round in the first place.  You seem to be all about immediate gratification (as you displayed in the Denzel Mims thread) but that isn't always the case for prospects.  

The plan seems to be for Morgan to be the QB2 starting in 2021, and that's fine with me.  If he hasn't earned the job by then and we still need to sign a veteran backup, I'll be prepared to start calling it a waste of a pick.  

• Upvote 2

Also, @Warfish, keep in mind how long it took your boy Kirk Cousins (also a 4th round pick) to develop.  

Through Cousins' first 3 seasons in the league (14 games, including 9 starts), his numbers looked like this:  2-7 record, 240/407 (59 %), 3,030 yards,18 TDs, 19 INT's, 7.4 Yards/Attempt. 

Yes, he ended up a QB1.  But he barely looked like a capable QB2 those first 3 seasons.  

16 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If we were paying Flacco high end backup money, I'd be concerned about this.  At $1.5M (and no higher than $4.5M due to playing time/performance), it doesn't matter much to me. 

People freak out about the backup QB job way too much in these parts.  This is a 6-8 win team next year.  I'll be concerned about the QB2 spot when the team is good enough to require a decent one's services to help secure us a division title and/or playoff victory when Darnold misses a game or 2.

Didn’t know he  was that cheap. Bargain. But 6-8 win team? Really? We won 7 last year with a bottom barrel team. And the Patsies are now patsies w/o Brady. Our only comp in the division are the Bills and they ain’t nothin to write home about. We win the East with 10-11 wins.

12 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Didn’t know he  was that cheap. Bargain. But 6-8 win team? Really? We won 7 last year with a bottom barrel team. And CD the Patsies are now patsies w/o Brady. Our only comp in thh J e division is the Bills and they ain’t nothin to write home v about. We win the East with 10-11 wins.

We had one of the 2 easiest schedules in the league last year.  That won't be the case this season.  There isn't a single easy-looking game on the schedule. 

And while we traveled the least amount of total distance on road games last season of any team in the NFL, this year we have 3 west coast trips (@ Chargers, @ Seahawks, @ Rams) along with a game @ KC, where we never win.

The Patriots outscored us by a total of 49 points and went 12-4 with Brady playing at QB16/QB17  levels all season so don't exactly expect a sweep over them, either.  They aren't built on their offense anymore.  NE and Buffalo will duke it out for the division title, and I wouldn't be surprised at all for the Patriots to come out on top, no matter how loaded the Bills' roster is.  Belichick is still there, the same guy that went 11-5 with Matt Cassel as his QB.

Vegas has us at 6.5-7 wins and you say 10-11?  Come on.  We only had two 10+ win seasons the entire last decade, and JD didn't magically give us a winning roster overnight.  It takes time to clean up the mess Macc made the previous 5 years.

I think this team will shine in 2021 after another solid offseason, with JD taking some bigger swings with his free agent acquisitions than he did this past offseason.  But 2020 just isn't going to be our year unless Darnold puts up an absolute monster year.  I'd love for that to happen, but I just don't see it.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Well, JD drafted Morgan.  He has ability that impressed a bunch of people including Belichick.  I was wondering why JD would draft a developmental back-up QB when they clearly needed an experienced pro that could come in and play no questions asked.  With the Joe F. signing, it all works out.  JF can be their pro ready back-up while Morgan trains.  The gap in the plan is JF's health status.  If he will miss one or two games, no problem, but if he is not ready to start by say, game three.... Well... Then they don't really have a game ready back-up for Sam.  I guess JD and the Jets medical staff feel that JF wont miss any significant time...

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Because Morgan, who some of us feel has talent, is green as they come and needs time to learn and develop?  

Might be better to be the three and learn?

No?

Right?  How does adding a Super Bowl champion QB hurt the development of Morgan?  Wouldnt he, idk, help the development of both young QB's?  I know Sam loved having Joshy around and while Joshy seems like a great dude, he was a sh*tty back-up journeyman his whole career.  Not a franchise QB who basically made the playoffs every year, oh and won a Super Bowl as a starter.   That seems like a good dude to have around to help develop the QB's and a much safer play if Darnold happens to unfortunately go down at some point.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, fltflo said:

I think Morgan is going to surprise people, it may take a season before he is ready, which won’t help this year. Yet, if he is what i saw playing against superior talent (canes), we have an unpolished gem.

Seems a lot of pundits are high on him.  I just hope Flacco will be ready sooner than later.  As much potential as Morgan has, all seem to agree he is at least a season or two away from being able to take snaps in a regular season game... If Sam goes down and Flacco is not ready, what are they gonna do ??? Call Tom Tupa and sign him to half season contact ??? Or maybe Vinny T is still in game shape... 

2 hours ago, fltflo said:

I like Morgan as well. 

More I like the IDEA of what Morgan could represent:  Home Grown Drafted Young QB Prospect Backup.

Personally, I would have gone into 2020 with Darnold/Morgan.  I wouldn't have signed Flacco.

With that said, he is cheap as chips, and I understand our GM clearly doesn;t think Morgan is ready to play if needed yet.

Best case, Morgan kicks ass in camp, we drop Flacco, and move forward with our #1/#2 and don't need to carry three QB's.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Also, @Warfish, keep in mind how long it took your boy Kirk Cousins (also a 4th round pick) to develop.  

Through Cousins' first 3 seasons in the league (14 games, including 9 starts), his numbers looked like this:  2-7 record, 240/407 (59 %), 3,030 yards,18 TDs, 19 INT's, 7.4 Yards/Attempt. 

Yes, he ended up a QB1.  But he barely looked like a capable QB2 those first 3 seasons.  

He was drafted and playing behind a guy who looked like the next coming of Mike Vick. 

That's why he didn't play, not because he wasn't good enough/ready.

14 minutes ago, Warfish said:

He was drafted and playing behind a guy who looked like the next coming of Mike Vick. 

That's why he didn't play, not because he wasn't good enough/ready.

Yes but my point is over the course of 3 seasons he got 14 chances to play, including 9 starts, and underwhelmed.  It took time (4 years) to develop him into what he became, a middle-tier QB1.  

15 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Yes.

I've been patient for more than 40 years.

I'm not patient anymore. 

Show me, don't tell me you'll show me eventually, maybe.

Agreed regarding the franchise as a whole.  I'm impatient too.

But in practical terms, JD was never going to be able to deliver a Super Bowl in year 1 no matter what he did.  Keeping his eyes on 2021 was the right play after 5 consecutive bad drafts out of his predecessor.

• Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

I don't know....did we?

Or did we?

Huh?

We had no faith in Fales if Darnold went down and Morgan is a developmental "project" not really meant for this year.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Right?  How does adding a Super Bowl champion QB hurt the development of Morgan?  Wouldnt he, idk, help the development of both young QB's?  I know Sam loved having Joshy around and while Joshy seems like a great dude, he was a sh*tty back-up journeyman his whole career.  Not a franchise QB who basically made the playoffs every year, oh and won a Super Bowl as a starter.   That seems like a good dude to have around to help develop the QB's and a much safer play if Darnold happens to unfortunately go down at some point.  

Yeah but are you sure that you want to be bold and say he could help Darnold and Morgan before he actually does?  Shouldn’t you wait until it goes well, wait for Darnold and Morgan to actually benefit first?  ?