My crazy guess at Top 5 Possible Surprise Jets Cuts

53 minutes ago, David Harris said:

cashman is locked up for years on a 5th round contract and plays ST

Somebody decent has to get cut at ILB.  There's a good possibility we even cut 2 guys from the top 6 on the ILB depth chart.

Who are you cutting if not Cashman?

• Upvote 3

I could see Wesco being cut if Douglas decides his ceiling has been reached as an occasional full back/H back.  Those other guys are conditional on how things play out in camp. I could easily see us holding onto them because of certain positional needs.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Somebody decent has to get cut at ILB.  There's a good possibility we even cut 2 guys from the top 6 on the ILB depth chart.

Who are they- lemme see

CJ

Avery

Onuwasor 

Hewett

burgess

cashman

hmm maybe you’re right

maybe Avery for the cap? Does burgess or Hewitt play outside at all? Maybe it is Cashman. Rosters are expanding this year though as well

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Depends.  Is Mosely going to be ready?

1 hour ago, David Harris said:

Who are they- lemme see

CJ

Avery

Onuwasor 

Hewett

burgess

cashman

hmm maybe you’re right

maybe Avery for the cap? Does burgess or Hewitt play outside at all? Maybe it is Cashman. Rosters are expanding this year though as well

Williamson would cost us $2M in dead money if we cut him.  Not a huge number of course but enough to suggest he might be safe.  The time to cut him would have been earlier in the offseason if we needed some money for free agent(s).  Now that that time has passed, it makes little sense.  

Hewitt would cost $1M in dead cap so I think he's safer than the other guys as well.

Burgess, Cashman, or both would be the best bets.  

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Alka said:

I agree with you regarding Wesco, Cashman and Anderson.  I disagree with you strongly regarding Harrison and Jenkins.  Not only has Jenkins proven himself and can rush the passer, but the Jets just resigned him to a cap friendly deal.  Jenkins is going nowhere.

I will add two to the three that I agree with you.  I would have added Winters, but you exempted him to the list.  Frankie Luvu would be my #4, and #5 Josh Doctson.

I say Doctson because I feel that we have 1 or 2 players that we signed as free agents after the draft that I think may be keepers.  Crowder, Mims, Crager, Campbell, Perriman could be the 5 that we keep.

I will be utterly shocked if Vyncint isnt on the roster.. He's young big and fast and noticeably improved at the end of the year. He is WAY ahead of Crager and Campbell on the draft chart in my view

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I can't possibly see how we transition to 4-3 as long as CJ Mosley is on the roster (and he'll very likely be here the next 2 seasons based on the financials).  

I think Jenkins is far more likely to get an extension after the season than be cut.  Even if Zuniga and Huff work out as pass rushers, Jenkins is a solid OLB on the other side in the Calvin Pace mold.  As long as we're running 3-4 primarily he carries value. 

If I'm wrong I'll gladly take the potential comp pick.  And that's another good reason not to cut Jenkins or any decent players scheduled to be UFA's after the season; the comp pick battle.  That might be a big reason we didn't seek cap relief by cutting Williamson or Winters.  It could even contribute to fringe guys like Josh Doctson, Arthur Maulet, James Burgess, Jonotthan Harrison and Josh Andrews making the team; all of which will be UFA's after 2020. Anybody who can help us win the comp pick battle next offseason carries a slight uptick on their chances of making the team,

These bottom of the roster guys who get signed to vet minimum short term contracts don’t tilt the comp pick meter very much, if at all.  Some of these potential cuts and fringe players, would have to surprise and have great seasons,  and then not get resigned.   I guess if we have a ton of injuries, they could get the chance but even with strong play most ended up back here again for cheap.  Otherwise they’ll mostly be back ups.  

Williamson, Jenkins and Perriman would be the exceptions- with a good years they could end up signing long term with us or someone else for real money.

20 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Good list. As much as people wanted to like Cashman, the red flag on him was that his shoulder was shot, and he got hurt again. James Burgess stepped in and was probably the Jets best front-seven player down the stretch. 

Wasn’t it both shoulders were destroyed in college?  And shockingly he was injured again?  

• Upvote 2

On 5/29/2020 at 3:21 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

The other thing going against Cashman is he’s also competing against guys who are also good on specials. Bello and Langi contributed more than he did on special teams and could sneak in if the team decides to go that route.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

16 hours ago, Alka said:

I agree with you regarding Wesco, Cashman and Anderson.  I disagree with you strongly regarding Harrison and Jenkins.  Not only has Jenkins proven himself and can rush the passer, but the Jets just resigned him to a cap friendly deal.  Jenkins is going nowhere.

I will add two to the three that I agree with you.  I would have added Winters, but you exempted him to the list.  Frankie Luvu would be my #4, and #5 Josh Doctson.

I say Doctson because I feel that we have 1 or 2 players that we signed as free agents after the draft that I think may be keepers.  Crowder, Mims, Crager, Campbell, Perriman could be the 5 that we keep.

Doctson has a show-me deal, and he's gonna have to show it in training camp or he's gone. I expect the Jets to keep six WRs and today, for me, they would be Crowder, Perriman, Mims, Vyncint Smith, Berrios, and maybe Cager. And then they'll be looking at other teams' cuts. The Jets are still weak at WR. 

Luvu is definitely on the bubble with Zuniga and Huff now on the team. 

As has been stated, Anderson sticks because his $7M salary this year is fully guaranteed. Cashman looked good when healthy, but his health is a major concern. If he's in a close race, I'd probably give it to the guy I think can stay on the field. 

I'd love for Wesco to make the team. Keep him as a blocker and have Darnold throw a soft pass in his direction every once in a while so he can run into and over people. That's fun! But the TE room is a little crowded for him. He's the guy they'd put in the FB spot right now if they needed one, but teams put DTs there, sometimes, too. I hope he crushes it on specials. 

• Upvote 2

If we cut harrison who exactly would be the backup center?  

Given the age of our line, we likely won't be paying anyone over $10 million per year until (god willing) Becton's rookie deal is up, so investing money in a backup center who you can actually trust is a good move in my opinion.

Id rather we extend him another year at under $2 million and ensure we have 2 centers that Sam can trust.

• Upvote 1

I imagine we’ll be scouring the waiver wire, waiting for an interior OL with versatility to get cut loose. Don’t rule out Leo Koloamatangi or Jimmy Murray passing him on the depth chart, either. Both were JD additions in ‘19 who spent the season on the practice squad.   

Harrison is clearly not a JD or Gase guy, as evidenced by how long they stuck with an over-the-hill Kalil at C last season. If they can find anyone decent to replace him, they will.

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I imagine we’ll be scouring the waiver wire, waiting for an interior OL with versatility to get cut loose. Don’t rule out Leo Koloamatangi or Jimmy Murray passing him on the depth chart, either. Both were JD additions in ‘19 who spent the season on the practice squad.   

Harrison is clearly not a JD or Gase guy, as evidenced by how long they stuck with an over-the-hill Kalil at C last season. If they can find anyone decent to replace him, they will.

Please do not cut Harrison 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, BCJet said:

Given the age of our line, we likely won't be paying anyone over $10 million per year until (god willing) Becton's rookie deal is up, so investing money in a backup center who you can actually trust is a good move in my opinion.

Id rather we extend him another year at under $2 million and ensure we have 2 centers that Sam can trust.

Andrews and Harrison will be competing for the backup center spot. If we cut Harrison, likely means Andrews outplayed him in training camp.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

No way Jenks or Cashman gets cut loose. Cashman had some good moments and he’s just a kid. Has really promising potential. Hopefully he can get healthy and stay free of injuries. Worth the gamble to keep him. 

If Cashman is a lock, then Burgess is a goner.  It would also mean we carry at least 5 ILB's.  That's a lot, even with rosters expanding to 55.

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If Cashman is a lock, then Burgess is a goner.  It would also mean we carry at least 5 ILB's.  That's a lot, even with rosters expanding to 55.

I see Cashman on the practice squad, or cut. I like him, I just feel his shoulders are fooked.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

I see Cashman on the practice squad, or cut. I like him, I just feel his shoulders are fooked.

Practice squad would probably be a good move if they can stash him there. Give him another year in the training program without the potential to get hurt again. I like him as a player, too, but I definitely don't trust his health. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1