My crazy guess at Top 5 Possible Surprise Jets Cuts

Agree that Wesco is in trouble if he doesn't show anything or without an injury within the unit 

Anderson fell off the map a year ago and looked like the slow lug the Colts were eager to move.

Cashman never impressed me, while I loved his hustle he seemed to be out of position all too often and seemed slow to react to make up space

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Who might be "surprise" cuts the Jets might make prior to the 2020 season? For this thread we won't count Brian Winters or Avery Wiliamson as "surprises" if they got cut

Wild Guess / Thinking Out Loud - Top 5 Potential "Surprise" Cuts 

1. Trevon Wesco -TE/H Back - I like the kid and think he has potential but with Griffin, Herdon and Brown at TE, There might not be a place for Wesco. He did a decent job at H Back but doesn't add much on special teams. Could be the odd man out if Jets decide to keep an extra player at another position 
  2. Blake Cashman - ILB - No doubt he did some really nice things when thrown into the deep end of the pool last year. If Mosley is healthy and Jets keep Williamson and with several other options at ILB, Cashman could be gone. It would be surprising, yes, but it's possible. He could go to the Practice Squad if we could sneak him through 
  3. Jonotthan Harrison - C/G - Certainly a hard working and reliable veteran - stepped in 2 years in a row to stabilize a disaster at C, but will battle Josh Andrews and maybe even draftee Cameron Clark  for that spot.
  4. Jordan Jenkins - OLB - Another player I like and a solid vet. But if the Jets play more 4-3, if draftee Jabari Zuniga and UDFA Bryce Huff look good in preseason and athletic guys like Jordan Willis or John Frnklin Myers get healthy, maybe Jenkins could be gone - unlikely yes
  5. Henry Anderson - DE - Looked great 2 years ago, less so last year. If Kyle Phillips continues to improve and if Willis or Franklin-Myers or even Zuniga plays DE instead of OLB, Anderson might be a surprise cut 

can't argue much about wesco and anderson.  i think it depends on cashman's injuries.  jenkins?  hard to cut a guy who's there game in and game out.  harrison? good backup/starter.  hard to swap the known for the unknown.

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Good list. As much as people wanted to like Cashman, the red flag on him was that his shoulder was shot, and he got hurt again. James Burgess stepped in and was probably the Jets best front-seven player down the stretch. 

Burgess did a good job in run defense but was a liability in pass defense.   Cashman has the speed to be a good pass defender so I think he stays unless he cant physically play

• Upvote 4

Not a bad list, but nobody particularly surprising.  I think Jenkins is the least likely of the bunch because this FO actually re-upped him though the money is kind of light.  Wesco probably wouldn't surprise anybody, but I think he did play more significant snaps as the season wore on.  Not sure if that was based on improving play, the injuries to Griffin and Herndon, or an audition.  FWIW, I thought he played similar snaps as Brown, but bringing Brown back probably does not help his cause.  In actuality it was Wesco 214/Brown 297 both over 16 games.  Wesco didn't exactly produce, but Brown wasn't much batter and Wesco is probably a more accomplished blocker. 

• Upvote 1

I can't possibly see how we transition to 4-3 as long as CJ Mosley is on the roster (and he'll very likely be here the next 2 seasons based on the financials).  

I think Jenkins is far more likely to get an extension after the season than be cut.  Even if Zuniga and Huff work out as pass rushers, Jenkins is a solid OLB on the other side in the Calvin Pace mold.  As long as we're running 3-4 primarily he carries value. 

If I'm wrong I'll gladly take the potential comp pick.  And that's another good reason not to cut Jenkins or any decent players scheduled to be UFA's after the season; the comp pick battle.  That might be a big reason we didn't seek cap relief by cutting Williamson or Winters.  It could even contribute to fringe guys like Josh Doctson, Arthur Maulet, James Burgess, Jonotthan Harrison and Josh Andrews making the team; all of which will be UFA's after 2020. Anybody who can help us win the comp pick battle next offseason carries a slight uptick on their chances of making the team,

• Upvote 1

Harrison yup he's 99% gone -Josh Andrews/GVR is a better combo at backup C

Wesco and Cashman can save their jobs by playing like animals on specials but agree 75% chance both are gone. Cashman's shoulder doesn't really exist anymore. 

@sec101row23 called it with Nathan Shepherd who was old when he was drafted and offers nothing on specials

Cannon is interesting because of his 4.4 speed. probably loses his KR job to Davis or someone but he could also stick by showing anything on offense catching out of the backfield. Bell is S-L-O-W slow and neither Gase nor Douglas really wants him on this roster. I think he's got a fighter's shot 50/50 if he can make big plays can take Ty Monty's role. 

the end of the roster basically comes down to who the ST coach says is useful. 

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I can't possibly see how we transition to 4-3 as long as CJ Mosley is on the roster (and he'll very likely be here the next 2 seasons based on the financials).  

I think Jenkins is far more likely to get an extension after the season than be cut.  Even if Zuniga and Huff work out as pass rushers, Jenkins is a solid OLB on the other side in the Calvin Pace mold.  As long as we're running 3-4 primarily he carries value. 

If I'm wrong I'll gladly take the potential comp pick.  And that's another good reason not to cut Jenkins or any decent players scheduled to be UFA's after the season; the comp pick battle.  That might be a big reason we didn't seek cap relief by cutting Williamson or Winters.  It could even contribute to fringe guys like Josh Doctson, Arthur Maulet, James Burgess, Jonotthan Harrison and Josh Andrews making the team; all of which will be UFA's after 2020. Anybody who can help us win the comp pick battle next offseason carries a slight uptick on their chances of making the team,

I also don't think they will cut Jenkins, but I think your analysis is way too high on the player.  Personally, I feel the same as you, but the money and lack of offers this offseason mean that other teams didn't think that highly of him and that he isn't going to rate jack for a comp pick.  Same goes with Doctson, Burgess and Maulet.  Doctson was on the street and the team didn't even bother to tender Burgess or Maulet and none got a nibble.  It may matter for Winters and Williamson, but you don't play the comp pick game with practice squad players.

• Upvote 4

Thanks sarge for posting this... I say  and  2 for sure, 3 he is a know commodity - abeit not a great one - but know and can fill both C/G roles.. so I think he may stick.   As for Jekins and Andersen they will remain.... 

I do not think that Nathan Shepherd  will be cut.  His game got better as the season progressed and was in the normal rotation so I would be surprised if he is cut.   

• Upvote 2

To sum up:  Anderson, Jenkins, Avery Williamson, Onwuasor and Neville Hewitt all appear to be safe (or safer than their competition) based on the financial hit for cutting them.  Josh Andrews is likely safer than we think, too.

Harrison and Cashman, meanwhile, are in trouble among the notable fringe guys.  The former due primarily to financials, the latter due to the depth at ILB AND the financials.  If Williamson and Hewitt are sticking around, someone has to go.  It could come down to Cashman vs. James Burgess.  Or both could end up getting cut.  

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Guys who make sense to cut based on financials and in order of cap savings (though the dead money aspect would be more important at this stage in the offseason), per overthecap.com:

• \

I don't think that it makes sense to cut anybody below Farley on that list for financial reasons. Anybody they cut will be replaced by a player making the same or more, so there won't be any savings.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't think that it makes sense to cut anybody below Farley on that list for financial reasons. Anybody they cut will be replaced by a player making the same or more, so there won't be any savings.

I'm just saying the team would be free to cut and replace them at will.  Not necessarily because of the cap SAVINGS, but moreso for the lack of a dead cap hit.  They can make their decision on all of these guys based purely on what they offer to the team rather than financials.  

Meanwhile, the 2nd list are guys they'd really have to think about before cutting, which makes their spots on the team safer.  Or the team would have to find a trade partner.

• Upvote 3

40 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Guys who make sense to cut based on financials and in order of cap savings (though the dead money aspect would be more important at this stage in the offseason), per overthecap.com:

• Winters ($7.3M savings, ZERO dead cap hit)
  • C Jonotthan Harrison ($2.25M savings, ZERO dead cap hit)
  • CB Nate Hairston ($2.1M savings, ZERO dead cap hit)
  • CB Quincy Wilson ($1.25M savings, ZERO dead cap hit)
  • S Matthias Farley ($1.2M savings, ZERO dead cap hit)
  • WR Josh Doctson ($890 K savings, ZERO dead cap hit)
  • EDGE Jordan Willis ($865K savings, ZERO dead cap hit)
  • LB B.J. Bello ($825K savings, ZERO dead cap hit)
  • DL Bronson Kaufusi ($825K savings, ZERO dead cap hit)
  • OT Conor McDermott ($825K savings, ZERO dead cap hit)
  • TE Ross Travis ($825K savings, ZERO dead cap hit)
  • K Brett Maher ($750K savings, ZERO dead cap hit)
  • WR Vyncint Smith ($750K savings, ZERO dead cap hit)
  • LB Frankie Luvi ($750K savings, ZERO dead cap hit)
  • EDGE Harvey Langi ($750K savings, ZERO dead cap hit) 
  • DL John Franklin-Myers ($750K savings, ZERO dead cap hit)
  • RB Kenneth Dixon ($750K savings, ZERO dead cap hit)
  • RB Josh Adams ($750K savings, ZERO dead cap hit)
  • TE Daniel Brown ($750K savings, ZERO dead cap hit)
  • WR Josh Malone ($750K savings, ZERO dead cap hit)
  • WR Jehu Chesson ($750K savings, $10K dead cap hit)
  • RB Trenton Cannon (($750K savings, $34K dead cap hit)
  • DT Folorunso Fatuksi ($750K savings, $43K dead cap hit)
  • K Sam Ficken ($675K savings, ZERO dead cap hit)
  • QB Mike White ($675K savings, ZERO dead cap hit)
  • WR Braxton Berrios ($675K savings, ZERO dead cap hit)
  • G Ben Braden ($675K savings, ZERO dead cap hit)
  • EDGE Ahmad Gooden ($675K savings, ZERO dead cap hit)
  • C Jimmy Murray ($675K savings, ZERO dead cap hit)
  • CB Bennett Jackson ($675K savings, $50K dead cap hit)
  • LB Blake Cashman ($675K savings, $76K dead cap hit)
  • QB David Fales ($650K savings, $100K dead cap hit)
  • WR Jeff Smith ($610K savings, ZERO dead cap hit)
  • EDGE Corbin Kaufusi ($610K savings, ZERO dead cap hit)
  • S Anthony Cioffi ($610K savings, ZERO dead cap hit)
  • C Brad Lundblade ($610K savings, ZERO dead cap hit)
  • DL Wyatt Ray ($610K savings, ZERO dead cap hit)

Players who are not advisable to cut, based on financials, in order of dead cap hit:

• DE Henry Anderson (ZERO cap savings, $8.3M dead cap hit)
  • OLB Jordan Jenkins ($687K cap savings, $3.25M dead cap hit)
  • ILB Avery Williamson ($6.5M cap savings, $2M dead cap hit)
  • ILB Patrick Onwuasor (ZERO cap savings, $2M dead cap hit)
  • ILB Neville Hewitt ($1M cap savings, $1M dead cap hit)
  • G Josh Andrews ($337K cap savings, $550K dead cap hit)

After the top three guys and Williamson, financials won’t come into play at all. Any one of those guys would be replaced with someone making, at the very least, league minimum. It’s not like the Jets are close to the cap. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Who might be "surprise" cuts the Jets might make prior to the 2020 season? For this thread we won't count Brian Winters or Avery Wiliamson as "surprises" if they got cut

Wild Guess / Thinking Out Loud - Top 5 Potential "Surprise" Cuts 

1. Trevon Wesco -TE/H Back - I like the kid and think he has potential but with Griffin, Herdon and Brown at TE, There might not be a place for Wesco. He did a decent job at H Back but doesn't add much on special teams. Could be the odd man out if Jets decide to keep an extra player at another position 
  2. Blake Cashman - ILB - No doubt he did some really nice things when thrown into the deep end of the pool last year. If Mosley is healthy and Jets keep Williamson and with several other options at ILB, Cashman could be gone. It would be surprising, yes, but it's possible. He could go to the Practice Squad if we could sneak him through 
  3. Jonotthan Harrison - C/G - Certainly a hard working and reliable veteran - stepped in 2 years in a row to stabilize a disaster at C, but will battle Josh Andrews and maybe even draftee Cameron Clark  for that spot.
  4. Jordan Jenkins - OLB - Another player I like and a solid vet. But if the Jets play more 4-3, if draftee Jabari Zuniga and UDFA Bryce Huff look good in preseason and athletic guys like Jordan Willis or John Frnklin Myers get healthy, maybe Jenkins could be gone - unlikely yes
  5. Henry Anderson - DE - Looked great 2 years ago, less so last year. If Kyle Phillips continues to improve and if Willis or Franklin-Myers or even Zuniga plays DE instead of OLB, Anderson might be a surprise cut 

I agree with you regarding Wesco, Cashman and Anderson.  I disagree with you strongly regarding Harrison and Jenkins.  Not only has Jenkins proven himself and can rush the passer, but the Jets just resigned him to a cap friendly deal.  Jenkins is going nowhere.

I will add two to the three that I agree with you.  I would have added Winters, but you exempted him to the list.  Frankie Luvu would be my #4, and #5 Josh Doctson.

I say Doctson because I feel that we have 1 or 2 players that we signed as free agents after the draft that I think may be keepers.  Crowder, Mims, Crager, Campbell, Perriman could be the 5 that we keep.

• Upvote 2