Jets will be 8-8 this season

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

How many of these games below are we winning?

• vs. SF
  • @ Chargers
  • @ Chiefs
  • @ Seahawks
  • @ Rams

Call me crazy but I think Jets match up well with SF and start the year 2-0 vs Buffalo and SF. Jimmy G and Josh Allen will both prove they are not the long term answers for both their respective teams. Allen will have a longer leash obviously but will have more ridiculous plays this year like the ones he had in the WC game.

But yeah the Chiefs, Seahawks, and Rams scare the sh*t outta me.

Donald vs our OLine is nightmare fuel.

Just now, MindOverMatter said:

Call me crazy but I think Jets match up well with SF and start the year 2-0 vs Buffalo and SF. Jimmy G and Josh Allen will both prove they are not the long term answers for both their respective teams. Allen will have a longer leash obviously but will have more ridiculous plays this year like the ones he had in the WC game.

Our defense matches up fairly well with SF's offense.

But not on the other side of the ball.  Nick Bosa will have a field day, and their opportunistic secondary should be able to force multiple turnovers.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

Yep - the strawman argument is your specialty.

Hell, if they won the SB you'd claim that it means nothing unless they can win the next two SB's.

Tell me, have you heard me bitching at all about the Nats World Series win?  No? 

Exactly.  :rolleyes: 

Getthatsh*toutahere.?

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Our defense matches up fairly well with SF's offense.

But not on the other side of the ball.  Nick Bosa will have a field day, and their opportunistic secondary should be able to force multiple turnovers.

Maybe I'm getting Bosa and his brother mixed up but I remember Fant pushing Bosa around - one on one - like Bosa was a little girl at the end of last season. I hope Fant can make the transition to RT because he looked good at LT after he got the chance to play due to injuries.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

Maybe I'm getting Bosa and his brother mixed up but I remember Fant pushing Bosa around - one on one - like Bosa was a little girl at the end of last season. I hope Fant can make the transition to RT because he looked good at LT after he got the chance to play due to injuries.

We don't know what side Fant will be playing on and we can't assume Fant will be able to to reproduce that performance.  

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

8-8 would be a disappointment.  10 wins should be the expectation, given the division, our talent, etc.

7-9 followed by 8-8, that's decidedly unimpressive in my book.  We're a better talented team than 8-8 today.

The excuses are already starting and it's barely June.

This is unexpected to hear from you ... or maybe I just haven't realized you felt this way

Do you really believe 10-6 is what we should be able to get with this team?

41 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That's a lot.  Winning 2 of those 5 would be a miracle.  

A miracle?  How much is a miracle worth in odds?  

1999 St Louis Rams win Super Bowl (300-1) 

or

1980 US Hockey Team Gold Medal (1000-1)

What odds are you offering?  I'm kind of excited on the Jets futures at the moment.  The real key is the OL.  Do they have enough time with COVID and everything (lack of mini camps) to jell?  If the line jells then the offense with Slinging Sammy make a playoff appearance.   

29 minutes ago, ljr said:

This is unexpected to hear from you ... or maybe I just haven't realized you felt this way

1. @Buffalo - Winnable

2. San Fran - Winnable, especially this early and at home

3. @ Colts - Very Winnable

4. Denver - Winnable

5. Arizona - Winnable

6. @Chargers - Winnable

7. Buffalo - Winnable

8. @Chiefs - Lol, Definite Loss

9. Patriots - Very Winnable w/out Brady

10. @Dolphins - Very Winnable

11. Dolphins - Very Winnable

12. LA Raders - Winnable

13. @Seahawks - Winnable, but probably a definite loss.

14. @ Rams - Winnable, harder as 2nd West Coast Game

15. Browns - Winnable

16. @Patriots - Winnable

There are exactly TWO games in this schedule we should legit fear getting crushed, Chiefs and maybe the Seahawks.  No one else on this list is some unbeatable Juggernaut we're not in the same league with.  San Fran maybe, but with all this oddity, that early, at our house, that game is FAR more 50/50 than it might be in Week 16 at their place.

Just because 14 of 16 games are winnable doesn't mean we win them all, of course.  But we should be competitive in every single one of those winnable games.  

If I'm predicting today, we beat:  @Colts, Denver, Arizona, @Chargers, Buffalo, Patriots, @Dolphins, Dolphins, Raiduhs, Browns.  That's 10 wins.

Yes, it requires we sweep the Phins.  Guess what, we're every inch as good as Buffalo, and better than the Phins outright.  No one else on that list makes me fear them.  And if we steal one from the Rams, Bills, Pats, that's 11 (or 10 if we drop one we shouldn't, like the Colts or Cardinals maybe).

Yes, 10-6 is absolutely a reasonable expectation, given the talent improvements we've made.  Yes, some might take some time to gel (The O-line), but frankly it can't be worse than last year at their worst.     

Till someone argues that Pats or Chargers or Cardinals et. al. are really the next Patriots Dynasty, I give our Jets a good chance vs. any of them.  

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

28 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We don't know what side Fant will be playing on and we can't assume Fant will be able to to reproduce that performance.  

The Jets gave him $10M this year because they’re expecting him to start, and to perform. I get that there’s some experimentation going on there, but he’s the big FA addition. I hope they give him a shot at LT, and that he holds onto it. 

25 minutes ago, ljr said:

If we establish the expectations at 10-6, it’ll be a lot easier to bitch about everything when they finish 8-8 or lower. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, slats said:

If we establish the expectations at 10-6, it’ll be a lot easier to bitch about everything when they finish 8-8 or lower. 

Conversely, if you set the expectation at 6-10, it'll be alot easier to crow about how great everything is when they finish 7-9 of better,

My opinion stands for itself as stated, we've improved the talent and depth dramatically at almost every position, especially our worst positions of O-Line, WR and RB.  Our QB will not have Mono this year.  Our Defense gets it's best and most impactful player back from injury.  We egt a potential huge weapon back in Herndon, +two possible #1 WR's instead of one clear-cut #2 WR in Anderson.  We had a very good, deep draft that helped in many places, including a projected franchise O-lineman.  We're a much MUCH better team on paper today than we were at the end of last year. 

And that schedule is not nearly as scary as some want to make out.  I listed the games I think this team, with this talent, under Sam, can and should win. 

If someone wants to argue that we can't beat @Colts, Denver, Arizona, @Chargers, Buffalo, Patriots, @Dolphins, Dolphins, Raiduhs, Browns, and that we can't possibly win any of the games not listed here, by all means do so.  It'll be nice to be the homer for a change whining about the haters.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kmnj said:

brutal schedule 4-5 wins max

Now that is a Jets fan covering his nuts because this team has kicked all of us in ours over the years.

I hope and think we are legitimately on an upswing.  I am not one of those posters for whom everything is always sunny every year, even when it is obviously not.  I am skeptical of Gase but i love love love what JD is doing and that is going to show up on the scoreboard sooner rather than later IMO.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, slats said:

If Sam isn't performing, Gase is the guy most likely to not survive. The team might bring in another QB to compete with Sam, too, but they won't give Gase another shot with another QB. 

methinks 14n green is just saying that although the above scenario is high in probablility, it may be the weaker link getting a pass...

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

1. @Buffalo - Winnable

4. Denver - Winnable

5. Arizona - Winnable

6. @Chargers - Winnable

7. Buffalo - Winnable

12. LA Raders - Winnable

15. Browns - Winnable

16. @Patriots - Winnable

There are exactly TWO games in this schedule we should legit fear getting crushed, Chiefs and maybe the Seahawks.  No one else on this list is some unbeatable Juggernaut we're not in the same league with.  San Fran maybe, but with all this oddity, that early, at our house, that game is FAR more 50/50 than it might be in Week 16 at their place.

Just because 14 of 16 games are winnable doesn't mean we win them all, of course.  But we should be competitive in every single one of those winnable games.  

If I'm predicting today, we beat:  @Colts, Denver, Arizona, @Chargers, Buffalo, Patriots, @Dolphins, Dolphins, Raiduhs, Browns.  That's 10 wins.

Yes, it requires we sweep the Phins.  Guess what, we're every inch as good as Buffalo, and better than the Phins outright.  No one else on that list makes me fear them.  And if we steal one from the Rams, Bills, Pats, that's 11 (or 10 if we drop one we shouldn't, like the Colts or Cardinals maybe).

Yes, 10-6 is absolutely a reasonable expectation, given the talent improvements we've made.  Yes, some might take some time to gel (The O-line), but frankly it can't be worse than last year at their worst.     

Till someone argues that Pats or Chargers or Cardinals et. al. are really the next Patriots Dynasty, I give our Jets a good chance vs. any of them.  

hope you're correct ... that's pretty far off from what the "experts" think though ... i understand gambling odds are targeting 50/50 bets on each side / target the vig, etc ... but there is still some relevance

---

most gambling/prognosticating sites have us at 6.5 wins for the year

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2020-nfl-win-totals-odds-predictions-best-bets-model-picks-under-6-5-wins-for-giants/

https://www.sportsbettingdime.com/nfl/win-totals-best-odds/

https://www.lineups.com/betting/nfl-team-win-total-odds-2020-21/

---

an extra 3.5 wins from what the "so called experts" think is a very big reach

your projections do sound either like you're a big "homer" (which we all know can't be true, lol) or you are setting your expectations higher than the team likely will achieve to prepare for them to not meet your hopes :(

---

The part of your w/l list i personally would debate with you would be

primarily those 1st 3 games ... you have @buff, san fran, @ indy labeled winnable/winnable/very winnable.  we still have a lot of new pieces / question marks heading into the season ... so i think as a team we will be performing better and better as the season moves along.

we're definitely going to be the underdog going into all 3 of those

2 road games & sf home ... i think 0-3 would be much more likely than even 2-1, little less 3-0

jmo

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

1. @Buffalo - Winnable

4. Denver - Winnable

5. Arizona - Winnable

6. @Chargers - Winnable

7. Buffalo - Winnable

12. LA Raders - Winnable

15. Browns - Winnable

16. @Patriots - Winnable

10-6 is a possibility, but not a realistic expectation. From one of the least talented rosters and the worst OL in the league to being rebuilt in one draft and free agency - please. 10-6 is unrealistic against a difficult schedule this year and only one year to rebuild.

Build the strawman so you can knock it down.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, slats said:

The Jets gave him $10M this year because they’re expecting him to start, and to perform. I get that there’s some experimentation going on there, but he’s the big FA addition. I hope they give him a shot at LT, and that he holds onto it. 

JD saw enough to sign him to a $10M contract this year and he looked great against Bosa when it counted at the the of last season (he pushed Bosa around one on one like a little girl and negated his rush).

I hope he can move over to RT and let Becton kick ass at LT from the the go.

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

We had a very good, deep draft that helped in many places, including a projected franchise O-lineman.  We're a much MUCH better team on paper today than we were at the end of last year. 

So, one years draft and FA is enough to move the least talented roster - except for Sam (a w/o question a FQB) from a miraculous 6-2 finish against a lousy schedule to a 10-6 record against the toughest schedule in the 2020 season? 

Please - stop setting up these unrealistic expectations so that you can knock them the down next season.

Have half a brain and set realistic expectations - 10-6 or fire everybody including Sam and Gase - that's insane.

But maybe you don't want to do that? #StrawMan setup is what you're hoping for so that you can knock it down next season.  #Troll.

46 minutes ago, ljr said:

i understand gambling odds are targeting 50/50 bets on each side / target the vig, etc ... but there is still some relevance

Gambling odds are for idiots. Intelligent people will not bet big $$$ on NFL games unless it's a throw away - hey - I won that bet and I can brag about it.

I started this thread with the belief that the majority of the people to respond to me would telling me that the Jets are a better team than I am giving them credit for, and we will win 10 games.  This is the exact same thing that happened when I started a thread last year predicting a 7-9 team.  

I do give my fellow Jets fans a lot of credit for people who are not ripping me like they did last year when I predicted 7 wins.

A few things that I want to stress is that : 1. This will be a much improved team from last year 2. An 8-8 record is not bad against this schedule 3. The offensive line is still a question mark, but certainly moving in the right direction.

If the Jets have a better record than I predict, then this will certainly be an amazing season.  If this happens: 1. We will do better than split with the AFC East, and this will mean wins against Buffalo and New England while sweeping Miami.  2. We will not go 1-3 against the NFC this year, and at worst will split the division with 2 wins against Seattle, San Fran, Rams and Cardinals- NICE!  3. We will go at least 4-1 against the rest of the AFC, with myself assuming we lose to Kansas City not included in the 4-1 record.

That would mean 10-6 for the year.  Guess what:  we will be 8-8 this year, because I don't see that happening.  

The one caveat:  If the Jets offensive line moves from the bottom of the league to the top of the league this year, then 10-6 is possible.  I just don't see that happening right now.

1 hour ago, Losmeister said:

methinks 14n green is just saying that although the above scenario is high in probablility, it may be the weaker link getting a pass...

Yes, you're correct, but I also had an ulterior motive, my friend.

I've been angry with the guy I quoted for a while now. He'd been making a bunch of derogatory personal remarks toward me, which started after he decided to get involved in something that wasn't any of his business about two weeks ago.

When he posted the thing about "if Sam doesn't make the jump.... then Gase gone by December." I just decided to call him out on it.

I have to be honest, it felt good. I'm Italian, and the word "vendetta" is too. LOL

56 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

Gambling odds are for idiots. Intelligent people will not bet big $$$ on NFL games unless it's a throw away - hey - I won that bet and I can brag about it.

point was 6.5 is the average of how many games we are expected to win, not 10

58 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Yes, you're correct, but I also had an ulterior motive, my friend.

I've been angry with the guy I quoted for a while now. He'd been making a bunch of derogatory personal remarks toward me, which started after he decided to get involved in something that wasn't any of his business about two weeks ago.

When he posted the thing about "if Sam doesn't make the jump.... then Gase gone by December." I just decided to call him out on it.

I have to be honest, it felt good. I'm Italian, and the word "vendetta" is too. LOL

I literally have no idea what the hell you're talking about.  Jeez. Vendetta... FOR WHAT?!! What is this unperceived slight I committed again you? You wont even discuss it since you been simmering last night. It helps to know what I did before you became filled with malice.  Jeez.  It's turned into this unspoken debacle.. !##@#

Just now, pdxgreen said:

I literally have no idea what the hell you're talking about.  Jeez.  Have some balls and confront me.  Vendetta... FOR WHAT?!! What is this unperceived slight I committed again you?  What?!!!  You wont even discuss it since you been simmering last night. It helps to know what I did before you became filled with malice.  Jeez.  It turns into this unspoken debacle.. !##@#

Think of "Tua." that might jog your memory. I remember it very well.

After last night, its over with now as far as I'm concerned.  ?

16 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Think of "Tua." that might jog your memory. I remember it very well.

After last night, its over with now as far as I'm concerned.  ?

Nope.  Sorry.  Still doesn't jog any memory.  Listen.  I only have any lasting disagreements with two people in my entire life that have had any major effect.  One was a sophomore professor who tried to make the conditions of my work study program a living hell.. and didn't succeed.  The other is an ex that DID.   I've tried to live my life on Will Roger's principle that you never meet a person you don't like. So trust me.  You're talking to the last person on the earth whose going to have resentment or bear ill will in a sports forum. 

7 hours ago, EM31 said:

We definitely had them dead to rights in game 1 before the miracle comeback and then they went on a roll.  The difference between us and the Bills came after that when they went on a roll and did the kind of growing as a team that every young teams hopes for. Pretty please with sugar on top I want some of that over here.

With that said and even if you concede that they are the better team right now (which i do), history tells me that these two teams have a habit of splitting even when one of them is really good and the other really bad.  And so I also expect no different outcome again this year.

Sure they went on a roll. Jets also went on a roll of their own ending the season 6-2. All that was with many players starting that weren’t even on an NFL roster when the season began. Sam Darnold improves significantly. We can coincide it with a weak schedule but I would like to state a point that even if the schedule was weak, we still beat those teams with a very weak roster. So the QB naturally will get some credit for that. 

I hate the Bills and I refuse to give them any credit for anything they do. I also hate the Cheaters and Dollfans. 

Just now, CurtMart said:

I hate the Bills and I refuse to give them any credit for anything they do. I also hate the Cheaters and Dollfans. 

You're either being facetious, or you take this stuff WAYYYYY too seriously. It's only football, brother.

The Jets game ends at 400. Unless you dropped a few more dimes on the game then you should have, just vent for a minute or so. Get something to eat and watch the next game. Rinse, repeat, and watch another one at 830 if you feel up to it.

10 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

You're either being facetious, or you take this stuff WAYYYYY too seriously. It's only football, brother.

The Jets game ends at 400. Unless you dropped a few more dimes on the game then you should have, just vent for a minute or so. Get something to eat and watch the next game. Rinse, repeat, and watch another one at 830 if you feel up to it.

There is nothing unreasonable about developing a healthy dislike for rivals, especially division rivals.  For some reason my dislike of the Bills was never too great but the Dolphins and Patriots? You can mark me down as tending towards being "WAYYYYY" too serious when it comes to those too.

As a lifelong Chelsea FC fan growing up it was assumed that other London teams would be on one's sh*t list. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, EM31 said:

There is nothing unreasonable about developing a healthy dislike for rivals, especially division rivals.  For some reason my dislike of the Bills was never too great but the Dolphins and Patriots? You can mark me down as tending towards being "WAYYYYY" too serious when it comes to those too.

This.

Oddly, I still hate the Colts more than the Bills, and the Colts haven't been in our Division since.......well, a long time now, lol.

Patriots, Dolphins, Colts, I loathe them all.  Raiduhs, I cannot stand them in any form.  Bills, I don't like the Bills, but it doesn't rise to loathing outside of game day vs. us.  Maybe cause they're alot like us, perennial losers and underdogs, of sorts.  

But yeah, hating our rivals is perfectly fine.  Funny, you can tell the era of Jets fan often by who they hate more, the Phins or the Pats.