Do 4 1st round picks in the next 2 years suddenly put Sam Darnold on the hot seat?

Joe Douglas now has 4 picks in the next 2 drafts.  He did not draft Sam Darnold.  I personally believe in the talent of Sam Darnold but do you believe in the talent of Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields more?  Or more importantly, does Joe Douglas?   I dont know if this was a question 24 hours ago but today?  

Or does something Jetsy happen and there is no college Football, Sam Darnold shows out to be a bust but Lawrence and Fields cant declare because they technically didnt play 3 years.

These are thoughts running through my head.

I think the best case scenario is Sam shows out, we stockpile around him like Cleveland did for Baker and we rise above the ashes but this is the Jets, ya know.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, nico002 said:

No it puts Sam Darnold in the drivers seat. We finally have the ammo to build a contender around the most talented and promising QB in franchise history. He’s younger than the #1 pick in the draft. Make no mistake about it, Joe Douglas took this job for one reason- #14

Meh, I'm sure Darnold wasnt the only reason but yeah, this is easy to say now.  What if Darnold doesnt progress?  It's a serious question to ask and basically could make or break JD's career.  If Sam puts up another pedestrian year with flashes, do you risk it all and build around him or take the big swing and get "your guy".  I think there is an argument Lawrence and Fields are better prospects. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, JiF said:

Meh, I'm sure Darnold wasnt the only reason but yeah, this is easy to say now.  What if Darnold doesnt progress?  It's a serious question to ask and basically could make or break JD's career.  If Sam puts up another pedestrian year with flashes, do you risk it all and build around him or take the big swing and get "your guy".  I think there is an argument Lawrence and Fields are better prospects. 

Sam Darnold doesn’t need to progress (don’t worry he will though) to be the best QB we’ve had since Namath. He needs to have a functional offensive line. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Larz said:

He’s already on it.  Maccagnan passed on an entire draft class of QBs for him and then invested 4 very high picks on him 

he needs to win 2 playoff games this season 

Huh?  Burrow, Tua and Herbet went before the Jets picked and he took a flier on a QB late. 

He in fact, did not pass on the entire draft class of QB's.  lol  He did the exact opposite. 

• Thumb Down 2

3 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Sam Darnold doesn’t need to progress (don’t worry he will though) to be the best QB we’ve had since Namath. He needs to have a functional offensive line. 

Being the best QB since Joe Namath isnt saying much around here.  Nothing is guaranteed.  While I dont think anyone shares your level of love for Sam, I tend to agree that he's going to be good.  

That said, nothing is guaranteed and if he has a bad year, things could get very interesting in Jets land.

• Thumb Down 1

Well obviously if he completely flames out this year.  However he has had basically no oline or weapons.  This year Douglas has at least improved The oline.  Despite all the obstacles I still think he had shown a lot of good flashes.  Of course there are things he needs to fix no doubt but it’s not like he has been bad.  

Look it's a self fulfilling prophecy in a way. If we finish the season in a position to possibly get Lawrence then it's likely Sam regressed in 2020 and we will know he is not the guy. There are a ton of indicators though that with decent protection Darnold will be elite

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, johnnysd said:

Look it's a self fulfilling prophecy in a way. If we finish the season in a position to possibly get Lawrence then it's likely Sam regressed in 2020 and we will know he is not the guy. There are a ton of indicators though that with decent protection Darnold will be elite

True.  Look I’m a Sam fan but if he is completely bad and we are 2-14 then yes we need to probably move on.  But I personally don’t see that happening.  The kid has shown his talent.  Yes I’ve always said he needs to cut down the picks and stop throwing off his back foot but other than that I think he has shown with some support he can be a really good QB

9 minutes ago, Larz said:

He’s already on it.  Maccagnan passed on an entire draft class of QBs for him and then invested 4 very high picks on him 

what? He needs to be HE-MAN regardless of the putrid offense we might fielding? The cavernous secondary which could put us in weekly shoot outs? Kind of trash is that Larz... if Sam has to time to throw and can't put it together; makes poor decisions with the ball, inaccurate and doesn't learn to manage games. Then maybe we need to talk about this

But get outta here with that garbage. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, JiF said:

Being the best QB since Joe Namath isnt saying much around here.  Nothing is guaranteed.  While I dont think anyone shares your level of love for Sam, I tend to agree that he's going to be good.  

That said, nothing is guaranteed and if he has a bad year, things could get very interesting in Jets land.

Ok yea sure anything is possible. But the hypothetical you are throwing out there is the least likely scenario. One which would require a huge regression.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, JiF said:

Huh?  Burrow, Tua and Herbet went before the Jets picked and he took a flier on a QB late. 

He in fact, did not pass on the entire draft class of QB's.  lol  He did the exact opposite. 

He was referring to passing on the 2017 class of Trubisky (who was gone before our pick), Watson and Mahomes to wait for the 2018 class.  In retrospect, considering what Mahomes and Watson have done, and then how Adams turned out, I kinda wish he hadn't done that but oh well.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, nycdan said:

He was referring to passing on the 2017 class of Trubisky (who was gone before our pick), Watson and Mahomes to wait for the 2018 class.  In retrospect, considering what Mahomes and Watson have done, and then how Adams turned out, I kinda wish he hadn't done that but oh well.

No ******* way in hell that im trading Darnold for Watson- would you? 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

Well obviously if he completely flames out this year.  However he has had basically no oline or weapons.  This year Douglas has at least improved The oline.  Despite all the obstacles I still think he had shown a lot of good flashes.  Of course there are things he needs to fix no doubt but it’s not like he has been bad.  

Improving the OL wasnt going to be difficult.  Last year was the worst line I've ever seen.  That said, I dont think it's fixed and I think an abbreviated offseason is a bad recipe for an OL breaking in 4 new starters.   With questions a WR too, I dont think anything is really a given on offense.  

8 minutes ago, Larz said:

He's on a hot seat but he does not need to win 2 playoff games this season.  He needs a nice jump in running the offense with what should be a better OL.  Give me 63+ compl % with 4000+ yds   25+TDs and 12 or less INts.  Wins and losses are going to be subjective but if Sam can do that I see at least 9 wins he will be back.

• Upvote 1

Just now, JiF said:

Improving the OL wasnt going to be difficult.  Last year was the worst line I've ever seen.  That said, I dont think it's fixed and I think an abbreviated offseason is a bad recipe for an OL breaking in 4 new starters.   With questions a WR too, I dont think anything is really a given on offense.  

We shall see.  I admit the OL won’t be great but I do think it will be a good improvement with the signings we made and the draft.  It’s a work in progress and will take another strong draft and offseason.  However when you look at the other great QBS they all have loads of talent around them.  It does t matter how great of a QB you are if You don’t have an oline or weapons you can’t excel.  Douglas is trying to follow the template of the Chiefs and Ravens which is smart 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, lounap23 said:

He's on a hot seat but he does not need to win 2 playoff games this season.  He needs a nice jump in running the offense with what should be a better OL.  Give me 63+ compl % with 4000+ yds   25+TDs and 12 or less INts.  Wins and losses are going to be subjective but if Sam can do that I see at least 9 wins he will be back.

Dude, please look at his stats minus the NE game- the biggest single statistical outlier in NFL history- Sam Darnold is already a 63%/25 TD/12 int QB. He did that last year behind the worst OL in 25 years and having mono for ****s sake. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, lounap23 said:

That season would literally be the best season in the history of the franchise.

(Which shows how bad the franchise has been)

6 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Sure but will be the indicator?  The team isnt very good, the offense is a question mark.  Is it wins and losses, is it stats, a feel thing?

I dont think JD has the same level of investment in Sam as we do, ya know? 

21 minutes ago, JiF said:

Lawrence and Fields cant declare because they technically didnt play 3 years.

The don't have to play three years, only have to be in college for three years. No different than a redshirt sophomore coming out. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

We have seen Darnold at rock bottom, no OL, no receivers or a run game to speak of. Throw in his 1st year in Gase's offense, yet he posted respectable numbers of 19/3024/61.9/13 in 13 games.

This year the OL should be better, which will improve the running game and pass protection. Plus, he will be in his 2nd year under Gase's offense. The WR corp is still a big question mark but has potential with Mims as a much better #2 and a healthy Herndon.

• Upvote 1

Just now, southtown24th said:

I hate to say it but, no one is safe.

Not even Sam.  And that's how it should be.

I’m fine with that.  Nobody should be safe unless they have proven to be an elite game changer.  Personally I’ve always felt Sam would be a good QB and he is the one I wanted to draft.  It’s obvious we have done him zero favors in his first two years With no protection or talent.  However this is a big year for him.  If he take a nice jump he will be here

2 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

We shall see.  I admit the OL won’t be great but I do think it will be a good improvement with the signings we made and the draft.  It’s a work in progress and will take another strong draft and offseason.  However when you look at the other great QBS they all have loads of talent around them.  It does t matter how great of a QB you are if You don’t have an oline or weapons you can’t excel.  Douglas is trying to follow the template of the Chiefs and Ravens which is smart 

I agree to an extent but I'm just not sure how much they've truly done.   The OL should be better, no doubt, but how much?  And WR is just a massive question mark.  I love Mims, didnt think we'd have a chance but that's a hard transition for a lot of players at that position and apparently Gase's offense isnt easy to pick up.  I hope he hits the ground running but I doubt it, especially considering the other factors.  And Perriman is just a haymaker, we have no clue what were getting there.  So, is that enough of an excuse if you're staring in the face of the decision between Lawrence and continuing to build around Sam?  phew, tough stuff. 

He is already under a lot of pressure this year. Consistency is key. If he plays the way he did down the stretch last year for 16 games, he’s good. If he has another up and down season, I think he has 2021 as a last shot before he’s gone.

I 100% think he’s the guy and think he’s gonna end up with a monster deal, but he needs to put it together for 16 games to get there. No injuries, no mono, no corona, no setback games... let’s ******* go

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, nico002 said:

No ******* way in hell that im trading Darnold for Watson- would you? 

It's not that simple.

You draft Watson in 2017.  You stay at #6 in 2018 and either draft Quenton Nelson, or, if the Colts took him at 3, you take a guy like Ward or Chubb (one of whom would have dropped as Darnold would certainly have gone top-5).  Plus you still have the 3 2nd round picks. 

Now we did manage to turn Adams into a lot of picks, which balances things out quite a bit, but if we were sitting with Watson at QB and Nelson at OG right now, I think we'd be pretty happy with things.  And that's assuming it was Watson and not Mahomes...

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Honestly, I missed the big mac part of the post because I dont see how that's relevant at all to this conversation lol

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

I agree to an extent but I'm just not sure how much they've truly done.   The OL should be better, no doubt, but how much?  And WR is just a massive question mark.  I love Mims, didnt think we'd have a chance but that's a hard transition for a lot of players at that position and apparently Gase's offense isnt easy to pick up.  I hope he hits the ground running but I doubt it, especially considering the other factors.  And Perriman is just a haymaker, we have no clue what were getting there.  So, is that enough of an excuse if you're staring in the face of the decision between Lawrence and continuing to build around Sam?  phew, tough stuff. 

Yeah what I meant was we are still in process of doing that.  We still need another strong offseason at least 

1 minute ago, nycdan said:

It's not that simple.

You draft Watson in 2017.  You stay at #6 in 2018 and either draft Quenton Nelson, or, if the Colts took him at 3, you take a guy like Ward or Chubb (one of whom would have dropped as Darnold would certainly have gone top-5).  Plus you still have the 3 2nd round picks. 

Now we did manage to turn Adams into a lot of picks, which balances things out quite a bit, but if we were sitting with Watson at QB and Nelson at OG right now, I think we'd be pretty happy with things.  And that's assuming it was Watson and not Mahomes...

Its not that simple either. You cant assume what would have happened if we take Watson in 2017. We probably dont have the #6 pick for starters.