Orlovsky talks Darnold...Good interview

AFJF

2 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

He's not any good. Consistently makes dumb decisions and has mediocre at best arm strength. The team sucks too but he's a part of why the team sucks.

The Jets were 7-6 in games he started last year.  And that includes the opener against Buffalo when he probably felt like crap due to mono.

image.png.b459fd3c955f5c11c690ecae605b0592.png

4 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

He's not any good. Consistently makes dumb decisions and has mediocre at best arm strength. The team sucks too but he's a part of why the team sucks.

2 games with more than 1 int since week 9 of 2018. Multiple long stretches of elite play both years. Winning record with the worst team in the NFL. Arm strength comment is ridiculous- don’t take it from me but rather his #1 hater in the media:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Realrclark25/status/1195563889070657536 

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

The Jets were 7-6 in games he started last year.  And that includes the opener against Buffalo when he probably felt like crap due to mono.

image.png.b459fd3c955f5c11c690ecae605b0592.png

Context is key. How many of those games were against the little sisters of the poor and after the team was already buried at 1-7? When the games counted, Darnold was seeing ghosts.

3 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

Context is key. How many of those games were against the little sisters of the poor and after the team was already buried at 1-7? When the games counted, Darnold was seeing ghosts.

I agree.  I just think we shouldn't throw the baby (Sam) out with the bathwater (Gase).

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I agree.  I just think we shouldn't throw the baby (Sam) out with the bathwater (Gase).

I've seen enough bad QBing in my life - he's just another in the long line of bad Jet QBs. With proper coaching and receiving talent can he be 'OK'? I guess so - but the idea he's gonna be this special QB is out the door for me.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

I've seen enough bad QBing in my life - he's just another in the long line of bad Jet QBs. With proper coaching and receiving talent can he be 'OK'? I guess so - but the idea he's gonna be this special QB is out the door for me.

Fair enough.  I can understand why people would be frustrated with what they've seen so far.  I remain a lot more optimistic on him than most on here.

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

You're pulling numbers out of thin air to support your conclusion that Darnold is a good player. 

I'll repeat myself too

even if he did set his feet and throw a good pass, 

he didn't have to throw it 1) into coverage 2) into the middle of the field 3) across his body

he broke like 3 QB commandments in the same throw 

which is understandable for rookies. 

he could have just slid for a 1 yard gain

he could have thrown it off his back foot out of bounds

he didn't have to turn a 50/50 situation into a dire one 

biggest problem with Darnold by the way is he looks like he doesn't want to be there. I'm not even sure he likes football. When's the last time he looked like he was having fun? 

the rose bowl? 

This statement in bold face is just stupid.  Anybody can access and follow his off-season work, who the hell puts in that kind of work and obtains the comments from his coach in Jordan Palmer to do something he doesn't want to do?

So you don't think highly of Darnold, that's fine, but making sh*t up to make your argument doesn't serve you well!

4 hours ago, KRL said:

Agreed, good interview.  His point that the Jets/Gase doesn't attack a

specific player on defense is interesting.  I'll be looking for that on Sunday

Funny, that reminds me when the Jets were kicking the pants off the Dolphins 2 years ago then Cutler got hurt, and I think it was Moore came in, and just picked on our slot CB forget his name to Stills the entire 4th quarter for the win.

6 hours ago, KRL said:

Agreed, good interview.  His point that the Jets/Gase doesn't attack a

specific player on defense is interesting.  I'll be looking for that on Sunday

Yes, and it works the other way.  The Jets had 3 wide receivers record snaps on Sunday.  3!

One of them was Jamison Crowder, our best pass-catcher / "weapon."  Another was Brashad Perriman.... new to the team, hadn't practiced in two weeks because of his knee, and was locked down by Pro Bowl CB Tre'Davious White.  The final one was Chris Hogan who joined the team two months ago.  The Bills targeted specific Jets players to limit and mitigate.... Perriman with White, then Herndon with some bracketed coverage.  The only guys they really had to worry about were Crowder who sprung loose here and there, and Bell who didn't play in the 2nd Half.

The Jets made it easy on Buffalo.  There were no bullets in the gun....and the ones we did have were blanks.

I listened to Orlovsky's interview and I'm surprised that no one has brought up one interesting nugget. Orlovsky brings up extending Darnold after this season to a reasonable extension since Darnold will probably not have a huge statistical season. Is this part of Joe Douglas's thinking? Obviously Darnold has not been put in the best position to succeed this year (this is distinct from the issue of whether Darnold is any good). Has Douglas decided that in the long term the Jets would be better off extending Darnold off a mediocre season when he won't be paid among the top 10 QBs in the league, thus leaving more cap room to spend on other players? Part of the Patriot's secret sauce for many years was having Brady play on below market contracts, thereby freeing up cap space for other players (yes, I know Darnold is not on the same planet as Brady as a player). Pretty Machiavellian by Douglas if this was his plan all along. 

30 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I listened to Orlovsky's interview and I'm surprised that no one has brought up one interesting nugget. Orlovsky brings up extending Darnold after this season to a reasonable extension since Darnold will probably not have a huge statistical season. Is this part of Joe Douglas's thinking? Obviously Darnold has not been put in the best position to succeed this year (this is distinct from the issue of whether Darnold is any good). Has Douglas decided that in the long term the Jets would be better off extending Darnold off a mediocre season when he won't be paid among the top 10 QBs in the league, thus leaving more cap room to spend on other players? Part of the Patriot's secret sauce for many years was having Brady play on below market contracts, thereby freeing up cap space for other players (yes, I know Darnold is not on the same planet as Brady as a player). Pretty Machiavellian by Douglas if this was his plan all along. 

This is just silly talk.  The gap between QB1 money and QB2 money is massive.  If you're paying a non-journeyman guy to be your QB1, it's going to be for a lot money.  Darnold would still command $30M per year even if he doesn't prove he's "the guy", simply because we'd be paying him to be the starter. 

His price wouldn't drop to, say, $20M a year just because he didn't perform well.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, maury77 said:

I’d extend Darnold now.  Jets could probably get him to sign a reasonable 2-3 year deal.  

then draft Chase and sign Allen Robinson or Corey Davis

• Upvote 1