Watching Cardinals vs. Panthers and trying to decide what is more painful.

What is more disappointing?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. What is more disappointing?

• Watching Matt Rhule coach against Kliff Kingsbury and knowing there was a good chance one of them could have been the Jets HC
    • Watching Teddy Bridgewater connect with Robby Anderson all day and seeing how effective they are on another team given the Jets woes on offense

2 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Actually, let's add him to the list of offensive players that have flourished after getting away from Gase.

You watch other teams, they scheme to get their good players the ball.  It’s not hard for them to actually get first downs.  At the beginning of the season i thought a lot of the gase sucks talk was just that, talk, but you watch how bad the play designs are on the jets and it just makes it much harder for darnold to succeed.  

Darnold ain’t perfect but he seemed more comfortable his first year and that’s probably because he had a more qb friendly offense.  An offense designed specifically for Peyton Manning will fail for anyone not named as such.

I watched the game and it was a dull football game.  Teddy is a very good QB.  We let him go for next to nothing for a lottery ticket that didn't come in.  The Cardinals defense was awful.  They looked like they slept though the game.  

I'm not sure why watching two mediocre teams, one of whom was clearly flat made anyone feel good.  If anything the fact that we let Bridgewater go without knowing what we had in Sam seems like just another really dumb move by Mac. 

17 hours ago, pdxgreen said:

I am going to totally blame CJ and the Jets for ******* up Rhule's signing.  But nobody in the organization could have been in a position to be high on Kingsbury.  That was a trendy hire due to him suddenly being the USC offensive coordinator after he'd got canned from Texas Tech.  The Cardinals ownership heard his about his pedigree from the Mike Leach coaching tree and took a chance on him.  That hiring happened on a whim and I don't see the Jets have ever being involved.  Rhule was a candidate for a few years.  Kingbury became a head coach because he got fired from a bad situation and his agent turned it into a positive.  Of course.  We would never benefit from something like that.

If they weren't interesting in Kingsbury, why did they interview him?

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Yo, JD bringing the heat with that offer, dawg!  Nobody will get away from him with his master negotiating skills.

He took less money to go play for a superior QB/HC combo.  A HC he played with in college.

Good for Robby.  I wish we could hop in a time machine and end up with a trio of Douglas, Rhule and Bridgewater.  But barring that, its time for us to move on on this one.  

59 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

No need to get in your feelz. Just think if you’re gonna trash someone’s unfortunate inability to construct proper sentences, misspelling his name is a bad look. Happy to help.

I haven't wasted feelings on the Jets or anything Jet-related since 1998.

16 hours ago, jgb said:

Stats mean nothing!!! The "supporting cast" argument protects my opinion forever!

It's not a good look for Joe Douglas letting Robby go and swapping him out for Perriman. His job is to keep the good players we have, and what makes this Douglas decision look so egregious is he let a really good receiver go who had a good connection with his young quarterback Sam Darnold. Moves like that start to add up and get families carrying their things to a U-Haul truck.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

It's not a good look for Joe Douglas letting Robby go and swapping him out for Perriman. His job is to keep the good players we have, and what makes this Douglas decision look so egregious is he let a really good receiver go who had a good connection with his young quarterback Sam Darnold. Moves like that start to add up and get families carrying their things to a U-Haul truck.

Agreed and stated back when it happened. Was called a troll for not acknowledging Perriman's emergent greatness.

https://www.espn.com/blog/baltimore-ravens/post/_/id/43300/what-can-ravens-learn-from-breshad-perriman-the-nfls-worst-ranked-wr

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

This will also be an issue when free agent season rolls around next March.  The situation here hasn’t improved at all, thus this will not be a desirable destination for free agents next year.  JD is going to need to over pay for some guys that he really wants , otherwise players with options are not coming anywhere near the Jets.  

Everyone in the NFL is overpaid so I don't care about that. What I care about is when given the choice, players rather go elsewhere. 

1 hour ago, JiF said:

........he wasnt very good and JD didnt really want him because Perriman was a massive upgrade, so all good in the hood. 

OIP.yri00gQA2cbg4f9zqzBMZQHaFj?pid=Api&r

Lets kill off a few of these Straw Men, shall we.....

1. Most people here said he was perfectly fine as a #2.  Just not a #1.  So "he wasn't very good" is a fallacy on your part.

2. JD offered him a very fair deal for an UDFA #2 WR with his resume.  He refused it, and he chose to play somewhere else for less.  So "JD didn't really want him" is a fallacy on your part.

3. Perriman and Mims were here to replace Anderson, and combined should have been an upgrade in overall WR talent.  They both have been hurt all season, along with our #2, #4 and #5 WR's.  No one was arguing that Perriman alone was a "massive upgrade".  That's a fallacy on your part.

I get it that Jets Fans who are often wrong on almost everything feel a need to be "right" about something, even if that "right" is an ex-player playing well elsewhere with every variable different than it was here......but dear lord, at least try and avoid making straw men out of the opposing arguments for once.  

Almost everyone, myself included, who was "against" giving Anderson a huge contract was perfectly fine giving him a fair #2 WR contract, while the team worked to get a legit #1 WR in on the team.  Even Andersons most strident fans generally agreed he was best suited as a #2.  

Clearly, Anderson, in a better environment, with a better QB, and materially better offensive talent (McCaffrey alone is better than anyone on the Jets Offensive roster in the last decade), under a better coach in a better system has allowed him to blossom and be more productive.  I'd say good for him, but I don't care about himI care about the Jets.  Good things happening to disgruntled ex-Jets isn't good for the Jets, it's not something to gloat about as a Jets Fan.

He's on pace for a 1,500 yard, 4 TD season.  That's quite impressive.  Given his two seasons with Sam were both under 800 yards receiving, it's fair to say he is exceeding expectations with his new team, because let's be honest, not one of our resident Anderson fans ever thought he was a 1,500-a-year+ #1 WR HERE with Sam and Gase either.  

At the end of the day, our GM (you know, the guy we should be rooting for?) gave a fair offer, and the offer was declined.  Anderson chose less money, less time for a better talented Offense under his old college Coach.  For all we know, he hated Gase and Darnold and wanted out.  For all we know, he hated Jets Fans too.  He bet on himself, and it looks like it's paying off.  But this is no moment for Jets Fans to take pleasure in.  Nothing about it is good for us.  

We, on the other hand, should be rooting for Mims to get off IR and start playing.  And for JD to take the WR position seriously in the forthcoming offseason, and get us a legit #1 WR and more in the 2021 draft.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

23 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He took less money to go play for a superior QB/HC combo.  A HC he played with in college.

Good for Robby.  I wish we could hop in a time machine and end up with a trio of Douglas, Rhule and Bridgewater.  But barring that, its time for us to move on on this one.  

Except in this case, the usual suspects--those who are nearly always right about the Jets--called dumping Bridgewater for magic beans a dumb move. The response from the feelings crowd was predictable.

34 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

So then we can just assume that JD will never land any solid FA's?  Even ones that play for his team?   Because, every team in the NFL has a better HC/QB combo.

21 minutes ago, JiF said:

So then we can just assume that JD will never land any solid FA's?  Even ones that play for his team?   Because, every team in the NFL has a better HC/QB combo.

We got to start rewarding our good players with contract extensions early like the Pats do. Soon as Robby Anderson had legal closure, the Jets should have re-signed him cheaper than if they waited. 

2 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

We got to start rewarding our good players with contract extensions early like the Pats do. Soon as Robby Anderson had legal closure, the Jets should have re-signed him cheaper than if they waited. 

No doubt.  They shouldnt have been in a position for him to want to go play for a better QB (maybe 2 people on the entire board thought Bridgewater was better than Darnold, more narrative changing b.s.) and his old HC.   It also makes them not pulling the trigger on the supposed trade that was on the table even more stupid.  Which btw, was the perfect time to resign him.  He came out being thankful for not being traded, wanted to be a Jet, Rhule wasnt hired, Bridgewater wasnt the QB (if you want to use that convenient narrative b.s.), go resign him if you werent going to trade him.   Instead, he walks, you get nothing in return and actually thought you adequately backfilled his role, falling for a 5 game stretch from a monster bust.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

51 minutes ago, JiF said:

Well the idea is that Gase will be fired this offseason and we'll have a top pick.  Those things go hand in hand, because the new HC can help choose the QB, making us a not so unattractive destination for a new HC.

Get a quality new HC/QB combo and we'll start winning some free agent bids without massively overpaying.  You at least seem to acknowledge this isn't really a Joe Douglas problem at all in your last post, so that's good.  

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

:scribbles down “millions”:

OMG, I know right?  Millions???!?!!! gasp!  ....could you imagine the horror of actually fielding an NFL caliber WR at the cost of someone else's money???   gasp!  Paying Robby Anderson a few million more would be so detrimental to the NY Jets, the damage might be beyond repair! gasp!   Who knows what could happen, worst team in the NFL? gasp!  No playoffs for 10 years? gasp!  No Super Bowl for 50? gasp!  Idk, but you're right.  Good thing we have that extra million/s of Woody's money.  

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Well the idea is that Gase will be fired this offseason and we'll have a top pick.  Those things go hand in hand, because the new HC can help choose the QB, making us a not so unattractive destination for a new HC.

Get a quality new HC/QB combo and we'll start winning some free agent bids without massively overpaying.  You at least seem to acknowledge this isn't really a Joe Douglas problem at all in your last post, so that's good.  

Idk, what you're talking about but who's problem is it if it's not JD's?  

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

OMG, I know right?  Millions???!?!!! gasp!  ....could you imagine the horror of actually fielding an NFL caliber WR at the cost of someone else's money???   gasp!  Paying Robby Anderson a few million more would be so detrimental to the NY Jets, the damage might be beyond repair! gasp!   Who knows what could happen, worst team in the NFL? gasp!  No playoffs for 10 years? gasp!  No Super Bowl for 50? gasp!  Idk, but you're right.  Good thing we have that extra million/s of Woody's money.  

The Jets were bidding against themselves for Anderson, who they couldn’t even get more than a 4 for on the trade market two years in a row. But, sure, just keep upping the offer to someone like that who ended up signing a one year deal. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, JiF said:

Idk, what you're talking about but who's problem is it if it's not JD's?  

An organizational problem that existed long before Douglas arrived.  The same organization problem that prevented the Jets from signing Kirk Cousins and Anthony Barr when they offered them a good bit more money than the Vikings did.  For years, FA's have used the Jets as leverage to get more money out of the teams they REALLY want to go to.  Either that, or the Jets bid against themselves in the process of overpaying players like Le'Veon Bell, CJ Mosley, Trumaine Johnson, Muhammad Wilkerson, and many others.

This is ultimately an ownership problem.  The owners who hired Mike Maccagnan (and Idzik and Tannenbaum before them, plus Bowles and Gase) who got played like a fool time and again by the other 31 teams in the league.  Douglas walked into that, he didn't create the problem.

The only way to correct things is to allow Douglas to handle all football decisions, including the hiring of the next HC.  Together, Douglas and the HC need to pick the QB, then go from there.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

The Jets were bidding against themselves for Anderson, who they couldn’t even get more than a 4 for on the trade market two years in a row. But, sure, just keep upping the offer to someone like that who ended up signing a one year deal. 

You're right, he played it perfect.  The Jets are much better off.   Bidding against themselves/giving more money really would have broke this team.  They certainly dont need any more picks.  And there was really no way to recover from it when you really think about it. 

Is a, kudos in order?  Maybe I should give JD a kudos for how he handle Robby.  It's clearly paying off. 

• Upvote 3

Robby Anderson being a Jet today makes zero difference to the state of the Jets today.  We're still 0-4 and looking at the #1 pick potentially wirh Anderson.  He makes no difference to our 2020 nightmare of a season.

We we're 31st/32nd in Offense with Anderson in 2019.  Pretty much the worst offense in the NFL.

Had Anderson chose to stay, why would the expectation be we'd be better than the 31st/31st Offense we are now?  

Crying over meaningless homer fantasies is pretty typical for this site, but seriously, give it a rest.  We sucked with Anderson, now we suck almost exactly the same without Anderson and with a WR room full of injuries.  That, above all, should tell you how little Anderson was worth here.  The needle didn't really move at all for US after he was gone.  

• Thumb Down 1

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

An organizational problem that existed long before Douglas arrived.  The same organization problem that prevented the Jets from signing Kirk Cousins and Anthony Barr when they offered them a good bit more money than the Vikings did.  For years, FA's have used the Jets as leverage to get more money out of the teams they REALLY want to go to.  

This is ultimately an ownership problem.  The owners who hired Mike Maccagnan (and Idzik and Tannenbaum before them, plus Bowles and Gase) who got played like a fool time and again by the other 31 teams in the league.  Douglas walked into that, he didn't create the problem.

The only way to correct things is to allow Douglas to handle all football decisions, including the hiring of the next HC.  Together, Douglas and the HC need to pick the QB, then go from there.

Yeah the organization is a disaster so does that mean everyone gets a pass?  Does Mac get a pass?  lol

The bold, I agree but that's not the set up.  JD cant even fire Gase.   lol

Just now, JiF said:

You're right, he played it perfect.  The Jets are much better off.   Bidding against themselves/giving more money really would have broke this team.  They certainly dont need any more picks.  And there was really no way to recover from it when you really think about it. 

Is a, kudos in order?  Maybe I should give JD a kudos for how he handle Robby.  It's clearly paying off. 

It’s grand that he’s playing well down in Carolina and I’m sure 31 other teams are kicking themselves for not giving him 4/$60mm. 

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

Yes, rage against Joe Douglas for a problem that existed for over a decade prior to his arrival.  Totally a worthwhile use of one's time.

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

Yeah the organization is a disaster so does that mean everyone gets a pass?  Does Mac get a pass?  lol

The bold, I agree but that's not the set up.  JD cant even fire Gase.   lol

Macc is part of that organizational disaster.  Of course he doesn't get a pass, but he ultimately wasn't the biggest problem.  The ones who hired him were.  He was a horrible hire, a guy the Texans were looking to get rid of  before we hired him on the advise of 2 guys who had no "skin in the game".  Did Charlie Casserly face ANY negative consequences to his poor advice?  Of course not.  And nor should he.  He doesn't work here.  Just like Peyton Manning won't face any negative consequences for recommending Adam Gase.  Only Jets fans will remember that that happened.

For the 2nd part of your post, that's exactly what I want to see happen:  For Chris Johnson to take a major step back, allow Douglas to be the one to fire Gase and hire the next HC.  As long as ownership plays a role in hiring GM's and HC's and meddling in football decisions, this will just be a vicious cycle that won't end until the Johnson's sell the team.

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

Everyone gets a pass! 

Douglas deserves one, for now.  If his first draft class busts and he proves to be poor at drafting overall, and/or missed on a QB, he'll be deservedly fired.

And if/when that happens, the Johnson's will be hiring the next GM, sure to be a failure.  And around and around we'll go.  

For now, its Douglas or bust.  The top 2 assets in the entire organization (by far) are, for now, Joe Douglas and Mekhi Becton, in whatever order you want to put them.

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Macc is part of that organizational disaster.  Of course he doesn't get a pass, but he ultimately wasn't the biggest problem.  The ones who hired him were.  He was a horrible hire, a guy the Texans were looking to get rid of  before we hired him on the advise of 2 guys who had no "skin in the game".  Did Charlie Casserly face ANY negative consequences to his poor advice?  Of course not.  And nor should he.  He doesn't work here.

For the 2nd part of your post, that's exactly what I want to see happen:  For Chris Johnson to take a major step back, allow Douglas to be the one to fire Gase and hire the next HC.  As long as ownership plays a role in hiring GM's and HC's and meddling in football decisions, this will just be a vicious cycle that won't end until the Johnson's sell the team.

This is all very pointless if we're just going to blame everything on the Johnsons.  Like, what's the point of even having the conversation?  And not that I disagree but are the Johnsons to blame for what looks like another disaster draft?

Agreed my wish is to have Chris hand it all over to JD and lets ride or die but we both know that wont happen.