Daniel Jeremiah on Sam

BCJet

2 hours ago, BCJet said:

DJ was on Ryen Rusillo's podcast going over his evaluation of the 2018 QB class then and now this week and had some interesting things to say on Sam.

He said the issues that Sam had coming out regarding fumbling have been fixed and that he continues to play well off script, but that his off script ability in college might have just masked his struggles on script.  

That being said, he stressed that Sam is younger then Joe Burrow and could see a Tannenhill-type resurgence once he gets out of this offense.  He said that Gase's offense is not only a bad fit as it focuses on the QB staying in the pocket but he doesn't get any easy completions, is very predictable, and hasn't evolved at all.  He stressed that Sam still needs to figure out his mechanics and has to get his feet better (ints coming when he throws off his back foot) but said multiple teams will look to fix him if hes available in a trade.

Exactly. 23 year old QBs that have played 3 years in the NFL dont grow on trees ?
We have never had a decent running game in those 3 years. Once vs Jax maybe. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

I get that the roster is poor,  but that doesn’t excuse the coach from poor game planning.   He runs that same 6-8 yard crossing route with the slot so often and teams jump that and take it away, he never has anything behind that route.  It’s wide open for the outside WR to run a medium to deep post or dig route, or a TE down the seam.  They rarely attack between the numbers 15-30 yards downfield.  

People blame Sam I get it, I do but...

HOW IN THE WORLD DO YOU EVEN THINK OF DEFENDING GASE!

Gase uses no pre-snap movement, runs predictable schemes as you correctly point out and for the FINAL STRAW Gase admits that he and his elf OC Loggains actually alternate when and who calls plays and is in the ear of the QB (Darnold).

Are you kidding me?

Who runs an offense like that?  Let me keep it simple NO SUCESSFUL offense in the NFL makes all of these mistakes.  NO ONE!

It's a joke!

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

3 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

That’s so true.  The vast majority of run plays are run between just 2 gaps, and the passing game in centered around the slot receiver running a shallow crossing route.  I’ve been saying all year that it is just a poorly constructed offense with zero imagination and zero adjustments when teams take away the slot receiver.  Whether Sam turns thing around elsewhere remains to be seen, but Gase’s offense is a complete joke.  

Yeah I can’t see trading this kid Lawrence or no Lawrence for peanuts, it’s going to suck watching him win a SB for another team.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Gastineau Lives said:

I understand disappointment but this sounds like MAWMMMYYY THE TOY YOU BOUGHT ME IS BWOOKEENNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!! I WANNA KIW ITTT

The Bird Who Came To Dinner (1961) - The Internet Animation Database

He's a good kid and works hard, doesn't cause trouble through the media. I don't understand the anger.

“He’s good kid” he’s getting paid millions he better be and in fact you just described 99.9%  of the players in the league. His “good behavior” in part is rewarded in the millions he’s paid each year. I don’t understand why fans need to bring that up about any professional athlete, when that’s expected. Only if you need a positive to spew about a QB where after 3 years 30+ starts has proven to be a top 5 bust in NY jets history.

Amazing 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

“He’s good kid” he’s getting paid millions he better be and in fact you just described 99.9%  of the players in the league. His “good behavior” in part is rewarded in the millions he’s paid each year. I don’t understand why fans need to bring that up about any professional athlete, when that’s expected. Only if you need a positive to spew about a QB where after 3 years 30+ starts has proven to be a top 5 bust in NY jets history.

Amazing 

So the actual anger at him makes sense then because he what, stole money that he didn't deserve? Help me out here.

If you're going to basically do everything but curse at a guy because he hasn't played to your expectations but has done his best, then you really don't deserve to celebrate guys when they do. You're a trash fan. These are still people we're talking about here.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Icer said:

Sunday: Darnold sucks

Monday: Darnold is a bust

Wednesday: Darnold's not that bad

Thursday: Darnold's 23 years old guys, did you know he's younger than Joe Burrow and always will be because that's how time works?

Friday: Darnold is the guy even though he hasn't had a great game in 4 years we just need to give him KC's weapons and PIT's Oline

So Friday is the day that you overstate and dumb down people who's opinion differ from you and remove all the nuance from their opinions to make your point. 

I don't like Fridays. 

If you buy a sports car and complain it gets stuck in the snow that sh*t is on you.
They needed a coaching staff and offense built around Sam’s strengths. They went in the opposite direction.
What exactly are his strengths ??

Ability to turn the ball over ?
Ability to not play well in the pocket ?
Ability not to call audibles?
Ability not to see open receivers ?
Ability not to manage the game ?

Please elaborate on these elite Abilities ...

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

If you buy a sports car and complain it gets stuck in the snow that sh*t is on you.

They needed a coaching staff and offense built around Sam’s strengths. They went in the opposite direction.

In this analogy you spent Porsche money and got a Hyundai.

• Upvote 3

Serious question I don’t know what qualifies Sam as being seen as a Ryan Tannehill, like wtf did we watch the same qb for the past 3 years? I’m being serious what about Sams game makes him special to the Sam defenders? Is it the average and inaccurate arm strength? Is it is OK ability to scramble? (Every QB can scramble now mind you) Is it his his very limited ability to read a professional NFL defense? What is it?????? I’m being serious when asking this 

jet fans should feel insulted for the mainstream media pushing this idiotic idea of Sam going elsewhere and blossoming. The NFL is the easiest it has ever been(Even compared to when Ryan Tannehill was in MIA) for QB’s, we will likely never see a dominant defense like the 2000 Ravens, 85 Bears etc. because of the rule changes.

YOU DONT NEED 3 YEARS TO SEE WHAT YOU HAVE IN A QB, ITS PLUG AND PLAY FOR TOP 10 picks. After witnessing a true franchise Qb in ROOKIE JUSTIN HERBERT, you people really tell me you can’t see the night and day difference between him and Sam?

Darnold sucked his rookie year throwing 17 TD and 13 iNt, he sucked he second year, he blows now. So please somebody explain to me how does Sam Darnold deserve to be looked at as anything but a top 5 Jets all time draft bust????????????????

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Serious question I don’t know what qualifies Sam as being seen as a Ryan Tannehill, like wtf did we watch the same qb for the past 3 years? I’m being serious what about Sams game makes him special to the Sam defenders? Is it the average and inaccurate arm strength? Is it is OK ability to scramble? (Every QB can scramble now mind you) Is it his his very limited ability to read a professional NFL defense? What is it?????? I’m being serious when asking this 

jet fans should feel insulted for the mainstream media pushing this idiotic idea of Sam going elsewhere and blossoming. The NFL is the easiest it has ever been(Even compared to when Ryan Tannehill was in MIA) for QB’s, we will likely never see a dominant defense like the 2000 Ravens, 85 Bears etc. because of the rule changes.

YOU DONT NEED 3 YEARS TO SEE WHAT YOU HAVE IN A QB, ITS PLUG AND PLAY FOR TOP 10 picks. After witnessing a true franchise Qb in ROOKIE JUSTIN HERBERT, you people really tell me you can’t see the night and day difference between him and Sam?

Darnold sucked his rookie year throwing 17 TD and 13 iNt, he sucked he second year, he blows now. So please somebody explain to me how does Sam Darnold deserve to be looked at as anything but a top 5 Jets all time draft bust????????????????

HKSAIENRJAOIFDNAOJDFOJEAOFJDIIAOFDJOAJIDFJSANKVNOADFJ WOEAJFLSAJDFLSJAD FASFJDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????

16 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

So the actual anger at him makes sense then because he what, stole money that he didn't deserve? Help me out here.

If you're going to basically do everything but curse at a guy because he hasn't played to your expectations but has done his best, then you really don't deserve to celebrate guys when they do. You're a trash fan. These are still people we're talking about here.

Ummmm that’s usually how it works in professional sports especially when it’s a top 5 draft pick getting paid a “Kings ransom to play a child’s game” 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, fullblast said:

Loggains used a ton of motion in that Buffalo game he called and it appeared to work well. Of course, Sam still made some bad reads and late throws that kept points off the board, but the difference in rhythm and execution compared to Gase's playcalling was stark.

Dan Orslvosky did a great breakdown of how Green Bay uses motion to make things easier for not just for Rogers but for all the receivers to see the coverage and know where to go presnap.  Smart teams are doing that every week and Gase actually says he "doesn't like to use motion" - hes an atrocity of a coach.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Currently he doesnt do anything well.  Struggles pre-snap, hasn't improved his mechanics and continues to throw interceptions.  

The point is that while 50% of this is on him, a lot of it is on the coaching as well.

Why is he bad pre-snap?  Well he may not be very smart but wouldnt it help to have his offensive minded coach use motion to help him identify the defense and then be better able to know where to go with the football?

Why does he struggle with simple throw.  Its certainly his mechanics, but does his HC every get him easy completions to get into a rhythm like other good coaches do all the time?

Why does he routinely not see defenders who swoop in for interceptions?  Well he certainly struggles seeing the whole field, but why exactly does he have to?  Couldn't his HC roll him out and give him split field reads, especially since he is athletic and can make throws off script?

Im not a Sam defender, I wish he could have been successful here but we need to draft  QB this year.  But you cant put it all on a 23 year old kid when his coach isnt just "bad" hes completely and utterly useless.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

The point is the Jets did absolutely nothing to develop him and help him grow. All we did was make moves to stunt his growth. You don’t draft a QB and then proceed to give him the leagues worst OL, Braxton Berrios and Adam Gase. 

29 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

What exactly are his strengths ??

Ability to turn the ball over ?
Ability to not play well in the pocket ?
Ability not to call audibles?
Ability not to see open receivers ?
Ability not to manage the game ?

Please elaborate on these elite Abilities ...

When did I say “elite” ? Never.

Darnold was described as a talented but raw, who had a fumbling problem and lacked mechanics.

He needed a coaching staff with heavy roll out, play action, and uptempo. He had his limits which were well documented before he was drafted. 

8 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

The point is the Jets did absolutely nothing to develop him and help him grow. All we did was make moves to stunt his growth. You don’t draft a QB and then proceed to give him the leagues worst OL, Braxton Berrios and Adam Gase. 

what about Sams game makes him special to the Sam defenders? Is it the average and inaccurate arm strength? Is it is OK ability to scramble? (Every QB can scramble now mind you) Is it his his very limited ability to read a professional NFL defense? What is it?????? I’m being serious when asking this 

these are my questions that can be asked regardless of the talent level on the team or the coach 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

what about Sams game makes him special to the Sam defenders? Is it the average and inaccurate arm strength? Is it is OK ability to scramble? (Every QB can scramble now mind you) Is it his his very limited ability to read a professional NFL defense? What is it?????? I’m being serious when asking this 

these are my questions that can be asked regardless of the talent level on the team or the coach 

He just needs better coaching, "weapons", a cathartic moment of clarity when the heavens open and he is immediately graced by the Creator with the ability to read defenses, not panic under mild pressure, and stop throwing mind numbing picks.  It will happen.  Trust me.

• Post of the Week 1

When did I say “elite” ? Never.
Darnold was described as a talented but raw, who had a fumbling problem and lacked mechanics.
He needed a coaching staff with heavy roll out, play action, and uptempo. He had his limits which were well documented before he was drafted. 
He was scouted as an elite prospect ... here is a link to Walter Football's report on Sam ...

Nothing has improved except his fumbling woes.

One of the most damaging weaknesses he has not overcome...

"Needs to start games faster"

Also he has regressed all over the board.

WALTER FOOTBALL REPORT

[https://walterfootball]

Sam Darnold, 6-3/221

Quarterback

USC

Sam Darnold Scouting Report
By Charlie Campbell

Strengths:

Naturally accurate passer

Fits passes into tight windows

Excellnt ball placement

Throws a catchable ball

Pocket presence

Has poise

Advanced anticipation; instinctive thrower

Throws with good timing

Can accelerate his throwing motion

Quality arm strength

Pushed team to wins

Good internal clock

Mobility

Throws very well on the run

Throws accurately off platform

Displays some feel in the pocket

Not easy to sack

Can hurt defenses on the ground

Can make all the throws required

Can pick up yards on the ground

Threads passes into tight windows

Throws receivers open

Can beat good coverage with his arm and accuracy

Potential for good field vision

Can move eyes through progressions

Smooth, natural passer

Instincts

Stands tall in the pocket

Throws knowing he is going get hit

Impressive precision

Great fit for a west coast offense

Good footwork

Good ball placement and timing to lead receivers for yards after the catch

Excellent intangibles

Smart

Good worker

Good teammate

Upside

Weaknesses:

Ball security

Too many interceptions

Too many fumbles

Had some confidence issues in 2017

Doesn't secure the ball well when getting sacked

Good enough not doesn't have elite arm strength

Throwing mechanics are a bit unorthodox

Needs to start games faster

NOTHING but fumbling has changed for the better.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

He just needs better coaching, "weapons", a cathartic moment of clarity when the heavens open and he is immediately graced by the Creator with the ability to read defenses, not panic under mild pressure, and stop throwing mind numbing picks.  It will happen.  Trust me.

Maccagnans fault Darnold sucks seems to be the position

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, usanyj said:

That rose bowl game was an incredible game.  His touchdown pass late in the game was one of the most beautiful passes I’ve seen, college or pro.

it’s a real shame how far Sam has fallen.

considering how rare we've seen a throw like that fromSam?..it was lucky.

• Post of the Week 1

40 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

He was scouted as an elite prospect ... here is a link to Walter Football's report on Sam ...

Nothing has improved except his fumbling woes.

One of the most damaging weaknesses he has not overcome...

"Needs to start games faster"

Also he has regressed all over the board.

WALTER FOOTBALL REPORT

[https://walterfootball]

Sam Darnold, 6-3/221

Quarterback

USC

Sam Darnold Scouting Report
By Charlie Campbell

Strengths:

Naturally accurate passer

Fits passes into tight windows

Excellnt ball placement

Throws a catchable ball

Pocket presence

Has poise

Advanced anticipation; instinctive thrower

Throws with good timing

Can accelerate his throwing motion

Quality arm strength

Pushed team to wins

Good internal clock

Mobility

Throws very well on the run

Throws accurately off platform

Displays some feel in the pocket

Not easy to sack

Can hurt defenses on the ground

Can make all the throws required

Can pick up yards on the ground

Threads passes into tight windows

Throws receivers open

Can beat good coverage with his arm and accuracy

Potential for good field vision

Can move eyes through progressions

Smooth, natural passer

Instincts

Stands tall in the pocket

Throws knowing he is going get hit

Impressive precision

Great fit for a west coast offense

Good footwork

Good ball placement and timing to lead receivers for yards after the catch

Excellent intangibles

Smart

Good worker

Good teammate

Upside

Weaknesses:

Ball security

Too many interceptions

Too many fumbles

Had some confidence issues in 2017

Doesn't secure the ball well when getting sacked

Good enough not doesn't have elite arm strength

Throwing mechanics are a bit unorthodox

Needs to start games faster

NOTHING but fumbling has changed for the better.

Stopped reading at Walter Football. Lol 

2 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

So Friday is the day that you overstate and dumb down people who's opinion differ from you and remove all the nuance from their opinions to make your point. 

I don't like Fridays. 

Friday is the day I tap out on reading these takes about how we have a secretly good QB in hiding yeah

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1