TL is not a big game QB

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

There's definitely some truth to your criticisms of Peyton and Marino but they're still top 10 of all time and we'd still have loved to have had them, no? 

Also, we have no idea yet if TL or JF are going to be "big game QBs" in the NFL either.  And fwiw, Marino does have a famous clutch pass against Georgia (2:35:23).  So if you want to say that a QB being heroic in a big college game is significant then how do you reconcile that play against your comment that Marino "never lifted that team and his teams were stacked".  (I'm not a believer that those teams were stacked btw.  And Duper and Clayton were far more products of Marino than vice-versa).

Honestly, I want Mahomes. I want a guy that comes in and lights it up and leads you deep in the playoffs out of the gate.  I am tired of this wait and see bs. I know a lot has to do with the organization and that is why I don't  think we have to have a QB because this team is shot full of holes. 

To answer your question, I would love to have a Peyton or Dan but that is more because of the terrible QB we have had. It would be progress. 

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

i don't know if anyone can say that based on a single game.  the osu pass rush had something to do with it.  lawrence was getting pummeled all night.  and then he was also being overshadowed by fields who made some really nice down field throws.

Basically he was getting the Darnold treatment. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Very untrue.

Sure Denver's defense was a good..but Manning played an incredibly smart game and scored when he had to.  He understood he had a great defense.  But if you watched the game, every time they went down - Manning countered.  When they had a lead he bled the clock and didn't take chances.

He was a game manager. He didn't  win it.

1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

Yeah except thats a dumb way to evaluate things. Trevor Lawrence could lead his team to 13 wins a year for a decade and only won 1 Super Bowl. Doesn’t mean he wasn’t great. Playoffs are 1 game samples, in college the represent a game between two similar level opponents, in the pros the gaps are minuscule and less telling.

Ok, Never mind then. It's  ok if the guy gets us 12 wins in the regular  season and loses in the first round.

2 hours ago, lattyshakespear said:

Typical. Everyone wanted Lawrence, aka the greatest prospect in the history of sports, then as soon as we lose the first pick he becomes overrated and it's actually a good thing for us to have missed out on him. 

Fields is now the best prospect.

Why doesn't the Jets front office just use their heads for once and stick with Darnold instead of going after the latest shiny toy just to make the fan base happy. 

Build around Darnold and give him a smart and unpredictable system to play in and he'll be better than both these guys. He'll also show how much better he is than Tua and Allen.

People keep talking about how good Allen supposedly is. If that's in any way true Darnold is the man to take him down, not yet another overhyped rookie 

Sorry Mrs. Darnold.  We're drafting a QB.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Ok, Never mind then. It's  ok if the guy gets us 12 wins in the regular  season and loses in the first round.

Except that never happens unless your QB is just along for the ride, like Alex Smith. The best QBs get their shot and then have 1 game that determines their “big game ability.” It is a flawed and simple way to evaluate a talent.

14 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Except that never happens unless your QB is just along for the ride, like Alex Smith. The best QBs get their shot and then have 1 game that determines their “big game ability.” It is a flawed and simple way to evaluate a talent.

Manning did it most of his career. Do you remember the AFC wild card game against Pennington?

1 hour ago, Sammybighead said:

Lol big game QB. Guys, it’s a function of the team around you. Last night Clemson’s oline was overwhelmed and Trevor/Etienne looked bad. Trevor got a taste of what Sam has been experiencing for years.

Function of the team around you?  LOLOLOLOLOL.

Sanchez 2012 had no team around him and you threw him under the bus and ran him out of town.  Tony Sporano, Chaz Schillens, Clyde Gates, Austin Howard, Shonne Green 2.0 The Fat Edition, but no, let Trevor and Sam off the hook.

SAR I

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Ny Jets Nfl GIF by Bleacher Report

mooresfault.jpg

It was 1 play.  And, as we now have proven, it wasn't Mark's fault, that bastard coward Brandon Moore got humiliated and thrown like a ragdoll into his own quarterback. 

It wasn't a "Buttfumble".  It was a "Guardtoss".

SAR I

there have been plenty of qbs that have lit it up in their respective conferences.  it seems nearly every year a qb comes out that has broken this record or that record at the school he's from.  sometimes it's meaningful but most likely it's all about the rest of the team and the play of the other teams in the conference.

i don't think there's enough in last nights game to knock down lawrence.  the phrase bigtime qb has been thrown out but you still have to grind out the 16 game season before getting into the show.  i think i'd rather have the qb who is consistently good game and game out, and doesn't lose games by turning the ball over.  lawrence seems to be checking all those boxes.  fields too but it looks like he has a dominant team.

11 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

There can be a happy medium where Lawrence is still a very good prospect worthy of the #1 pick and people acknowledge he's never been the flawless spam dunk prospect he's been made out to be.

Did you stay up to be on the site till 2PM? What kind of beer were you consuming??

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

There can be a happy medium where Lawrence is still a very good prospect worthy of the #1 pick and people acknowledge he's never been the flawless spam dunk prospect he's been made out to be.

But that’s too boring. You have to have a hot take where you either love or hate the prospect. Not referring to you btw @More Cowbell, this is aimed more broadly. 

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

He threw for 400 yards.

His defense let him down.

He fumbled like 3 times, threw one pick and should have picked a 2nd time.  Also the yards seemed to mean nothing for his backup when notre dame beat clemson.

He played okay but only okay, the words can't miss, generational has been hung around his neck.

He's a good QB prospect and will be selected 1st overall.  He is not a must have prospect.

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Peyton also was not a big game QB. Look at his playoff history. I don't  want to hear he won 2 SB's he has a bigger history of pooping the bed than not. 

Dan for all his stats never lifted that team and his teams were stacked.i could only wish we get a WR like Duper and your #2 is Clayton. 

2 5'9 wr's ?? It took a 2nd rd pick and a 8th rd pick (Today a UDFA) It was Marino who made them not the other way around.. Who was the stacked RB Marino had??

46 minutes ago, SAR I said:

mooresfault.jpg

It was 1 play.  And, as we now have proven, it wasn't Mark's fault, that bastard coward Brandon Moore got humiliated and thrown like a ragdoll into his own quarterback. 

It wasn't a "Buttfumble".  It was a "Guardtoss".

SAR I

Mark Sanchez take the snap and turned the wrong way to handoff the ball and the back runs right past him. If he turns the right way, the handoff is successfully executed and Sanchez is nowhere near Moore. Instead Sanchez panics and plants his face in Moores butt. 

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

OB-FH396_jetswi_G_20100117213339.jpg

Rookie QB beats a 13-3 team that had won 11 straight games and you think he didn’t have a Big Game performance because of stats?

Sometimes it’s the throws you don’t attempt that make the difference.  That was one of those games.  

SAR I

I give you a lot of $h!t, but one thing that I agree on, is not that Sanchez was the greatest, but his 1st year with us was very telling of the QB he could have been.

3 hours ago, lattyshakespear said:

Typical. Everyone wanted Lawrence, aka the greatest prospect in the history of sports, then as soon as we lose the first pick he becomes overrated and it's actually a good thing for us to have missed out on him. 

Fields is now the best prospect.

Why doesn't the Jets front office just use their heads for once and stick with Darnold instead of going after the latest shiny toy just to make the fan base happy. 

Build around Darnold and give him a smart and unpredictable system to play in and he'll be better than both these guys. He'll also show how much better he is than Tua and Allen.

People keep talking about how good Allen supposedly is. If that's in any way true Darnold is the man to take him down, not yet another overhyped rookie 

Ahhh another Pro-Sam poster good for you keep thinking that JD needs to keep a QB who he did not Draft and had the Worst QBR in the NFL on the team. 

1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

This. Except there are no “happy mediums” on this board. I have been watching Clemson all season since this board declared him the second coming, but he never impressed me as more than a good college quarterback on a great team.

If we got him I wouldn’t complain, but I’m not losing my mind because we won a couple of games. Personally, I like seeing my team win.

Build a team around Darnold and let’s see what happens. If he fails we have a lot of draft capital next year and we will have a team for the next quarterback.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bruce Harper said:

Sorry Mrs. Darnold.  We're drafting a QB.

And we'll all regret it when Sam goes to the probowl and playoffs for another team.

It's always the same here, everyone was drooling over Lawrence until the Jags won the first pick, now those same people are saying Fields is the best of the two. 

A smart GM would ignore the fans and build around Darnold. I guarantee he ends his career with more success than Tua, Allen, Fields or Lawrence.

1 minute ago, viffer said:

Build a team around Darnold and let’s see what happens. If he fails we have a lot of draft capital next year and we will have a team for the next quarterback.

Not gonna happen. Darnold may compete against the QB the Jets draft (Fields or Wilson), but JD isn't going to focus on building around Darnold at this point.

3 minutes ago, viffer said:

This. Except there are no “happy mediums” on this board. I have been watching Clemson all season since this board declared him the second coming, but he never impressed me as more than a good college quarterback on a great team.

If we got him I wouldn’t complain, but I’m not losing my mind because we won a couple of games. Personally, I like seeing my team win.

Damn you were so close to making a good point but you ruined by saying build around the worst starting QB in the league.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

Not gonna happen. Darnold may compete against the QB the Jets draft (Fields or Wilson), but JD isn't going to focus on building around Darnold at this point.

Just like everyone on this board knew that we would NEVER beat LA or the Browns, everyone knows what JD is going to do. It wouldn’t shock me if he took a QB, but I wouldn’t bet on it. I think a lot depends on who we get as HC. If the new HC thinks he can win with Darnold then JD is not going to draft a QB at #2.

28 minutes ago, viffer said:

Just like everyone on this board knew that we would NEVER beat LA or the Browns, everyone knows what JD is going to do. It wouldn’t shock me if he took a QB, but I wouldn’t bet on it. I think a lot depends on who we get as HC. If the new HC thinks he can win with Darnold then JD is not going to draft a QB at #2.

Maybe, but somehow, I doubt a head coach is going to want to tie his future to Sam Darnold, nor would JD want a potential repeat of Darnold playing like this next season. It's JD's time to shine now, and I doubt he'll want to bet on Darnold. Likely odds are Fields or even Wilson will be the pick as of now.