TL is not a big game QB

He has been in 3 big college games and has not played well in any of them. Last night I was hoping he would have a great game but this was another case of not stepping up. Is this the kind of guy that goes first overall? If I am the Jags GM, this is something I am thinking about. Mental toughness is something  every NFL QB must have. Feilds on the other hand has planted his flag and I would not be surprised if the Jags took him over TL. 

IMO, TL has dropped out of the generational talent club last night.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 3
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Peyton Manning was 0-4 vs Florida.  Dan Marino's numbers fell off his senior year in college.

Peyton also was not a big game QB. Look at his playoff history. I don't  want to hear he won 2 SB's he has a bigger history of pooping the bed than not. 

Dan for all his stats never lifted that team and his teams were stacked.i could only wish we get a WR like Duper and your #2 is Clayton. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, lattyshakespear said:

Typical. Everyone wanted Lawrence, aka the greatest prospect in the history of sports, then as soon as we lose the first pick he becomes overrated and it's actually a good thing for us to have missed out on him. 

Fields is now the best prospect.

Why doesn't the Jets front office just use their heads for once and stick with Darnold instead of going after the latest shiny toy just to make the fan base happy. 

Build around Darnold and give him a smart and unpredictable system to play in and he'll be better than both these guys. He'll also show how much better he is than Tua and Allen.

People keep talking about how good Allen supposedly is. If that's in any way true Darnold is the man to take him down, not yet another overhyped rookie 

Allen is legit. Have you watched him this season? I would now be shocked if we don't  take a QB at 2.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

Peyton also was not a big game QB. Look at his playoff history. I don't  want to hear he won 2 SB's he has a bigger history of pooping the bed than not. 

Dan for all his stats never lifted that team and his teams were stacked.i could only wish we get a WR like Duper and your #2 is Clayton. 

Damn I’d hate it if Trevor Lawrence only won 2 Super Bowls 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Damn I’d hate it if Trevor Lawrence only won 2 Super Bowls 

Peyton did not win the SB in Denver. He was on the winning team but that D win the game.

The AFC needs a guy that can compete with Mahomes and KC. We need someone that isn't  going to wilt. Mahomes is a big Game QB. You saw that in the first playoff game with NE. NE won because they won the OT coin toss. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

There's definitely some truth to your criticisms of Peyton and Marino but they're still top 10 of all time and we'd still have loved to have had them, no? 

Also, we have no idea yet if TL or JF are going to be "big game QBs" in the NFL either.  And fwiw, Marino does have a famous clutch pass against Georgia (2:35:23).  So if you want to say that a QB being heroic in a big college game is significant then how do you reconcile that play against your comment that Marino "never lifted that team and his teams were stacked".  (I'm not a believer that those teams were stacked btw.  And Duper and Clayton were far more products of Marino than vice-versa).

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

He threw for 400 yards.

His defense let him down.

It's college Football, you have to keep up and score with the other team.  Even Saban knows this.  The Clemson offense had 7, 3 and outs because he couldnt hit open WR's, multiple dropped INT's and multiple turnovers.  TL was a big reason that Clemson lost last night.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

17 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Peyton Manning was 0-4 vs Florida.  Dan Marino's numbers fell off his senior year in college.

Yup. 

And Mark Sanchez was the greatest Big Game Quarterback in New York Jets history and people like Cowbell tossed him aside like a spent little container of Chicken McNuggets sweet and sour sauce.  

SAR I

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, JiF said:

It's college Football, you have to keep up and score with the other team.  Even Saban knows this.  The Clemson offense had 7, 3 and outs because he couldnt hit open WR's, multiple dropped INT's and multiple turnovers.  TL was a big reason that Clemson lost last night.

Clemsons vaunted defense is the major reason they lost last night.

At this level teams have to play some defense.  OSU's defense showed up.  Clemson's didn't.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Yup. 

And Mark Sanchez was the greatest Big Game Quarterback in New York Jets history and people like Cowbell tossed him aside like a spent little container of Chicken McNuggets sweet and sour sauce.  

SAR I

https://www.espn.com/nfl/game?gameId=300117024

M. Sanchez12-23, 100 YDS, 1 TD, 1 INT

27 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

He has been in 3 big college games and has not played well in any of them. Last night I was hoping he would have a great game but this was another case of not stepping up. Is this the kind of guy that goes first overall? If I am the Jags GM, this is something I am thinking about. Mental toughness is something  every NFL QB must have. Feilds on the other hand has planted his flag and I would not be surprised if the Jags took him over TL. 

IMO, TL has dropped out of the generational talent club last night.

i don't know if anyone can say that based on a single game.  the osu pass rush had something to do with it.  lawrence was getting pummeled all night.  and then he was also being overshadowed by fields who made some really nice down field throws.

19 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Peyton did not win the SB in Denver. He was on the winning team but that D win the game.

The AFC needs a guy that can compete with Mahomes and KC. We need someone that isn't  going to wilt. Mahomes is a big Game QB. You saw that in the first playoff game with NE. NE won because they won the OT coin toss. 

Very untrue.

Sure Denver's defense was a good..but Manning played an incredibly smart game and scored when he had to.  He understood he had a great defense.  But if you watched the game, every time they went down - Manning countered.  When they had a lead he bled the clock and didn't take chances.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

9 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

OB-FH396_jetswi_G_20100117213339.jpg

Rookie QB beats a 13-3 team that had won 11 straight games and you think he didn’t have a Big Game performance because of stats?

Sometimes it’s the throws you don’t attempt that make the difference.  That was one of those games.  

SAR I

It's not that TL isn't a good QB, what worries me is the same thing all of you guys accuse Darnold of lacking, yet call TL a generational QB. He lost 3 fumbles when he was pressured. He throws off his back foot... He's not a generational QB, period. It's Clemson for goodness sake, They play in the ACC, not the SEC.

• Upvote 3

Bill Hader Reaction GIF

Im enjoying this... only only four more months to go. Amazing how much people change their minds or are suddenly enlightened by what they just saw two minutes ago and speak with great conviction about what the Jets should do.

I can’t wait for the bama game to tune in- one way or the other.?

• Sympathy 1

23 minutes ago, SAR I said:

OB-FH396_jetswi_G_20100117213339.jpg

Rookie QB beats a 13-3 team that had won 11 straight games and you think he didn’t have a Big Game performance because of stats?

Sometimes it’s the throws you don’t attempt that make the difference.  That was one of those games.  

SAR I

Keep F'ing that chicken!  lol

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Clemsons vaunted defense is the major reason they lost last night.

At this level teams have to play some defense.  OSU's defense showed up.  Clemson's didn't.

Clemson has the talent on offense and a generational QB, they should be able to keep up.  Michael Penix Jr. of Indiana threw for 500 yards and 5 TD's and only lost by a TD.    Clemson's D didnt show up but neither did Clemson's star QB. They're both guilty parties. 

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Yeah except thats a dumb way to evaluate things. Trevor Lawrence could lead his team to 13 wins a year for a decade and only won 1 Super Bowl. Doesn’t mean he wasn’t great. Playoffs are 1 game samples, in college the represent a game between two similar level opponents, in the pros the gaps are minuscule and less telling.

Listen, Clemson defense did not show up last night two of there main starters
missed a half each for stupidity. They were on the field too damn long with Ohio O line running it down there throat. Can’t recall a game where the defense had to be on the field for such long stretches with all the 3 and outs.
On the other side Ohio defense was bringing it and keeping TL and ETN in check for the most part. I have to give big credit to Ohio’s game plan and Fields for a brilliant game. They have a huge chip on there shoulder and they came to play.
All that being said, I refuse to dismiss the previous years of exceptional QB play by TL. One game will not diminish
that for me nor will one game make Fields the great savior. Both these young men should have very good careers in the NFL, as both are extremely talented. After last night show by JF I would be more confident if he were our pick at 2. Yet, I stand by my original thought that if TL goes at 1
we should trade the pick and load up.
Now more then ever if we chose to stick with Sam one more year and see if away from Gase he can be reclaimed, that pick is solid gold. If TL is there at 2 then that’s the pick, I still believe he is a generational talent. If Jax takes him , then it’s my belief there will be many teams willing to trade up for JF and that could be worth the risk to keep Sam one more year and take the win fall that would come from that trade.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Thumb Down 1

44 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Very untrue.

Sure Denver's defense was a good..but Manning played an incredibly smart game and scored when he had to.  He understood he had a great defense.  But if you watched the game, every time they went down - Manning countered.  When they had a lead he bled the clock and didn't take chances.

Liesdotcom 

Lets now rewrite history to fit our narrative smfh

no Peyton Manning blew that year with all those duck hospital passes. You can’t be serious ????

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

I thought Gase was responsible for the win ?!?!?

3 big takeways from last night; 1. Northwestern's Pat Fitzgerald is a really good coach to have made Fields and OSU look lousy in the Big Ten championship,

2. Fields is a very good potential NFL QB.

3. Mac Jones is going to rise in draft boards over the next few weeks. Suspect people are going to discount him because Smith is going to be a great WR, but doesn't change Jones is really good too. 

That 2nd pick is going to be a very good QB and the Jets have to make that, period. 

• Upvote 1

Lol big game QB. Guys, it’s a function of the team around you. Last night Clemson’s oline was overwhelmed and Trevor/Etienne looked bad. Trevor got a taste of what Sam has been experiencing for years.

And don’t tell me how awesome Sanchez was. He had an OUTSTANDING oline and defense backing him up. His performances were also a function of the team around him. When that team crumbled, he never demonstrated an ability to carry a team on his own.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Funny, I saw the same thing I saw last night when the Giants beat a great NE O with Brady twice in the SB, the D line just dominates the Oline and in that case no QB can really do anything since your run game is stymied and you not only do not have enough time to consistently throw, but you start getting beat up physically at the QB position to where it even affects you mentally. It just now happened to TL and Clemson.

• Upvote 1